Trade deadline? Are the Sabres buyers or sellers?

PromoTheRobot

From what I heard about Roy, I'm not sure he's a player you want to build around.

Sorry, I don't follow the Sabres with anything approaching religious zeal so I don't know all the ins and outs, but what is it about Roy that is so negative? thx.

I see in the News today that Darcy is hitting all the talking points. Once again, he makes it sound like his team is not a part of the NHL and he plays no part in shaping the marketplace.

"There may be some movement, but it's too early. We'll get a better indication as we get closer to it," said Regier, who expects a busy month league-wide. "You're going to see what you've seen in other years. You're going to see quite a bit of player movement at the deadline. Who it is or what the price is right now is an unknown. You can read the papers and see some teams are making their decisions right now. Others will wait for the deadline.

"One of the hard parts isn't just finding good players but players that fit. That's the challenge."

Judging from what little I could stand to read of that story, Darcy thinks the Sabres are in decent position to make the playoffs. Apparently, simply making the first round is success to Darcy. I'd like to see a GM who thinks success is skating around the rink with the Stanley Cup in your hands.

i hope I don't sound too demanding ;)

I see in the News today that Darcy is hitting all the talking points. Once again, he makes it sound like his team is not a part of the NHL and he plays no part in shaping the marketplace.

"There may be some movement, but it's too early. We'll get a better indication as we get closer to it," said Regier, who expects a busy month league-wide. "You're going to see what you've seen in other years. You're going to see quite a bit of player movement at the deadline. Who it is or what the price is right now is an unknown. You can read the papers and see some teams are making their decisions right now. Others will wait for the deadline.

"One of the hard parts isn't just finding good players but players that fit. That's the challenge."

No surprise here. A small minded GM once again trying to give an opinion on a marketplace he knows nothing about. Darcey Regier talking about the trade deadline market place is like Charlie Sheen talking about moderation. Neither know WTF they are talking about.

Sorry, I don't follow the Sabres with anything approaching religious zeal so I don't know all the ins and outs, but what is it about Roy that is so negative? thx.

I won't claim this is fact, as I won't say this happened for sure, but people at ice level have heard remarks to opposing players like "it's just a game" and comments to that effect.

No surprise here. A small minded GM once again trying to give an opinion on a marketplace he knows nothing about. Darcey Regier talking about the trade deadline market place is like Charlie Sheen talking about moderation. Neither know WTF they are talking about.

You forgot to add "and is terrified of." Lately it seems that the trade and free-agent markets might as well be sorcery and alchemy to DR.

You forgot to add "and is terrified of." Lately it seems that the trade and free-agent markets might as well be sorcery and alchemy to DR.

I was hoping to resist an obligatory shot at John Vogl, but I can't. Seems like every year about this time, someone from the News is summoned to the arena to put out Darcy's story re: the trade deadline. Did Vogl ask one tough question of Darcy, questions most fans would want to have asked? It sure doesn't read that way. (And if he asked and didn't get an answer, that should be part of the story. "Regier wouldn't comment when asked why he's unable to judge the NHL trade market.") Who does Vogl work for, the Sabres or us? My goodness, doesn't the News want to sell papers?

From ESPN NHL page......

The Sabres, six points out in the East, have a number of UFAs-to-be on their roster, including Tim Connolly, Mike Grier, Rob Niedermayer, Craig Rivet and Steve Montador. Will those UFAs all survive the trade deadline?

"We're getting a lot of pop out of our young kids," Regier said. "Older players that we all believed in when we signed them aren't performing at the levels that they're capable of, or maybe we misjudged it. In some part, I think we could be selling veterans if we can sell them because we like what we see in our youth. I think it's going to be really interesting."

From ESPN NHL page......

The Sabres, six points out in the East, have a number of UFAs-to-be on their roster, including Tim Connolly, Mike Grier, Rob Niedermayer, Craig Rivet and Steve Montador. Will those UFAs all survive the trade deadline?

"We're getting a lot of pop out of our young kids," Regier said. "Older players that we all believed in when we signed them aren't performing at the levels that they're capable of, or maybe we misjudged it. In some part, I think we could be selling veterans if we can sell them because we like what we see in our youth. I think it's going to be really interesting."

That is a somewhat very candid comment coming from Darcy.

From ESPN NHL page......

