Trade deadline? Are the Sabres buyers or sellers?

PromoTheRobot

I couldn't agree more and stated as much in another post when I asked why does Darcy get all the credit for the moves that have worked and quinn gets all the credit for the non moves or the decisions that went bad? It makes no sense that Darcy would stay on for as long as he has if he was being held back. I consider him a pu$$y but come on, nobody in their right mind would stay on when they could realistically find other work with another team where theres free reign to go after the cup.

I def agree with the bolded part. I can see the argument that Darcy's hands are tied, one way or the other - whether through the internal cap or with LQ either making suggestions on who to target/retain or outright vetoing moves altogether. Of course that begs your question - why would DR/LR stay on in that case, if they are being micromanaged to the point that they can't make the roster moves they feel they can or need to.

My guess, as much as I hate to admit it - is it's all three of them have become this ultra-comfortable three-headed monster who are all equally to blame for what has happened to the Sabres roster, and TG is enabling this mess by either not caring or by not knowing/understanding how bad things are.

3 scenarios with the most likely first...

1. Sale to Pegula is "not completed by the trade deadline", and as part of the pending sale, no moves are to be be made either as buyers or sellers.(85%)

2. Sale to Pegula is "completed prior to the deadline", and he has someone lined up in a hockey consulting role in order to be sellers at the deadline.(10%)

3. Regier has free reign to make moves at the deadline(buyer or seller) regardless of the sale as long as he stays within the budget.(5%)

Whether or not the Sabres make any changes at the trade deadline (even with a new owner, I doubt Regier's ability to execute this plan), there will be quite a number of new players on the team for the 2011-2012 season. Looking at nhlnumbers.com, there are only 7 forwards and 3 defensemen signed for next season. Stafford & Gerbe are the only RFAs and I'd be willing to bet neither will be back on the team (Gerbe being more likely than Stafford but only on a 2 way deal). The 3 RFAs on D (Weber, Butler & Sekera) have better chance of being re-signed but only if there are spots available that don't get filled in the Free Agent/Trade market.

What I don't expect is more of the same / business as usual once the new owner assumes control. I think it's safe to say that a new direction needs to be taken and resigning the FAs that haven't accomplished what was needed isn't the way to go.

Anyway, if you think about Luke Adam & Zack Kassian making the roster, that leaves 3-4 forward slots available - hopefully to be filled with trades since the Free Agent market this Summer is supposed to be thin.

4 points out of the 8th seed at the All-Star break with 2 games in hand on ATL. Are we still selling?

PTR

If it were me running the show we'd still be selling. There are alot of contracts that end this season that won't be asked to be on the roster next year. I want whatever value I can get for them to help in the restructuring of the team. And there are several others (thinking Hecht, Goose, maybe Pommer, and a D-man or two) who will probably have good value as playoff additions to someone at the deadline. They aren't game changers for us and would likely be among the group of players I'd be looking to move in the off season anyway. If I can get what I want for them at the deadline, yeah I'll move 'em.

IMO, the only way you aren't selling is if you think the group here has more than one round in them and/or guys like Hecht and Goose are going to be part of your rebuilding process. Otherwise I think it is pretty damned shortsighted to not be selling this year.

If it were me running the show we'd still be selling. There are alot of contracts that end this season that won't be asked to be on the roster next year. I want whatever value I can get for them to help in the restructuring of the team. And there are several others (thinking Hecht, Goose, maybe Pommer, and a D-man or two) who will probably have good value as playoff additions to someone at the deadline. They aren't game changers for us and would likely be among the group of players I'd be looking to move in the off season anyway. If I can get what I want for them at the deadline, yeah I'll move 'em.

IMO, the only way you aren't selling is if you think the group here has more than one round in them and/or guys like Hecht and Goose are going to be part of your rebuilding process. Otherwise I think it is pretty damned shortsighted to not be selling this year.

I have no problem blowing out the deadwood, assuming we can get anything for them. But it's looking like our younger players are stepping up. So why not look for one or two veterans to bolster the kids? To add some leadership. I think we can do both.

PTR

They should definitely trade TC if they can get a good draft pick for him. Same goes for Montador. They should also trade Hecht and Pommer if they can get someone to take them off their hands without taking back bad contracts, but I don't think anyone will take them. I would keep Gaustad.

I have no problem blowing out the deadwood, assuming we can get anything for them. But it's looking like our younger players are stepping up. So why not look for one or two veterans to bolster the kids? To add some leadership. I think we can do both.

PTR

+1

PTR

Reality check.

Sabres have gone on a torrid streak on a relative basis, just to get into 10th place with some hope of climbing into the last playoff spot, which is still in the bottom half of the league, and we are now 60% done with the season.

Miller has started every game since Thanksgiving.

The past 3 weeks was the easiest stretch of the schedule this year.

Roy, Connolly, Rivet are pretty much useless to this team. That's almost 25% of the team salary.

Hecht, Gaustad, Grier, Niedermeyer, Lalime, Morrisson have all underperformed on whole and for the most part during this stretch.

