Trade deadline? Are the Sabres buyers or sellers?

PromoTheRobot

It's nice to see some of the younger guys come in play well. If the youngsters have accomplished anything it is showing how expendable the majority of this roster is. It is in the franchise's best interest to move Connolly, Hecht, Rivet, Montador, Gaustad, Leopold, Neids and Grier at the deadline. If there is any way possible to move Pominville the Sabres need to do it.

With new ownership on the horizon I can't think of any better scenario than Pegula handing the keys to the Sabres to a new GM with $30+ million in salary cap space. The Sabres have a great opportunity a head of them if they just take advantage of it. The 2011-2012 season can be a season of great promise if the right moves are made this season.

That is the job of the players and coaches. A quality front office should be detached from such sentiment. A 8th seed and first round drubbing does not advance the team towards that ultimate goal. An actual step towards that goal would be to start the roster purge as soon as possible. Why let UFAs walk away for nothing when you can possible get a draft pick or prospect for them? That makes absolutely no sense.

A decision has to be made. What is better? To be able to say "at least we made the playoffs" or to start the process of building a legitimate contender?

I agree with much of this, although I don't think anyone will want Rivet, Niedermayer or Grier. I also wouldn't trade Gaustad.

No one wants to see an 8th seed and a first round drubbing. But a #7 seed would put them into a very winnable 1st round matchup with, say, Tampa or Boston. I think getting there and winning that series would advance the team towards the ultimate goal.

Why would you want to trade one of your best defensemen this season for a draft pick? I'm guessing that you think Monty is playing like this because it's a contract year and the Sabres will be priced out of the market? You think Pegula is going to continue the trend of letting good talent walk out the door for chump change? Time's are changin', son.

I just don't think Monty is that good. I know his numbers are good this year, but when I watch him, I think he's OK, but just OK. I wouldn't dump him for the sake of dumping him, but if someone were to offer a 2nd-round pick for him, I think I would take it. However, I don't think DR will trade him, and this is a pretty defensible position too, because they are trying to make the playoffs and on many nights he's in their top 2 in ice time, so it would be too disruptive.

DeLuca has an either-or mentality. He also makes a lot of assumptions then treats them as facts, like this roster needs to be gutted whole, or being the 8th seed means we lose the first round. Tell that to the Flyers. I don't disagree the Sabres need to improve but I don't think it will take cutting every player and losing every game for the next three years. In fact that's a pretty idiotic strategy. How do you expect the Sabres to sell any tickets or attract players if they make it known they plan to suck for 3 years?

We have a young core of talent ready to move up. I say dump the players you can dump while making a couple moves for the playoff push. The young players will get much more out of playing for a goal (making the playoffs) than giving up and coasting to the finish line.

PTR

DeLuca has an either-or mentality. He also makes a lot of assumptions then treats them as facts, like this roster needs to be gutted whole, or being the 8th seed means we lose the first round. Tell that to the Flyers. I don't disagree the Sabres need to improve but I don't think it will take cutting every player and losing every game for the next three years. In fact that's a pretty idiotic strategy. How do you expect the Sabres to sell any tickets or attract players if they make it known they plan to suck for 3 years?

We have a young core of talent ready to move up. I say dump the players you can dump while making a couple moves for the playoff push. The young players will get much more out of playing for a goal (making the playoffs) than giving up and coasting to the finish line.

PTR

Who said anything about three years? You need to pay attention. With a new GM, Coach and possibly $30 mil in cap space (if players can be dumped) there is no reason the turn around can't begin this off-season. Going into 2011-12 with a core made up of some of the younger guys and some top level free agent talent is plenty to get excited about. Problem is that none of that can happen unless a new owner is in place and the front office is completely gutted. Missing the playoffs for a ridiculous 6th time in 9 seasons goes a long way to ensuring changes are made if/when a new owner comes in. I said it before, I would gladly sacrifice a handful of games this April if it can lead to games being played May and June in future seasons.

It IS an either-or situation.

