All About Darcy Regier

darksabre

Amen. Quinn was the enemy, not TG. Said it for years, still sayin' it now. (And I'm being proved to be correct.)

How? Because Quinn wouldn't authorize $18 over two years for a second pairing defenseman?

The Pegula ATM machine is great now. Have all the fun and enjoy it as it lasts. Just remember what happened here in Buffalo, and in LA and on Long Island.

How? Because Quinn wouldn't authorize $18 over two years for a second pairing defenseman?

The Pegula ATM machine is great now. Have all the fun and enjoy it as it lasts. Just remember what happened here in Buffalo, and in LA and on Long Island.

Quinn would order a roast beef sandwich in a gourmet restaurant, which is exactly what happened for eight years.

Just remember that I'm freaking right on this one.

Quinn would order a roast beef sandwich in a gourmet restaurant, which is exactly what happened for eight years.

Just remember that I'm freaking right on this one.

Only if your point was giving Regier millions of dollars to waste and he can complete an actual hockey trade and sign a quality free agent giving $13 mil in bonus dollars would make Regier a good GM. :thumbsup:

Only if your point was giving Regier millions of dollars to waste and he can complete an actual hockey trade and sign a quality free agent giving $13 mil in bonus dollars would make Regier a good GM. :thumbsup:

The Regehr trade was ######? The pre-Quinn trades for Briere and Gilmour/Dumont and Drury (Quinn was not around long enough to prevent)?

Face it. You'll be negative no matter what happens until the team is worse off for firing a good GM and great coach, and I'll just love watching the team win in the meantime.

EDIT: This is gonna be one hell of a podcast, with you and I screaming at each other...

The Regehr trade was ######? The pre-Quinn trades for Briere and Gilmour/Dumont and Drury (Quinn was not around long enough to prevent)?

Face it. You'll be negative no matter what happens until the team is worse off for firing a good GM and great coach, and I'll just love watching the team win in the meantime.

EDIT: This is gonna be one hell of a podcast, with you and I screaming at each other...

Oddly, I love the two moves. Let's just give credit where it is do. Pegula is at the extreme end of the owner pool. That doesn't mean Regier is a better GM.

The podcast is a must. It will be the PTI of the Sabres Universe.

$4m cap hit for a 50 point defenseman is a great deal. By the way, nobody talks about this, but he's physical and blocks shots and is actually a very good defenseman in the defensive zone. His +/- in this past year's playoffs had more to do with the Finals where Roberto Luongo looked like an incompetent 12 year old playing goalie than a Vezina calibre goalie. It had nothing to do with Ehrhoff's defensive play.

This is the type of cap hit the Sabres could have and should have gotten originally with Brian Campbell. Campbell and Ehrhoff are both 2nd pair offensive defenseman. Paying a second pair offensive defenseman $4M is well within the confines of reasonable. Remember, the cap hit on this deal gives the Sabres plenty of room next year to sign Myers to like a 15 year extension with a Cap hit of $6-$7 million, which is likely what he will command if he sniffed restricted or unrestricted free agency. Also, Ehrhoff's a more complete and better defenseman than Brian Campbell, so in my mind, this is a great deal for what the Sabres got him at.

When the money is paid out and the term are not nearly as important as the cap hit on this deal, and this works out really well for both Buffalo and Ehrhoff, and I don't think the Sabres are overspending at all. The cap hit is right in line with the talent, and that's what you want.

That hockey trade was great, this FA signing is better, and the contract is genius. The bonus means nothing. It's still about the cap space, which is less than the hit Vancouver would have taken with their offer. And the hit we do take is nothing if the cap continues to rise. I have to think Darcy worked the numbers on this.

That hockey trade was great, this FA signing is better, and the contract is genius. The bonus means nothing. It's still about the cap space, which is less than the hit Vancouver would have taken with their offer. And the hit we do take is nothing if the cap continues to rise. I have to think Darcy worked the numbers on this.

