All About Darcy Regier

darksabre

Is Kim Pegula the Sabres secret weapon heading into the free agent/trade market?

Darcy Regier just hinted that Kim Pegula might have been key in talking to Robyn Regehr's wife and letting her know what her and the family had to look forward to living in Buffalo.

"Hey look, we have a couple billion dollars and we choose to be around this area. It can't be that bad, right."

I guess it all depends on how much time the Pegulas will actually be around Buffalo.

Is Kim Pegula the Sabres secret weapon heading into the free agent/trade market?

Darcy Regier just hinted that Kim Pegula might have been key in talking to Robyn Regehr's wife and letting her know what her and the family had to look forward to living in Buffalo.

I knew his wife was a major sticking point with her pregnancy (7-8 months along) and her dislike for Buffalo, along with Regehr's desire to go to SJ (probably her's as well). (My English teacher would have failed me for that sentence)

But I think once Kim talked to her - woman to woman - she struck a chord. That, and Robyn's failure to obtain an offer from SJ.

I knew his wife was a major sticking point with her pregnancy (7-8 months along) and her dislike for Buffalo, along with Regehr's desire to go to SJ (probably her's as well). (My English teacher would have failed me for that sentence)

But I think once Kim talked to her - woman to woman - she struck a chord. That, and Robyn's failure to obtain an offer from SJ.

I think the Burns trade buried it.

Is Kim Pegula the Sabres secret weapon ...?

absolutely.

this is the second time that X has called mrs. pegula back to mind for me.

thankfully, i feel a lot (lot) less stalkerish about my crush on the lady now that i have had the chance to meet her (once, very briefly - a charity thing).

:wub:

After July 1st 2007, I totally bashed Regier for losing Drury & Briere and not finding suitable replacements. I also ripped him good for his negotiating skills (lack thereof), for waiting until players contracts were up to talk with the players about a new contract (Drury's & Vanek's late contract negotiations). With Pegula in charge, Regier is now able to go after high-priced free agents (in which he wasn't able to do so before) and make big trades. We knew it was Golisano & Quinn that ran the Sabres like a business and most likely shackled Regier once Pegula bought the team and had his interviews with the Buffalo News, but it's becoming even more clear now as we approach the start of free agency. So I have to eat a big bowl of crow for all my previous bashing of Regier.

Now that the shackles are gone, let's see if Regier & Ruff can get the done and bring the Stanley Cup to Buffalo.

After July 1st 2007, I totally bashed Regier for losing Drury & Briere and not finding suitable replacements. I also ripped him good for his negotiating skills (lack thereof), for waiting until players contracts were up to talk with the players about a new contract (Drury's & Vanek's late contract negotiations). With Pegula in charge, Regier is now able to go after high-priced free agents (in which he wasn't able to do so before) and make big trades. We knew it was Golisano & Quinn that ran the Sabres like a business and most likely shackled Regier once Pegula bought the team and had his interviews with the Buffalo News, but it's becoming even more clear now as we approach the start of free agency. So I have to eat a big bowl of crow for all my previous bashing of Regier.

Now that the shackles are gone, let's see if Regier & Ruff can get the done and bring the Stanley Cup to Buffalo.

Welcome to the Dark Side.....

Hey man, don't feel bad, I trashed Regier, Quinn & Golisano good as well after the 2007 season. The best thing Golisano & Quinn did was sell the Sabres to a life-long, die-hard fan. Now it's time to enjoy the ride. I'm confident we'll see the Stanley Cup in Niagara Square within the next few years.

Not saying Regier hasn't made mistakes, because he certainly has. But there is no chance he takes on 7 mil per in contracts and only sends 1.5 mil in a trade. Previous ownership would not allow for this. Let's give him a shot, so far, so good. I like hearing the talk and if he can pull off the walk then maybe we're not that far away from becomming a serious contender again.

I wouldn't say my opinion of Darcy has changed, so much as I'm simply happy he is being given the freedom and resources he needs. As much as some want him to hang by the rope he's been given, I'd like to see him vindicate his name. I don't think he has done that yet, but I think the Regehr move was a good start.

I've been one of the biggest Regier bashers to date and I'd like nothing more than to see him succeed because if he succeeds my sabres succeed. Thats all I've ever wanted. He fails and the boys fail. That sucks. I haven't been in on the fire Ruff stuff yet but if Regier manages to bring in the right pieces and Lindy fails to get us there I'll be the first to call for his head because all I want is whats best for this team. Whatever it takes to improve this team. If that means a new coach or a new G.M. I'm all over that. I also want long term success. Compete year after year if possible. None of this boom and bust good years lean tears shite. Is that too much to ask?