The choices are simple. Hang on to the pending UFA's and dead weight players hoping to make the playoffs knowing that you will get nothing in return for them in the offseaon. Or, move the pending UFA's and dead weight players for picks/prospects/whatever to begin the roster rebuild. You can't have it both ways. You will need the Connolly's and Montador's, etc for the playoff grind. You either prep for the future now and get the resources to start to build for a contender or you hang onto these guys for the rest of the season in the hopes that playoffs are in the picture, but you lose them as resources for building the future.

If you only go half-way with either choice you ending doing it half-assed. Mgt needs to commit to rebuild and retool now or hope for a punchers chance in the playoffs. Given that this group of players has shown no punch in the last 3-1/2 seasons I think it is a suckers' bet to hope for the punchers chance.

I think so much of this hinges on the ownership situation and when it happens. Chasing a theory I've had for a while, I came across this article which may shed some light on the "slugger's chance" mentality of the organization (while in this all too familiar just out of playoff position) instead of building an honest Stanley Cup contender. C'mon, we know what its all about with Tommy Paychex.

DOLLAR BILLS Y'ALL

The choices are simple. Hang on to the pending UFA's and dead weight players hoping to make the playoffs knowing that you will get nothing in return for them in the offseaon. Or, move the pending UFA's and dead weight players for picks/prospects/whatever to begin the roster rebuild. You can't have it both ways. You will need the Connolly's and Montador's, etc for the playoff grind. You either prep for the future now and get the resources to start to build for a contender or you hang onto these guys for the rest of the season in the hopes that playoffs are in the picture, but you lose them as resources for building the future.

If you only go half-way with either choice you ending doing it half-assed. Mgt needs to commit to rebuild and retool now or hope for a punchers chance in the playoffs. Given that this group of players has shown no punch in the last 3-1/2 seasons I think it is a suckers' bet to hope for the punchers chance.

Great point!

The underdog scenario is great when it happens. It is not the foundation to build your franchise on.

I think so much of this hinges on the ownership situation and when it happens. Chasing a theory I've had for a while, I came across this article which may shed some light on the "slugger's chance" mentality of the organization (while in this all too familiar just out of playoff position) instead of building an honest Stanley Cup contender. C'mon, we know what its all about with Tommy Paychex.

DOLLAR BILLS Y'ALL

And this is why there will be no moves of substance at the deadline and TG/LQ will be crossing their fingers. They want nothing more than one last cheap hit off that teat before TP takes it away.

Unfortunately, the organization will lose precious resources in the offseason, making the upcoming rebiuild that much more difficult.

And this is why there will be no moves of substance at the deadline and TG/LQ will be crossing their fingers. They want nothing more than one last cheap hit off that teat before TP takes it away.

Unfortunately, the organization will lose precious resources in the offseason, making the upcoming rebiuild that much more difficult.

This may be what's holding it up. Golisano not so sure he wants to sell before the end of the season. Lawyers getting put on the spot to come up with all the wording of "u can have it now, but we get the net profit through June 30" stuff.

The current smurfs each have a lot more offensive game than Dawe, Priestlay and Gage. You make a great observation about Gerbe playing with confidence.

BTW- Dawe and Preistlay may be a very apt comparison. In the 3 seasons Dawe played with Buffalo full time he averaged about 22 goals and 45 points and Preistlay had 50 pts in 117 games.

On this team that would get them locked into long term deals at $4M per. :blink:

Yeah....gage is a bad comparison, just the trendy career NHL name to throw out!

Here's the deal with the Humping Chihuahuas....

Gerbe has 4 goals in 3 games......but had 2 goals in the 28 previous games.

Ennis has 9 points in his last 6 but had 19 points in the previous 43.

That's great....good for them for going on a little streak. I once saw Don Beebe catch 3 TDs in a game.

Good for the team...they played fairly well for the month of January, a month where they played 3 games a week and had 1 set of back to back nights. They went 5-1-1 against playoff caliber teams....that's nothing to sneeze at. But just look at the schedule spacing for December and January.......12 games each month, and the games were very well spaced. This helped Miller get through the stretch and he played his best hockey of the season. This also helped the undersized fellas maintain some spunk.

