The Official SabreSpace Lindy Ruff thread

Eleven

Yeah I caught that. RJ quickly jumped in with "If you have the money to do it."

I think Ray does have some opinions on the way this team is run and I would love to hear more than just a little one liner every now and then.

Yeah I caught that too and RJ really lost major points there. Oh well, let him defend Darcy. It's he who has to retire with his team in the basement, not us.

Yeah I caught that too and RJ really lost major points there. Oh well, let him defend Darcy. It's he who has to retire with his team in the basement, not us.

I don't think he was defending Darcy so much as finishing Ray's thought. Yes, free agency is a great way to change a team, but when all your spare money is wrapped up in crap players you really can't be a player in the FA market. Basically, it's not as simple as Ray made it sound.

I don't think he was defending Darcy so much as finishing Ray's thought. Yes, free agency is a great way to change a team, but when all your spare money is wrapped up in crap players you really can't be a player in the FA market. Basically, it's not as simple as Ray made it sound.

Good thing the Sabres have room in their budget. Darcy has room to wheel and deal at the deadline, then go to town on July 1. Hello? Is this thing on? OnStar?

I would urge everyone to hunt down Lindy's little presser today.

Lindy actually sounded alive. Maybe it's the win, or his 1,000th game coming up, or knowing he won't be back next season, but he opened up quite a bit, for him.

When asked how he managed to coach almost 1,000 games, he flat out admitted he's been lucky. He attributed that longevity to the support he's had from Darcy. Funny moment -- he said he thought he might get fired in December 1997, only a few months into his tenure. When did he feel safe? Standing on the bench after beating the Flyers in the first round the next spring.

"Expect the unexpected" has been the lesson he's taken from his long career. He said he's seen things this season he never would have believed. Paul Hamilton followed up and asked for a specific example. Lindy talked about Tampa defensive system of both of their defense converging in one corner and a weak side forward covering the front of the net.

I still can't believe the media would have Lindy standing there, in a talking mood, and not ask him what his contract status is.

It appears to me that Lindy has silently stood by over the last three years and watched his good friend Darcy make outlandish decisions.Goodbye power play, goodbye penalty kill,goodbye shutdown d pairing, goodbye impact center. The team sheds its contention players like water off a ducks back and then replaces them with old, average, or not yet ready for prime time players, then blames everybody left for not performing. I am sorry but a team without a shutdown pair of defensemen and a number one line of Roy, Pom and whomever is not a playoff team. Especially when the pk is marginal at best and the power play nonexistent. (two years now without the semblance of a pp) . It is not the players fault. After the last three years the players left must be shell shocked. I can understand why they may be a little unmotivated or "lack passion" . They are probably all thinking about life after death (Sabres). Take the time to look at what they have done personnel wise in the last three years. Look at the roster three years ago then the critical stats, make a list of who Darcy brought in to replace Briere, Chris, Spacek, Tallinder, Ludman, etc. Mostly the old, infirm, or not ready for prime time with a youth exception here and there. IT WAS NOT THE PLAYERS that gutted this team. They got rid of Tallinder and or Ludeman to get Neidermeyer??? Old to older? To keep, promote or acquire Rivet?? Montodor???Leopold???. They got rid of Spacek, a critical part of the defense and the pp, for???? It fits perfectly into their scheme for mediocrity. Had they made room to keep two or three of those guys and then added some youth? Firing Lindy means nothing unless Darcy goes with him.

It appears to me that Lindy has silently stood by over the last three years and watched his good friend Darcy make outlandish decisions.Goodbye power play, goodbye penalty kill,goodbye shutdown d pairing, goodbye impact center. The team sheds its contention players like water off a ducks back and then replaces them with old, average, or not yet ready for prime time players, then blames everybody left for not performing. I am sorry but a team without a shutdown pair of defensemen and a number one line of Roy, Pom and whomever is not a playoff team. Especially when the pk is marginal at best and the power play nonexistent. (two years now without the semblance of a pp) . It is not the players fault. After the last three years the players left must be shell shocked. I can understand why they may be a little unmotivated or "lack passion" . They are probably all thinking about life after death (Sabres). Take the time to look at what they have done personnel wise in the last three years. Look at the roster three years ago then the critical stats, make a list of who Darcy brought in to replace Briere, Chris, Spacek, Tallinder, Ludman, etc. Mostly the old, infirm, or not ready for prime time with a youth exception here and there. IT WAS NOT THE PLAYERS that gutted this team. They got rid of Tallinder and or Ludeman to get Neidermeyer??? Old to older? To keep, promote or acquire Rivet?? Montodor???Leopold???. They got rid of Spacek, a critical part of the defense and the pp, for???? It fits perfectly into their scheme for mediocrity. Had they made room to keep two or three of those guys and then added some youth? Firing Lindy means nothing unless Darcy goes with him.

Where are you?

Great point

I don't blame the players anymore. When it comes to player movement, Darcy is so awestruck by "the market", that he is like the guy who walks into a nudie bar and blushes putting $1 in a girl's G-string, thinking he has done something....meanwhile the real GM's are in the VIP room getting knobbed on by Destiny, and snorting blow off of Cinnamon's D-cups.

You have to pay to play. Every now and then you may need a 10 day supply of antibiotics, but it's better than Darcy developing the girl from church and waiting 'til the wedding night for some half-assed missionary. But hey, she cooks a mean banana-bread, right?

