The Official SabreSpace Lindy Ruff thread

Eleven

As much as I've complained about Lindy and his precious system in the past, I find it rather ironic that I have to say that, right now, the problem with this team is that they aren't playing his system very well, if at all. As Roby would say, "They're skatin' like a hound's breakfast." Whether it's because they are not good enough or Lindy has lost them, I don't know, but I'm willing to wait another 10 games to decide (62 games left is still plenty enough to turn things around and make the playoffs).

Barring a trip to the Stanley Cup Finals, this season should be his last. Don't forget that Pittsburgh went to the SCFs then fired their coach mid season and won it the next year. It can be done.

What continues to be unreported and rarely discussed is the status of the contract extension for Ruff.

Have the players heard something? They're not playing so much like a team trying to get its coach fired as a team that knows its coach isn't going to be there next season.

What continues to be unreported and rarely discussed is the status of the contract extension for Ruff.

Have the players heard something? They're not playing so much like a team trying to get its coach fired as a team that knows its coach isn't going to be there next season.

Good call.

I have always been a big fan of Lindy Ruff, and it is certainly not all his fault, but watching the team thus far it is pretty clear to me that they have just tuned him out. He can no longer ring best effort out of this group on a consistent basis. This is a group which is largely uninspired and unemotional. Just look at the bench on any given night. Some of his decisions and line combinations are just bizarre and reek of desperation. As much as some people would like to see a major roster makeover, that certainly is not happening. Unfortunately, it is time to say goodbye if the Sabres want to salvage the season. There is still time, but barely.

I say bring Dineen up from Portland now and let him drive some new life into this roster. Without Lindy's traditonal favorites and biases, I think you would see some dramatically more inspired play and a new look.

I have always been a big fan of Lindy Ruff, and it is certainly not all his fault, but watching the team thus far it is pretty clear to me that they have just tuned him out. He can no longer ring best effort out of this group on a consistent basis. This is a group which is largely uninspired and unemotional. Just look at the bench on any given night. Some of his decisions and line combinations are just bizarre and reek of desperation. As much as some people would like to see a major roster makeover, that certainly is not happening. Unfortunately, it is time to say goodbye if the Sabres want to salvage the season. There is still time, but barely.

I say bring Dineen up from Portland now and let him drive some new life into this roster. Without Lindy's traditonal favorites and biases, I think you would see some dramatically more inspired play and a new look.

I agree with the Dineen statement. He can be a real harda$$ and this team needs some toughlove right now but I also think that based on the record so far and the way they have gone about compiling that record we need to make a trade. One or two of these deadbeats needs to find another home and we need to bring in some leadership.

Thanks for doing this. I will start the ball rolling. I see people who post a lot saying that Lindy sucks, so that makes me think maybe he does suck. But then I watch the sabres, a team with a lot of sucky players, win a lot of games. I see some of those sucky players leave the sabres, and they tend not to do as well as they did when Ruff coached them. I see Ruff get picked as an assistant coach for the Canadian Olympic team, and I think that those guys know a little something about hockey. I see other teams change their coaches and players like I change my underwear, and for the same reasons. They yell a lot, and have fancy hair and ugly ties, but they don't seem to do a better job than Lindy does.

I look around, and I don't see any coaches available who seem to be a better option than Ruff. Brian Engblom? Ted Nolan? The usual ferris wheeel of NHL has beens? No thanks.

I think we need to change up our core (TC, Pommers and Staff) but leave Lindy behind the bench. I like Lindy. The players are stale, but the message still rings true.

Edit: Oh, and we need to immediately upgrade 3 of our defensemen. Lindy doesn't suck, but DR could suck a softball through the proverbial garden hose.

Post Edit: We also need a new power play coach who knows something about the power play.

This is an excellent post. The problem is that with all the "effort" that DR put in to assembling this roster, it would be much easier to hang the coach out to dry. That's why when I hear statements from DR like:

"We're not talking about bad people," he said. "We're actually talking about good people who, if we talk about focus, we talk about energy level and things like that, then it's well within their capabilities. It's a matter of doing it. That's where the first focus has to come in, and hopefully we get it done that way."