Now look at the next 2 months. February...12 games in 23 days as opposed to 12 in 31 they have played the past 2 months. March....16 games in 30 days. April.....5 games in 8 days.

The Sabres just took advantage of the best set of circumstances possible when it comes to scheduling...and they have a bunch of guys hurt even then. What do you think will happen to these guys as the games pile on and there is no time to rest? Or when the little stretch of confidence turns into a 4 game losing streak? As much fun as it is to see an underdog overachieve on a personal level, do you not see Ennis almost dying when going head first into the boards on a minor shove? Or Byron having to use every ounce of energy to lunge his entire body against his opponent just to maintain his position? I love Gerbe's spunk the past 2 weeks, and it would be great if he turns out to be a 20 goal scorer in the league.....but you can't build a team around hope in longshots.

In reality, again, the sale hasn't moved forward as of yet and this discussion is moot. We are probably going to be stuck with a Rivet for a 4th round pick to a California team....Maybe, just maybe, Connolly for a 23 year old forward who was a 1st round pick and has underachieved....and that will be your deadline day.

What is going to unfold on the ice is that Buffalo will probably play just well enough going into the deadline to keep hope alive, floating between 7th and 11th in the conference. Then as the games keep coming, and Miller keeps playing, and teams get tougher and hungrier....the Sabres will piddle down to 6 or 8 points out of it then the chute will be pulled and everyone wishes we would have had a firesale.

Again....this organization is like living with an alcoholic in the family. On their best days you want to see the best in them and forget the times they say hurtfull words, raise a hand, miss an important meeting, etc.....but the reality is unless an alcoholic bottoms out, they will never go and get the help they need. Too many fans have re-enforced this negative cycle the Sabres have shown.....and I guess I shouldn't be shocked to see it going on again in our ADHD/HDTV era.

You go ahead and sit on Uncle Larry's lap.........I'm sure it's different this time.

That's great....good for them for going on a little streak. I once saw Don Beebe catch 3 TDs in a game.

Good for the team...they played fairly well for the month of January, a month where they played 3 games a week and had 1 set of back to back nights. They went 5-1-1 against playoff caliber teams....that's nothing to sneeze at. But just look at the schedule spacing for December and January.......12 games each month, and the games were very well spaced. This helped Miller get through the stretch and he played his best hockey of the season. This also helped the undersized fellas maintain some spunk.

Now look at the next 2 months. February...12 games in 23 days as opposed to 12 in 31 they have played the past 2 months. March....16 games in 30 days. April.....5 games in 8 days.

The Sabres just took advantage of the best set of circumstances possible when it comes to scheduling...and they have a bunch of guys hurt even then. What do you think will happen to these guys as the games pile on and there is no time to rest? Or when the little stretch of confidence turns into a 4 game losing streak? As much fun as it is to see an underdog overachieve on a personal level, do you not see Ennis almost dying when going head first into the boards on a minor shove? Or Byron having to use every ounce of energy to lunge his entire body against his opponent just to maintain his position? I love Gerbe's spunk the past 2 weeks, and it would be great if he turns out to be a 20 goal scorer in the league.....but you can't build a team around hope in longshots.

In reality, again, the sale hasn't moved forward as of yet and this discussion is moot. We are probably going to be stuck with a Rivet for a 4th round pick to a California team....Maybe, just maybe, Connolly for a 23 year old forward who was a 1st round pick and has underachieved....and that will be your deadline day.

What is going to unfold on the ice is that Buffalo will probably play just well enough going into the deadline to keep hope alive, floating between 7th and 11th in the conference. Then as the games keep coming, and Miller keeps playing, and teams get tougher and hungrier....the Sabres will piddle down to 6 or 8 points out of it then the chute will be pulled and everyone wishes we would have had a firesale.

Again....this organization is like living with an alcoholic in the family. On their best days you want to see the best in them and forget the times they say hurtfull words, raise a hand, miss an important meeting, etc.....but the reality is unless an alcoholic bottoms out, they will never go and get the help they need. Too many fans have re-enforced this negative cycle the Sabres have shown.....and I guess I shouldn't be shocked to see it going on again in our ADHD/HDTV era.

