Confirmed: Sabres sign Leino

spndnchz

Have patience guys, i dont get why there's all these WTF's?

We finally have an owner who is making moves, the whole league is talking about us & theres still people here bashing & booing, its like cmon lol, i dont get some of our fans.

I remember during the draft how everyone on this board was talking trash about the ownership & then they went out & made a splash to get Regehr & everyone reversed their thinking.

We went out & got Erhoff & now Ville Leino & we're still not done

None of us here know exactly what the plans are & what are next moves are gonna be.

Instead of WTF, why dont you just enjoy the moment & relish in it for a bit?

These are great days to be a Sabres fan!

Good job Pegula, youve made a believer outta me!

If you ask me there seems to be a "certain" mentality that is hard to shake for some people and realize we are in a new era of Hockey..... we have made some GREAT MOVES already and I have faith in this group we have working here.... this ain't the "thieving" Rigas' or the "investing" Golisano..... this is the Terry Pegula Buffalo Sabres..... a BRAND NEW MENTALITY.

ENJOY THE RIDE.... it's gonna be a fun ride for YEARS to come.

GO SABRES!!!!

If you ask me there seems to be a "certain" mentality that is hard to shake for some people and realize we are in a new era of Hockey..... we have made some GREAT MOVES already and I have faith in this group we have working here.... this ain't the "thieving" Rigas' or the "investing" Golisano..... this is the Terry Pegula Buffalo Sabres..... a BRAND NEW MENTALITY.

GO SABRES!!!!

:thumbsup:

GO SABRES!!!!

HERE HERE!!!!

It's gonna be an awesome season next year & some great ones in the future.

For us Sabres fans who have lived with mediocrity for all these years, we'll appreciate our future success even more!

Thanks Terry Pegula!

You're my newest facebook friend! : )

Flyers tried to sign Leino at $3.5 million per, but he though he could get more on the open market, which he did. Personally, I think $4.5 million is a little high, but not outlandish given the interest from other clubs and the premium you have to pay for UFAs.

BTW - Fleischmann signed with Florida for $4.5 million per (and, of course, that's the same salary we signed *gulp* Timmy for two years ago)

Not a fan of this move to be honest, would have much rather have made a trade or signed Richards to be honest.

So, you don't want a move that actually exists, you would prefer to have something that only exists in your mind? Given our needs here, don't you think the other possibilities were explored, but not feasible?

This is a terrible argument. Even if the fans don't sign the checks, the team has limited resources. A bad contract on the books can prevent them from making other moves to improve the team.

OK, I did word that poorly but they still have plenty of room to make moves. Dropping Kotalik gives $3M. There are a number of big contracts that come off the books next year. Not sure how I feel about Leino but I'm certainly not going to be pissed.

But, hey, now you can't say that Stafford's is the worst contract that you've ever seen, right?

I would be less disgusted if they re-signed Connolly. This contract basically makes any Sabres fan that wants to rag on the Flyers signing Jagr look foolish.

I don'tbelieve they acquire a winger for the center position.

A big trade must be coming.

Listening to the press conference announcing his signing, (on Sabres.com) Ruff stated that he does think that Leino can play center and that is where Leino would like to play.

Ruff said he's not sure which line he'd consider Leino on - thinks he'd be a 1 or 2 centerman. "His growth is something we'd anticipate."

Regier - "No we are not looking for other centers right now." But they might look for another center via trade. The team is in the 10% salary cap buffer currently.

So, you don't want a move that actually exists, you would prefer to have something that only exists in your mind? Given our needs here, don't you think the other possibilities were explored, but not feasible?

Has Simon Gagne signed? Speaking of other possibilities. For a little more money you get a much better player.

Who cares? It's not costing you anything.

Why post on here? you dont own the team.

The point is that it prevents future moves which could make this team better. So thats why i care. I dont care how much Pegs spends overall, but i care how he spends it because it might have an impact on winning. Its pretty simple.

[/b]

Has Simon Gagne signed? Speaking of other possibilities. For a little more money you get a much better player.

I'm not so sure I like that idea. IIRC, hasn't he been snake-bitten from time to time during his career?

Some people will just never be happy. 4th in scoring in 2009, 10th in scoring last year (5 goals out of top 5) WITHOUT our #1 center for half the year (wasn't Roy in the top 5 in scoring before he got hurt?). Gerbe and Ennis will be in their second full year, Myers will be able to fill in more on the offensive zone, Erhoff is an addition to the offense............ Not to mention he fact we've now got 2 quality defensemen. How much more do you people want to make us a Cup contender? This was a damn good offensive team before any of these additions. Richards would be a payroll killer. He'll end up getting way too much. We'd have to eventually end up trading away some of our offensive core when Myers and Ennis have to re-sign next year. I think we're a contender right now, we don't need Richards. Plus, I guess we've all forgotten we have Luke Adam coming up in the near future full time.