It actually sounds like a veiled set-up to blame Lindy for their current woes, considering that we usually equate a lack of motivation with coaching. If this group continues to under perform, the FO may use that as a pretext to fire Lindy.

Is it Lindy's fault that TC gets squeezed off the puck every time he carries it into the offensive zone? Or that the team looked like traffic cones as Byfuglien skated in for the game winner last night? If I remember correctly, the problems with the play of this team were very apparent at the end of last season and nothing was done in the off season to seriously address the issues. This is not Ruff's problem.

Knowing this front office, they'll probably just promote Brian McCutcheon and tell us that all the pieces are now in place.

If Lindy isn't fired, I predict he moves on at the end of this season. There are teams out there that are actually interested in winning and will at least try to get him decent players to work with. He'll win a cup somewhere before he retires while we'll be debating the imminent firing of McCutcheon or Patrick and evaluating new jersey designs.

I agree it may be time for Linde to move. As someone said it will probably help to expose Regier to ownership as the buffoon he really is. I like Linde, but you can only do what you can with supbar talent. Letting Tallinder go was a mistake. Not letting Stafford and Connolly go has been a bigger one and the slow footed Morrison acquisition hasn't worked either. Maybe Dineen's intensity can light a fire under these boys or he can bench a few for extended periods of time a la Connolly and Stafford.

The only good thing I can see coming out of this year is that Stafford will be gone. The team does have talent. But chemistry and comraderee is underestimated and losing the stuff that both Hank and Toni brought last year went a long way and Rivet needs half a year off. Bring up Weber and dump Morrison.

I also think Pommers leadership work ethic is missed. Who is a leader on this team Connolly???? Someone else needs to step up and it can't be Miller right now, its gotta be someone on the offense, but why bother when the front office shows only misplace loyalties to its players, letting the high character guys go and keeping the characters.

So it appears the lethargy of Regier chosen inmates have finally overrun Ruff's pleading and tough love... surprise surprise.

Right after the game last night, I was watching Ruff on the bench. There was a quick shot of him slamming his papers to the floor and then they cut away. He's had it.

I don't think Toe Blake could coach these bums. They're a bunch of sissies and headcases and losers. The high priced players with the long contracts like Vanek leading the pack. Darcy Regier is to blame. Sure he's been hamstrung by Golisano and Quinn and what we truly need is an owner with deep pockets and a passion for hockey, but this is his party. I bet I can beat the crap out of Regier and that's a problem. He doesn't scare me in a dark alley and neither does his team.

To me, you have to pick players with Talent AND Character. Players, as John Muckler said, who typify the character of the city of Buffalo. Hardworking blue collar, rough and tumble, meat and potatoes. Buffalo has always had talent but they've always had problems picking players with character. Maybe the management doesn't understand character. It doesn't jump out at you.

The examples go on and on. Buffalo's been terribly mis-managed by an amateur front office.

Right after the game last night, I was watching Ruff on the bench. There was a quick shot of him slamming his papers to the floor and then they cut away. He's had it.

I don't think Toe Blake could coach these bums. They're a bunch of sissies and headcases and losers. The high priced players like Vanek leading the pack. Darcy Regier is to blame. Sure he's been hamstrung by Golisano and Quinn and what we truly need is an owner with deep pockets and a passion for hockey, but this is his party. I bet I can beat the crap out of Regier and that's a problem. He doesn't scare me in a dark alley and neither does his team.

To me, you have to pick players with Talent AND Character. Players, as John Muckler said, who typify the character of the city of Buffalo. Hardworking blue collar, rough and tumble, meat and potatoes. Buffalo has always had talent but they've always had problems picking players with character. Maybe the management doesn't understand character. It doesn't jump out at you.

The examples go on and on. Buffalo's been terribly mis-managed by an amateur front office.

I agree, and I disagree at the same time, but only because I think you're contradicting yourself.

