Confirmed: Sabres sign Leino

spndnchz

I would be less disgusted if they re-signed Connolly. This contract basically makes any Sabres fan that wants to rag on the Flyers signing Jagr look foolish.

The irony is that Flyers fans are ragging on the Sabres for signing Leino at 4.5 when they signed a washed up Jagr at 3.5?

maybe a dumb question, but can't many wingers play both sides?

Very hard to, gotta learn how to play accordingly though.

Could be similar to driving on the opposite side of street/car (good comparison?)

Have patience guys, i dont get why there's all these WTF's?We finally have an owner who is making moves, the whole league is talking about us & theres still people here bashing & booing, its like cmon lol, i dont get some of our fans.I remember during the draft how everyone on this board was talking trash about the ownership & then they went out & made a splash to get Regehr & everyone reversed their thinking.We went out & got Erhoff & now Ville Leino & we're still not doneNone of us here know exactly what the plans are & what are next moves are gonna be.Instead of WTF, why dont you just enjoy the moment & relish in it for a bit?These are great days to be a Sabres fan!Good job Pegula, youve made a believer outta me!

I agree 100%

Lets see what this guy does.

Past is past. Simple as that.

He's a nice player, just like Ehrhoff.

Still, you are paying your top 8 forwards (Vanek,Roy,Stafford,Pominville,Lieno,Hecht,Boyes,Ennis) a total of close to $35 million and you could pretty much give a swirlie to any one of them without any repercussion.

The grit on this team is pretty much a push. Regehr is captain material so that is good.

If this is it, the Sabres went from 12th-20th team in the league to 7th-16th. Pretty much a playoff team who is better than a coinflip to win a playoff series, but needs a lot of luck to get the cup.

Was there a line outsides of Leino's door?

Kyper about 15 minutes before the deal went down:

#NHL news. #Leafs ready to make a push for #Flyers Ville Leino? 3 teams pushing hard for his services.

I look at it as getting a possible center, at worst a gamer that produces in the playoffs. Based on what I've seen from him, I would rather have him than Hecht, Boyes, Pommer, maybe Stafford. IMO, it's an improvement over the current roster.

Still, you are paying your top 8 forwards (Vanek,Roy,Stafford,Pominville,Lieno,Hecht,Boyes,Ennis) a total of close to $35 million and you could pretty much give a swirlie to any one of them without any repercussion.

The grit on this team is pretty much a push. Regehr is captain material so that is good.

If this is it, the Sabres went from 12th-20th team in the league to 7th-16th. Pretty much a playoff team who is better than a coinflip to win a playoff series, but needs a lot of luck to get the cup.

If Regher rubs off on the guys to work harder and Leino rubs off on them to skate harder... probably too much rubbing off to be expected from the new guys...

#NHL news. #Leafs ready to make a push for #Flyers Ville Leino? 3 teams pushing hard for his services.

I look at it as getting a possible center, at worst a gamer that produces in the playoffs. Based on what I've seen from him, I would rather have him than Hecht, Boyes, Pommer, maybe Stafford. IMO, it's an improvement over the current roster.

Apparently centre is his natural position and where he would prefer to play.

This is a good assessment. They definitely need more up the middle, but the 3 picks we've made are good upgrades, and a big step in the right direction.

If the Leafs signed him for the same contract the Sabres did Burke would be drilled on this board.

Anyone that can't see Ville Leino as a positive addition to the Sabres..... well I just don't understand you.

This guy is not only good NOW but he still has upside potential.

Maybe you guys that don't like this deal can remind me (because I've never been interested in FA signings before Terry Pegula)what we have done in previous years to improve our team in FA.

This is like Christmas in Buffalo and I keep seeing people reacting to these moves like this is the Golisano Sabres.

This is the FIRST YEAR Terry Pegula has opened his check book..... give the man some time.... there's not that much to choose from and still look what they've done.

ENJOY THE RIDE PEOPLE..... all the fun isn't in winning the Cup........ it's GETTING THERE that is just as much fun.

So, you don't want a move that actually exists, you would prefer to have something that only exists in your mind? Given our needs here, don't you think the other possibilities were explored, but not feasible?

I understand why they pulled the trigger. They didn't want to get caught having no options. I was hoping for more of a Cup run experience this coming season. Certainly we'll be better though, but were still a year away from Cup Contention in my opinion.

With that being said, I'd like to look up next off seasons UFA centers, I am hoping it's a larger crop than this season.

And Pegula did say within "3" seasons.

One thing is for certain, the team definitely looks more competitive on paper. And it's nice to see some moves being made that we haven't seen here in a long, long time.

If the Leafs signed him for the same contract the Sabres did Burke would be drilled on this board.

You seem to be fixated on dollar value of these contacts - Stafford, Erhoff, now Leino. Do not get me wrong - I respect your opinions, but I am more concerned about the value these guys bring as players than the dollars. None of us are in a position to judge the financial considerations and impacts. To me it is simple. Does Leino upgrade the roster ? Yes in my opinion. The Sabres are a much stronger team than they were a couple of weeks ago.

