Trade deadline? Are the Sabres buyers or sellers?

PromoTheRobot

Despite the latest loss the Sabres are still maintaining their "5 points every 4 games" pace that ought to get them to 91 points and hopefully the #8 playoff seed.

The Sabres will have around 4 weeks under the new regime to decide how to go into the trade deadline. Does Terry remain hands off until season's end, or does he sit down with Lindy and Darcy and tells them that they have the rest of the season to do whatever they feel is needed to make a playoff push? You could argue they would be earning their jobs next year. On the other hand if Terry plans to clean house why would he let the deals be made that could hamstring the team in the future? Thoughts?

FYI trade deadline day is Mon Feb. 28.

PTR

Sell. Connolly Gaustad Montador and Morrisonn. Gerbe Hecht maybe. Those would be the most likely IMO other teams may want. Bring up some other players to test them out.

If Sabres are still this far back don't bother bringing anyone in unless they're a UFA and the trading team needs cap space in exchange for some other teams player and pick(s) to us.

This would leave Sabres with some picks, seeing prospects in NHL, and plenty of space for July 1.

Sell.

Sell. Connolly Gaustad Montador and Morrisonn. Gerbe Hecht maybe. Those would be the most likely IMO other teams may want. Bring up some other players to test them out.

If Sabres are still this far back don't bother bringing anyone in unless they're a UFA and the trading team needs cap space in exchange for some other teams player and pick(s) to us.

This would leave Sabres with some picks, seeing prospects in NHL, and plenty of space for July 1.

Stafford is the big one. He's going to be an RFA and might be having a breakout season. We could probably get a lot for him if we traded him.

So do the Sabres keep him and then sign him long term? Or do they trade him now when his value is at an all-time high? They've been burned with most of the long term contracts they've given to supposed "core" players since 7/1/2007.

I don't know what I'd do but I hope they at least explore what other teams are willing to give up for Stafford.

The gut reaction is to sell, and I agree that Stafford is someone other teams may value. On the other hand, if Darcy is likely to go in the off season, wouldn't it be better not to give him any ultimatum and let the new GM make decisions in the offseason?

I don't know exactly what I'd do, but I'm not listed on the Forbes 400 either.

True, but I'm still not sold yet on what could happen on July 1st. We don't know if or when a new regime is coming in and who runs the show, if it even happens. That said, there's still some time before Feb 28th, so I'd like to see how things move in the next few weeks. If the deadline was January 28th, it would be a no-brainer to start selling.

As for who to sell...definitely Connolly, Gaustad, Gerbe, maybe Hecht, Stafford. Would they try to trade Morrisonn in his first year? I don't remember seeing something like that done.

Come July 1st is about the thinnest free agent market at forward ever.

Level I:

B. Richards-Semin- and done.

Level II:

Sturm - Ponikorovsky - S. Sullivan- Cole - Gagne

I really don't think Semin or Richards go to Free Agency.

Just reviewed Bucky's chat. His take: Fire sale! Clear the decks and start fresh.

But if Terry Pegula is anything like me it's awfully hard to throw in the towel. I know I would have a really hard time just saying 'eff it. If the guy is a fan and the Sabres are withing striking distance I say he tells Darcy to start looking for deadline talent.

PTR

True, but I'm still not sold yet on what could happen on July 1st. We don't know if or when a new regime is coming in and who runs the show, if it even happens. That said, there's still some time before Feb 28th, so I'd like to see how things move in the next few weeks. If the deadline was January 28th, it would be a no-brainer to start selling.

As for who to sell...definitely Connolly, Gaustad, Gerbe, maybe Hecht, Stafford. Would they try to trade Morrisonn in his first year? I don't remember seeing something like that done.

Doesn't matter who the owner is, players need to be changed. #thisjustaintworkin

Just reviewed Bucky's chat. His take: Fire sale! Clear the decks and start fresh.

But if Terry Pegula is anything like me it's awfully hard to throw in the towel. I know I would have a really hard time just saying 'eff it. If the guy is a fan and the Sabres are withing striking distance I say he tells Darcy to start looking for deadline talent.

PTR

I get the sense that many of us here, myself included feel that "blowing it up" is the best option in the long run. As far out of the playoff picture, disjointed, and uninspired this team is, not to mention without its leading scorer its hard to argue. In a perfect world, that process starts now well before the deadline to open up room for prospects and ssshhhhhh....... make sure to tank the season right for the draft.

That being said, and its just my feeling, but my fear is that new ownership may take that process more slowly. I could see masses of casual fans who occasionally buy tix and always root for the team to win, perceiving an immediate fire sale as a negative.

