Portland Pirates News

wildcat48

It's a good time to thank you, Chris.

Thanks for the updates and comments all year.

I 2nd that notion.

I don't follow the :pirate: updates religiously; but when I do check them, I always find them informative and well written.

Looking forward to reading the updates again next season.

Regards.

:beer: :beer: :beer:

Chris, I've been meaning to ask about attendance figures. Is the organization disappointed?

No, not really this has been really good year. The CCCC was nearly at 80% capacity for the season overall. We had six sellouts. Most since 2000-01 when Brian Petrovek bought the team. The team had some light crowds, but that's to be expected in this market which follows the Boston sports scence more than the local one. As for the Binghamton series. Attendence was an issue was a lot of factors played into it. Game 6 of the Connecticut series finished on Saturday and the Bingo series began on Tuesday leaving the Pirates only 2 days to sell because Easter was Sunday. Tickets didn't go on sale from ticketmaster until late afternoon on Sunday. People were turned away. It was mess. Game 6 was better and Game 7 was expected to be 5,000+.

It's too bad, but that's life of a minor league market.

Thanks everyone... I've enjoyed and I think Buffalo has been a good affiliate. I hope it last for a while although I do see Buffalo eventually going back to Rochester.

Anyway, here one more article.

It's was a pretty sad sight.... CCCC was already taking out the ice. Could have gone for a swim instead of a skate.

It’s a time of reflection for the Pirates

Published on: 7th May, 2011 by Chris Roy

Today was a somber day for the Pirates as they cleaned out their lockers, had their exit interviews, said their good-byes and met with the media one last time before departing for the summer.

Link includes audio from several players, coaches and Sabres GM Darcy Regier

This drum has been banging a little too long. You do realize Mark Mancari has been an AHL regular for SIX FREAKIN YEARS. Nathan Gerbe spent 2 half seasons in the "A".

Yep, I have to agree...some guys just cap out at that level, and I think Mancari is one of them...

The biggest example of this is Alex Giroux, and wildcat can probably back me up on that one...one of the best pure scorers I have seen at the AHL level in a long time, and he looks absolutely lost every time he gets called up to the NHL.

This drum has been banging a little too long. You do realize Mark Mancari has been an AHL regular for SIX FREAKIN YEARS. Nathan Gerbe spent 2 half seasons in the "A".

He's a nice call-up option. ....... but for some reason Deny Hamel comes to mind here...

He's a nice call-up option. ....... but for some reason Deny Hamel comes to mind here...

I don't mind Mancari at all as a 13th/14th forward for the Sabres. I just get annoyed wen he gets compared to actual prospects in the system. At this point he's a depth guy. I loved Hamel. I thought he played with a lot more jam than Mancari ever did. Not quite NHL level talent but he was a prototypical AHL power forward, if there ever was a thing.

I don't mind Mancari at all as a 13th/14th forward for the Sabres. I just get annoyed wen he gets compared to actual prospects in the system. At this point he's a depth guy. I loved Hamel. I thought he played with a lot more jam than Mancari ever did. Not quite NHL level talent but he was a prototypical AHL power forward, if there ever was a thing.

Hamel would have been a career 3rd-4th liner if not for the knee injury and would have stayed in the NHL for several years.

I don't mind Mancari as the 14th forward. I'd prefer to have the 13th slot used by an "energy" guy that doesn't warrant 82 games. I think we're all in agreement that Mancari is a career AHLer.

Hamel would have been a career 3rd-4th liner if not for the knee injury and would have stayed in the NHL for several years.

I don't mind Mancari as the 14th forward. I'd prefer to have the 13th slot used by an "energy" guy that doesn't warrant 82 games. I think we're all in agreement that Mancari is a career AHLer.

I actually forgot about the knee injury...but I agree with Inkman. Hamel played with a lot more natural instinct and made a few memorable hits .

It was the career AHL part I was obliquely referring to...Mancari isn't a bad call-up option. He played within himself when he came up and didn't hurt the team....but didn't really provide a spark either. Safe player to have in the A for emergencies.

• 4 weeks later...

This might be one of my last post here.... Sounds like both teams will be going in different directions soon. It was a good run and enjoyed the ride while it lasted.

Could the Pirates and Panthers unite in the future

Published on: 1st June, 2011 by Chris Roy

If Kevin Dineen has a say the Florida Panthers could very well be calling Portland, Maine home for their AHL prospects in the very near future.

Dineen, who was announced head coach of the Panthers on Wednesday, indicated that hed like to maintain ties with the organization that he called home for six seasons.

Link>>>

This might be one of my last post here.... Sounds like both teams will be going in different directions soon. It was a good run and enjoyed the ride while it lasted.

As we've always said, we appreciate your work and we appreciate what Portland has been as an affiliate. If it were any team other than the Amerks, I'd be really disappointed in the change.

We have appreciated all your work, if the Pirates and Panthers hook up, I hope things work out better for Portland than they did for Rochester.

Archived