This is a good assessment. They definitely need more up the middle, but the 3 picks we've made are good upgrades, and a big step in the right direction.

I agree this is a much better team overnight. I give Darcy credit for identifying Regehr.

Lieno would be more valuable with guys who can grit it out themselves instead of being relied upon to ignite it. He played with Briere and Harnell. Hartnell is just the type of player we have lacked and Briere is fiesty and can hold his own around the net for a little guy, much like Gerbe but better.

The problem now is you probably just overpaid a total of 3 million a year to get Lieno and Ehrhoff. You are over the cap, and even by sending Morrisson and Kotalik down, you leave just enough wiggle room for injuries. Sure, next year Boyes, Hecht and Gaustad come off....but with that $10 million you need to replace your 3rd line and sign Myers to an extension.

There could be a trade in the works, but we can't assume something of value will get done. The past 2 days you see the Darcy/Lindy philosophy of building a team ala Detroit. Problem is you are playing catch-up and had to overpay a limited market. I would much rather have them do that and go for it instead of sitting back, and trading a 4th to NYI was a bold move, so credit again....but at the end of the day you are going to be left just a little short on gritty talent and proven middlemen. Still time to do something about center though.

I think you may have this team ending up a lot like the 90's Dolphins over the next 3-5 years. Always good enough to grab a share in that 10-6 range...but just lacking that final oomph and chemistry to get it done. I think they are in a lot better position to get lucky now, and you should get a better bang for your entertainment dollar, but on-ice this isn't nearly close to "a machine" yet. It's fun to be the guys with money for once, and I love crazy Uncle Terry running around in his bathrobe with Lassie....but in my opinion what the team was able to do pretty much moves them from 25-1 to win the Cup to 18-1 to win the Cup. Even adding Richards would have probably only gotten them to 15-1.

With the $$$ flying around, how were we not able to find $2 million for Max Talbot? He is just the kind of guy this team needs.

Nice article from a year ago on Ville.

Ville Leino: From 'As Low as You Can Go' to Playoff Star

http://www.aolnews.com/2010/06/03/ville-leino-from-as-low-as-you-can-go-to-playoff-star/

"No one envisioned the Flyers leaning on Leino so much that head coach Peter Laviolette would double-shift him in the third period of a must-win game in the Cup Final. No one could imagine Leino becoming one of the Flyers' most valuable players."

I agree this is a much better team overnight. I give Darcy credit for identifying Regehr.

Lieno would be more valuable with guys who can grit it out themselves instead of being relied upon to ignite it. He played with Briere and Harnell. Hartnell is just the type of player we have lacked and Briere is fiesty and can hold his own around the net for a little guy, much like Gerbe but better.

The problem now is you probably just overpaid a total of 3 million a year to get Lieno and Ehrhoff. You are over the cap, and even by sending Morrisson and Kotalik down, you leave just enough wiggle room for injuries. Sure, next year Boyes, Hecht and Gaustad come off....but with that $10 million you need to replace your 3rd line and sign Myers to an extension.

There could be a trade in the works, but we can't assume something of value will get done. The past 2 days you see the Darcy/Lindy philosophy of building a team ala Detroit. Problem is you are playing catch-up and had to overpay a limited market. I would much rather have them do that and go for it instead of sitting back, and trading a 4th to NYI was a bold move, so credit again....but at the end of the day you are going to be left just a little short on gritty talent and proven middlemen. Still time to do something about center though.

I think you may have this team ending up a lot like the 90's Dolphins over the next 3-5 years. Always good enough to grab a share in that 10-6 range...but just lacking that final oomph and chemistry to get it done. I think they are in a lot better position to get lucky now, and you should get a better bang for your entertainment dollar, but on-ice this isn't nearly close to "a machine" yet. It's fun to be the guys with money for once, and I love crazy Uncle Terry running around in his bathrobe with Lassie....but in my opinion what the team was able to do pretty much moves them from 25-1 to win the Cup to 18-1 to win the Cup. Even adding Richards would have probably only gotten them to 15-1.

With the $$$ flying around, how were we not able to find $2 million for Max Talbot? He is just the kind of guy this team needs.

The difference between this roster and the last is that now we are in the eastern conference discussion. We, however, are not "the team to beat". I think we over paid for ehrhoff and leino, but who knows what the CBA will look like next year, so it's a good move for the time being.

With the $$ flying around, how were we not able to find $2 million for Max Talbot? He is just the kind of guy this team needs.

Should we be worried about the cap? I do not think so. As far as I am concerned, the Sabres have experts evaluating these impacts as their primary, paid job. This is unlike us, who are amateurs analyzing numbers from cap geek and making assumptions. I am confident the ramifications are accounted for and plans are in place to deal with it. This is clearly new ground. The Sabres of the past were easy to predict and certainly not in the least creative from a FO perspective. We will see what is in store.

Archived