Portland Pirates News

wildcat48

Pirates take rubber match against the Whale

Published on: 6th February, 2011 by Chris Roy

Defenseman TJ Brennan scored late in the third period for the Portland Pirates as they took the rubber match of a three-game set against the Connecticut Whale with a 3-2 win in front of 3,458 at the XL Center in Hartford, Connecticut on Sunday afternoon.

Link>>>>

Pirates strike quick to extend their win streak

Published on: 13th February, 2011 by Chris Roy

Two quick goals in the first period by the Portland Pirates propelled them to a 6-3 win against the Bridgeport Sound Tigers, extending their win streak to three games in front of 5,070 at Webster Bank Arena at Harbor Yard in Bridgeport on Sunday afternoon.

Link>>>>

I saw the Manchester Monarchs win Sunday afternoon to stay three points ahead of the Pirates in their division. It should be an interesting race to the end of the regular season! Monarchs are quick and skilled, but without much toughness. Their style reminds me of the Sabres over the past several years - it often works in the regular season but not built for the playoffs.

Pirates hand the P-Bruins a pounding

Published on: 16th February, 2011 by Greg Cavanaugh

Portland, ME – The Portland Pirates (33-15-4-1) and the Providence Bruins (23-28-3-1) were two teams heading in completely different directions in the Atlantic Division standings heading into Wednesday night’s meeting at the Cumberland County Civic Center.

After 60 minutes, both teams continued upon their respective paths as Portland won their fourth-straight, sending Providence to their seventh consecutive loss, a 7-0 thumping before 3,369 Pirates’ faithful.

Link>>>>>

Pirates only have themselves to blame

Published on: 21st February, 2011 by Chris Roy

Portland, ME – It was a good news, bad news day for the Portland Pirates.

The good news was the Pirates gained a point against the idle Manchester Monarchs for the top spot in the Atlantic Division.

The bad news was the Pirates played in their minds their worst game of the season in a 2-1 overtime loss to the Connecticut Whale in front of 5,574 at the Cumberland County Civic Center in a rare Monday matinee.

Link>>>>>

Dineen not impressed with schedule; Rivet clears waivers

Published on: 24th February, 2011 by Chris Roy

The Pirates hit the ice this morning at Portland Ice Arena albeit 20 minutes late after an extended video session back at the civic center.

Back on the ice for the Pirates was Paul Byron, who was recently assigned to the club after spending nearly two weeks with the Buffalo Sabres.

Link>>>>

Pirates give up ground to Manchester

Published on: 26th February, 2011 by Chris Roy

Tom Sestito and Nikita Filatov each recorded a goal and an assist for the Springfield Falcons as they dealt a mild setback to the Portland Pirates, who dropped a 4-1 decision, before 3,731 at the MassMutual Center on Saturday night.

Link>>>>

Pirates muck out a victory against the Sharks

Published on: 2nd March, 2011 by Chris Roy

Portland, ME – For Portland Pirates head coach Kevin Dineen wants to avoid – as he calls it – “the muck”.

They got off to a good start. Rookie Luke Adam scores two goals, and Paul Byron added a goal and two assists as the Pirates handed the Worcester Sharks a 6-2 defeat before a Tuesday night crowd of 2,690 at the Cumberland County Civic Center.

Link>>>>

Pirates lay a pounding on Bridgeport

Published on: 6th March, 2011 by Chris Roy

Portland, ME – Forward Paul Byron might be small in stature, but that’s never stopped him from playing a big man’s game.

Byron, one of several players on the Portland Pirates, recorded a multi-point game as they throttled the Bridgeport Sound Tigers, 8-3, in front of 5,269 at the Cumberland County Civic Center on Saturday night.

Link>>>>

Pirates light up another opponent

Portland, ME – The Portland Pirates once again put on another display of their offensive prowess.

Led by forward Mark Parrish with two goals and two assists, the Pirates scored six times to send the Springfield Falcons to their fourth straight loss with a 6-1 victory before 4,034 at the Cumberland County Civic Center on Sunday afternoon.

Link>>>>

Pirates light up another opponent

Link>>>>

Nice to see the Pirates chugging along with their #1 netminder and goal scorer up with the Sabres.

Also, interesting to see, just like their parent club, they hold a bunch of games in hand on the team they are battling with for playoff positing.

Nice to see the Pirates chugging along with their #1 netminder and goal scorer up with the Sabres.

Also, interesting to see, just like their parent club, they hold a bunch of games in hand on the team they are battling with for playoff positing.

Nice to see Luke Adam getting back into a groove down there. I wonder what his numbers would look like this year if he'd spent the entire year in the AHL.

David Leggio is playing well down there in goal (17-4, 2.57 GAA, .918 save %). Kid is a great story. From Williamsville originally, he went undrafted out of Clarkson and has kicked around the ECHL, AHL, and Finland before signing with the Sabres on a two-way contract last summer.

It is hard not to root for the hometown guys!

David Leggio is playing well down there in goal (17-4, 2.57 GAA, .918 save %). Kid is a great story. From Williamsville originally, he went undrafted out of Clarkson and has kicked around the ECHL, AHL, and Finland before signing with the Sabres on a two-way contract last summer.

It is hard not to root for the hometown guys!

He went to St. Joe's, so I have no problem rooting against him. :D

Already depleted the Pirates are hit again

Published on: 8th March, 2011 by Chris Roy

Portland could very well be playing down as many as three players tonight when they face the defending Calder Cup champions, the Hershey Bears. The Pirates took to the ice this morning’s skate without the services of Mark Parrish and Luke Adam, who were both recalled to the Sabres this morning.

Link>>>>

Pirates keep on rolling

Published on: 9th March, 2011 by Chris Roy

Portland, ME – Although the Portland Pirates have lost several key players to recent recalls and injuries, they are still finding ways to earn points.

Forward Corey Tropp scored a key goal in the third period and added the game winner in the shootout to give the Pirates a 3-2 win over the Hershey Bears before a crowd of 4,403 at the Cumberland County Civic Center on Tuesday night.

Link>>>>

Pirates take over first place

Published on: 11th March, 2011 by Chris Roy

Springfield, Mass. – Luke Adam and Brian Roloff each scored two goals to move the Portland Pirates into first-place in the Atlantic Division with a 5-3 victory over Springfield Falcons before 4,362 at the MassMutual Center on Friday night.

Link>>>>

Archived