The Official SabreSpace Lindy Ruff thread

Eleven

So Bylsma sucks it's all Crosby?

Exactly. I love the "since Hasek left" argument; it ignores that he was part of the team, and an expensive part of the team, at that. The Sabres could have gone with a $2M goalie and two $3M scorers; they didn't. Maybe if they had, the Sabres would have won Cups back-to-back. Who knows?

So Bylsma sucks it's all Crosby?

It's both. Crosby didn't win without him. Just sayin'.

Exactly. I love the "since Hasek left" argument; it ignores that he was part of the team, and an expensive part of the team, at that. The Sabres could have gone with a $2M goalie and two $3M scorers; they didn't. Maybe if they had, the Sabres would have won Cups back-to-back. Who knows?

Lindy's system only works with that type of goalie (see last year and the Hasek years). When we don't have a goalie like that, we get this year (and '07-'08, '08-'09, '01-'02, '02-'03, '03-'04).

Unlike what most people believe, I don't think that we were only one dirty shinguard away from a Cup in '06. I was critical of Lindy then as well.

It's both. Crosby didn't win without him. Just sayin'.

Lindy's system only works with that type of goalie (see last year and the Hasek years). When we don't have a goalie like that, we get this year (and '07-'08, '08-'09, '01-'02, '02-'03, '03-'04).

Unlike what most people believe, I don't think that we were only one dirty shinguard away from a Cup in '06. I was critical of Lindy then as well.

Finally someone with a realistic view of things - The 'Canes beat us three times in that series with McKee in the lineup, shut us out in one of them, and had game 7 on home ice.

Our scorers were having a load of problems with Cam Ward, and our PP was fading fast too.

McKee would've been nice to have, but that game sure as heck wasn't going to be an automatic win had he played.

And let's not forget - The Oilers would've won the whole thing had they not had that monumental collapse in game 1, in which they led 3-0 or 4-1 or something. I forget which.

The difference in '06 was two things

1) Whe had a fair amount of players with both talent, and grit, that were shuttled out of town the next 2 years....Briere, Drury, Dumont, Grier, McKee, Pyatt

2) Our current "core" were just kids that worked their tail off. Roy on the wing looked like he could be Theo Fleury at his peak....and Pominville was a no-name who could avoid attention burried in the bottom 6.

It comes full circle to a GM that doesn't recognize essential makeup of a talented and character player, and a coach who seemingly has dozens of players regress on him once he gets his paws on him and forces the system to shine.

And to those who think Hasek didn't make Ruff....I have a beautiful mansion I'd like to sell you....on Love Canal.

I can't blame Ruff for having Hasek, but I can blame him for thinking he can work Ryan Miller the same way and expecting to get somewhere. Ruff was blessed with a once in a generation goalie who was the most flexible around and who redefined the way the game was played. Ruff had nothing to do with that....and he fails to understand his system only worked because Dom could show up on gamenight with a .017 BAC and still pitch a 40 save 2-1 victory. If Miller isn't "comfortable", the current system is shot. And I'll tell you one thing.....Miller's body isn't comfortable come April after playing 230 periods of regular season hockey.

I liked Ruff as a player, and I think he has a good heart. He could be a very good coach, but he will never answer that question here. He doesn't seem to me to be a guy who is happy just showing up and taking a paycheck like his boss does. The best thing he could do is take a year off....spend time with the family...enjoy life again....then hook up with a team that isn't stuck in groupthink, and show himself and the hockey world what he can do. Heck, if he loves Buffalo so much, he's got the bank account to just call it a day and go swill wine and eat cheese with Playfair and the boys and give back to the community.

Like a relationship that has gone bad, some people end up staying together out of comfort or fear. But you know it's over by the way you kiss. Lindy hasn't closed his eyes in quite a while.

I contend that Vanek is trying to engineer his way out of Buffalo with his play ala Mogilny. Thing is, he's not nearly as good as Mogilny was. I'm sick of Mr. Grimace.