Well that pretty much says it all. :doh:

Well that pretty much says it all. :doh:

Hey, you're throwing around the bonus and the issues in LA and LI in the same argument, and I'm pointing out that the bonus is moot compared to be hamstrung long term.

Hey, you're throwing around the bonus and the issues in LA and LI in the same argument, and I'm pointing out that the bonus is moot compared to be hamstrung long term.

My point is that the Bonus is likely the reason the deal got done. $18 mil in the pocket. My point about LA and LI was about how a great ownership situation can change suddenly.

My point is that the Bonus is likely the reason the deal got done. $18 mil in the pocket. My point about LA and LI was about how a great ownership situation can change suddenly.

Noted. I thought you were eluding to the Jack Johnson and Rick Dipietro contracts. As far as ownership, we know how it can change suddenly. I still have 'tools to finish the job' ringing in my ears.

$4m cap hit for a 50 point defenseman is a great deal. By the way, nobody talks about this, but he's physical and blocks shots and is actually a very good defenseman in the defensive zone. His +/- in this past year's playoffs had more to do with the Finals where Roberto Luongo looked like an incompetent 12 year old playing goalie than a Vezina calibre goalie. It had nothing to do with Ehrhoff's defensive play.

This is the type of cap hit the Sabres could have and should have gotten originally with Brian Campbell. Campbell and Ehrhoff are both 2nd pair offensive defenseman. Paying a second pair offensive defenseman $4M is well within the confines of reasonable. Remember, the cap hit on this deal gives the Sabres plenty of room next year to sign Myers to like a 15 year extension with a Cap hit of $6-$7 million, which is likely what he will command if he sniffed restricted or unrestricted free agency. Also, Ehrhoff's a more complete and better defenseman than Brian Campbell, so in my mind, this is a great deal for what the Sabres got him at.

When the money is paid out and the term are not nearly as important as the cap hit on this deal, and this works out really well for both Buffalo and Ehrhoff, and I don't think the Sabres are overspending at all. The cap hit is right in line with the talent, and that's what you want.

This about sums it up perfectly. Good post.

Noted. I thought you were eluding to the Jack Johnson and Rick Dipietro contracts. As far as ownership, we know how it can change suddenly. I still have 'tools to finish the job' ringing in my ears.

As much as fans hate TG and LQ they did make the Sabres a viable entity. I do have concerns about a big spending owner writing checks a future owner can't cover.

As much as fans hate TG and LQ they did make the Sabres a viable entity. I do have concerns about a big spending owner writing checks a future owner can't cover.

Shouldn't you be more concerned about BACK-loaded deals then? Or taking out huge loans to improve the facilities? I don't see either of those occurring currently.

If Jessie Pegula can't pay Ehrhoff $1MM/yr then she seriously fracked up daddy's deal big time.

Agreed, however my reference was Rigas. Him at the podium for our SC loss celebration...

I don't think Pegula is going anywhere...he's done with the business world, unlike TG...and this seems to be his passion. How many owners are flying to Calgary to welcome a newly-traded player? How many are becoming this involved in the day-to-day operations like he is? I'm not saying everything he does is right...but he cares and is doing what he said he was going to do (and something I never thought would truly be possible): make Buffalo a hockey destination.

$4m cap hit for a 50 point defenseman is a great deal.

Right. Except that the $4M cap hit will still be there when he's 35, 36, 37, 38 -- past his prime and probably not a 50 point/year defenseman. It won't feel like a great deal then. That's the drawback.

Do I care? NO. The team has never had the mentality it has now. This is a great time to be a Sabres fan. I'm not as hot for Brad Richards as everyone else, but I know trades are coming. I've never seen the Sabres this desperate to win the Cup.

But, after those first two years, the contract won't be hard to cover or to move. If something does happen and we go back to a low-budget team at some point, his salary is very low ($3M in the 6th year, then $1M in 7-10.)

I do have concerns about a big spending owner writing checks a future owner can't cover.

This should be on your tombstone... that way no one will ever forget the perpetual state of misery you are in.

Archived