Trade deadline? Are the Sabres buyers or sellers?

PromoTheRobot

If Sekera is included, it has to be for a really good forward. Butler is starting to approach his give-up-on date.

I would like to see Butler stay in the lineup over the final 32 games before adding him to the list of talented young hockey player this franchise failed to develop.

I would like to see Butler stay in the lineup over the final 32 games before adding him to the list of talented young hockey player this franchise failed to develop.

What list is that? Who else is on this list? Are you assuming that everyone the Sabres drafted high or gave a cup of coffee to at the NHL level should've developed into a good NHL player, and that the failure of this to occur is the Sabres' fault? Or is there a list of young players who have left the Sabres and gone on to better things elsewhere?

Copying and pasting whole articles or large portions of articles is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If you want to reference an article published elsewhere, please provide a link (a short piece of relevant text is ok to include) and then provide your commentary. Thank you for your cooperation.

-This is an automated response.

this is a bit of an evolution here at sabrespace. does the website maintain a written policy on the matter?

there's a lot i could venture here about fair use, but i reckon it's easier to have a policy like this rather than argue with other online publishers about the issue.

which brings me round to a question i infrequently ponder: sabrespace makes money, no? (i don't mean to be thick about it. at the office, i see few ads on the site; at home, i see many of them.)

this is a bit of an evolution here at sabrespace. does the website maintain a written policy on the matter?

there's a lot i could venture here about fair use, but i reckon it's easier to have a policy like this rather than argue with other online publishers about the issue.

which brings me round to a question i infrequently ponder: sabrespace makes money, no? (i don't mean to be thick about it. at the office, i see few ads on the site; at home, i see many of them.)

This is weird. I hadn't noticed any ads. I don't see any ads now.

This is weird. I hadn't noticed any ads. I don't see any ads now.

There are ads on the home page of the website.

(my first response was, "what ads?", then I checked the homepage. I am bookmarked to go straight to the forums so I almost never see the homepage.)

My picks to dump. I know teams won't want some of these guys but I'm just listing the players I think should be gone.

Connolly, Hecht, Goose, Rivet, Lalime, Butler, Pommer, Grier ( although he's good on the PK), & Niedermayer.

I say give Morrisonn more time and the same with Sekera. I like the rest of the D. Maybe sell Stafford if the return is good but I have to give him credit as he is better this season versus last year where he was downright horrid. And please, get a solid backup Goalie. Enroth, I don't care, just not Lalime. He is so past his prime.

Pegula cannot sign the owner papers fast enough! Go Sabres!!

Whether it's the trade deadline or the offseason, I'd be shocked if Connolly, Rivet, Lalime, Grier and Niedermayer are Sabres come October.

Butler will probably be traded. With all the dmen in Portland(or signing someone in FA), combined with the fact that he is regressing instead of improving, leaves little room for him as a Sabre. Hecht will be gone when his contract ends after next season(unless Pegula is more receptive to contract buyouts). Pominville may become more attractive on the trade market as the number of years remaining on his contract go down(if not, get used to him for 3 more seasons). Gaustad also only has one year remaining on his contract and unless he is willing to sign a contract for 1.25 to 1.5 mil, he can join the rest of the guys who need to be kicked to the curb.

There are ads on the home page of the website.

(my first response was, "what ads?", then I checked the homepage. I am bookmarked to go straight to the forums so I almost never see the homepage.)

I don't see any. Maybe a browser/platform issue.

I think anyone who is not logged in gets them. There have also always been a few on the front page.

it must be a function of whether you're logged in. on the home computer, my log-in doesn't stick (or it gets cleared), so i always see ads on the message board site (i almost never visit the site's home page (nothing against it, i just don't)).

that raises another question for me: why are you exempted from the ads once you log on? for my own part, i wouldn't care if i had to see ads, if it meant that the site made more scratch.

it must be a function of whether you're logged in. on the home computer, my log-in doesn't stick (or it gets cleared), so i always see ads on the message board site (i almost never visit the site's home page (nothing against it, i just don't)).

that raises another question for me: why are you exempted from the ads once you log on? for my own part, i wouldn't care if i had to see ads, if it meant that the site made more scratch.

I would care. It would not be a deal-breaker, but I would care.

My Question is who is even really available for trade this year? Figures, the year we need Timmy to produce he doesn't. So there's little to no hope of getting anyone remotely capable of what this team needs. I figure we could get some decent draft picks for all the dead weight the Sabres are carrying, but i see this team as sellers. Pegula is on his way, and right now we're six points out. I understand that's not a long shot for a team riding a hot streak into the all star break, but our younger guys have proven they can produce without the presence of our power players like Roy. We out spend the Washington capitals by 3 million, is anyone else surprised by that? Drop the overpaid and under-performing, give the young guys some Real NHL playing time, and potentially some playoff experience, and we'll be in relatively good shape going into the off-season.

My Question is who is even really available for trade this year? Figures, the year we need Timmy to produce he doesn't. So there's little to no hope of getting anyone remotely capable of what this team needs. I figure we could get some decent draft picks for all the dead weight the Sabres are carrying, but i see this team as sellers. Pegula is on his way, and right now we're six points out. I understand that's not a long shot for a team riding a hot streak into the all star break, but our younger guys have proven they can produce without the presence of our power players like Roy. We out spend the Washington capitals by 3 million, is anyone else surprised by that? Drop the overpaid and under-performing, give the young guys some Real NHL playing time, and potentially some playoff experience, and we'll be in relatively good shape going into the off-season.

