The Official SabreSpace Lindy Ruff thread

Eleven

I get the sense with Vanek that he is passionate about hockey but he's a bit of a head case and doesn't know how to channel that passion in tough times--- his focus isn't quite there, and although he can be a leader by example he more or less needs a stronger personality both in the lockerroom and on the ice for him to "lean on." It's not all that encouraging that a supposed superstar needs a linemate to prop him up, but that is often a consideration when building proper team chemistry.

Vanek reminds me of Pierre Turgeon in that way. He needs a leader on the team with him. IMO it is too much to ask him to be a leader. His psyche is too frail for that.

I contend that Vanek is trying to engineer his way out of Buffalo with his play ala Mogilny. Thing is, he's not nearly as good as Mogilny was. I'm sick of Mr. Grimace.

I'm not sure there's even a shred of evidence to support this exceptionally wild theory.

Vanek reminds me of Pierre Turgeon in that way. He needs a leader on the team with him. IMO it is too much to ask him to be a leader. His psyche is too frail for that.

He is a very good player, but not good enough to come close to carrying a team. Gees, if he was on Chicago, he would be a great addition to their second line, and would make them way better, but that's because he wouldn't have much pressure on him to be the man

This is Dom Hasek all over again. Miller's talent and potential is getting spent on a team full of pretenders and eventually his competitive spirit will get the better of him, he'll force Mgt's hand, and we'll lose him for a bag of pucks. It's like the directions on a bottle of shampoo. Lather, rinse, repeat.

2 totally different situations. With Hasek, everyone was on the same page. The fans and management both knew the team sucked. We all knew Hasek was the real talent. There were no moves made because there was no money to.

With Miller, management thinks they have a winner. The fans see this team bottoming out. There are no moves made because our GM is completely inept and hog-tied by a bunch of penny-pinchers.

you could be right but watching him go through that act of his is absolutely maddening.

He needs someone to smack him in the mouth to get his attention. I think he'd follow a strong leader, anywhere--- there just aren't any on this roster. I don't think he wants out of Buffalo--- but if he does, I wish to god that he would've told Darcy Quinn to not match the Edmonton offer.

2 totally different situations. With Hasek, everyone was on the same page. The fans and management both knew the team sucked. We all knew Hasek was the real talent. There were no moves made because there was no money to.

With Miller, management thinks they have a winner. The fans see this team bottoming out. There are no moves made because our GM is completely inept and hog-tied by a bunch of penny-pinchers.

Do you believe that management thinks they have a winner? I don't. I think they know better than we do that the team is junk. They have been feeding us a line of crap the last 4 years and they know it. My opinion of course.

Even if they were different scenarios the end result is the same. And any player with an uber-competitive streak will get fed up and leave regardless of the "why" involved.

For every person that says Ruff is done here and needs to be dumped, I want a credible suggestion as to who should replace him.

It's really easy to boot someone off the island, but we do need to replace him too. This team doesn't necessarily give anyone the impression that they are self-taught and self-motivated.

For every person that says Ruff is done here and needs to be dumped, I want a credible suggestion as to who should replace him.

It's really easy to boot someone off the island, but we do need to replace him too. This team doesn't necessarily give anyone the impression that they are self-taught and self-motivated.

That's where this discussion always gets hung up. You're right: it's easy to fire, but it's tough to hire.

That's where this discussion always gets hung up. You're right: it's easy to fire, but it's tough to hire.

This is a question for PASabre.. who would you like to replace Ruff with? You've been on the Fire Ruff soapbox for a while, i'm assuming you have some thoughts on this already?

This is a question for PASabre.. who would you like to replace Ruff with? You've been on the Fire Ruff soapbox for a while, i'm assuming you have some thoughts on this already?

None.

The idea that no one is out there who can replace Ruff is ridiculous.

Don't avoid the question.

Who do you want to be the next coach of the Sabres after Ruff?

I'm not avoiding it. I don't really care who it is.

I've said I have no problem with promoting Dineen.

I guess I'd prefer younger -- someone from the next generation of hockey coaches. Smart. Forward thinking. Innovative. It's 2010. Maybe someone who wasn't playing in the NHL in the Carter years. Or someone who didn't play at all.

Are you serious? You don't think there's anyone who can replace Ruff?

I'm not avoiding it. I don't really care who it is.

I've said I have no problem with promoting Dineen.

I guess I'd prefer younger -- someone from the next generation of hockey coaches. Smart. Forward thinking. Innovative. It's 2010. Maybe someone who wasn't playing in the NHL in the Carter years. Or someone who didn't play at all.

Are you serious? You don't think there's anyone who can replace Ruff?

So Hitchcock is out?

So Hitchcock is out?

Indeed. So I guess I do care who it is.

Of course, Eleven and others are right. The ideal situation is not LQ picking a new coach through DR, or even DR picking one on his own. The ideal situation is new ownership. But I also think LQ and DR could make a good choice. Or LQ could fire DR and a new GM could make a good choice.

For the millionth time - How is Vanek making 7, Connolly making 4.5, Hecht making 3.5, Goose making 3, Rivet making 3 and Pominville making 5.3 penny-pinching?

Sure they're not spending to the cap, and thank god for that considering how they like throwing perfectly good cash at very average players.

Darcy's had plenty of money to work with, too bad he decided to spend it all on useless players.

For the millionth time - How is Vanek making 7, Connolly making 4.5, Hecht making 3.5, Goose making 3, Rivet making 3 and Pominville making 5.3 penny-pinching?

Sure they're not spending to the cap, and thank god for that considering how they like throwing perfectly good cash at very average players.

Darcy's had plenty of money to work with, too bad he decided to spend it all on useless players.

That last sentence gets a +1 from me.

Archived