You go ahead and sit on Uncle Larry's lap.........I'm sure it's different this time.

Sounds like you are pissed because they are doing well? :blink: So let me make sure I understand...it's bad when the Sabres lose but it's also bad when they win?

PTR

Great point!

The underdog scenario is great when it happens. It is not the foundation to build your franchise on.

What I think is being missed in the "fire sale/no fire sale" debate is the very important issue of what could be reasonably expected to come back in return. This isn't a Kovalchuk scenario, where the Sabres are going to get another team's top prospect and #1 draft choice, plus 2 other NHL players, in exchange for anyone on their roster. Specifically:

UFAs:

TC -- MIGHT fetch a low #1 IF he has a really good February; a #2 or the type of prospect DD mentioned is much more likely

Montador -- might fetch a #2; a #3 is more likely.

Grier, Niedermayer, Rivet -- no one is going to give the Sabres anything for any of these guys.

RFAs:

Stafford, Weber, Sekera -- each of these players would fetch a good return -- probably a #1 or a #2. However, I don't think the Sabres will or should trade any of them. Each of them is a pretty good player and as an RFA will be back next year at a reasonable contract.

Gerbe -- might fetch a #3 -- with the progress he's shown lately, and his inexpensive cost, there is no reason to trade him.

Players under contract for next season:

Pommer, Hecht -- I'm fine with unloading either or both of them if possible, but I think that no one is going to take these white elephant contracts as each of them is overpaid by $2.5MM or so unless the Sabres take back bad contracts in return. Certainly no one is going to give the Sabres anything good for them.

Gaustad, Vanek -- I think it would be a mistake to trade either of these guys. While each has flaws, each is also a pretty valuable piece. Gaustad is overpaid but only by about $600K or so; Vanek is overpaid but is a 2-time 40-goal scorer and I think will be again from time to time.

Leopold, Morrisson -- I'm fine with unloading either or both of them. I don't see the Sabres getting more than a #2 for Leopold and a #3 for Morrisson. Since their contracts are reasonable, I don't see any urgency to unload them.

So what does this proposed fire sale get us? Not much, really, at the end of the day, except a few #2 and lower picks and perhaps an underperforming prospect or 2 who might have potential -- and a ton of holes to fill.

On a well-constructed team, the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. I think this team is 2-3 moves away from being a well-constructed team. After a fire sale, they would be 7-8 moves away.

As for the smurfs wearing down -- we'll see. Gerbe seems pretty solidly built both physically and mentally. This is Ennis' 2nd go-around, so that will help him. I don't expect Byron to be in the lineup down the stretch, and if he is, you will probably be right about him not being physically ready for it. But Stafford and Vanek each have the kind of body, hands and experience that will allow him to excel down the stretch, and Stafford is in a contract year (as is TC). Their grit forwards, other than Kaleta, and their defensemen, can all be expected to hold up physically.

Also, in January, they played 12 games in 25 days (not 31) -- not much different from the 12 in 23 they will play in February.

Do not go gently into that good night.

UFAs:

TC -- MIGHT fetch a low #1 IF he has a really good February; a #2 or the type of prospect DD mentioned is much more likely

Montador -- might fetch a #2; a #3 is more likely.

Grier, Niedermayer, Rivet -- no one is going to give the Sabres anything for any of these guys.

RFAs:

Stafford, Weber, Sekera -- each of these players would fetch a good return -- probably a #1 or a #2. However, I don't think the Sabres will or should trade any of them. Each of them is a pretty good player and as an RFA will be back next year at a reasonable contract.

Gerbe -- might fetch a #3 -- with the progress he's shown lately, and his inexpensive cost, there is no reason to trade him.

Players under contract for next season:

Pommer, Hecht -- I'm fine with unloading either or both of them if possible, but I think that no one is going to take these white elephant contracts as each of them is overpaid by $2.5MM or so unless the Sabres take back bad contracts in return. Certainly no one is going to give the Sabres anything good for them.