We could win the Cup and have the top 10 scorers in the league and people would still find something to bitch about.

Some people will just never be happy. 4th in scoring in 2009, 10th in scoring last year (5 goals out of top 5) WITHOUT our #1 center for half the year (wasn't Roy in the top 5 in scoring before he got hurt?). Gerbe and Ennis will be in their second full year, Myers will be able to fill in more on the offensive zone, Erhoff is an addition to the offense............ Not to mention he fact we've now got 2 quality defensemen. How much more do you people want to make us a Cup contender? This was a damn good offensive team before any of these additions. Richards would be a payroll killer. He'll end up getting way too much. We'd have to eventually end up trading away some of our offensive core when Myers and Ennis have to re-sign next year. I think we're a contender right now, we don't need Richards. Plus, I guess we've all forgotten we have Luke Adam coming up in the near future full time.

We could win the Cup and have the top 10 scorers in the league and people would still find something to bitch about.

Derek Jeter: "Hey, we won the World Series."

George Costanza: "Yeah.....in six games!"

I just find it amusing how alot of people are upset at this pickup, while another person posted that with his point total last year, he wouldve been 2nd in scoring on our team.

We just picked up our 2nd leading scorer, geez this signing is horrible lol.

Not only is he versatile by being able to play both the wing & center, but he's young & can produce offense too.

I think he's going to make Derek Roy's game better & provide some much needed offense & add to our depth of talent that we have.

Thats a good pickup in my eyes.

We can argue about the money but its supply & demand.

As long as our owner is willing to spend the bucks, i'm all for it

I like this signing. I think there is a lot of upside with Ville Leino. He was very good in Philly with Briere and Hartnell. One thing about Finnish forwards is that they are generally very good in the defensive zone, and I think he will bring that and also become a 20 goal scorer in Buffalo. The contract is a bit rich for my liking, but that's the cost of doing business on July 1st.

Having said all of that, I believe that a trade is in the works for the Sabres. They are not done. This signing gives them some flexibility to play with the cap and re-sign the RFAs, who I peg in total not receiving much more than $4 million, which will put the Sabres just a bit over the salary cap. Hence, I am fully expecting a trade, and I do believe the Sabres are going to get at least another #2 Center out on the marketplace.

I am expecting Leino will be slotted as a third line centerman between Pominville and Hecht. Hence, I think the Sabres are going to make a trade likely involving Sekera, Boyes, and some draft picks to get that other centerman. The other option is they re-sign Connolly and push Leino up, but I'm just not sure I see it happening.

Overall, good player, a bit rich, but I think it is to be expected in a bad free agent year.

While not the ideal defensive "centerman" I was thinking of, I like his game and the way he plays. Unfortunately this means the sabres have now accomplished EXACTLY what i asked for two months ago:

I'm tossing around the idea in my head that all the talk about NEEDING a #1 center and adding scoring should be the focus is out of place. We finished 9th in the league in scoring. And that was after we were in 22nd place on january 1. We finished one goal behind SJ for the lead in March and scored the most goals in the month of April (reg season). I think getting Roy back makes us better and Gerbe and MAG for full seasons increase our scoring. We can finish next season in the top 5 in scoring with the current line-up. History says that since the Lockout that's good enough to win the cup.

While the D will improve some just with the expirience, bringing in a top D FA would work wonders for our young guys. Myers is good, but he's not in a position to helpp develop the 4 other guys his age. Morrison, Monte and Leopold were to busy working on getting their own game going to help out.

So, rather than going after a #1 C and top Pair D, I'm throwing out the idea that we should go after 2 D a top Pair guy (my choice is Ehrhoff) and a solid 32-33 year old veteran. Better ability to clear our zone would probably increase scoring even more, and would certainly help alleviate the problems we're running into with the long change in the second period.

We still need a center. Roy is the only real center on the roster.

Right, we definately need to fill the roster, but I'm thinking that we don't necessarily NEED Richards/Malkin/Staal/Dubinsky's Mustache/etc. We just need to replace connolly. Roy/Hecht/Goose/Other.

I don't think we need to go spend 10% of our cap on a centerman. The scoring numbers seem to agree.

So if we don't win the cup next year, my abilities as a GM will be questioned...

[/b]

Is there a line outside of Gagne's door? If not, it appears most teams share the same concerns.

While not the ideal defensive "centerman" I was thinking of, I like his game and the way he plays. Unfortunately this means the sabres have now accomplished EXACTLY what i asked for two months ago:

So if we don't win the cup next year, my abilities as a GM will be questioned...

Wow! That's amazing! Incredible foresight on your part. :worthy: :worthy:

Was there a line outsides of Leino's door?

Yep. Habs, Kings, Rangers, Bruins, Avs, Philly and the Canes were interested. Besides, I can't imagine Gagne being a good fit in the Bflo dressing room as he takes games off.

Archived