New owner+Pissed off fans=Not a fantastic way to endear yourself. I dont live in B-lo, so Im not privy to the mindset or depth of knowlege of the greater fanbase (who dont spend time refining their knowlege with you fine folks), so I may be way off. I know in the end we all want championships, I just hope TP isnt scared off by fans and ticket sales who may not be prepared to deal with a nosedive finish to this year, and potentially more growing pains next for the greater good.

I get the sense that many of us here, myself included feel that "blowing it up" is the best option in the long run. As far out of the playoff picture, disjointed, and uninspired this team is, not to mention without its leading scorer its hard to argue. In a perfect world, that process starts now well before the deadline to open up room for prospects and ssshhhhhh....... make sure to tank the season right for the draft.

That being said, and its just my feeling, but my fear is that new ownership may take that process more slowly. I could see masses of casual fans who occasionally buy tix and always root for the team to win, perceiving an immediate fire sale as a negative.

New owner+Pissed off fans=Not a fantastic way to endear yourself. I dont live in B-lo, so Im not privy to the mindset or depth of knowlege of the greater fanbase (who dont spend time refining their knowlege with you fine folks), so I may be way off. I know in the end we all want championships, I just hope TP isnt scared off by fans and ticket sales who may not be prepared to deal with a nosedive finish to this year, and potentially more growing pains next for the greater good.

He has at least a two year grace period before anyone would start worrying about their record, so long as front office and/or coaching and/or scouting and/or significant personnel changes are taking place. Look at Buddy/Chan and their project in OP. Pegs could walk in, say we need to tear down and start over, and fans would rejoice, not walk away. His plan may be to delay announcing/effectuating the ownership change until they are at a point where the sabres are clearly out of the hunt so as to buy himself ANOTHER year of grace.

Sell.

Stafford is the big one. He's going to be an RFA and might be having a breakout season. We could probably get a lot for him if we traded him.

So do the Sabres keep him and then sign him long term? Or do they trade him now when his value is at an all-time high? They've been burned with most of the long term contracts they've given to supposed "core" players since 7/1/2007.

I don't know what I'd do but I hope they at least explore what other teams are willing to give up for Stafford.

My 2 cents:

I would definitely sell Connolly at the deadline, and in fact will be disappointed if the Sabres fail to do so. If Torres and Moore are worth 2nd-round picks, I think the Sabres could get 2 second-round picks or possibly even a 1st-rounder for him.

I would love to unload Pommer and Hecht, and would accept just about anything in return other than equally mediocre players with equally bad contracts, but I don't think anyone will be interested. Their contracts are prohibitive.

I could see someone being interested in Montador, as playoff teams can always use another defenseman, and Montador's numbers this year are pretty good -- better, IMHO, than his actual play. I wouldn't trade him just to dump him, but I would gladly do so for a 2nd-round pick, which I could see happening.

Stafford is an interesting question. As an RFA, it won't cost the Sabres that much to re-sign him to, say, another 2-year deal. It's more likely than not that this year's production is just contract year fireworks, but I still wouldn't trade him just for the sake of trading him -- i.e. I wouldn't take just a 2nd-round pick for him. If someone makes a really good offer -- like a 1st and a 2nd, or maybe a pretty good player that needs to be unloaded for cap reasons -- then I would take the deal, but not otherwise.

Similarly, I could see someone wanting Gaustad, but I wouldn't trade him just for the sake of trading him. He's overpaid, but not too badly in absolute dollars, and I like his size and intensity.

My bottom line: I don't think the team needs to be blown up. I'm reasonably comfortable with the defensemen and Miller, but the top 6 needs significant change -- pretty much the same thing it's needed for 3 years now. I'd be pretty surprised if they are able to unload anyone besides TC before the end of the season. By the end of the summer, though, the overhaul of the top 6 needs to happen, and they need a real backup goalie already.

He has at least a two year grace period before anyone would start worrying about their record, so long as front office and/or coaching and/or scouting and/or significant personnel changes are taking place. Look at Buddy/Chan and their project in OP. Pegs could walk in, say we need to tear down and start over, and fans would rejoice, not walk away. His plan may be to delay announcing/effectuating the ownership change until they are at a point where the sabres are clearly out of the hunt so as to buy himself ANOTHER year of grace.

Your logic is soothing. And its always Ron Jeremy's comical voice in my mind as I read your posts. B-)

Barring the Sabres winning out in January, it time to sell, sell, sell!!! It will be interesting though if they do decide to be sellers, what would be the point of having Darcy run the trade deadline deals if Pegula has no intention of retaining him? Who does he put in charge on short notice to make the deals to bring in the type of players to make up the team he envisions?

I dont think you are going to see drastic changes immediately with an ownership change.

I cant remember there being a time when a team had a fire sale and traded that many guys at the deadline. Does anyone have an example of trading away half your core at a deadline?

