Confirmed: Sabres sign Leino

spndnchz

I hope you're right but don't see it happening. Last season was the only 1 that Vanek ever had more assists than goals as a pro. You have to go back to his 1st year w/ Sioux Falls to find another that he had more assists than goals and that was only by 3 (15g, 18a, 33p). He typically ends up w/ ~ as many assists as goals, so if he does pot 40 goals, I'd expect him getting ~35-40 assists.

Feel free to gloat in the Spring, if he does hit the 100 pt plateau. I'll be just as pleased as the rest of this crowd if he does. Just don't be shocked if he's not there. There's a lot of other good players that won't get there either.

The irony here is that you are rooting for him to hit 100pts. have faith Taro T. It is going to happen barring injury. Ville is a major signing.

The irony here is that you are rooting for him to hit 100pts. have faith Taro T. It is going to happen barring injury. Ville is a major signing.

I like your enthusiasm waldo, I really do. I thought I have the rosy glasses on the majority of the time. However, I don't think I can come around to the idea of Leino getting Vanek to 100 points. Only 1 guy in the league hit that last year. I'm definetly on board for hoping, but it seems a little optimistic. I would sign up for a 40 goal, 40 assist campaign. The signing will be well worth it if Vanek can reach 80 points IMO.

I like your enthusiasm waldo, I really do. I thought I have the rosy glasses on the majority of the time. However, I don't think I can come around to the idea of Leino getting Vanek to 100 points. Only 1 guy in the league hit that last year. I'm definetly on board for hoping, but it seems a little optimistic. I would sign up for a 40 goal, 40 assist campaign. The signing will be well worth it if Vanek can reach 80 points IMO.

Derrico , I am as dark as you are so I would take 80pts in a heart beat and i am sure he would too.. but that would be low balling this team. I have watched Ville a lot. VinhoTinto is on the money, The guy is a center, tp knew that. Those here who have watched him have watched him as a winger. I could have added the following to my post above but did not: the sabres could end up with three much stronger scoring lines if they pick up another center. That alone will have a positive impact on Vaneks numbers.(moving him between lets say spetzza and leino ?) They will no longer be able to match up with him as easily as they did last year. You had to notice how the good teams dealt with him? The book they were using was pretty consistent . They will need a different solution to deal with the sabres three lines, improved pp and shutdown d pair this year. There is a big difference between having Erhoff deliver the puck on net on the pp vs Tyler. Erhoff is not trying to kill you and he knows when and how to deliver the puck with finesse.You can change the complexion of a team dramatically with the right three or four pieces.Remember this team should also have a lower GAA. Miller just got better. He has to be really happy right now. The number of those six to ten foot open looks just went down

One of the more notable comments made about Erhoff when he signed was his control of his shot. He's just not a uncontrollable cannon at the blue-line. I bring this up only to point out what a great match that would be with Vanek's hands and his uncanny ability to re-direct shots. I can envision many goals where Vanek is 5-10 feet in front of the goal and Erhoff feeding him shots. Surpassing his career high of 20 pp goals should be a reasonable goal.

And, if those 2 (& Leino or whomever) make the pp click at a slightly higher (ideally a scary good) rate, it could make life for the top 6 'soft' forwards a lot easier 5-on-5 as teams won't want to risk taking a dumb roughing call to make a statement. (That basis of that thought was courtesy of the TSN talking heads who were talking about how having Regehr on D would limit some of the feistiness of opponents, but that Ehrhoff might do so as well for a different reason.)

Having Ehrhoff, Myers, Leopold, & either/both (depending upon trades & injuries) Sekera, & Gragnani should cut down on the # of shorthanded goals the Sabres give up. No more TC at the point, and probably not much of Pomms or Roy back there either. If they could drop to the league average in that category next year that would be 7 fewer significantly game changing goals allowed over the course of the season.

