Portland Pirates News

wildcat48

Seems like they're done looking at Mancari, Stuart maybe?

I've liked Stuart's game in the past. He a middling talent but you have to like his drives to net, and we don't see enough of that. If you are going to play an energy line, I want to see enemy defense men getting gassed tying up guys driving to net, and not playing a comfortable game.

Pirates undermanned and outmatched by Worcester

Published on: 7th December, 2010 by Chris Roy

Portland, ME – The Portland Pirates ended the game as they began it.

Shorthanded, but they aren’t seeking pity from anyone.

The Pirates were forced to kill off a five-on-three penalty for the remaining 1:31 of the game as the Worcester Sharks outpaced the undermanned Pirates, 4-2, in front of 4,892 on Tuesday night at the Cumberland County Civic Center.

Link>>>>

Legault signed to AHL contract

Published on: 10th December, 2010 by Chris Roy

With a quarter of the season gone by, Portland Pirates forward Maxime Legault now has some certainty as to where hell be spending the rest of this season.

It was announced on Friday that Legault was signed to an AHL contract by the Buffalo Sabres.

Link>>>>

Pirates back into the win column against Baby B’s

Published on: 10th December, 2010 by Chris Roy

On the same day it was announced that forward Maxime Legault was signed to an AHL contract by the Portland Pirates, he tallied a pair of goals as the Pirates snapped a three-game losing streak to defeat the Providence Bruins, 5-1, in front of 6,255 at the Dunkin Donuts Center in Providence, Rhode Island.

Link>>>>

Pirates squeak by Adirondack, 2-1

Published on: 11th December, 2010 by Chris Roy

It took the Portland Pirates two periods of play, but they finally broke through by scoring a pair of goals in the third period to defeat the lowly Adirondack Phantoms, 2-1, before 3,284 at the Glens Falls Civic Center on Saturday night.

Link>>>>

I went to the game today in Manchester and was very impressed with the play of the Pirates. Some specific impressions:

Matt Ellis played like a man among boys all game. Heady play, maximum hustle and great leadership.

Mark Mancari continues to waste his prodigious talent on most shifts. He didn't hit anyone all game and floats most of the time. It's sad, really.

David Leggio was very solid. He played the angles well and covered most rebounds quickly. Shouldn't he be considered in the mix for future backup to Miller?

Dennis Persson will likely never make the Show. No physical game at all, and he looks lost most of the time.

T.J. Brennan showed some good puck moving skills and a hard shot from the point. Looks like he still has some developing to do in the defensive end.

Nick Crawford and Drew Schiestel look to have very similar styles of play - I kept getting them confused. Neither one was a liability and I can see one or both as future Sabres.

All in all, Portland has a good mix of AHL veterans and kids, and they looked very well coached. Scored a couple PP goals and killed penalties well (there seemed a lot more called on them than Manchester, but I don't know the final count). It was a fun afternoon for me.

I went to the game today in Manchester and was very impressed with the play of the Pirates. Some specific impressions:

Matt Ellis played like a man among boys all game. Heady play, maximum hustle and great leadership.

Mark Mancari continues to waste his prodigious talent on most shifts. He didn't hit anyone all game and floats most of the time. It's sad, really.

David Leggio was very solid. He played the angles well and covered most rebounds quickly. Shouldn't he be considered in the mix for future backup to Miller?

Dennis Persson will likely never make the Show. No physical game at all, and he looks lost most of the time.

T.J. Brennan showed some good puck moving skills and a hard shot from the point. Looks like he still has some developing to do in the defensive end.

Nick Crawford and Drew Schiestel look to have very similar styles of play - I kept getting them confused. Neither one was a liability and I can see one or both as future Sabres.

All in all, Portland has a good mix of AHL veterans and kids, and they looked very well coached. Scored a couple PP goals and killed penalties well (there seemed a lot more called on them than Manchester, but I don't know the final count). It was a fun afternoon for me.

Thanks for this. I'm always interested in things that help size up the organization depth.

Pirates getting back on track before Christmas break

Published on: 14th December, 2010 by Chris Roy

It's amazing what a week can do for the spirit of the Portland Pirates.

Last week, the Pirates were mired their longest losing streak of the season after dropping six of seven games and were heading into the weekend on road with a 1-5-0-1 record. They were a team that was desperately shorthanded resulting in veteran Marc-Andre Gragnani moving up to forward.

Again, it's amazing what a week can do for the Pirates' spirit.

Link>>>>

Adam provides spark to Pirates lineup

Published on: 17th December, 2010 by Chris Roy

In a quirk made by the AHL schedule makers, the Pirates will travel to Manchester, NH for the second of a three-game set against the Manchester Monarchs, starting tonight at the Verizon Wireless Arena.

The Pirates will have another piece of their early season success back on the ice as rookie forward Luke Adam was back on the ice with the Pirates on Wednesday.

Link>>>>

Pirates can’t stop Holloway; fall in Manchester, 4-3

Published on: 17th December, 2010 by Chris Roy

Bud Holloway scored three goals which proved to be the difference as the Manchester Monarchs slipped past the Portland Pirates, 4-3, to retake first place in the AHL’s Atlantic Division in front of 4,049 at the Verizon Wireless Arena on Friday night.

Link>>>>

Pirates spiral to another loss

Published on: 18th December, 2010 by Chris Roy

Portland, ME – The Portland Pirates are back to their losing ways and head coach Kevin Dineen isn’t happy about it.

The Pirates dropped their second game in as many nights to the Manchester Monarchs, this time by a 2-1 score on a controversial goal in overtime before 4,477 at the Cumberland County Civic Center.

Link>>>>>

Bridgeport leaves the Pirates with a winless weekend

Published on: 19th December, 2010 by Chris Roy

For the second time in three weeks, the Portland Pirates dropped three straight games as they continues their slide down the standings with a 3-1 loss to the Bridgeport Sound Tigers in front of 2,731 at the Arena at Harbor Yard.

Link>>>>

Pirates take time off to regroup; Adam is back with the Sabres

Published on: 20th December, 2010 by Chris Roy

The Pirates practiced briefly this morning before departing for next several days for their respective homes. Several players will be staying locally, but for the most part everyone will be getting away from the rink which is not necessarily a bad thing at this time of year.

Link>>>

Archived