Portland Pirates News

wildcat48

Adam was assigned to Portland this morning and was at practice....

More later>>>>

I have a feeling he'll be back up soon. Vogl says Connolly is not on the ice at practice. A maintenance day? He can't maintain anything, WTF does he need another day for?

Adam rejoins Pirates after NHL debut

Published on: 27th October, 2010 by Chris Roy

Portland, ME — It’s been a whirlwind journey for forward Luke Adam as three days, and nine hours of sleep later he was back on the ice practicing with the Portland Pirates.

Adam, 20, made his NHL debut last night in Philadelphia, PA with the Buffalo Sabres in a 6-3 loss after being called up from Portland late Monday night.

Link>>>

Pirates eye first road win with a trip south of the Mason-Dixon

Published on: 28th October, 2010 by Chris Roy

Portland, ME – The Portland Pirates are heading into their longest road trip of the season that will take them to the beaches of Virginia, and the home of NASCAR in Charlotte, NC.

It’s also a road trip that couldn’t have come at a better time for the Pirates.

Link>>>>

Pirates out duel Admirals for first road win of the season

Published on: 29th October, 2010 by Chris Roy

The Portland Pirates can breathe a sigh of relief after finally earning a victory on the road.

Derek Whitmore scored the go ahead goal in the shootout to give the Pirates a 6-5 win over the Norfolk Admirals before an announced attendance of 3,480 at the Norfolk Scope on Friday night.

Link>>>>

Where’s the defense as Gragnani nets OT winner

Published on: 30th October, 2010 by Chris Roy

The last two games have seen the Portland Pirates come from behind against the high-powered offense of the Norfolk Admirals as Marc-Andre Gragnani scored the winning goal just 65 seconds into overtime to give the Pirates a 7-6 win at the Norfolk Scope on Saturday night.

Link>>>

Pirates keep rolling on the road with a victory in the Queen City

Published on: 2nd November, 2010 by Chris Roy

In their third straight game, the Portland Pirates needed extra time to decide the outcome.

Luke Adam and Corey Tropp scored in the shootout to give the Pirates a 4-3 victory over the Charlotte Checkers in front of 3,417 at the Time Warner Arena in Charlotte, NC.

Link>>>

Went to the game last night. Pirates looked pretty good. Some thoughts:

Gragnani was easily the most dominating player on the ice. No one else came close to the moves he made with the puck, and his outlet passes were dead on. I was really impressed. I don't know if his game will translate well to the NHL, but he has to be one of the top puck moving defenders in the AHL.

Dennis McCauley is a punching bag. Anyone who hoped he could bring some size to the Sabres lineup is sorely mistaken. If he were to be called up, then Buffalo's in seriously bad shape.

Luke Adam looked tired, and I see where the concerns are about his skating, but he was always where he needed to be on the ice. For a big guy he doesn't use his size enough. Kind of like Mancari, but he definitely has more skill with the puck, and scored a pretty goal in the shootout.

I was also impressed with Schiestel and Biega. Brennan looked lost out there at times and coughed the puck up quite a bit.

Pirates come just short of the perfect road trip

Published on: 3rd November, 2010 by Chris Roy

In the land where gear heads and NASCAR reign supreme, the Portland Pirates had the Checkers in sight, but just ran out of gas, dropping a 5-4 decision to the Charlotte Checkers in front 3,689 at the Time Warner Arena on Wednesday night.

Link>>>>

Pirates give a gritty effort against the Phantoms

Published on: 5th November, 2010 by Chris Roy

Portland, ME – When the master plan was being drawn up by Kevin Dineen and the Buffalo Sabres for their vision of this year’s Portland Pirates. One word came to mind.

Grit.

The Pirates showed plenty of grit with a 5-2 victory over the Adirondack Phantoms before a sold out crowd of 6,783 at the Cumberland County on Friday night.

Link>>>>

A sloppy first period proves too costly as Pirates suffer first loss on home ice

Published on: 6th November, 2010 by Chris Roy

Portland, ME – A poor start by the Portland Pirates proved to be too much to overcome.

The Providence Bruins scored three times in the first period and held on for a 5-4 overtime victory against the Pirates before 4,274 at the Cumberland County Civic Center on Saturday night.

Link>>>

Broduer stays hot in MHJ’s Three Stars of the Week

Published on: 8th November, 2010 by Chris Roy

One week after Lewiston Maineiacs forward Etienne Brodeur was named the Maine Hockey Journal’s second star, he’s moved up one spot, taking over the top spot as the No. 1 star for Maine Hockey Journal’s Three Stars of the Week for the week ending November 7, 2010.

Link>>>

No. 2 -- Persson

No. 3 -- Adam

Archived