All About Darcy Regier

darksabre

Darcy on GR saying all the right things. If Connolly comes back it'll be in a PK/Defensive role, no longer a top line center. Also seems optimistic that we will be good down the center, implying that he may have something in the works with respect to that.

Cmon Darcy, vindicate yourself! I believe in you.

Darcy on GR saying all the right things. If Connolly comes back it'll be in a PK/Defensive role, no longer a top line center. Also seems optimistic that we will be good down the center, implying that he may have something in the works with respect to that.

Cmon Darcy, vindicate yourself! I believe in you.

I'm okay with Connolly in a 3rd line role for third line money.

That pretty much means Buffalo has targeted a #1 center.

A confident Darcy Regier intimated this morning that he is confident that he will be adding a difference-making centreman to his organization in the near future. The UFA pool is slim pickins, and Regier said that he and his front office have discussed the advent of offer sheets. Don't expect the Buffalo GM to offer sheet his centre. He will do so by trade.

Regier also said on the record that he is looking to upgrade his D with another experienced Dman.

Paraphrase of his interview this morning per Garth on hockeybuzz. (I realize the source, but I heard and it is somewhat accurate)

Thoughts?

A confident Darcy Regier intimated this morning that he is confident that he will be adding a difference-making centreman to his organization in the near future. The UFA pool is slim pickins, and Regier said that he and his front office have discussed the advent of offer sheets. Don't expect the Buffalo GM to offer sheet his centre. He will do so by trade.

Regier also said on the record that he is looking to upgrade his D with another experienced Dman.

Paraphrase of his interview this morning per Garth on hockeybuzz. (I realize the source, but I heard and it is somewhat accurate)

Thoughts?

I wonder if they already have deal.

If so, Darcy's cojones must be like the Grinch's heart on Christmas morning.

Garth's source is an interview on WGR550 this morning. He did sound "confident" that they would get a center, but not to the point that these boneheads on WGR are making it sound -- if anyone is listening, these guys are basically saying a deal is imminent when in reality all Darcy said was that if they add a center it would be an upgrade.

On Offer sheets he said he doubted they would make any offer sheets because anybody worth offer sheeting would be matched.

Darcy thinks trade market will open after first week of free agency when teams who missed out on addressing their needs have a second chance to do so via trade.

Also of note, they asked about Connolly. Darcy has spoken with Connolly and McCormick's agents, and will speak to TC's again today. Sounds like TC is penciled in to the #3 slot.

I'm okay with Connolly in a 3rd line role for third line money.

That pretty much means Buffalo has targeted a #1 center.

Pretty much how I feel.

I still hope they consider in bringing another 3rd/4th line center though, as I just don't believe Connolly has more than 50-60 games in him next season, if that.

Pretty much how I feel.

I still hope they consider in bringing another 3rd/4th line center though, as I just don't believe Connolly has more than 50-60 games in him next season, if that.

He's been pretty durable lately, avg 70 games the last two seasons. Played through a broken face this year.

It wouldn't surprise me if they at least had the parameters of a deal in place with both teams involved wanting to see what plays out over next weekend before finalizing deal.

I expect the deal to be very dissappointing to some here. I think we're looking at a top notch DEFENSIVE centermen, not a ppg scorer. IMO it's the right move AND a huge upgrade, but many in sabreland will be upset with anything less than Richards, Malkin, or Stamkos.

Speaking of Garth, in his same article he says he thinks Luke Adam will make the team- either at center OR on the wing. Does he realize that outside of center we have an abundance of wingers, all of whom probably better than Adam at this point?

That's assuming that they are all still here after we trade for that #1 center. If we do pull a big deal, I wouldn't be surprised to see a package like: a 1st, a 2nd (we have two next year; if it's a big player, it might be another #1), a young defenseman, and a winger.

I have not listened to the full interview but it seemed that Regier was knowledgeable about what other teams were looking for and that a deal could be worked out that was favorable to both sides. I do not think the sabres offer sheet stamkos. It is not logical from this management or ownership perspective. I do think they offer Richards a reasonable contract for a reasonable length (7mil a year for 6-7 yrs) I dont think it will get the deal and thats fine. It will be interesting to see who gets buried in rochester this year and who makes the team, but if they sign TC at least we now know it would be for that 3rd line role which he fits well.

Our perspective center depth would be:

1st Line: Unknown

2nd Line: Derek Roy

3rd Line: Tim "tin man" Connolly

4th Line: Gaustad/McCormick

I could live with that for this season...

... Especially considering that our Defense is currently:

Regehr - Myers

Weber - MAG

Sekera - Leo

O and the last thing we should take away from DR this morning is that we know that our RFA's have been tendered deals so we retain their rights and should get them signed. All an All a good start to monday.

