All About Darcy Regier

darksabre

Buffalo will be looking to offer sheet Stamkos if the window of opportunity is there, they would prefer the trade route though.

Regier is talking to a couple of teams with some center depth and he is looking to make a move.

Richards will get an offer from the Sabres. Remember this, he has stated he'd like to go to a "New York" team. Many take that as the Rangers, but that is not the case at all. He also stated he wanted to go to a smaller market team this time around. Hint Hint, Richards will be considering an offer from the Sabres very seriously.

Connolly, although on the teams radar, is going to test FA in order to see if he can generate a premium on a contract. He is aware he isn't going to make the 4.5 mil he did the last 2 seasons. Regier may consider him for a more defensive role and 3rd line center, but Connolly is no fool, he'll go where the money is flowing a little more if a team offers him more. And Toronto may be that team.

Adam's situation is based on Connolly's. If Connolly signs elsewhere, be prepared to see Adam up with the Sabres, he may need another season in the AHL, but fate may step in and force his hand as the line 3 center. Ruff has commented in the past he would be reluctant to use Adam on the wings given his development at the center position.

Just some tidbits for everyone to chew on.

Buffalo will be looking to offer sheet Stamkos if the window of opportunity is there, they would prefer the trade route though.

Regier is talking to a couple of teams with some center depth and he is looking to make a move.

Richards will get an offer from the Sabres. Remember this, he has stated he'd like to go to a "New York" team. Many take that as the Rangers, but that is not the case at all. He also stated he wanted to go to a smaller market team this time around. Hint Hint, Richards will be considering an offer from the Sabres very seriously.

Connolly, although on the teams radar, is going to test FA in order to see if he can generate a premium on a contract. He is aware he isn't going to make the 4.5 mil he did the last 2 seasons. Regier may consider him for a more defensive role and 3rd line center, but Connolly is no fool, he'll go where the money is flowing a little more if a team offers him more. And Toronto may be that team.

Adam's situation is based on Connolly's. If Connolly signs elsewhere, be prepared to see Adam up with the Sabres, he may need another season in the AHL, but fate may step in and force his hand as the line 3 center. Ruff has commented in the past he would be reluctant to use Adam on the wings given his development at the center position.

Just some tidbits for everyone to chew on.

Those are bold statements there champ.

This is about where I am.

I never hated Regier, I actually liked him a lot, which was tough to do after seeing Ted Nolan go and tough to do with SO MANY Regier haters in the past few years. He's the guy that sent Michal Grosek to Chicago for Doug Gilmour and JP Dumont. The guy who turned Mike Wilson into Rhett Warrener, then years later a declining Rhett Warrener into Chris Drury. Chris Gratton and a 4th for Danny Briere and a 3rd. The aggressive Regiershark's been missing the past few years. I'm glad to see he may finally have the tools/ownership confidence/financially-backed sack to dominate the trade market once again. Maybe he can even dive head first into a long-forgotten free agency market with the same calculating mastery.

I think this lopsided Regehr + Kotalik + 2nd for Butler + Byron is a great example of what he's really capable of, and I look forward to aggressive Darcy once again.

Actually his scouting department did. The same scouting department that once had Don Luce (now Dir of Player Development in Philadelphia) and Jim Benning (now the Assistant GM in Boston). The same scouting department that went direct-to-video to save money. The effect of ownership on a front office is pretty clear cut.

It's also the same scouting department that's produced the last three AHL ROTYs. And the US Olympic goaltender (from the 6th round).

In every draft you win some and lose some, and history has shown that we sure as ###### don't lose as bad as some.

Great posts! Totally agree.

Regier is not perfect and has made some mistakes, but who hasn't? Even the great Scotty Bowman was mediocre in Buffalo. Regier has made a lot of great trades throughout his tenure as GM. Nobody knows for sure, but all indications are based on recent behavior that Quinn and Golisano completely handcuffed Regier and all those interviews and press conferences were nothing more than Regier making excuses for ownership. Now that Regier has the resources to do his job, he's going out there and doing his job. He's always been pretty good as a GM when he was not handcuffed and could do his job, and I don't think he's fully cleared his name, but I have faith that he will.

However, if he wants to be forgiven for drafting 1st round busts like Barrett Heisten, Artem Kruikov, Jiri Novotny, Marek Zagrapan he better sign or trade for a couple top shelf centers. Previous ownerships didn't pick those busts - Regier did.