I don't care if we get players back at the deadline. Actually, I do care. I want to see draft picks coming back, not players. If we can move 4 or 5 players for picks then we will have ALOT of options. Teams like trading for picks. If we have a stockpile of draft picks we are in a good position to make some offseason trades. We could either move up in the draft or package picks and young kids for a player or two that is likely to make an impact.

Move the vets. Play the kids. Collect draft picks. Profit.

Well the race is on now to see if TP can get control before the trade deadline. How many days would he need to have an impact? Do TP's people have any contact/input with Darcy, Quinn, etc. beforehand? Does TP have people making plans as we speak? Is the franchise set back if TO misses the deadline?

PTR

The Sabres will have Cap space, but there are very few players on the UFA market this year that deserve much of it.

Richards and Pikkanen are the prizes. I think Pikkanen goes to market. I don't think Richards does.

Need to think outside of the Regierian Box. Think RFA'a and trades as additional ways to improve the team.

Bingo. It's not enough to have tens of millions in cap space and all the money in the world to spend, there have to be good free agents available to sign.

It's not like there are 3-4 stud players in the prime of their career that we can go out and get this summer.

Believe it or not, Tim Connolly is practically a top 10 forward in the UFA market.

It is thinner than thin. Semin and Backes are already locked up. Richards, Gagne, Ryder, Frolov, Zherdev, Cole.

Even on D it is thin: Andrie Markov, Lindstrom (like he's going anywhere), Joni Pickenin, Jovanoski, probably top it out.

The Sabres will have Cap space, but there are very few players on the UFA market this year that deserve much of it.

Richards and Pikkanen are the prizes. I think Pikkanen goes to market. I don't think Richards does.

There are a few high quality players that'll be on the market. Off the top of my head you've got Brad Richards, Justin Williams, Jussi Jokinen, Joni Pitkanen. I think Trevor Daley is gonna get some attention too. Buffalo won't be able to sign all of them but getting a couple off this list and using the rest of the draft picks gotten from trading off our FA's at the deadline can still give the next GM alot of options for trades. I see no reason why a Montreal-style 1 offseason rebuild isn't realistic.

There are a few high quality players that'll be on the market. Off the top of my head you've got Brad Richards, Justin Williams, Jussi Jokinen, Joni Pitkanen. I think Trevor Daley is gonna get some attention too. Buffalo won't be able to sign all of them but getting a couple off this list and using the rest of the draft picks gotten from trading off our FA's at the deadline can still give the next GM alot of options for trades. I see no reason why a Montreal-style 1 offseason rebuild isn't realistic.

Williams I've always liked. I'm pretty sure Daley is off the market for the next 6 years.

Jussi Jokinen I would take over Clarke MacArthur - which isn't saying much.

I just see a pretty weak market.

Williams I've always liked. I'm pretty sure Daley is off the market for the next 6 years.

Jussi Jokinen I would take over Clarke MacArthur - which isn't saying much.

I just see a pretty weak market.

I just took a quick look at the listed UFA's and found four guys at the age of 26 that I think would be a good start to rebuilding this franchise:

Maxime Talbot

Tomas Fleischmann

Nikolai Zherdev

Patrick Eaves

Are any of these players center pieces? No! You bring these guys in with a Brad Richards and Simone Gagne and you have yourself a pretty decent off-season to start. I said to start. Take a chance on a RFA and work the trade market. No trade market? Pick up the damn phone and create one.

Well the race is on now to see if TP can get control before the trade deadline. How many days would he need to have an impact? Do TP's people have any contact/input with Darcy, Quinn, etc. beforehand? Does TP have people making plans as we speak? Is the franchise set back if TO misses the deadline?

PTR

He could have a monster impact on day one. If he can get Verizon to run a phone/fax line to the General Managers office.

That's a tall order. The only way he pulls that off is to kill any cap that he has for probably the next few season(I actually mean 4 or 5 seasons). I know we have a lot coming off the books this off season but I would be happy it see maybe 1/2 to 2/3 of his "wish list" be fulfilled.

Why would trading away players for picks and prospects kill any cap space?

I just took a quick look at the listed UFA's and found four guys at the age of 26 that I think would be a good start to rebuilding this franchise:

Maxime Talbot

Tomas Fleischmann

Nikolai Zherdev

Patrick Eaves

Are any of these players center pieces? No! You bring these guys in with a Brad Richards and Simone Gagne and you have yourself a pretty decent off-season to start. I said to start. Take a chance on a RFA and work the trade market. No trade market? Pick up the damn phone and create one.

Richards doesn't go to Market IMO.

Gagne would be an awful chance.

Talbot is a depth player 3rd line, Fleishman has heart trouble IIRC, Zherdev is head case, but tempting, Eaves I've always liked but for the chances he's had I would say his production hasn't been good, But adding these guys would hardly signify a rebuilding posture IMO.

Giving any of the above guys multiyear deals is not a great addition for the franchise in the offseason.

That's why I really do think there will be moves at the deadline this year.

PTR

I'd think this issue of talking with "employees" before you own the company goes somewhat like talking to UFA's before July1. UR not supposed to do it, but it happens.

Archived