Gaustad, Vanek -- I think it would be a mistake to trade either of these guys. While each has flaws, each is also a pretty valuable piece. Gaustad is overpaid but only by about $600K or so; Vanek is overpaid but is a 2-time 40-goal scorer and I think will be again from time to time.

Leopold, Morrisson -- I'm fine with unloading either or both of them. I don't see the Sabres getting more than a #2 for Leopold and a #3 for Morrisson. Since their contracts are reasonable, I don't see any urgency to unload them.

So what does this proposed fire sale get us? Not much, really, at the end of the day, except a few #2 and lower picks and perhaps an underperforming prospect or 2 who might have potential -- and a ton of holes to fill.

Dude, you made my point for me.

So:

TC= #2

Monty= #3

I'll go out on a limb and call Rivet a #5 to someone needing depth

Gerbe= #3

Leopold or Morissonn= #3

Those possible draft picks are resources. Valuable resources. Resources that we lose if we don't make a deal next month. Teams LOVE draft picks now. They could be bundled to move up into a top 3 draft position. They could be bundled to trade for an impact player on another team. They could be traded individually for players with different attributes than the ones we currently have. That is my point. If we keep status quo and go into April as is we lose the ability to parlay the UFA's, RFA's, and guys we don't see fitting in the future into something that moves the team forward next year. And we have tons of holes to fill in the offseason as is. Moving these guys should actually make it easier to fill those holes because the team will have more bargaining chips to deal with.

It is shortsighted to let those resources go uncashed when the odds of any kind of playoff success are rather long AND NEXT YEARS' NEEDS LIST IS SO LONG.

Dude, you made my point for me.

So:

TC= #2

Monty= #3

I'll go out on a limb and call Rivet a #5 to someone needing depth

Gerbe= #3

Leopold or Morissonn= #3

Those possible draft picks are resources. Valuable resources. Resources that we lose if we don't make a deal next month. Teams LOVE draft picks now. They could be bundled to move up into a top 3 draft position. They could be bundled to trade for an impact player on another team. They could be traded individually for players with different attributes than the ones we currently have. That is my point. If we keep status quo and go into April as is we lose the ability to parlay the UFA's, RFA's, and guys we don't see fitting in the future into something that moves the team forward next year. And we have tons of holes to fill in the offseason as is. Moving these guys should actually make it easier to fill those holes because the team will have more bargaining chips to deal with.

It is shortsighted to let those resources go uncashed when the odds of any kind of playoff success are rather long AND NEXT YEARS' NEEDS LIST IS SO LONG.

I think we're basically pretty close here. I will be PO'd if they don't trade TC, and I'm fine with them making any of the other trades (and would be happy and surprised if someone took Rivet, Hecht or Pommer). I just don't see the need to force out guys like Gaustad or Leopold, who are decent players at decent contracts, in exchange for modest returns, because I don't think what the Sabres would get back would be more than what they'd be giving up.

I think we're basically pretty close here. I will be PO'd if they don't trade TC, and I'm fine with them making any of the other trades (and would be happy and surprised if someone took Rivet, Hecht or Pommer). I just don't see the need to force out guys like Gaustad or Leopold, who are decent players at decent contracts, in exchange for modest returns, because I don't think what the Sabres would get back would be more than what they'd be giving up.

I could go either way with moving Goose and Leopold, depending on the return. But I don't see any point in turning down an otherwise favorable deal just because the team has a shot at 3 home games in mid April.

The reality is, guys like Goose probably stick around because there isn't a new GM in line to start pointing the new direction for the team. I am sure TP will want the new GM to determine whether guys like Goose, Hecht, and Leopold fit the new plans.

On a well-constructed team, the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. I think this team is 2-3 moves away from being a well-constructed team. After a fire sale, they would be 7-8 moves away.

Cap Space! I want a new GM to have as much cap space going into this off-season as possible.

