Portland Pirates News

wildcat48

Sabres return Adam to Portland

Published on: 18th January, 2011 by Chris Roy

Things couldn’t be going any better for the Portland Pirates than they are right now.

The Pirates are riding a three-game winning streak, and have won six of their seven games and will look to continue their strong run when they hit the ice on Wednesday night in Worcester for a game that has been rescheduled twice because of poor weather conditions.

Link>>>>

So, Sabres centers are likely to be Hecht, Connolly, Gaustad, McCormick for the rest season?

Brilliant !!!!!

When is the last time we had a group of centers this awful? Have we ever had a group of centers this awful?

Please please please let the fire sale begin.

Per WGR, Kaleta is back in tonight.

Cue the Kaleta fight after Montreal makes it 3-0 in the 2nd......If they really want to spark the crowd, have him drop the gloves with Connolly and put him out of his misery. Connolly is like that daddy long legs limb that you pulled out as a youth....it is twitching but serves no purpose anymore.

this team needs scoring, and Adam wasnt providing too much of it.

Kaletas back in? yawn. We will cheer and his comes close to a huge body check and draws a penalty for our bad PP. Then we still wont be able to score.

THis team doesnt need another grinder they need a little more scoring touch.

When is the last time we had a group of centers this awful? Have we ever had a group of centers this awful?

January 2008. Roy and Connolly were both hurt for three games (10th, 12th, 16th.) The centers (for at least the Jan 10th game) were:

Jochen Hecht (centering MacArthur and Pominville)

Paul Gaustad (centering Mike Ryan and Stafford)

Adam Mair (centering Kotalik and Vanek)

Dan Paille (centering Kaleta and Peters)

:thumbsup:

January 2008. Roy and Connolly were both hurt for three games (10th, 12th, 16th.) The centers (for at least the Jan 10th game) were:

Jochen Hecht (centering MacArthur and Pominville)

Paul Gaustad (centering Mike Ryan and Stafford)

Adam Mair (centering Kotalik and Vanek)

Dan Paille (centering Kaleta and Peters)

:thumbsup:

:sick:

I think keeping Adam up for rest of season and giving him added playing time would be bagging it.... not sending him back to play more experienced players.

I'm with you on this one, but technically they didn't have to send him back at all. They're now 1 under the max roster, so he could have sat in the press box if they wanted him to. I'd much rather have him playing in Portland over that though.

I'm with you on this one, but technically they didn't have to send him back at all. They're now 1 under the max roster, so he could have sat in the press box if they wanted him to. I'd much rather have him playing in Portland over that though.

Not only that, but i don't like to keep a guy up and play a very tiny role when he could be playing 20+ minutes in Portland. Adam barley played 10 minutes a game with the Sabres. If they were to keep him up, you have to deal with the rookie mistakes he would make but he would need 16+ minutes a game.

Please please please let the fire sale begin.

Good question and upon resarching it over the 40 year history I have come to the conclusion that we have really gone light on quality centers over the life of this franchise. Throw out the obvious Perreault, Luce, Lorentz, Savard's and the retreaded Lafontaine, Hawerchucks, Barnes, Hannan's of later years and add in the giving up on the McNab, Pierre Turgeon and Adam Creightons, Curtis Browns and we are left with a bunch of journey man the likes of Preistly, Ruuttu, Lever's, McCourts, Orlando, Gratton, Primeau or has beens like Gilmour, Neidermayer of late.

The only year that looks like it could compare was the first year 70-71 where Gilbert was a rookie and Meheen was the only center of note besides Non household names like Skip Krake, Randy Wyrozub(My personal favorite name), Brian McDonald,

In another interesting tidbit the whole rotating capatain thing really is a Lindy Ruff creation for this team.

Donald Audette 1997/98

Michael Peca 1998/99-1999/00

No Captain 2000/01

Stu Barnes 2001/02-2002/03

Rotating Captains 2003/04

Daniel Briere & Chris Drury 05/06-06/07

Rotating Captains 2007/08

Craig Rivet 2008/09-Present

:sick:

Want to be really sick? Had the injuries happened two weeks sooner, that would have been our Winter Classic lineup.

If they were to keep him up, you have to deal with the rookie mistakes he would make but he would need 16+ minutes a game.

If they have a bad stretch and really fall out of the playoff hunt, you could see this happen. It should, of course, follow a big dump of players for picks/prospects at the deadline.

Not only that, but i don't like to keep a guy up and play a very tiny role when he could be playing 20+ minutes in Portland. Adam barley played 10 minutes a game with the Sabres. If they were to keep him up, you have to deal with the rookie mistakes he would make but he would need 16+ minutes a game.

It's better to watch older overpaid players make the same mistakes?

Pirates fall short in comeback

Published on: 19th January, 2011 by Chris Roy

After being postponed twice because of poor weather, the Portland Pirates and Worcester Sharks were finally able to play at the DCU Center on Wednesday night.

The Sharks built a 3-0 lead after 40 minutes of play and held on for a 4-3 win, snapping the Pirates three-game winning streak in front of 2,439 people in attendance at the game.

Link>>>>

Roloff returns to give Pirates the win

Published on: 21st January, 2011 by Chris Roy

Portland, ME – Brian Roloff returned to the lineup for the Portland Pirates, scoring the game-winning goal in the third period to lift the Pirates over the Worcester Sharks, 5-2, in front of 3,639 at the Cumberland County Civic Center on Friday night.

Link>>>>>

Mancari propels Pirates to victory; takes AHL lead in goals

Published on: 22nd January, 2011 by Chris Roy

Portland, ME – In front of the largest crowd at the Cumberland County Civic Center since Feb. 2008, Mark Mancari recorded a hat trick to lead the Portland Pirates over the Providence Bruins, 5-2, before 7,126 to move into a first place tie for the Atlantic Division lead with the Manchester Monarchs.

Link>>>

Archived