What are the expected success rates of NHL 1st round picks?

The fact that you had to cherry pick those 4 selections as busts from the 14 drafts (15 first round picks) that he's been here for tells me he does pretty well. Especially since all of the guys mentioned were mid to late round picks. Novotny also played 189 NHL games.

This is where I stopped reading.

Oh, the tragedy of it....... :rolleyes:

Let's try and be somewhat plausible for moment, shall we? Good.

He didn't say he wouldn't do so, just that he was reluctant to do so. Big difference, no, scratch that, HUGE difference in testimony there.

Also, he indicated if FA wasn't the answer then after the 1st week of FA the trade market is a very viable option and they've been working that route. I listened to every word he said.

Sounds to me like the Richards situation will be known after the 1st week of FA, Same with Stamkos.

Barring their ability to grab Richards (presumably) he is prepared to go the trade route.

Also, Richards has stated that he is looking for a smaller market team where he will not be the only star player.

Buffalo makes absolute complete sense givent he presence of Miller, Vanek and Myers on this team.

Interesting that you didn't attempt to put down your analysis of what you read into the Regier interview but instead, chose to kick mine. :blink:

hmmmmm..........

Those are bold statements there champ.

Just read into the interview is all. It's always an unbalanced view when ones objectivity leans toward one end of the spectrum.

But I would have to imagine SDS, that Pegula, being Pegula, is going to look to put a dynamic product on the ice similiar to that of The French Connection.

What do we covet? We covet that which we see everyday. And in his youth, he saw a great centerman in Perreault. I am sure he is learning as he goes, and taking in the council of Regier and Company. But I wouldn't be so foolish as to make the mistake of thinking he isn't driving the ship. Pegula knows what he wants, and I'm sure has relayed that message to Black and Regier under no uncertain terms.

If Stamkos is available for the offer sheet, it fits in with what Pegula would be looking for. You want impact, I'd say that's about as much impact as you can get short of Crosby, Getzlaf or Datsyuk.

Guest Sloth

I'm sure I'll be slammed for this, but if the Sabres couldn't bring in Stamkos, Richards, or Malkin, I'd be happy if Buffalo got a hold of Paul Statsny. In all honesty, I think he is the center the Sabres actually have a good chance of acquiring. What about Vincent Lecavalier?

You're putting way too much on Pegula here. If he's running the show like you suggest, this team is doomed. He doesn't know hockey well enough. You've essentially painted him as a more polite Dan Snyder.

?

Well, he is running the show, whether you realize it or not. If you spend 160+ million dollars on a passion, you tend to be involved in every aspect of it. I've merely "painted him" (I believe thats the term you used) nothing more than what he is, an NHL franchise owner who happens to understand a great deal more about hockey then most likely all of us do. He's been a fan for as long as I have, he has the passion, he knows what he wants to see on the ice and I am more than sure that his presence isn't just for show.

As I stated, he'll take the council of those around him, including Regier, but if he sees the ability to upgrade the club not only on the ice, but in reputation as well, he won't hesitate to take council with Black and pull the trigger. And Black is no fool himself, I am sure he is mentoring Pegula onthe Stamkos situation as well as Richards.

I'm sure I'll be slammed for this, but if the Sabres couldn't bring in Stamkos, Richards, or Malkin, I'd be happy if Buffalo got a hold of Paul Statsny. In all honesty, I think he is the center the Sabres actually have a good chance of acquiring. What about Vincent Lecavalier?

Actually if you look through a lot of the older posts, there are quite a few people that believe Stastny could be had, and wouldn't mind.

I'm being cautiously optimistic as to which center management brings in. I know they'll bring someone in, and hopefully this "we're talking to Tin Mans agent" is just for backup purposes. Check please, I'm ready for October, thank you.

?

Well, he is running the show, whether you realize it or not. If you spend 160+ million dollars on a passion, you tend to be involved in every aspect of it. I've merely "painted him" (I believe thats the term you used) nothing more than what he is, an NHL franchise owner who happens to understand a great deal more about hockey then most likely all of us do. He's been a fan for as long as I have, he has the passion, he knows what he wants to see on the ice and I am more than sure that his presence isn't just for show.

As I stated, he'll take the council of those around him, including Regier, but if he sees the ability to upgrade the club not only on the ice, but in reputation as well, he won't hesitate to take council with Black and pull the trigger. And Black is no fool himself, I am sure he is mentoring Pegula onthe Stamkos situation as well as Richards.

