The Official SabreSpace Lindy Ruff thread

Eleven

I was naming a guy that coached the Ramparts to a Memorial cup and was offered the Ave's job.

There are names out there,.. if you look.

Not kidding...I really didn't know why the name "Patrick Roy" was just sitting there in the middle of a thread.

I don't think he would make a bad head coach.

Not kidding...I really didn't know why the name "Patrick Roy" was just sitting there in the middle of a thread.

Whenever this topic comes up, someone is always demanding that PA come up with a name to replace Ruff (like it's PA's job and not Darcy's). I was just showing that without much effort, you can come up with some names.

He's part owner of the Remparts though. I think he'd want to stay there.

Why not Pat LaFontaine? Or Mike Peca?

Don't avoid the question.

Who do you want to be the next coach of the Sabres after Ruff?

Don't be dumb. All teams that fire their coach do so knowing that they are taking a risk. Sometimes, it pays off, sometimes it doesn't. Tough titty. The fact that you can't GUARANTEE a positive outcome by no means should persuade a GM or owner to hold tight, if what they're holding tight to has already proven to not be a winner. Anyone who thinks otherwise is still suckling off their mama's teat, or ordering their food online and tipping the delivery man thru a slot in the door.

Don't be dumb. All teams that fire their coach do so knowing that they are taking a risk. Sometimes, it pays off, sometimes it doesn't. Tough titty. The fact that you can't GUARANTEE a positive outcome by no means should persuade a GM or owner to hold tight, if what they're holding tight to has already proven to not be a winner. Anyone who thinks otherwise is still suckling off their mama's teat, or ordering their food online and tipping the delivery man thru a slot in the door.

I wouldn't sum Lindy career up like that. There are plenty of coaches that haven't gone all the way to winning Lord Stanley.

Hey, if you view never having won the championship as success, then we obviously have nothing to talk about. Si o no?

Sure, winning the cup is the ultimate goal for a coach and would certainly be a success. It's also a partial success to go to a few Conference finals and play in a Stanley Cup final, no creo que?

I'm with Chimp on this one. Sometimes you gotta break a few eggs to make an omelet.

Even all-time great coaches get canned. Scotty Bowman is a terrific example there. Sometimes the coach's message doesn't match the players on the roster. Or matches managements' goals.

There are always coaches available. The AHL is filled with coaches that are upwardly mobile and deserve a chance. And guys like Hitchcock are usually hanging around as well. The beauty of coaches taking the fall instead of players is that it means there are almost always experienced, capable coaches looking for NHL work. WIll any of them prove to be more suitable than Lindy for the current group of players? Who knows? Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

As for hiring a former Sabre as head coach..... Nah. The only one with coaching experience that I can think of is Craig Ramsey. And he's already got a job. LaFontaine, Peca, or Razor as coaches? You are kidding me, right? We're talking about hiring a guy who's never coached at an elite level at all? Seriously?

For what it is worth, Vaive has minor league coaching, is an ex-Sabre, and knew how to play on the PP. Don't kknow where he is at the moment, but he couldn't be much worse than 3-7-2. Could be that Lindy doesn't know how to relate with forwards who are meant to be "goal scorers. Maybe having one around (and there are plenty other than Vaive) for them to talk with would help. (I have no problem with Patrick being there for defensemen, etc...)

For what it is worth, Vaive has minor league coaching, is an ex-Sabre, and knew how to play on the PP. Don't kknow where he is at the moment, but he couldn't be much worse than 3-7-2. Could be that Lindy doesn't know how to relate with forwards who are meant to be "goal scorers. Maybe having one around (and there are plenty other than Vaive) for them to talk with would help. (I have no problem with Patrick being there for defensemen, etc...)

Funny you mention the Lindy relating to goal scorers thing. This powerplay and offense in general when to Hades not long after Scott Arniel flew the coup. You might be on to something.

As for Vaive, according to Wiki;

Vaive currently hosts various shows on Leafs TV, an MLSE-run property focusing on the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Don't avoid the question.

Who do you want to be the next coach of the Sabres after Ruff?

hey wise guy.. no call for that. i was asking PA who he thought we should replace Ruff with, lest whoever comes next doesn't meet with his seal of approval. i said nothing about guarantees. i don't watch enough non-Sabres hockey to know who the good coaches are out there who are available.

hey wise guy.. no call for that. i was asking PA who he thought we should replace Ruff with, lest whoever comes next doesn't meet with his seal of approval. i said nothing about guarantees. i don't watch enough non-Sabres hockey to know who the good coaches are out there who are available.