I've never been overly critical or overly supportive of Darcy. You just never know what goes on behind the scenes. I'd like to take a look at the entire picture after it's complete. Granted it may take another decade or two but to judge ones career on one year or one ownership regime is shortsighted. I haven't loved all the decisions but there is always more to the puzzle than what we know or hear about. That being said, I'm enjoying where things are headed.

I wouldn't say my opinion of Darcy has changed, so much as I'm simply happy he is being given the freedom and resources he needs. As much as some want him to hang by the rope he's been given, I'd like to see him vindicate his name.

This is about where I am.

I never hated Regier, I actually liked him a lot, which was tough to do after seeing Ted Nolan go and tough to do with SO MANY Regier haters in the past few years. He's the guy that sent Michal Grosek to Chicago for Doug Gilmour and JP Dumont. The guy who turned Mike Wilson into Rhett Warrener, then years later a declining Rhett Warrener into Chris Drury. Chris Gratton and a 4th for Danny Briere and a 3rd. The aggressive Regiershark's been missing the past few years. I'm glad to see he may finally have the tools/ownership confidence/financially-backed sack to dominate the trade market once again. Maybe he can even dive head first into a long-forgotten free agency market with the same calculating mastery.

I think this lopsided Regehr + Kotalik + 2nd for Butler + Byron is a great example of what he's really capable of, and I look forward to aggressive Darcy once again.

Not saying Regier hasn't made mistakes, because he certainly has. But there is no chance he takes on 7 mil per in contracts and only sends 1.5 mil in a trade. Previous ownership would not allow for this. Let's give him a shot, so far, so good. I like hearing the talk and if he can pull off the walk then maybe we're not that far away from becomming a serious contender again.

If he can sign both Brooks Laich and Christian Erhoff then I might forgive him for giving away all those draft picks for useless rental players over the last few years.

However, if he wants to be forgiven for drafting 1st round busts like Barrett Heisten, Artem Kruikov, Jiri Novotny, Marek Zagrapan he better sign or trade for a couple top shelf centers. Previous ownerships didn't pick those busts - Regier did.

Previous ownerships didn't pick those busts - Regier did.

Actually his scouting department did. The same scouting department that once had Don Luce (now Dir of Player Development in Philadelphia) and Jim Benning (now the Assistant GM in Boston). The same scouting department that went direct-to-video to save money. The effect of ownership on a front office is pretty clear cut.

It's also the same scouting department that's produced the last three AHL ROTYs. And the US Olympic goaltender (from the 6th round).

In every draft you win some and lose some, and history has shown that we sure as ###### don't lose as bad as some.

Actually his scouting department did. The same scouting department that once had Don Luce (now Dir of Player Development in Philadelphia) and Jim Benning (now the Assistant GM in Boston). The same scouting department that went direct-to-video to save money. The effect of ownership on a front office is pretty clear cut.

It's also the same scouting department that's produced the last three AHL ROTYs. And the US Olympic goaltender (from the 6th round).

In every draft you win some and lose some, and history has shown that we sure as ###### don't lose as bad as some.

In fact we were recently ranked 3rd in the league in our success at drafting talent at the Entry Draft since 1990. Pretty damned good, I'd say. And IKP is right, Darcy does not control the reports given to him by the scouting staff.

This is about where I am.

I never hated Regier, I actually liked him a lot, which was tough to do after seeing Ted Nolan go and tough to do with SO MANY Regier haters in the past few years. He's the guy that sent Michal Grosek to Chicago for Doug Gilmour and JP Dumont. The guy who turned Mike Wilson into Rhett Warrener, then years later a declining Rhett Warrener into Chris Drury. Chris Gratton and a 4th for Danny Briere and a 3rd. The aggressive Regiershark's been missing the past few years. I'm glad to see he may finally have the tools/ownership confidence/financially-backed sack to dominate the trade market once again. Maybe he can even dive head first into a long-forgotten free agency market with the same calculating mastery.

I think this lopsided Regehr + Kotalik + 2nd for Butler + Byron is a great example of what he's really capable of, and I look forward to aggressive Darcy once again.

Exactly. Before Quinn and Golisano, Regier did a great job building this team. I expect good things the next week or so.

You're on a roll, another spot on post...

Archived