Connolly last year was the guy that brought the puck into the zone on the pp and he simply wasn't good enough at it. If Leino can be that guy, especially w/ Ehrhoff sending the puck towards the net, there is no reason not to expect the team to score 3 more pp goals this year (assuming ~ the same # of chances), which would raise their percentage by a full %age point and put them in the top 7. (~9 more would put them in the top 5 and give them that 'scary good' cred. Not sure if they'll be able to do that. On paper it looks like they should, unfortunately they don't play on paper.)

It'll be interesting to see who'll end up running the pp this year now that McCutcheon is gone. I'm guessing it'll be Kevin Adams but I haven't seen that addressed yet.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how the pp changes this year w/ the additions of Ehrhoff & Leino and I'm also really looking forward to how this D looks in '12-'13 & '13-'14. The D should be solidly gelled by then, the young guys coming into their own (if they're going to), and Regehr, Leopold, & Ehrhoff should have something left in the tank.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how the pp changes this year w/ the additions of Ehrhoff & Leino and I'm also really looking forward to how this D looks in '12-'13 & '13-'14. The D should be solidly gelled by then, the young guys coming into their own (if they're going to), and Regehr, Leopold, & Ehrhoff should have something left in the tank.

I think Regehr's deal comes up prior to the '13-'14 season, so we would have to re-sign him. I think you're right though, our back end is looking pretty decent for the forseeable future.

I think Regehr's deal comes up prior to the '13-'14 season, so we would have to re-sign him. I think you're right though, our back end is looking pretty decent for the forseeable future.

You are correct, he is only under contract for 2 more years. I'd like to think that re-signing him next summer or fall would be more or less a formality.

(Much as I am hoping to hear of Myers LT deal this September.)

All this time I thought there was only one Ville out there. But now the Sabres have one too, just like HIM. Hopefully the Sabres Ville turns out to be as successful at his job as HIM's Ville.

All this time I thought there was only one Ville out there. But now the Sabres have one too, just like HIM. Hopefully the Sabres Ville turns out to be as successful at his job as HIM's Ville.

[/quo

Ville Leino is a much better live performer than Ville Hermanni Valo.

Ville Leino is a much better live performer than Ville Hermanni.

PWND

The talk here among the fans seems to envision a Vanek, DR, Stafford first line. Any pairing that does not put Vanek and Ville together on the ice would be a terrible waste of a great signing imo.

Somebody earlier asked with whom I would like to see Ville playing, and I have to agree with what waldo writes above. I see Vanek as a natural scorer (who can also hold the puck) and Ville as a natural playmaker (who can also score) and the combination of these two guys who are very close the same age and hopefully both peaking during the next couple of years just sounds exiting!

As a Finn who's been a huge fan of Ville since he played for my home town team back in 2007 (and presented a level of dominance not seen in the Finnish legue since Teemu Selanne and Saku Koivu in the 90s) I'm very exited to see that he chose Sabres as his new team. I like the balanced setup Sabres currently have and I truly hope that Ville would be given the possibility to be the #1 center in an NHL team - because that's what he was born to do as a hockey player, imo.

Even though Ville has performed relatively ok during the past two seasons (one and a half to be exact), I still have the feeling the NHL has not seen (not even close) the Ville Leino he really could be - assuming the level of responsibility, linemates and chemistry in the team all work out perfectly. And why do I believe this? Main reason is that I've seen what he was capable in the Finnish legue (also compared to other Finns who have done extremely well in the NHL) and the level of natural talent and vision on ice which he posesses is second to none. And I do mean none.

So let's hope that this "overpayment" turns out to be the steal of the decade for Sabres, at least I'll be exited to watch the team and Ville next season and you'll definitely have a new fan on the other side of the ocean! ...and to anyone who's doubting whether or not Ville is a natural center the answer is yes.

It'll be great to have you here.

Have you ever watched Joel Armia in the SM-Liiga?..it would be great if you have any insights.

It'll be great to have you here.