This team needs far more than 2-3 moves to turn around and become a contender. This team needs 2-3 moves in the top six forwards not to mention the other needs the teams has.

Cap Space! I want a new GM to have as much cap space going into this off-season as possible.

This team needs far more than 2-3 moves to turn around and become a contender. This team needs 2-3 moves in the top six forwards not to mention the other needs the teams has.

I agree 100% with the part I bolded. If we are going to build a team to genuinely compete for the Cup we'll need a #1 C and #1 RW. And if Stafford can't be signed (unlikely) we'll need a #2 RW as well. And that is just in the top 6. Unless Adam improves in the offseason we'll probably want to upgrade our #3 C as well.

And we haven't even started on D or backup goalie yet.

Sounds like you are pissed because they are doing well? :blink: So let me make sure I understand...it's bad when the Sabres lose but it's also bad when they win?

PTR

I'm not pissed because they are winning. I'm pissed that once again they are doing just enough to have the fans step away from the guillotine for a moment, only for them to realise in April that they should have lopped heads....but by then it is too late once again. The same mistakes over and over again. Run Miller into the ground (although this year they have no choice at this point), rely on hope from young guys to progress, stretches of good play only to fall asleep for periods or games or weeks, excuses about injuries even though every other team has the same risk, go half-assed into the deadline, say things need to improve in the offseason then do absolutely nothing about it. A 386 IBM can run this team the past 5 years.

It's all hung up on the ownership change now anyway. Pegula sounds like heads will roll. Trust me....if he comes in and makes changes that value effort, desire, and a championship game in and game out.....I will go bonkers for them every game, sit my ass in those arena seats while guzzling my 60 oz. of Blue, and I might even bitch about a goalie interference call in Ottawa. But until this group-think pack of sloths is cleaned out....I view the Sabres as an infected establishment that needs to be quarantined.

Shake this POS etch-a-sketch as hard as you can and give a guy who really wants to win the tools to get it done as fast as possible. If I want to sit around and daydream about a 50-1 shot coming home....the 9th at Gulfstream goes in 5 minutes and I don't have to wait until April to watch my money get sucked away once again.

I'm not pissed because they are winning. I'm pissed that once again they are doing just enough to have the fans step away from the guillotine for a moment, only for them to realise in April that they should have lopped heads....but by then it is too late once again. The same mistakes over and over again. Run Miller into the ground (although this year they have no choice at this point), rely on hope from young guys to progress, stretches of good play only to fall asleep for periods or games or weeks, excuses about injuries even though every other team has the same risk, go half-assed into the deadline, say things need to improve in the offseason then do absolutely nothing about it. A 386 IBM can run this team the past 5 years.

It's all hung up on the ownership change now anyway. Pegula sounds like heads will roll. Trust me....if he comes in and makes changes that value effort, desire, and a championship game in and game out.....I will go bonkers for them every game, sit my ass in those arena seats while guzzling my 60 oz. of Blue, and I might even bitch about a goalie interference call in Ottawa. But until this group-think pack of sloths is cleaned out....I view the Sabres as an infected establishment that needs to be quarantined.

Shake this POS etch-a-sketch as hard as you can and give a guy who really wants to win the tools to get it done as fast as possible. If I want to sit around and daydream about a 50-1 shot coming home....the 9th at Gulfstream goes in 5 minutes and I don't have to wait until April to watch my money get sucked away once again.

But nobody thinks that everything is hunky-dory. Everyone agrees that at least 2 new top 6 forwards are needed, that Grier and Niedermayer need to move on, that TC should be traded at the deadline, that a new backup goalie is needed, etc. Almost everyone agrees that DR and LR need to go (I'm not there, but I can't really disagree either). I also don't think anyone really thinks the #8 pick in the draft or whatever the Sabres would end up with would be a game-changer for the franchise. Really what this comes down to is whether it would be better to make the playoffs or not, and whether it would be better to dump as many guys as humanly possible and start completely over.

it would be better to dump as many guys as humanly possible and start completely over.

Yes!

Grier and Rivet can fetch you picks. They would make a nice #13 forward and #7 defenseman on a deep team that has IR cap space. Someone would give you a #3 or 4 for the package.