This team wont be competitive for a long tiem if we trade away our assets for more picks. We dont have the next superstar in the system either.

A couple of moves might happen but it wont be a firesale.

This team wont be competitive for a long tiem if we trade away our assets for more picks. We dont have the next superstar in the system either.

I don't think our team is going to be competitive any time soon if we hold on to our assets. It's time to hit the reset button and blow this thing up.

We don't have the next superstar in our system because he's already on the team and already won the Calder Trophy last year as a 19-year-old. Myers is 20 and still just figuring out what he's doing out there. Same goes for Ennis and Adam. If they weren't already Sabres, they'd be dominating the AHL and we'd be excited about that.

Next year we'll probably have Kassian (signed already), Foligno, McNabb, and Boychuk signed to professional contracts. The 2008 and 2009 drafts should provide a new "core" of the team. I'm willing to trade guys from our current [unsuccessful] core for draft picks that can add to that.

The only problem is that Miller is already 30. So even though we should have a pretty good team in front of him in the next 2-3 years, I'm worried that he'll hit the downside of his career by the time we're ready to contend again.

I don't think our team is going to be competitive any time soon if we hold on to our assets. It's time to hit the reset button and blow this thing up.

We don't have the next superstar in our system because he's already on the team and already won the Calder Trophy last year as a 19-year-old. Myers is 20 and still just figuring out what he's doing out there. Same goes for Ennis and Adam. If they weren't already Sabres, they'd be dominating the AHL and we'd be excited about that.

Next year we'll probably have Kassian (signed already), Foligno, McNabb, and Boychuk signed to professional contracts. The 2008 and 2009 drafts should provide a new "core" of the team. I'm willing to trade guys from our current [unsuccessful] core for draft picks that can add to that.

The only problem is that Miller is already 30. So even though we should have a pretty good team in front of him in the next 2-3 years, I'm worried that he'll hit the downside of his career by the time we're ready to contend again.

You need some experience on the team, some sort of bona fide talent. I agree we need to gut the team, but i cant ever remember a franchise dumping so many players at once. This team seriously needs scoring help and calling up some kids from the OHL wont help, especially when they arent dominating against teenagers.

In all liklihood i think progress will be slow and calculated.

Connolly Gaustad Montador Morrisonn Gerbe Hecht

None I consider "Core" right now.

Montador is having a good season.

The problem on this team is the forwards IMO, when Leopold has more goals and points than anyone not named Roy and Vanek (stafford has more goals, but less points) you have a big problem. Theres no easy fix to this mess but i have yet to see an example of a franchise "blowing it up" and starting over let alone doing so with success.

Move a player or two at a time, which they will do via loses in FA anyway. Besides if we all think these guys blow how much do you expect to receive?

You need some experience on the team, some sort of bona fide talent. I agree we need to gut the team, but i cant ever remember a franchise dumping so many players at once. This team seriously needs scoring help and calling up some kids from the OHL wont help, especially when they arent dominating against teenagers.

In all liklihood i think progress will be slow and calculated.

Montador is having a good season.

The problem on this team is the forwards IMO, when Leopold has more goals and points than anyone not named Roy and Vanek (stafford has more goals, but less points) you have a big problem. Theres no easy fix to this mess but i have yet to see an example of a franchise "blowing it up" and starting over let alone doing so with success.

Move a player or two at a time, which they will do via loses in FA anyway. Besides if we all think these guys blow how much do you expect to receive?

The key here is to get something for them, picks, prospect before they're gone for nothing.

Weber - second round

Sekera- third rounder

Miller- 5th rounder

Sure they take a few years, but I'm not dyin' anytime soon.

The key here is to get something for them, picks, prospect before they're gone for nothing.

Weber - second round

Sekera- third rounder

Miller- 5th rounder

Sure they take a few years, but I'm not dyin' anytime soon.

Yea true, but you think a new owner comes in and says hey.... i know this team has sucked and hardly makes the playoffs....but lets draft some kids and in 3-5 years well finally finish in the top 8?

Nah, they need to swap players and get some picks. Not an easy job, anyone worht anything on this team carries too much of a cap hit.

Even if we trade all the players mentioned in this thread, they'll still have Roy, Pominville, and Vanek up front. Plus there's nothing to stop them from signing a veteran (even if he isn't a superstar) this offseason.

On the blue line, Montador and Leopold have been around a whole. So has Morrison. Sekera already has a bunch of years in the league and Myers will have two full seasons of experience.

How much experience do you actually need? We have a lot of experienced guys on the team now who have been together a long time. It's not even close to working.

Plus, as spnd pointed out, we're losing a lot of these players anyway. Let's scoop up whatever draft picks we can for them.

Archived