Great point

I don't blame the players anymore. When it comes to player movement, Darcy is so awestruck by "the market", that he is like the guy who walks into a nudie bar and blushes putting $1 in a girl's G-string, thinking he has done something....meanwhile the real GM's are in the VIP room getting knobbed on by Destiny, and snorting blow off of Cinnamon's D-cups.

You have to pay to play. Every now and then you may need a 10 day supply of antibiotics, but it's better than Darcy developing the girl from church and waiting 'til the wedding night for some half-assed missionary. But hey, she cooks a mean banana-bread, right?

I'm not sure that the the kind of nudie bar you are referring to is Darcy's favorite flavor. He might be more interested in something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdbt-sx5MDc

The only loop at my uncle's house is on his rollercoaster. And he has a cotton candy machine. I love cotton candy, but my hands are always sticky when I leave there.

Is there a picture in the bathroom with eyes that always seem to follow you, like in the scooby doo cartoons?

Is there also a strange looking lotion dispenser immediately below the picture?

Is there a picture in the bathroom with eyes that always seem to follow you, like in the scooby doo cartoons?

Is there also a strange looking lotion dispenser immediately below the picture?

No.....but the toilet paper roll is at a 45 degree angle and it doesn't seem to be bolted to the wall come to think of it.

Lindy actually sounded alive. Maybe it's the win, or his 1,000th game coming up, or knowing he won't be back next season, but he opened up quite a bit, for him.

Holy baseless assumptions, batman!

Again: pretending your theories are facts doesn't actually make them facts.

Holy baseless assumptions, batman!

Again: pretending your theories are facts doesn't actually make them facts.

Don't you think the word "maybe" made it clear what followed were theories?

The only facts here are Larry saying he wanted to re-sign Lindy over the summer, Lindy saying over the summer he didn't want to worry about a contract, he wanted to chillax, and no extension to date.

It's the elephant in the room.

Don't you think the word "maybe" made it clear what followed were theories?

The only facts here are Larry saying he wanted to re-sign Lindy over the summer, Lindy saying over the summer he didn't want to worry about a contract, he wanted to chillax, and no extension to date.

It's the elephant in the room.

I don't think the word "maybe" had that effect. Out of the 3 items you mentioned, 2 are facts (the win and the 1000th game), not theories -- so "maybe" is, IMHO, better read as "it's not clear which of these 3 facts caused him to open up."

Maybe it's the win, or his 1,000th game coming up, or knowing he won't be back next season, but he opened up quite a bit, for him.

Having said that, I am as curious as you are about Lindy's contract status.

I don't think the word "maybe" had that effect. Out of the 3 items you mentioned, 2 are facts (the win and the 1000th game), not theories -- so "maybe" is, IMHO, better read as "it's not clear which of these 3 facts caused him to open up."

Having said that, I am as curious as you are about Lindy's contract status.

But,.. maybe he does know he's not coming back.

AP's John Wawrow has a story on Lindy's 1000th game.

"Ruff has endured three ownership changes..."

That seems a bit dramatic. Ruff inherited a division championship team (that won a series, ahem), and the next two years until Rigas officially took over ownership hardly seemed like something the head coach had to "endure." It was just paperwork.

Not sure how Wawrow gets to three changes. Is he counting Rigas to the NHL and the NHL to Golisano as two changes?

AP's John Wawrow has a story on Lindy's 1000th game.

"Ruff has endured three ownership changes..."

That seems a bit dramatic. Ruff inherited a division championship team (that won a series, ahem), and the next two years until Rigas officially took over ownership hardly seemed like something the head coach had to "endure." It was just paperwork.

Not sure how Wawrow gets to three changes. Is he counting Rigas to the NHL and the NHL to Golisano as two changes?

Good to see Quinn's credit card is on automatic payment for that case of Jameson's to be delivered every month.

Good to see Quinn's credit card is on automatic payment for that case of Jameson's to be delivered every month.

I heard it was Candian Club.

But yea. Not to ruffle any feathers. I don't wanna go all Nfreeman by chasing off oldwhatshisname but sports writing in general is a dying profession. We even have our own resident sports writer, or did you guys chase that kid off? :unsure:

I heard it was Candian Club.

But yea. Not to ruffle any feathers. I don't wanna go all Nfreeman by chasing off oldwhatshisname but sports writing in general is a dying profession. We even have our own resident sports writer, or did you guys chase that kid off? :unsure:

I just found it interesting that when Sugarpackets and Quinn were locked in the bomb bunker for 18 months, Wawrow was the only one who had contact and would trot out a fluffer every 6-8 weeks.

Still my favorite quote is when on June 30th, he has Quinn threatening Briere and Drury..."Do you want to leave or do you want to be on a winner?"

I will say though, JW is good at his craft and showed spunk in dealing with a message board, unlike Opie Graham who looked to be just chasing hits to his blog.

I just found it interesting that when Sugarpackets and Quinn were locked in the bomb bunker for 18 months, Wawrow was the only one who had contact and would trot out a fluffer every 6-8 weeks.

Still my favorite quote is when on June 30th, he has Quinn threatening Briere and Drury..."Do you want to leave or do you want to be on a winner?"

I will say though, JW is good at his craft and showed spunk in dealing with a message board, unlike Opie Graham who looked to be just chasing hits to his blog.

Wondering how old Larry's doing with that? Probably still trying to clear his windpipe since DB and CD rammed those words right back down his throat :clapping:

Archived