I'm quite certain that he brought Black in just for that reason, to mentor him on the in's and out's.

There is no way we do not have a chance at getting Richards nor Stamkos. It's not unrealistic, These guys want to get paid and if we can pay it(which we sure as hell can) why cant we get them? But, if they decide to go to other teams then go for it. There is still forwards out there. We can get 2 centers a 2nd line and 3rd line for the price of Stamkos or Richards. Also we could bring in another solid Dman like Ehrhoff or Wisniewski.

There is no way we do not have a chance at getting Richards nor Stamkos. It's not unrealistic, These guys want to get paid and if we can pay it(which we sure as hell can) why cant we get them? But, if they decide to go to other teams then go for it. There is still forwards out there. We can get 2 centers a 2nd line and 3rd line for the price of Stamkos or Richards. Also we could bring in another solid Dman like Ehrhoff or Wisniewski.

I'd take Wisniewski over Ehrhoff, but that's besides the point. I don't usually make bets, and as I said before, I'm being cautiously optimistic, but I would seriously put money down on us making an offer for Richards. I don't see Darcy issuing an offer sheet (has he in the past?).

Getting multiple decent centers in this years FA, or even by trades is going to be the most difficult it's been in awhile. FA is weak at center, and trading for one is going to require Darcy to pull off more trades like like the one for Robyn, which I honestly do not see a whole lot more of those. (it would be nice to be wrong).

I have said for a long time that I thought Darcys hands were tied. To me, you could tell in Quinns and Darcys body language and at times verbage. When something went well Quinn took all the credit and when things didn't go so well Quinn passed the buck and Darcy was the fall guy. Dirty pool if you ask me, and i'm amazed Darcy didn't throw his hands up and say i'm done dealing with this crap and move on to another team.

Sorry, but one decent move isn't going to make me praise the guy. If his hands were tied as bad as everyone here says, then why would he stay? If he is so good, teams would look at him if he were available. And EVERY GM has a budget from ownership as to how much they can spend, the difference is that the good ones can work with their budget to build a team. He has never had a problem overpaying his own guys here in Buffalo........

If its true that Pegulia was heavily influential in Regher agreeing to come to Buffalo, and that Regier is trying to resign Connolly AGAIN, then theres no way I would change my opinion on him and I would say just more of the same from him, a GM who can't close a deal on his own (needed Pegulia to close the deal for him with Regher), and continues to build with the "status quo" (Re-sign Connolly)

And that deal could have still gotten done with TG and Quinn around, but ti would have probably involved a different prospect then Byron going to Calgary, and no 2nd and Kotalik coming to Buffalo. Calgary had to take a little less, and give up a draft pick to Buffalo to sweeten the deal and unload Kotaliks dead weight contract.

Darcy's drafting has been excellent compared to just about EVERY other team in the NHL. If you don't believe this,

check out other team's drafting in the last four or five years...not very good overall for just about any other team. The fact we have had rookie of the year in the AHL 3 years in a row, and Myers winning the NHL r-o-t-y confirms Darcy's excellent drafting. I do not think Golisano and Quinn would ever have approved Boyes at 4 Mil, nor Regher and Kotalik and their combined 7 mil salaries. Drafting 16 and 17 year olds is tough, and many teams have failed miserably. Darcy has proven in the past, when he is allowed to make whatever moves he deems important for the team, that he can put together a decent. contending team. And now with Pegula I truly think he is already on the right track. I look forward to Friday, when we will be active on the free agent market. I am not so sure about Connelly, although I guess he wouldn't be too bad as our 3rd center. I do want McCormick back though.

Darcy's drafting has been excellent compared to just about EVERY other team in the NHL. If you don't believe this,

check out other team's drafting in the last four or five years...not very good overall for just about any other team. The fact we have had rookie of the year in the AHL 3 years in a row, and Myers winning the NHL r-o-t-y confirms Darcy's excellent drafting. I do not think Golisano and Quinn would ever have approved Boyes at 4 Mil, nor Regher and Kotalik and their combined 7 mil salaries. Drafting 16 and 17 year olds is tough, and many teams have failed miserably. Darcy has proven in the past, when he is allowed to make whatever moves he deems important for the team, that he can put together a decent. contending team. And now with Pegula I truly think he is already on the right track. I look forward to Friday, when we will be active on the free agent market. I am not so sure about Connelly, although I guess he wouldn't be too bad as our 3rd center. I do want McCormick back though.