Yes, Regier is to blame for dishing out moronic contracts to average players, no argument there. But if TG pours more money into this roster, all it'll mean is that Connolly will be resigned at 5.5 mill a year instead of 4.5.

IMHO, TG spends enouh cash on the roster, it's just that Regier chose to spend it all on a bunch of complete losers, leaving no room for improvement through FA signings or trades.

Darcy flat out HAS to go. I used to tell myself he had to know so many things so much better than the fans, simply because his actions HAD to be due to knowledge we simply didn't have access to. I mean, nobody could be this moronic and still keep a job, right?

Well, guess what - Yes they can :wallbash:

I agree, and I disagree at the same time, but only because I think you're contradicting yourself.

Yes, Regier is to blame for dishing out moronic contracts to average players, no argument there. But if TG pours more money into this roster, all it'll mean is that Connolly will be resigned at 5.5 mill a year instead of 4.5.

You're right. I gave Regier a bit of an out because of LQ's meddling but aside from a handful of moves over his tenure -- even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes -- the management is incompetent and there's no leadership from up top. Problem is even when Regier leaves, Quinn stays.

I don't think Toe Blake could coach these bums. They're a bunch of sissies and headcases and losers. The high priced players with the long contracts like Vanek leading the pack. Darcy Regier is to blame. Sure he's been hamstrung by Golisano and Quinn and what we truly need is an owner with deep pockets and a passion for hockey, but this is his party. I bet I can beat the crap out of Regier and that's a problem. He doesn't scare me in a dark alley and neither does his team.

The four of them work as a team. Lindy has said it numerous times. He's in on the personnel meetings and decisions. Lindy's hands are all over this roster. The four of them need to disappear.

The four of them work as a team. Lindy has said it numerous times. He's in on the personnel meetings and decisions. Lindy's hands are all over this roster. The four of them need to disappear.

The whole organization needs a good flushing, but I'm not sure Galisano cares enough to lift a finger. Basically, it seems, the Lindy Junta has free reign to play hockey God in Buffalo. They have the organization, the broadcast team and players all locked up.

I mean, where the hell is Galisano anyway? Can we start a facebook campaign to get him to do something? Where are the billboards calling for change like they had with the Bills? I'm am very thankful to Tommy G for saving the team, but can't he at least care enough to find some new and good hockey people to come in and take over?

The whole organization needs a good flushing, but I'm not sure Galisano cares enough to lift a finger. Basically, it seems, the Lindy Junta has free reign to play hockey God in Buffalo. They have the organization, the broadcast team and players all locked up.

I mean, where the hell is Galisano anyway? Can we start a facebook campaign to get him to do something? Where are the billboards calling for change like they had with the Bills? I'm am very thankful to Tommy G for saving the team, but can't he at least care enough to find some new and good hockey people to come in and take over?

I'm with you on this one. Its time for the owner to jettison this management team and that includes that galisano lapboy Quinn, But therein lies the problem. The owner leaves the state to escape the taxation and he leaves a non hockey person in charge. Well we all know that $hit runs downhill and this entire organization stinks from top to bottom right now. Exactly who is in charge? Does he answer to anybody? Does the owner care? These are all questions the fans should be demanding answers to. How do we start a letter writing campaign to the owner or the organization? Anyone have an e-mail addy we could flood with our concerns?

In the preseason Brad May was on one of the sports channels up here as a guest and he predicted Lindy Ruff would be the first coach canned this year. I figure its either him or the new guy in Jersey but could anyone other than that sage of hockey wisdom Brad May have picked Lindy as the first to go? I mean some of us figured based on Regiers ineptitude as a G.M. that the team was in for a bit of a drop in the standings but most of us had the usual preseason giddyness or positive outlook that being a lifelong fan has on a person along with overestimating the value of some of the pieces. Well now its starting to appear as if old Brad May was spot on. This team is headed in the wrong direction.