Apologies. I was mistaken that you had an agenda. My bad.

Perfect world...

Fire Darcy and Lindy, and bring in Doug MacLean. He is GM and coaches the first 20 games to get a feel for his own guys. In the meantime he is the first piece of a Jim Balsille takeover where the sale takes place in the offseason and the team stays in Buffalo for the majority of their games while being allowed to play 5 times in Hamilton a season for 5 years.

Even though I think something has to give, I am of the opinion that Larry Quinn is the source of all evil regarding the Sabres. And Quinn isn't going anywhere as long as tom g is the owner. That means we are screwed.

Lindy is not getting it done anymore. He has missed the playoffs more than he's made it, and even then he did so either with Hasek in goal or with the incredible team that just fell in his lap after the lockout. Year in and year out, the Sabres are more mediocre than anything else, and it's not for lack of talent. Granted, the guys who make up the current team are totally lacking in confidence right now, but I don't see Lindy doing anything to better that situation. Special teams have been abysmal, and I believe this is a sign of bad coaching as well.

Hell, Lindy could be fired simply for starting Enroth tonight. What the hell was that? Start a guy who's struggling at the AHL level against the hottest team in the NHL?

I think it's high time to give this team a fresh outlook. Let's see if a new philosophy can coax some wins out of these guys. I'm tired of watching so many talented players continually regress. I'm not saying it's guaranteed to get better with a new coach, but I think it is guaranteed to NOT get any better with Ruff.

Lindy should be canned . He's lost the players and the players have thrown in the towel on Lindy. Its so obvious its pathetic. That being said its high time we had new leadership in the G.M. position as well. Regier had ample reason following last season to make changes, (meaningful) changes to dramatically improve this team and all we got were excuses. He continues to prove that he's just not capable any more.

He's part owner of the Remparts though. I think he'd want to stay there.

Why not Pat LaFontaine? Or Mike Peca?

I'd like to flush the system of all the poisonous ex-Sabres. They've really contributed to retarding this team.

I want someone with a brain who has experience running a successful team, not another reject from the Sabres organization.

I'd like to flush the system of all the poisonous ex-Sabres. They've really contributed to retarding this team.

I want someone with a brain who has experience running a successful team, not another reject from the Sabres organization.

And just to add to that you don't bring in someone with no coaching experience if you want to improve this dire situation.

Hell, Lindy could be fired simply for starting Enroth tonight. What the hell was that? Start a guy who's struggling at the AHL level against the hottest team in the NHL?

I don't have the stats on Portland, I thought they were doing pretty well, with just that loss on the road last night?

late to the thread -- i've been staying away partly because life's busy, partly because the team stinks.

i've said it before, and i'll say it again: lindy is a great coach whose time has come. lindy has his flaws (e.g., power play), but he's proven himself as a maestro of creating and implementing great x-and-o schemes that maximize the talent that he has on hand. i am prepared for him to move on and have terrific success with another franchise. and then, in 10 years or so, he can retire to east amherst, re-join the transit valley country club, and have a nice quality of life in retirement. god speed, lindy.

what i really hope for is change at GM (and, while i am at it, at managing partner and at owner). blow this thing up and start all over. in a perfect world, we'd get a GM with a fresh vision (maybe not better than darcy's, just ... different, and new), move some significant assets, acknowledge that we need to rebuild, and go from there.

i stopped watching last night -- just too painful. if you'd told me in september that i'd more enjoy watching a winless bills team than i would enjoy watching the sabres, i never would have believed you.

Lindy is not getting it done anymore. He has missed the playoffs more than he's made it, and even then he did so either with Hasek in goal or with the incredible team that just fell in his lap after the lockout. Year in and year out, the Sabres are more mediocre than anything else, and it's not for lack of talent. Granted, the guys who make up the current team are totally lacking in confidence right now, but I don't see Lindy doing anything to better that situation. Special teams have been abysmal, and I believe this is a sign of bad coaching as well.

I think it's high time to give this team a fresh outlook. Let's see if a new philosophy can coax some wins out of these guys. I'm tired of watching so many talented players continually regress. I'm not saying it's guaranteed to get better with a new coach, but I think it is guaranteed to NOT get any better with Ruff.

Um, no.

Archived