Nice grab, but can we put in a link (copyright stuff) next time. :thumbsup:

"Most of us have players that we would make available even right now for a trade, either because they're underperforming and/or overpaid," Buffalo Sabres GM Darcy Regier told us this week. "But it's impossible right now to get an agreement on values. We're all hoping that we're going to be able to just charge a cost without taking anything back, and that's not reality. So I think, yes, we're all sitting around to the last day or two again [before the trade deadline]."

:unsure:

Copying and pasting whole articles or large portions of articles is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If you want to reference an article published elsewhere, please provide a link (a short piece of relevant text is ok to include) and then provide your commentary. Thank you for your cooperation.

-This is an automated response.

Copyrights? On my internet?

Article

I believe it'll be interesting. This was among the first articles concerning the trade deadline (and in some ways, off-season personnel goals), and Regier was essentially the first to admit possible misjudgment. It's encouraging to see him publicly state this- it demonstrates to fans that he realizes that mistakes were likely made and he's ready to move forward. Presumably, he'll try to address these mistakes before the trade deadline and during the off-season; I look forward to seeing the results.

Even if that means nobody over the age of 29 next year besides Miller and Leopold (both 30, this dumps Connolly, Ellis, Grier, Hecht, Lalime, Montador, Niedermayer, and Rivet).

The gut reaction is to sell, and I agree that Stafford is someone other teams may value. On the other hand, if Darcy is likely to go in the off season, wouldn't it be better not to give him any ultimatum and let the new GM make decisions in the offseason?

I don't know exactly what I'd do, but I'm not listed on the Forbes 400 either.

I hope they are sellers because there is a lot of dead wood that needs removal. The absolute worst thing to do is to repeat the mistakes of the past and dip into the RENTAL market!

Please Darcy you suck at renting players. Stop it. Quit giving away premium draft picks for expensive rental players that don't produce any benefit at all!

Copyrights? On my internet?

Article

I believe it'll be interesting. This was among the first articles concerning the trade deadline (and in some ways, off-season personnel goals), and Regier was essentially the first to admit possible misjudgment. It's encouraging to see him publicly state this- it demonstrates to fans that he realizes that mistakes were likely made and he's ready to move forward. Presumably, he'll try to address these mistakes before the trade deadline and during the off-season; I look forward to seeing the results.

Even if that means nobody over the age of 29 next year besides Miller and Leopold (both 30, this dumps Connolly, Ellis, Grier, Hecht, Lalime, Montador, Niedermayer, and Rivet).

Would anybody notice if Connolly, Ellis, Grier, Hecht, Lalime, Montador, Niedermayer, and Rivet were not there? I don't think so. They are pretty much invisible right now.

No. No you didn't.

This is the post where I'm supposed to ask you to elaborate, but I don't care.

I'm not writing off some sort of playoff opportunity this year. It's a common deduction that our problems won't be solved before the trade deadline, July 1st, or more likely, October.

And if that drivel was supposed to be some wishful precognitive ###### about Pegula buying the team and mounting Regier's head on a stick outside HSBC sometime before the draft, I still don't care.

This is the post where I'm supposed to ask you to elaborate, but I don't care.

I'm not writing off some sort of playoff opportunity this year. It's a common deduction that our problems won't be solved before the trade deadline, July 1st, or more likely, October.

And if that drivel was supposed to be some wishful precognitive ###### about Pegula buying the team and mounting Regier's head on a stick outside HSBC sometime before the draft, I still don't care.

Speaking of drivel...

Seriously, you presume that Darcy will still be the GM this summer?

My picks to dump. I know teams won't want some of these guys but I'm just listing the players I think should be gone.

Connolly, Hecht, Goose, Rivet, Lalime, Butler, Pommer, Grier ( although he's good on the PK), & Niedermayer.

I say give Morrisonn more time and the same with Sekera. I like the rest of the D. Maybe sell Stafford if the return is good but I have to give him credit as he is better this season versus last year where he was downright horrid. And please, get a solid backup Goalie. Enroth, I don't care, just not Lalime. He is so past his prime.

Pegula cannot sign the owner papers fast enough! Go Sabres!!

He hasn't been invisible. Just seems like a man's man on a team of boiz.

I was not a huge fan of the Montador signing. At this point, if you need to keep him around while moving out a couple of the younger D (Butler - Sekera) to acquire some forwards I would be OK with that.

I was not a huge fan of the Montador signing. At this point, if you need to keep him around while moving out a couple of the younger D (Butler - Sekera) to acquire some forwards I would be OK with that.

If Sekera is included, it has to be for a really good forward. Butler is starting to approach his give-up-on date.

Archived