Vanek, Stafford, Pominville have all rebounded and have led the play this stretch, but all are still overpaid for their total production

Montador, Leopold, Myers, Sekera have been acceptable considering their salary and roles.

Miller has woken up somewhat in this stretch, but again, he's played EVERY game for 2 months. That will come back to haunt this team if they need those last few wins to even get in.

The little dudes are energizing the team the past 2 weeks. It's a cute story for now, and Gerbe is a different player with some confidence in him, but the HC's are not a realistic long term solution. We've seen this show before, and Ennis, Gerbe and Byron might be better known as Dawe, Priestlay and Gage in a former life.

Bottom line.....I personally feel this team has probably made their run, and they may hold a playoff seed for a few days but are at or reaching their peak and will trickle 3-8 points below 8th for the rest of the year and probably will watch Miller melt down the last 2 weeks of the year.

If the actual team isn't sold soon, probably moot.....But I wait for the first sign of fizzle in the 2 weeks back and start unloading.

Reality check.

Sabres have gone on a torrid streak on a relative basis, just to get into 10th place with some hope of climbing into the last playoff spot, which is still in the bottom half of the league, and we are now 60% done with the season.

Miller has started every game since Thanksgiving.

The past 3 weeks was the easiest stretch of the schedule this year.

Roy, Connolly, Rivet are pretty much useless to this team. That's almost 25% of the team salary.

Hecht, Gaustad, Grier, Niedermeyer, Lalime, Morrisson have all underperformed on whole and for the most part during this stretch.

Vanek, Stafford, Pominville have all rebounded and have led the play this stretch, but all are still overpaid for their total production

Montador, Leopold, Myers, Sekera have been acceptable considering their salary and roles.

Miller has woken up somewhat in this stretch, but again, he's played EVERY game for 2 months. That will come back to haunt this team if they need those last few wins to even get in.

The little dudes are energizing the team the past 2 weeks. It's a cute story for now, and Gerbe is a different player with some confidence in him, but the HC's are not a realistic long term solution. We've seen this show before, and Ennis, Gerbe and Byron might be better known as Dawe, Priestlay and Gage in a former life.

Bottom line.....I personally feel this team has probably made their run, and they may hold a playoff seed for a few days but are at or reaching their peak and will trickle 3-8 points below 8th for the rest of the year and probably will watch Miller melt down the last 2 weeks of the year.

If the actual team isn't sold soon, probably moot.....But I wait for the first sign of fizzle in the 2 weeks back and start unloading.

The Sabres are certainly flawed, but so are the 4 teams in front of them -- Rangers, Montreal, Atlanta and Carolina. The Rangers are in the #6 slot, at 10 pts ahead of the Sabres but with 3 more games played.

The current smurfs each have a lot more offensive game than Dawe, Priestlay and Gage. You make a great observation about Gerbe playing with confidence.

As for the schedule, they may have played some crappy teams lately, but they did lose 2 to the Isles, and they did just play 5 games in 8 days.

They have 12 games in 23 days in February. Of those 12, 5 are against Toronto, Florida, Ottawa and the Isles. Plus Pittsburgh in the 1st game after the ASG (and thus perhaps no Crosby and/or Malkin) and Atlanta. That is a workable schedule.

Then, of course, we get Richards at the deadline and it is off to the effing races.

Lindy knows what to do. This team is going to make a run. I expect you to get with the program.

OR! Maybe they are Drury, Briere and Kane? We do not know, but I certinly don't look at Ennis and think he is a flash in the pan. The kid knows how to play the game. I'm looking at the team and thinking they have found whta they needed most, that is scoring. Vanek's line can score, Ennis, now that Neidermyer is off his live, can score as can Gerbe on his line. Three scoring lines! Do not let Connolly back on the ice. No way! Trade him for a bag of pucks, if necessary. A healthy Kaleta would sure bolster the line up. I wouldn't worry about trading away too many people, because once the season is over they get out of a few large contracts that will free up a lot of salary room.

The future looks good! Even the near future!

OR! Maybe they are Drury, Briere and Kane? We do not know, but I certinly don't look at Ennis and think he is a flash in the pan. The kid knows how to play the game. I'm looking at the team and thinking they have found whta they needed most, that is scoring. Vanek's line can score, Ennis, now that Neidermyer is off his live, can score as can Gerbe on his line. Three scoring lines! Do not let Connolly back on the ice. No way! Trade him for a bag of pucks, if necessary. A healthy Kaleta would sure bolster the line up. I wouldn't worry about trading away too many people, because once the season is over they get out of a few large contracts that will free up a lot of salary room.

The future looks good! Even the near future!

A playoff run would definitely be of more benefit to the kids on the team than mailing it in for the rest of the season.

The Sens have a bunch of youngsters, and them calling it quits for this season is not helping their kids.

PTR

Adding more dead weight to the roster is possibly the worst idea imaginable. Any moves made need to be geared towards the ultimate goal. Turning this franchise in to a legit Stanley Cup contender. The ultimate goal is not to sneak into 8th place and get swept by the Flyers.