I expect the deal to be very dissappointing to some here. I think we're looking at a top notch DEFENSIVE centermen, not a ppg scorer. IMO it's the right move AND a huge upgrade, but many in sabreland will be upset with anything less than Richards, Malkin, or Stamkos.

You're damn right we will be

GRAB THE PITCH FORKS!!!

rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble

I wouldn't find that disappointing at all.

I never liked Roy having to play shutdown center through certain stretches of the game.

Sure, he's not bad at it, but he's supposed to play in the other end.

Speaking of Garth, in his same article he says he thinks Luke Adam will make the team- either at center OR on the wing. Does he realize that outside of center we have an abundance of wingers, all of whom probably better than Adam at this point?

I don't think it is much of a stretch to imagine Luke Adam at wing.

but you need to qualify "better"..as in better at what? He's got nice hands and vision, and size

He was terrible last season back-checking as a center. I could see him being very effective on the wall...but I think the likely scenario is that he'll get more work at center through camp.

Garth's source is an interview on WGR550 this morning. He did sound "confident" that they would get a center, but not to the point that these boneheads on WGR are making it sound -- if anyone is listening, these guys are basically saying a deal is imminent when in reality all Darcy said was that if they add a center it would be an upgrade.

On Offer sheets he said he doubted they would make any offer sheets because anybody worth offer sheeting would be matched.

Darcy thinks trade market will open after first week of free agency when teams who missed out on addressing their needs have a second chance to do so via trade.

Also of note, they asked about Connolly. Darcy has spoken with Connolly and McCormick's agents, and will speak to TC's again today. Sounds like TC is penciled in to the #3 slot.

They may have a plan for him, but per DR discussions with TCs agent "today or tomorrow, we'll just have to see, with the cap going up there's a significant draw for players to go 'over the line' and look at the market place but we'll continue to talk.''

Reading between the lines, that sounds like TC is not going to be signed. Could be wrong, but I think he's outey.

I certainly wouldn't be disappointed in the short term but we really have to address our lack of depth at center THIS season.

I think they will find that type of 2-way 2nd/3rd line center as UFA.

The #1 center will have to come with a trade.

Hahhaha, I actually laughed out loud on that one, nice.

If we grab another Dman via FA, I will just say wow. At first I thought we NEED a top line Center capable of setting Vanek and Stafford up for big points but why not just go all out D. A defense first Centre will also be cheaper than a gifted offensive guy. Could we stay under the cap and sign a Bieksa or Ehroff and still have coin to sign a decent center? We could dangle Sekera or Grangani as trade bait to help get that center. If we got Ehroff our D would look like this:

Myers - Regehr

Leopold - Ehroff

Sekera - Weber

Morrisonn

Are you kidding me? We'd have one of the best D's in the league.

Hahhaha, I actually laughed out loud on that one, nice.

If we grab another Dman via FA, I will just say wow. At first I thought we NEED a top line Center capable of setting Vanek and Stafford up for big points but why not just go all out D. A defense first Centre will also be cheaper than a gifted offensive guy. Could we stay under the cap and sign a Bieksa or Ehroff and still have coin to sign a decent center? We could dangle Sekera or Grangani as trade bait to help get that center. If we got Ehroff our D would look like this:

Myers - Regehr

Leopold - Ehroff

Sekera - Weber

Morrisonn

Are you kidding me? We'd have one of the best D's in the league.

MAG was a +7 in the playoffs and had 7 points... not sure i would trade him for anything at least until i see him start this season.

Regehr - Myers

Sekera - Weber

MAG - Leo

insert new ufa defender here... that way we would have the depth without having to rely on morrisonn or trade sekera and keep mag and resign monty to be on the team if Ehrhoff falls through. Adding the big body of regehr is helpful to a team that needs toughness, but i think MAG maybe campbell 2.0 and can finally make our PP what we all want it to be... only prob with Ehrhoff is we add another Lefty

I like the defense first approach though because with millsy you might just start stealing games.

I think they will find that type of 2-way 2nd/3rd line center as UFA.

The #1 center will have to come with a trade.

Quite plausible.

If they can do that and bring in another 2nd pairing D-man via free agency, they will have filled the 4 holes that were on the roster. I don't think anybody here thought they'd be able to pull all that off this offseason, but having 1 of the 2 'hard to obtain' parts brought in at the draft makes it plausible that they could get all 4 and I don't see any way that they don't add at least 1 more of the missing pieces in the next week or 2. (The trade for the #1C will probably take a bit longer as teams see how arbitrations shake out.)

Figure it'll take a year to get the new pieces to gel and '12-'13 could be a very fun season. As heading into that off season they are looking at upgrades to complimentary pieces rather than revamping what the 'core' should be. That should be the year the youth on D truly starts to blossom and Regehr and Miller shouldn't be too long in the tooth to have substantially started their declines.

Archived