Trade deadline? Are the Sabres buyers or sellers?

PromoTheRobot

Even if we trade all the players mentioned in this thread, they'll still have Roy, Pominville, and Vanek up front. Plus there's nothing to stop them from signing a veteran (even if he isn't a superstar) this offseason.

On the blue line, Montador and Leopold have been around a whole. So has Morrison. Sekera already has a bunch of years in the league and Myers will have two full seasons of experience.

How much experience do you actually need? We have a lot of experienced guys on the team now who have been together a long time. It's not even close to working.

Plus, as spnd pointed out, we're losing a lot of these players anyway. Let's scoop up whatever draft picks we can for them.

SOrry, hard to keep up everyone wants diff players gone. But the ones you mentioned, yea keep them. I know the D gets killed by the fans but part of that has been lack of support from the forwards who have been brutal this year.

I hate agreeing with you. But if they do ANYTHING, I will be shocked.

The only way they would make any moves is if Quinn really had Darcy on a budget and Pegula says go get what you need but dont get fleeced.

I hate agreeing with you. But if they do ANYTHING, I will be shocked.

Speculating about what the sabres will do at the trade deadline is useless, as we have no idea who will own the team by then, much less who will be calling the shots or what the organizational philosophy will be.

Speculating about what the sabres will do at the trade deadline is useless, as we have no idea who will own the team by then, much less who will be calling the shots or what the organizational philosophy will be.

What else do you want us to talk about -- the Sabres astronomical odds for actually making the playoffs? Tim Connolly's career trajectory? How the Sabres might have won the Cup in 2006 if Jay McKee didn't have a staph infection?

Pretty much everything we talk about it useless since we have no influence on the team or games. It's all for fun.

Even if we trade all the players mentioned in this thread, they'll still have Roy, Pominville, and Vanek up front. Plus there's nothing to stop them from signing a veteran (even if he isn't a superstar) this offseason.

On the blue line, Montador and Leopold have been around a whole. So has Morrison. Sekera already has a bunch of years in the league and Myers will have two full seasons of experience.

How much experience do you actually need? We have a lot of experienced guys on the team now who have been together a long time. It's not even close to working.

Plus, as spnd pointed out, we're losing a lot of these players anyway. Let's scoop up whatever draft picks we can for them.

DRs first test for his job. And only test IMO.

Connolly Gaustad Montador Morrisonn Gerbe Hecht

None I consider "Core" right now.

The Sabres need to consider what value they will get in return. Connolly will gain somewhere around a fourth or fifth. Which fine with me. I'd take any pick for Connolly at this point. The lofty goal total for Leopold makes him the most movable commodity at the deadline. Another player that may get some attention and a decent return is Stafford. Gaustad's value, sadly enough, is in his face-off percentage. I would be willing to move some of the young defense-men not named Weber or Myer at the deadline.

The Sabres need to consider what value they will get in return. Connolly will gain somewhere around a fourth or fifth. Which fine with me. I'd take any pick for Connolly at this point. The lofty goal total for Leopold makes him the most movable commodity at the deadline. Another player that may get some attention and a decent return is Stafford. Gaustad's value, sadly enough, is in his face-off percentage. I would be willing to move some of the young defense-men not named Weber or Myer at the deadline.

hey arent you the one who always says "no one is safe"?

yes it did. you said dont trade weber or myers.

I wouldn't look to trade them at this trade deadline. It would have to be a hell of an offer. I am much more willing to listen to offers about Miller at this point. I want to see more of Weber and I want to see if Myers is going through the standard "Ruff Effect" before I would consider trading him.

I wouldn't look to trade them at this trade deadline. It would have to be a hell of an offer. I am much more willing to listen to offers about Miller at this point. I want to see more of Weber and I want to see if Myers is going through the standard "Ruff Effect" before I would consider trading him.

ryan miller for eric staal.

ryan miller for eric staal.

I would pass on that deal. I don't want a 1 for 1 deal. If I am trading Miller it is with the idea that I am starting from scratch. In a deal for Miller I want at least a first round pick, a top prospect and a young player off of the NHL roster.

I would pass on that deal. I don't want a 1 for 1 deal. If I am trading Miller it is with the idea that I am starting from scratch. In a deal for Miller I want at least a first round pick, a top prospect and a young player off of the NHL roster.

ryan miller and jason pominville for brad richards, james neal and a 3rd round pick.

ryan miller and jason pominville for brad richards, james neal and a 3rd round pick.