It's nice to see some of the younger guys come in play well. If the youngsters have accomplished anything it is showing how expendable the majority of this roster is. It is in the franchise's best interest to move Connolly, Hecht, Rivet, Montador, Gaustad, Leopold, Neids and Grier at the deadline. If there is any way possible to move Pominville the Sabres need to do it.

With new ownership on the horizon I can't think of any better scenario than Pegula handing the keys to the Sabres to a new GM with $30+ million in salary cap space. The Sabres have a great opportunity a head of them if they just take advantage of it. The 2011-2012 season can be a season of great promise if the right moves are made this season.

So Deluca and Ghost say we have to give up now before we risk success? Both of you make some huge leaps to bolster your arguments. No one is saying we have to break the bank at the deadline. But giving up when you are in striking distance of the playoffs sends a terrible message to your team. Obviously neither of you played any kind of sports. Until it's hopeless you play to win.

PTR

So Deluca and Ghost say we have to give up now before we risk success? Both of you make some huge leaps to bolster your arguments. No one is saying we have to break the bank at the deadline. But giving up when you are in striking distance of the playoffs sends a terrible message to your team. Obviously neither of you played any kind of sports. Until it's hopeless you play to win.

PTR

That is the job of the players and coaches. A quality front office should be detached from such sentiment. A 8th seed and first round drubbing does not advance the team towards that ultimate goal. An actual step towards that goal would be to start the roster purge as soon as possible. Why let UFAs walk away for nothing when you can possible get a draft pick or prospect for them? That makes absolutely no sense.

A decision has to be made. What is better? To be able to say "at least we made the playoffs" or to start the process of building a legitimate contender?

That is the job of the players and coaches. A quality front office should be detached from such sentiment. A 8th seed and first round drubbing does not advance the team towards that ultimate goal. An actual step towards that goal would be to start the roster purge as soon as possible. Why let UFAs walk away for nothing when you can possible get a draft pick or prospect for them? That makes absolutely no sense.

A decision has to be made. What is better? To be able to say "at least we made the playoffs" or to start the process of building a legitimate contender?

Why can't they do both? They shouldn't be mutually exclusive. In fact, other teams do both all the time.

It's a tough, tough argument -

do we endure a couple of seasons of abysmal play and bottom-ranking to ensure some good draft picks and cap space with the hope that it makes us contenders later (see Pens, Flyers, Hawks, Caps)?

or

do we hope that management is savvy enough to build a strong enough contending team that doesn't just strive to make 8th place every year without having to mail in any season (see RedWings, Canucks, Sharks)?

Why can't they do both? They shouldn't be mutually exclusive. In fact, other teams do both all the time.

Because of the state of the current roster. There is too much dead weight and this team has too many needs to accomplish such a task. And simply, they don't have the people in place in the front office capable of getting a job like that done.

Looking at the young kids that recently have come up. They are fast and energetic. They are also very small. A soft team that plays a soft game can't afford to get smaller(and Roy isn't even in the lineup). I agree the small guys play tougher than the so-called bigger players on the roster. But there needs to be a balance if you are going to carry so many smallish players on the roster. And there is always the concern of the smallish players making it through the grind f a 82 game season. I like the idea of pulling in more guys from Portland and finishing the season with them. Maybe even adding a couple of prospects from other organizations at the deadline. That would be a far more productive playoff run then attempting a run with players that have no long term future with the franchise.

They should definitely trade TC if they can get a good draft pick for him. Same goes for Montador. They should also trade Hecht and Pommer if they can get someone to take them off their hands without taking back bad contracts, but I don't think anyone will take them. I would keep Gaustad.

Why would you want to trade one of your best defensemen this season for a draft pick? I'm guessing that you think Monty is playing like this because it's a contract year and the Sabres will be priced out of the market? You think Pegula is going to continue the trend of letting good talent walk out the door for chump change? Time's are changin', son.

Why would you want to trade one of your best defensemen this season for a draft pick? I'm guessing that you think Monty is playing like this because it's a contract year and the Sabres will be priced out of the market? You think Pegula is going to continue the trend of letting good talent walk out the door for chump change? Time's are changin', son.

You know what I would like to see for once? The old St. Louis move where they trade him and then re-sign him in the offseason.

At 31 and with all the prospects the Sabres have on the blue-line Montador is very expendable. As is Leopold and Morrisonn. Veteran blue-liner value's tend to rise at deadline time. They are some of the best options the Sabres have to add some quality assets.

At 31 and with all the prospects the Sabres have on the blue-line Montador is very expendable. As is Leopold and Morrisonn. Veteran blue-liner value's tend to rise at deadline time. They are some of the best options the Sabres have to add some quality assets.

While all three (plus Rivet) are expendable, I would like to keep at least one if not two for experience - Myers, Sekera, Weber, Butler, Gragnani are all young and might have a handful of playoff games between them.. some veteran leadership is crucially important for their further development.

Archived