Thats a bad thing?

There were years where he was allowed to spend right up to the cap. If he was good with contracts and money, he could have space to make deals for players with higher contracts. Instead he would blow his budget on his own guys and then rummage through the bargain bins for FA's and throw away picks at the deadline on bad rentals.

It has come out that Darcy's biggest problem wasn't with the budget, it was that he couldn't pull the trigger and close a deal without re-assurance from someone, Now with pegulia, he has put pressure on him to go out and make some big deals.

I'm willing to give Darcy credit in trades, signings, etc., but I do wonder how much credit he should get in drafting. Darcy said that Armia was the guy that the scouts really wanted. How often has that been the case? If they come with strong recommendations, will he overturn it? I seem to remember him saying that he likes to be involved in the first and second-round picks, but after that, it's all about what the scouts say. At the very least, drafting is one area of his job where he should share a lot of the credit for success.

Sorry, but one decent move isn't going to make me praise the guy. If his hands were tied as bad as everyone here says, then why would he stay? If he is so good, teams would look at him if he were available. And EVERY GM has a budget from ownership as to how much they can spend, the difference is that the good ones can work with their budget to build a team. He has never had a problem overpaying his own guys here in Buffalo........

If its true that Pegulia was heavily influential in Regher agreeing to come to Buffalo, and that Regier is trying to resign Connolly AGAIN, then theres no way I would change my opinion on him and I would say just more of the same from him, a GM who can't close a deal on his own (needed Pegulia to close the deal for him with Regher), and continues to build with the "status quo" (Re-sign Connolly)

And that deal could have still gotten done with TG and Quinn around, but ti would have probably involved a different prospect then Byron going to Calgary, and no 2nd and Kotalik coming to Buffalo. Calgary had to take a little less, and give up a draft pick to Buffalo to sweeten the deal and unload Kotaliks dead weight contract.

first off it's Pegula...don't know if you were intending on that or not.

second, I don't think he is really interested in resigning Connolly, he is just interested in keeping a door open just in case he doesn't land the centers that we want. Is that a sign of a bad GM? I don't think so, because at the end of the day, if we are left with no centers, that's worse than without TC...no matter how broken he is.

Third, I really do not see that deal getting done under Golisano's regime, or any deal remotely close. I don't think TG/LQ would've even have us looking at someone with a NMC, and they definitely wouldn't remove it to come here. and saying that Pegula closing the deal for Darcy makes Darcy look bad is a load of crap. If it makes the player feel more comfortable in going somewhere, by all means, the owner should step in. Other players talked to Robyn before he made his decision, does that reflect poorly on Darcy? It's just using what's available to get what we need/want.

It has come out that Darcy's biggest problem wasn't with the budget, it was that he couldn't pull the trigger and close a deal without re-assurance from someone

What are you talking about? The deal was in place before Pegula and his wife met with Robyn. The only difference now is that Darcy has the green light to take on salary rather than stay even or lower it.

We may never know what other deals Darcy wanted to make that were shot-down by Golisano/Quinn. It is fact that Darcy wanted to sign Drury way back when but was denied by them. I have NO DOUBT if Pegula had owned the team back then, Briere and Drury would have been re-signed.

We may never know what other deals Darcy wanted to make that were shot-down by Golisano/Quinn. It is fact that Darcy wanted to sign Drury way back when but was denied by them. I have NO DOUBT if Pegula had owned the team back then, Briere and Drury would have been re-signed.

I'd be more prone to saying Briere OR Drury, but yes...I agree

Pegula stated in an interview with the Buffalo News that the reason the Sabres were not able to re-sign Tallinder and Lydman is because Golisano nixed it and only wanted a deal that was 2 years and not 3 or 4 years. Lydman ended up having a really good year in Anaheim and Tallinder had a bad year in New Jersey, but he was on record saying that was a Golisano thing and not a Darcy thing.

So, more keeps coming out about how Golisano/Quinn were handcuffing Darcy. In fact, Briere recently stated during the playoff series, "The guys that didn't want me in Buffalo aren't there anymore." Clearly, that implies it was a Golisano/Quinn decision not a Darcy one as Darcy is still in Buffalo and Quinn and Golisano are not.

So, there's no doubt in my mind that this was a Quinn/Golisano thing and not a Darcy thing. I'm sure we will hear more coming from players as this continues.

Archived