Jason Pominville - Captain

Vandaman26

2011-12' Sabres Captain  

153 members have voted

1. 1. Who should get the Captaincy?

• Miller
    • Vanek
    • Roy

haha...you make a good point...just made the page, trying too hard to get it out there lol

Hang out. Participate, contribute, all that. Put the blog in your sig if you want. But we like people here who put their opinions here, you know? And I'll bet that if your blog is good (and again, it seems so), it will get traffic from your sig if you participate and contribute here. If all you do is post a link, though, well, either the modmins are gonna catch on and ask you to go elsewhere, or people will start overlooking you because of a lack of contribution to the greater conversation. Or, most likely, both.

Welcome to SS. Enjoy this community (it's fun, mostly).

I'd put the C's on Pominville and Goose with A's on Vanek and Roy and be done with it.

I hope you meant OR gaustad?

There's only one C to be pinned there buddy.

As an aside, i think it should go to Tyler Myers. He may not be deserving of it quite yet, but it's going to be his team.

My vote is for Vanek, but whatever they decide, I do not want to see them do the rotating captaincy.

I dont think that rotating captaincy isn't too bad really. That player usually gets hot due to playing with more confidence because of it. Seems to bring the best out of some players on this team.

I say Malkin when they complete the trade..

Nice, and from my perspective how sweet that would be. Note I voted for Vanek.

OT, Side story.

2 years ago in the fall I was at my sons disability annual fund raiser dinner/chinese auction here in PGH. For those of you that don't know how one works, a bunch of people, companies, etc. donate items that people silent bid on. Having done it the previous year I thought I was savy and would play the game and yeah after a couple of cocktails guess I played bigshot.

So in the spirit of the fund raising after dinner I walked the displays and put some bids on items that only had a couple of bids on them that I was pretty sure or just assumed that I would be outbid on. To my surprise at the end of the evening one of my bids(only the 3rd mind you on that partcular item) won me a signed Eugeni Malkin replica jersey with my bid.

That's the SC playoff year he won MVP. So now I own/have a authentic signed jersey with official team certificate from that SC chanpion year for Malkin. I am still not sure what to do with it. Go figure

As an aside, i think it should go to Tyler Myers. He may not be deserving of it quite yet, but it's going to be his team.

Nope. I like Co-Captains like what the Sabres had with Briere and Drury. Why does there only need to be one captain? I like the Co-Captain concept.

In fact, if I remember correctly, when Calgary won the Stanley Cup, I believe they had 3 Co-Captains in Lanny McDonald, Jim Peplinski, and Tim Hunter. So, it is not without precedent to have multiple captains or at least co-captains either in the NHL or on the Buffalo Sabres in particular as we had them in very recent memory. So, I'm cool with going with Co-Captains with Pominville AND Gaustad.

It is in fact an absolute wrong statement to make to say that there is only 1 C to be pinned when in fact the Sabres had two captains from 2005-2007.

Poll needs a "none of the above" choice.

If we want to talk about which of our top 6 or "core" players are most worthy of wearing the "C" I think Vanek is a choice that can be successfully argued for. But IMO just because he might be the best choice out of the core players doesn't mean he'd be an ideal choice. I think Vanek is too limited to be all the things a good captain should be. Problem is, we can probably say that about all of the players on this team right now.

It would be interesting and very telling if an outsider took the captaincy again. I don't think it'll happen that way, but it well could. Watching him from afar my impression is that Regher has the kind of temprament that I think a captain should have. Now that he's in Buffalo we'll be able to more closely see if he's that kind of player.

I think Myers is going to grow into a captain's role. I'm not sure if it will be this season, next season, or a few down the road, but I suspect he has the kind of personality that captains are made from. IMO anyone selected this season is probably holding it only until Myers is ready.

I dont think that rotating captaincy isn't too bad really. That player usually gets hot due to playing with more confidence because of it. Seems to bring the best out of some players on this team.

Well we really have only one season of evidence ... this appeared to be the case for Pominville, but not so much for the others ... Campbell had a nice month but average for him that season:

Jochen Hecht, Oct. 1007 - 10 GP, 3 G, 4 A, +1

Toni Lydman, Nov. 2007 - 13 GO, 0 G, 3 A, +2

Brian Campbell, Dec. 2007 - 14 GP, 1 G, 8 A, +3

Jaroslav Spacek, Jan. 2008 - 9 GP, 0 G, 0 A, -2

Jochen Hecht, Feb. 2008 - 11 GP, 1 G, 5 A, E

Jason Pominville, March/April 2008 - 17 GP, 8 G, 13 A, +6

Also, Pominville has gotten hot down the stretch other seasons without being captain:

2005-06 - 23 GP, 4 G, 2A,, -2

2006-07 - 19 GP, 8 G, 9 A, +3

2008-09 - 19 GP, 7 G, 13 A, +1

2009-10 - 22 GP, 8 G, 11 A, +3

2010-11 - 21 GP, 7 G, 10 A, +6

Personally, I'd make Vanek captain and convince Pominville it's always March somewhere ....

The best talent isn't necessarily the best leader. No way is Roy a leader at this point, and honestly none of us know who the players look up to and respect the most.

Way too high a price.

Wouldn't be if he wasn't coming off a severe, sometimes career-ending injury. But no way we can give up our best player and best prospect for possibly damaged goods.

If his not ready quite yet what about Vanek as C, Myers and Goose as A's? If Vanek's injured or not playing up to scratch move the C to Myers and Roy as the 2nd A?

That article was a little on the ridiculous side...no offense...

Kaleta...first line...better than Hartnell? perfect transition for Leino? :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

Leino captain? Yeah, no...There are way too many other players on the team already that Lindy would throw letters at before Leino...IMO

That article was a little on the ridiculous side...no offense...

Kaleta...first line...better than Hartnell? perfect transition for Leino? :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

Leino captain? Yeah, no...There are way too many other players on the team already that Lindy would throw letters at before Leino...IMO

I agree, that article is way out there. I like what the author is trying to do... spreading the talent, but the proposed Gerbe-Leino-Kaleta line would give up lots of goals.

OT: I like Vanek as C with Goose and Pommers wearing the As.

Please see NHL Rule 6.1 before any more discussion on Miller as a captain or an alternate captain. It's not allowed. I'm not sure what the rules were when Luongo was captain or whether he was grandfathered in after a change in the rule, but it simply isn't allowed.

Luongo wasn't the 'on ice' captain. Luongo wore a captain's 'C' on his mask, but not on his sweater.

IIRC, and Rickshaw could confirm or correct, while he was the 'captain,' they used an extra 'A' on the ice for dealing w/ the refs.

(I didn't notice a response to your post in this thread, if someone else had already posted this, :oops: .)

I agree, that article is way out there. I like what the author is trying to do... spreading the talent, but the proposed Gerbe-Leino-Kaleta line would give up lots of goals.

OT: I like Vanek as C with Goose and Pommers wearing the As.

I tend to believe that there will be an A on defense and it has to go to Regehr.

I think Vanek has earned the right to be captain of this club, but does anyone have the feeling that Ruff will not give it to him and claim that it would put too much pressure on him? IMO the pressure needs to be put on someone and Vanek seems more than willing to accept it according to what hes said in the past. Plus, while the defense definitely got restocked this offseason with veteran leadership, I would not shy away from givind Myers an A. He could wind up being the captain of this team one day if they keep him here long term, which they should/will and it wouldn't be a mistake to give him that A reaponsibility this early in his career, hell they put enough pressure on him last season as their defacto number 1 d-man.

Archived