Have you ever watched Joel Armia in the SM-Liiga?..it would be great if you have any insights.

Good question for the Finn. Iwill look foward to his response to you. The kids head is always up. FYI this was his year on video.

Armia is definitely one of the most talented Finns of his generation (right after Mikael Granlund who'll be paying for Minnesota in the future) and, according to my view, clearly the best prospect of the Finnish players born in 1993. He's got a good shot which he's not afraid to use and he plays simple straigh-forward hockey but still has quite a lot one-on-one skills. I think all the main weaknesses Armia has today (strenght, speed, inconsistency)are related to his young age so he has all it takes to become a solid 50 - 70 pts per season guy in the NHL!

Definitely not a bad thing that Leino is playing for Sabres when Armia eventually comes - always easier to adobt when you have a fellow countryman nearby. I just hope Armia doesn't come too soon, two more years in the Finnish legue could make him a star there which I personally see as a lot better starting point compared to e.g. an AHL season.

Armia is definitely one of the most talented Finns of his generation (right after Mikael Granlund who'll be paying for Minnesota in the future) and, according to my view, clearly the best prospect of the Finnish players born in 1993. He's got a good shot which he's not afraid to use and he plays simple straigh-forward hockey but still has quite a lot one-on-one skills. I think all the main weaknesses Armia has today (strenght, speed, inconsistency)are related to his young age so he has all it takes to become a solid 50 - 70 pts per season guy in the NHL!

Definitely not a bad thing that Leino is playing for Sabres when Armia eventually comes - always easier to adobt when you have a fellow countryman nearby. I just hope Armia doesn't come too soon, two more years in the Finnish legue could make him a star there which I personally see as a lot better starting point compared to e.g. an AHL season.

thanks so much for this -- folks around here will appreciate your insights very much.

also, for what it's worth:

"Here's a fun one to tell your friends. Briere tallied 59 pts in his first 149 NHL games. Leino has played 149 games & has 73 pts. #Sabres"

https://twitter.com/#!/DaveDavisHockey/status/88252580890816512

So, now that we've had time to digest the move, the inevitable question must be asked: what number will he wear? ;)

He wore #20 (open) in Tampere, #89 (open, but Mogilny's #) in Hämeenlinna and Helsinki, #11 (retired) in Grand Rapids, #21 (Stafford) in Detroit, and #22 (Boyes) in Philly. I'm guessing that he continues the trend and takes #23.

Unless Boyes gets traded ....

Leino. LOL... Year after year we spend our time prognosticating on whom the Sabres will trade/draft/acquire and year after year we get it wrong. Leino, yet another in a long line of Sabres no'see'ums. As to whether I like or dislike, I'm on the fence. I was on a boat for the last nine days and didn't know until now who they chose. So I'll have to ponder this. Very interesting.... With the news that TC is in Toronto and Erhof is in the fold, it has been a dramatic two weeks in Pegulaville. The team will look very different next year. Will they play different?

Leino. LOL... Year after year we spend our time prognosticating on whom the Sabres will trade/draft/acquire and year after year we get it wrong. Leino, yet another in a long line of Sabres no'see'ums. As to whether I like or dislike, I'm on the fence. I was on a boat for the last nine days and didn't know until now who they chose. So I'll have to ponder this. Very interesting.... With the news that TC is in Toronto and Erhof is in the fold, it has been a dramatic two weeks in Pegulaville. The team will look very different next year. Will they play different?

He was discussed prior to free agency:

Leino Discussion

Good call on the no-see-um. I was certainly well taken by surprise.

I don't think I could survive without internet for 9 days (and I'm not sure about 9 hours, for that matter).

Sabers vs flyers series has been playing all week on the NHL network. Game six is on tonight. I have been watching it and keying on leino. I see why they think he can play center. He skates really well, is strong on the puck and protects it well. He really acted as a center on the briere line, as Danny spent the entire series hiding behind miller's net.

Archived