Vanek's job should be getting open.

Last night he was. He spent a lot of time banging his stick in the slot calling for the puck.

If the team can't put the puck on Vanek's stick....so go Vanek's fortunes. He could have easily had 10 shots last night.

Vanek's job should be getting open.

Last night he was. He spent a lot of time banging his stick in the slot calling for the puck.

If the team can't put the puck on Vanek's stick....so go Vanek's fortunes. He could have easily had 10 shots last night.

Putting Vanek with Connolly absolutely kills Vanek.

I appreciate what Lindy Ruff and Darcy Regier have brought to the table during their 13 year regime. In '99, they fell just short with "no goal" and in '05, they were within a period of a matchup with Edmonton that would have guaranteed a cup. In between there were many more exciting years than bad. I wish them well no matter what happens.

For the millionth time - How is Vanek making 7, Connolly making 4.5, Hecht making 3.5, Goose making 3, Rivet making 3 and Pominville making 5.3 penny-pinching?

Sure they're not spending to the cap, and thank god for that considering how they like throwing perfectly good cash at very average players.

Darcy's had plenty of money to work with, too bad he decided to spend it all on useless players.

:clapping:

For those who want Ruff canned, do you actually think Quinn/Regier will hire a top coach??? Past experience shows that Regier/Quinn pass on top talent, go for the cheap-mediocre, have a presser boasting that they've put the team on the right track, then disappear and leave franchise hanging out to dry. No major free agent signings, passed on signing a quality back-up goalie (see last night's game winner), historically let top talent walk. Why would he bring in a top coach? If anything, he'll make things worse.

As I've said before, replace Darcy and then let that person hire the new coach. Of course, the same problems then comes up in hiring that GM. I would hope that they are smart enough to get input from "hockey people" in making that decision, but I don't have the greatest faith that they would.

Top coaches are way cheaper than top players. I don't think money is the reason why a top coach wouldn't be attracted to Buffalo.

IMO the big reason why you wouldn't see another top coach in Buffalo is because of the management situation here. Too much Larry Quinn control in those hallways for a top notch coach to feel like this would be a good landing spot for them.

Just like when Lindy was hired, you'd probably see an up-and-comer get signed on. That is not a bad thing in my mind.

As I've said before, replace Darcy and then let that person hire the new coach. Of course, the same problems then comes up in hiring that GM. I would hope that they are smart enough to get input from "hockey people" in making that decision, but I don't have the greatest faith that they would.

Absolutely the way it should work and makes too much sense and likely why we will never see it here with Quinny the puppet master behind the scenes.

Top coaches are way cheaper than top players. I don't think money is the reason why a top coach wouldn't be attracted to Buffalo.

IMO the big reason why you wouldn't see another top coach in Buffalo is because of the management situation here. Too much Larry Quinn control in those hallways for a top notch coach to feel like this would be a good landing spot for them.

Just like when Lindy was hired, you'd probably see an up-and-comer get signed on. That is not a bad thing in my mind.

And my second choice for a change however if they did do a house cleaning this also is my first choice for getting a new coach. Who is tearing it up in the AHL currently and has experience sucessfully coaching and relating to players and really able to coach them up? If there is such a guy with potential then thats who I would want..

Did anyone else catch Rob Ray's slam on Darcy last night? I don't remember what team Harry was talking about, but there was a pause, then Rob said, "the fastest way to rebuild is through free agency." To me it seemed like a comment aimed directly at Darcy.

Did anyone else catch Rob Ray's slam on Darcy last night? I don't remember what team Harry was talking about, but there was a pause, then Rob said, "the fastest way to rebuild is through free agency." To me it seemed like a comment aimed directly at Darcy.

Yeah I caught that. RJ quickly jumped in with "If you have the money to do it."

I think Ray does have some opinions on the way this team is run and I would love to hear more than just a little one liner every now and then.

Archived