In the preseason Brad May was on one of the sports channels up here as a guest and he predicted Lindy Ruff would be the first coach canned this year. I figure its either him or the new guy in Jersey but could anyone other than that sage of hockey wisdom Brad May have picked Lindy as the first to go? I mean some of us figured based on Regiers ineptitude as a G.M. that the team was in for a bit of a drop in the standings but most of us had the usual preseason giddyness or positive outlook that being a lifelong fan has on a person along with overestimating the value of some of the pieces. Well now its starting to appear as if old Brad May was spot on. This team is headed in the wrong direction.

I was going to bring up May's comment. It seemed so bizarre and over the top at the time. Now what makes sense is that May had heard some things, probably from current players.

During the 15 minute interview with the Howard Simon Show, Ruff said that he always is in touch with General Manager Darcy Regier about the makeup of his team and does not believe the team needs to make a roster decision with Morrisonn and Pominville returning to the lineup on Wednesday night and said "our best players have to make a difference."

How many times in the past have we heard this? How many more times are we going to have to hear it before they realize that our best players might just not be good enough?

linkaliscious

During the 15 minute interview with the Howard Simon Show, Ruff said that he always is in touch with General Manager Darcy Regier about the makeup of his team and does not believe the team needs to make a roster decision with Morrisonn and Pominville returning to the lineup on Wednesday night and said "our best players have to make a difference."

How many times in the past have we heard this? How many more times are we going to have to hear it before they realize that our best players might just not be good enough?

linkaliscious

Therin lies the problem, coaching staff and management don't realize their best players really aren't that great and aren't capable of making a difference.

My theory is Vanek should be our best player and he is good enough but he isn't trying hard enough; he only wants to look like he's trying hard enough. I never saw anyone miss so many close-in chances or get as many goals called back for deflecting the puck with a high stick in my life. (that last move is so pick-up league) The man isn't putting out for the Sabres; he might put out for the Rangers or other high-profile team but IMO he's done with the Sabres. It's just that the Sabres need him more than he needs them.

From a fan's perspective it feels pretty hopeless right now. I can't see Ruff going anywhere as long as Regier is GM, and Regier has a job indefinitely as long as Quinn is the big cheese. And Quinn isn't going anywhere as long as Golisano continues to be an absentee owner.

This is Dom Hasek all over again. Miller's talent and potential is getting spent on a team full of pretenders and eventually his competitive spirit will get the better of him, he'll force Mgt's hand, and we'll lose him for a bag of pucks. It's like the directions on a bottle of shampoo. Lather, rinse, repeat.

I hope I'm wrong. I hope Darcy gets moved along. I hope Quinn stays out of hockey decisions. I hope Lindy goes back to being the coach that took a bunch of nobodies to within a game of the Stanley Cup Finals. But I also hope for world peace and a cure for cancer. My level of optimism for all of those is about the same.

My theory is Vanek should be our best player and he is good enough but he isn't trying hard enough; he only wants to look like he's trying hard enough. I never saw anyone miss so many close-in chances or get as many goals called back for deflecting the puck with a high stick in my life. (that last move is so pick-up league) The man isn't putting out for the Sabres; he might put out for the Rangers or other high-profile team but IMO he's done with the Sabres. It's just that the Sabres need him more than he needs them.

I get the sense with Vanek that he is passionate about hockey but he's a bit of a head case and doesn't know how to channel that passion in tough times--- his focus isn't quite there, and although he can be a leader by example he more or less needs a stronger personality both in the lockerroom and on the ice for him to "lean on." It's not all that encouraging that a supposed superstar needs a linemate to prop him up, but that is often a consideration when building proper team chemistry.

Of the so called "core" of Roy, Connolly, Stafford, Pominville, and Vanek I would only be interested in keeping the last two, although Pominville isn't as valuable if the rest of the roster is populated by "smurfs." As much as Roy contributes both offensively and defensively, I think he's way too casual, and his attitude is emblematic of the greater problems that are miring the entire organization in mediocrity. He was terrific back in 2005-06, when he was on a wing with Drury and Grier or centering the 3rd line. As a team leader and 1st line center, he's extraordinarily lacking.

Archived