Pominville is untradeable. Brad Richards? You don't build around 30 year olds making almost $8 mil a season. Neal would be a good starting point. Only 23 years old, hits a little and at a decent price considering the production. Make the 3rd rounder a first rounder and exchange Richards for a the top Dallas prospect and I say make the deal.

With tonights win the Sabres earned 11 out of 14 possible points in the last 7 games. They are 8 points behind 8th place Atlanta with 2 games in hand. Just asking are we so bad that we need to give up on the playoffs?

PTR

To answer your question. Yes!

You have been around long enough to know how this story ends. They win just enough not to make any significant changes.

It really comes down to the ultimate goal. Is this a Stanley Cup team? No. Are they on the path to becoming a Stanley Cup Contender? The answer is still no. They are a stagnant organization.

To answer your question. Yes!

You have been around long enough to know how this story ends. They win just enough not to make any significant changes.

It really comes down to the ultimate goal. Is this a Stanley Cup team? No. Are they on the path to becoming a Stanley Cup Contender? The answer is still no. They are a stagnant organization.

The problem with your argument is that it assumes the entire team needs to be scuttled. Also that the scuttling has to happen with half the season left. There's no reason why the Sabres can make a push now and still clean house in the off-season. If we were where the Devils, islanders or Oilers are then I'd agree. But throwing in the towel at 8 points out with 39 games to go is downright asinine...and a typically Buffalo fan attitude.

Cleaning house now is also pointless unless you fire Darcy and Lindy now, and who are you going to hire worth a crap in mid-season? A coach maybe, but a GM? Wait till the off-season to break out the broom. In the meantime, keep playing to win.

PTR

The problem with your argument is that it assumes the entire team needs to be scuttled. Also that the scuttling has to happen with half the season left. There's no reason why the Sabres can make a push now and still clean house in the off-season. If we were where the Devils, islanders or Oilers are then I'd agree. But throwing in the towel at 8 points out with 39 games to go is downright asinine...and a typically Buffalo fan attitude.

Cleaning house now is also pointless unless you fire Darcy and Lindy now, and who are you going to hire worth a crap in mid-season? A coach maybe, but a GM? Wait till the off-season to break out the broom. In the meantime, keep playing to win.

PTR

I would have preferred the housecleaning happen after last seasons playoffs then I remembered who was in charge. Regier :wallbash:

I would have preferred the housecleaning happen after last seasons playoffs then I remembered who was in charge. Regier :wallbash:

If you asked who was in charge of the Sabres, Regier wouldn't be the first name I'd give you. He wouldn't even be the second name I'd give you.

If you asked who was in charge of the Sabres, Regier wouldn't be the first name I'd give you. He wouldn't even be the second name I'd give you.

Then you'd be wrong. I still don't buy the line that his hands are tied. He's the guy that signed these highly paid underachievers to outrageous long term deals and he's the guy that handcuffed the organization in the process. When I say 'who was in charge' I'm talking about the G.M. not the land developer.

Then you'd be wrong. I still don't buy the line that his hands are tied. He's the guy that signed these highly paid underachievers to outrageous long term deals and he's the guy that handcuffed the organization in the process. When I say 'who was in charge' I'm talking about the G.M. not the land developer.

[Devil's Advocate]

Unless you are an insider, you don't know anymore about who is really pulling the strings than SilverNRed does.

[/Devil's Advocate]

He's the guy that signed these highly paid underachievers to outrageous long term deals and he's the guy that handcuffed the organization in the process. When I say 'who was in charge' I'm talking about the G.M. not the land developer.

He's the guy that made these announcements to the press. That still doesn't say that he is indeed the one that made those decisions.

There are plenty of lame-duck GMs out there, I would consider Regier to be one of them.

With tonights win the Sabres earned 11 out of 14 possible points in the last 7 games. They are 8 points behind 8th place Atlanta with 2 games in hand. Just asking are we so bad that we need to give up on the playoffs?

PTR

Nope. But like Vincent Price ending the Hilarious House of Frightenstein on CHCH 11...

"Now the lights are growing dim....."

I think you're aiming a bit low on Connolly there. They'll find a 2nd rounder for him. If guys like Dominic Moore are traded every single year for a 2nd round pick, there will be someone out there who gets desperate enough at the last second to throw that higher pick away.

Archived