Trade deadline? Are the Sabres buyers or sellers?

PromoTheRobot

Haven't had a chance to look at the numbers but I'd think with the salary cap issues of most teams, they are looking to unload players more often than trade p4p. Accumulating picks isn't a poor idea when it comes to getting players from those teams close to the cap. Teams far away from the cap won't care as much and be lookin' 4 players IMO.

That's about where my thoughts are at. For most teams trades will probably require at least equal salary values to be moved. That really hamstrings trade flexibility.

Haven't had a chance to look at the numbers but I'd think with the salary cap issues of most teams, they are looking to unload players more often than trade p4p. Accumulating picks isn't a poor idea when it comes to getting players from those teams close to the cap. Teams far away from the cap won't care as much and be lookin' 4 players IMO.

There are currently 10 teams with more than $5mil in room and many more with several million. I think there is room to deal players. ... assuming no internal caps like the sabres.

Pick are good too but they need fresh blood

Haven't read any previous posts. Would like to be on record as saying I'd like to see the Sabres resign Montador. He's brought a lot of toughness, grit, and passion to the Sabres, and he's been solid except for some bad gaffes, which all defensemen make from time to time.

I disagree. I think Montador is a different player from last year in terms of physical play and now that he has the shield on, seems to have graduated from the Lindy Ruff school of pussification.

That being said, I'd re-sign him as he seems to be solid overall despite the demise in his physical play.

There are currently 10 teams with more than $5mil in room and many more with several million. I think there is room to deal players. ... assuming no internal caps like the sabres.

IIRC there are quite a few teams with lower internal cap numbers. I don't recall which ones though. :blush:

There are six teams with $10 million or less room for next year. Those are the ones I'd look at.

Flyers, Flames, Pens, Wild, Bruins, Devils and Canucks.

I'm not talking about trade deadline moves, other than to acquire some ammo like picks to go after some of the already signed guys in the summer via trade.

There are six teams with $10 million or less room for next year. Those are the ones I'd look at.

Flyers, Flames, Pens, Wild, Bruins, Devils and Canucks.

I'm not talking about trade deadline moves, other than to acquire some ammo like picks to go after some of the already signed guys in the summer via trade.

You and me. We're thinking alike.

Add the Sharks and Hawks to the list of teams that don't have alot of cap room to sign FA's with next year. And the Cane's and Canadiens have fewer than 10 players under contract for next year as well. Sounds like another couple partners to trade signed players for picks.

Yea ive read a lot of posts. Stockpiling picks sounds great. And yea we could go after a RFA with some picks, sure.

But any RFA worht going after will cost 1st rounds picks a la Vanek (remember how many he would have cost).

So are you intimating we have players who are going to get us 1st or 2nd round picks that we can flip for an RFA?

or saying we are gonna stockpile 3rd rounders to trade for that franchise building block??

I get the gist of the posts, and the ideas are great if we were playing ps3 or xbox.

But to say we should trade dead weight for picks, then turn them into RFA's and subsequent trades is unrealistic.

The only realistic way of landing a RFA is by trade. People are always kidding themselves when they talk about the possibility of one being poached by an offer sheet. Just look at how rarely that has actually happened.

Atlanta and Carolina both lose tonight, and Florida in OT also! I think they're buyers at the deadline. After Darcy's most recent comments wouldn't be surprised to see moves made similar to the recent past, trading one expiring contract like Connolly to a team for a pick or picks, and in a separate deal bringing in a rental for the same or similar picks.

Atlanta and Carolina both lose tonight, and Florida in OT also! I think they're buyers at the deadline. After Darcy's most recent comments wouldn't be surprised to see moves made similar to the recent past, trading one expiring contract like Connolly to a team for a pick or picks, and in a separate deal bringing in a rental for the same or similar picks.

And guess what??? ATL and CAR both lose again tonight! Sabres now 6 points out of 8th with 3 games in hand on CAR and a whopping 5 GAMES on ATL!

PTR

They also play each other Saturday and next Sunday, someone has to lose those games, pray for no OT.

Atlanta has fallen off of the map. They are 6 games under .500. 2-8 in their last ten and have fallen to -19 goal differential. At this rate they will be passed by the Devils who are 8-2 in their last 10 games.

The strength in teams appears to trend to the Western Conference. Which has 11 teams at .500 or better compared to the East that only has 7.

And guess what??? ATL and CAR both lose again tonight! Sabres now 6 points out of 8th with 3 games in hand on CAR and a whopping 5 GAMES on ATL!

PTR

Add to that NYR also lost. Sabres have made up more ground on the playoffs in the last week without playing than they do when they play.

Archived