The Official Beer Appreciation Thread

Weave

3 weeks is probably about right. I tried mine at 1.5 the first time and its definetly better now that I let it condition a bit longer. Its been a while since this post, have you tried it yet?!

Something went terribly wrong, my beer is undrinkable. I admit I was little loosey goosey with temps making my wort. I think that is where I screwed the pooch. Already made second batch with some more controls in place. Hoping for a better result.

• 1 month later...

A new brewpub just opened in Mansfield called Phoenix Brewing. One of the guys from our brew club is a brewer/owner there. Beers are pretty good. Next time the sabres play the jackets stop in. It's only 15 mins off of 71 and about an hour north of Columbus.

I gave up beer for Lent. Let me tell ya: I appreciate beer now! I broke my beer fast with a Widmer Hefeweizen

I considered that, but gave up meat instead. Beer would have been much more difficult. That being said, Pasquale's pizza (with pepperoni) and wings were really difficult to resist on Saturday, but I did.

Edited by MattPie

Had a couple bottles of Bell's Smitten rye pale ale. Light in color, light and crisp in flavor. Definite rye notes. Well balanced with hop bitterness and flavor. I was surprised it is a 6% beer because it had a character that reminds me alot of Southern tier's Hop Sun. It was a very crisp, refreshing beer. I really like this one. Flavor-wise it is on the lighter side of pale ale. Nice for the coming warm months.

Had a couple bottles of Bell's Smitten rye pale ale. Light in color, light and crisp in flavor. Definite rye notes. Well balanced with hop bitterness and flavor. I was surprised it is a 6% beer because it had a character that reminds me alot of Southern tier's Hop Sun. It was a very crisp, refreshing beer. I really like this one. Flavor-wise it is on the lighter side of pale ale. Nice for the coming warm months.

Bell's has become a beer I search for now. Everything they make is good.

New Brewery opened. Had Red Rye Ale and a Summer Wheat for opening night... Both were really well done. Some of my friends didn't like them because they had low alcohol content (5.5 and 4.5). I thought they were both very good and the Summer Wheat was something I could see myself on a porch drinking all summer. It was light yet had a lot of good flavors.

I have a microbrewery at the end of my street and they have released this year's Berliner Weisse.

I have had some of their stuff.. trying to remember when and where.

New Brewery opened. Had Red Rye Ale and a Summer Wheat for opening night... Both were really well done. Some of my friends didn't like them because they had low alcohol content (5.5 and 4.5). I thought they were both very good and the Summer Wheat was something I could see myself on a porch drinking all summer. It was light yet had a lot of good flavors.

Where? :) What Brewery? And you nailed the entire point of low abv beer. :)

Taking a trip to Ommegang later this summer on the way to the 'dacks. Has anyone been there before?

Also dry hopping my IPA later this week, I'm gonna have like 10 gallons of beer to drink at the start of June.

Been there. Very scenic brewery. They run group tours on regular intervals and finish of with a tasting session involving their 5 main brands. If you stick around as everyone in your group is leaving and make small talk with the server about what you think of the beers you can usually entice them to pour you one or two more of their other beers.

Down the road a bit used to be Cooperstown Brewing. Was not impressed with their beers but I believe they have changed hands since.

Been there. Very scenic brewery. They run group tours on regular intervals and finish of with a tasting session involving their 5 main brands. If you stick around as everyone in your group is leaving and make small talk with the server about what you think of the beers you can usually entice them to pour you one or two more of their other beers.

Down the road a bit used to be Cooperstown Brewing. Was not impressed with their beers but I believe they have changed hands since.

sweet, thanks.

Taking a trip to Ommegang later this summer on the way to the 'dacks. Has anyone been there before?

Also dry hopping my IPA later this week, I'm gonna have like 10 gallons of beer to drink at the start of June.

http://www.haacht.com/en/Merken/Beers/Ommegang

Don't know if its the same , but not a fan of Ommegang over here, it reminds me of something in between a Duvel and Tongerlo blond, its not bad but i prefer the other two.

http://www.haacht.co.../Beers/Ommegang

Don't know if its the same , but not a fan of Ommegang over here, it reminds me of something in between a Duvel and Tongerlo blond, its not bad but i prefer the other two.

It may or may not be from Ommegang brewery here in the US but if it is, it is only one of many of the beers they make. Curious you find it similar to Duvel. Ommegang and Duvel and corporate relatives.

appreciate the recommendation.

in other news, while some beer enthusiasts say it's an oxymoron, "session IPAs" are gaining market traction.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyle/food-dining/2014/04/25/session-ipas-just-time-for-warmer-weather/vyMcsxqofM6VR7PZvyY5uL/story.html

i welcome the development. sometimes, i want the IPA flavor profile, but i don't want the full freight in ABV.

in other news, while some beer enthusiasts say it's an oxymoron, "session IPAs" are gaining market traction.

http://www.bostonglo...Y5uL/story.html

i welcome the development. sometimes, i want the IPA flavor profile, but i don't want the full freight in ABV.

These beers are the next craft beer fad it seems...many years ago it was the monster double IPA's, then black IPA's were the rage for awhile, now we get these session IPA's. I've had the offerings from Founders, Lagunitas and Terrapin. I enjoy them all, but I understand the purists getting irked by including IPA in the name. A sub 5%abv beer cannot be classified an IPA by BJCP guidelines, and they have too many IBU's to be an APA. I just call them "beers that I enjoy"

http://www.bostonglo...Y5uL/story.html

These beers are the next craft beer fad it seems...many years ago it was the monster double IPA's, then black IPA's were the rage for awhile, now we get these session IPA's. I've had the offerings from Founders, Lagunitas and Terrapin. I enjoy them all, but I understand the purists getting irked by including IPA in the name. A sub 5%abv beer cannot be classified an IPA by BJCP guidelines, and they have too many IBU's to be an APA. I just call them "beers that I enjoy"

I love session beers of all kinds. I don't care if they are mislabeled. A few years ago when the high gravity stuff was all the rage I was telling anyone that would listen that session beers should be the next "thing". I'm glad it is turning out that way.

They should be less expensive though, fewer raw materials and all.

Which Terrapin one did you have? Just curious because I am not sure if I have tried a Sessions IPA. I tend to dislike the dry after taste of IPA's so I shy away from them but maybe a slightly different style would be good.

Which Terrapin one did you have? Just curious because I am not sure if I have tried a Sessions IPA. I tend to dislike the dry after taste of IPA's so I shy away from them but maybe a slightly different style would be good.

http://terrapinbeer.com/brew/year-round/recreationale/

They don't include IPA in the name, but it's called a hopped up session ale. A friend of mine picked up some cans in Asheville last weekend, but I haven't seen them on the shelves around Raleigh yet.

http://terrapinbeer..../recreationale/

They don't include IPA in the name, but it's called a hopped up session ale. A friend of mine picked up some cans in Asheville last weekend, but I haven't seen them on the shelves around Raleigh yet.

Hmm, I may end up at Terrapin on Saturday, hopefully they will have this on tap. Thanks for the info!

Also by living in a town with a thriving craft beer culture and frequenting 2 bars with great draft and bottle selections, light beers and generic beers taste like crap to me now, there really is no flavor. The plus side is at Tailgates I can pound Miller Lights down like a champion.

Edited by LGR4GM

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.