Niedermeyer/worthless

Connolly - Someone would give you something. Probably another team's Gerbe or Butler

Montador - coveted...he's the type of guy worth a #4 who as teams scramble for last second depth, bump that up as high as a #2

McCormick - probably worthless. Maybe you throw him in with a Sekera or Stafford when trying to land a young player already under contract in return

Stafford - Either let him stay and tender him, hoping someone sends him a sheet. Or use him in a package to try and get a vet with something in the tank still that can lead next year.

Sekera - Pretty much the same, although nobody will probably go after him

Weber - Keep and tender

Butler - Worthless or a throw in like McCormick. I wouldn't mind giving him a shot under a new coach next year

Gerbe - Let him play out the year and deal with it next year.

Leopold - An asset that could get you a decent prospect from a team looking to go over the top. I actually think Montador has higher trade value

Morrisson - Might as well keep him. Not much value and only 1 year left

Gaustad - Keep him if a new coach is coming to town

Pominville - Unless you move him with Miller for another #1 goalie and vet...probably stuck

Hecht - Someone might take him since he has only 1 year left. Probably stuck or buy him out

Myers

Ennis

Roy

Kaleta

All here for one reason or another

Vanek - Ruff needs to go. You bring the right chemistry in and he can be the 40 goal guy

Miller - Not enough time for a new owner to make the call. I wouldn't mind an offseason blockbuster but I'm not hot or cold

Again. Not many assets on this team when you look at it. Myers and Ennis are cheap for their status, Roy played well but is damaged goods, Kaleta has value but is damaged. Vanek and Miller are fine but no deal.

Montador, Leopold, Connolly, Rivet, Grier all SHOULD be moved no matter what.

Stafford, Sekera can be used to try and get a difference maker

Why trade sekera or McCormick? Moving leopold/Morrisson is just going to dissuade UFA from trusting in the franchise.

From what I heard about Roy, I'm not sure he's a player you want to build around.

McCormick - UFA. Run of the mill filler on a real team. He stands out here because of all the kittycats

Leopold - Is an asset to a playoff team that needs PP help in back

Morrisson - Doubt anyone is hot for him. I'm fine with him 1 year at 2 mil

Sekera - typical Sabre. Can skate and has some skill, but plays timid when it matters. You need to trade SOMETHING to get something that is more needed, like nads

Roy - You don't build around him, but he is hurt and will do no good for anyone this year. Get a few no-nonsense forwards in here that can lead and Roy is a nice #2 for $4 mil

Why trade sekera or McCormick? Moving leopold/Morrisson is just going to dissuade UFA from trusting in the franchise.

From what I heard about Roy, I'm not sure he's a player you want to build around.

+1 on both points.

McCormick - UFA. Run of the mill filler on a real team. He stands out here because of all the kittycats

Leopold - Is an asset to a playoff team that needs PP help in back

Morrisson - Doubt anyone is hot for him. I'm fine with him 1 year at 2 mil

Sekera - typical Sabre. Can skate and has some skill, but plays timid when it matters. You need to trade SOMETHING to get something that is more needed, like nads

Roy - You don't build around him, but he is hurt and will do no good for anyone this year. Get a few no-nonsense forwards in here that can lead and Roy is a nice #2 for $4 mil

I agree with all of this except Sekera. I think a lot of teams would want him, and I think the Sabres would be crazy to trade him unless it was part of a package for a really good player.

I see in the News today that Darcy is hitting all the talking points. Once again, he makes it sound like his team is not a part of the NHL and he plays no part in shaping the marketplace.

"There may be some movement, but it's too early. We'll get a better indication as we get closer to it," said Regier, who expects a busy month league-wide. "You're going to see what you've seen in other years. You're going to see quite a bit of player movement at the deadline. Who it is or what the price is right now is an unknown. You can read the papers and see some teams are making their decisions right now. Others will wait for the deadline.

"One of the hard parts isn't just finding good players but players that fit. That's the challenge."

Archived