Portland Pirates News

wildcat48

Pirates left speechless in Manchester

Published on: 2nd April, 2011 by Chris Roy

Manchester, NH – There weren’t many words to describe what happened on Saturday night at the Verizon Wireless Arena.

A few come to mind, however.

Lackluster, Uninspired, Boring and Insipid are just a couple that comes to mind as the Portland Pirates missed a huge opportunity to nail down the AHL Atlantic Division title.

The Pirates, who entered the night losing four of their last five games, added another loss to the standings as proverbial Pirate-killer Bud Holloway scored a goal and added an assist for a 5-2 drubbing and it won’t get any easier for the Pirates as they are in the midst of seven games in nine days.

Link>>>>

Pirates slump continues in Hartford

Published on: 3rd April, 2011 by Chris Roy

Things are just getting uglier for the Portland Pirates.

Dale Wiese scored a pair of unassisted goals, leading the Connecticut Whale past the Pirates, 4-2, before 4,321 at the XL Center in Hartford, CT on Sunday afternoon.

Link>>>

Pirates snap losing streak

Published on: 5th April, 2011 by Chris Roy

The Portland Pirates gave themselves some much-needed breathing room in the race for the AHL Atlantic Division title.

Mark Parrish scored the lone goal in the shootout as the Pirates slid past the Worcester Sharks, 2-1, before 2,555 at the DCU Center on Tuesday night.

Link>>>

Pirates inching closer to division title

Published on: 7th April, 2011 by Chris Roy

Portland, ME – The Portland Pirates moved one step closer to the AHL Atlantic Division title although they did have to work extra for the two points.

And, they’re doing it with nine regulars out of the lineup because of injuries or recalls to Buffalo.

Luke Adam scored four points (2g, 2a) including the game-winning goal in the closing seconds of overtime as the Pirates came from behind multiple times against the Manchester Monarchs to earn a 6-5 victory before 3,565 at the Cumberland County Civic Center on Wednesday night.

Link>>>>

this is great news for the future. we have some of the best AHL talent and the way the sabres let talent leave, we can fill holes when we decide not to pay someone else

Methinks those days are over. If the Sabres think a guy is vital to their success, they will make every effort to re-sign him. If the current ownership group were in place on 7/1/07, I believe Drury and/or Briere would still be in Buffalo. Perhaps even Tallydman would still be here as well. Pegula doesn't strike me as someone who would impose an artificial team cap on player salaries. I can see them spending like the Laffs, Rags, Flyers, etc. It'll be interesting to see how the Stafford situation unfolds.

I'm liking our AHL talent as well. The Sabres just might be in a position to let good players leave in order to get better players in the lineup. Nice problem to have.

GO SABRES!!!

Sabres sign Shawn Szydlowski.

http://www.sabresprospects.com/2011/04/sabres-ink-szyd-kid.html

The Buffalo Sabres today announced the signing of unrestricted free agent Shawn Szydlowski to a three-year entry level contract. The 6’0, 210-pound forward recently completed a four-year OHL career with the Erie Otters in which he compiled 94 goals and 103 assists. This past season the St. Clair Shores, MI native finished third in scoring for the Otters with 41 goals and 37 assists. A physical player with a good center of gravity, the scoring forward also logged 21 fighting majors during his time with the Otters.

They must think he has a shot at making it. They didn't waste any time giving him a three year contract as soon as his team was eliminated from the OHL playoffs.

Next year's Pirates won't lack grit. Adding: Kassian, Foligno, McNabb, Boychuk, Szydlowski.

They must think he has a shot at making it. They didn't waste any time giving him a three year contract as soon as his team was eliminated from the OHL playoffs.

Next year's Pirates won't lack grit. Adding: Kassian, Foligno, McNabb, Boychuk, Szydlowski.

Hmmmmm.... I don't know anything about this guy. I'll have to do some snooping around. IIRC Erie was playing Windsor in the playoffs. I guess that means Kassian moves on to the next round.

And if he does in fact make it, let me be the first on this board to give everyone a free pass when they constantly boot the spelling of his name.

I made the drive over to Erie last year and saw him play against Sarnia and thought he had a great game. Can't say I remember much else, although my friends got laughing trying to pronounce his name, and we were really trying to follow McKegg and Scott Arniel's son.

Other than that, we had a good time at the Plymoth.

Hmmmmm.... I don't know anything about this guy. I'll have to do some snooping around. IIRC Erie was playing Windsor in the playoffs. I guess that means Kassian moves on to the next round.

Career Stats: Here.

There's more at the first link I posted and Kris Baker (SabresProspects.com) posted a little more on Twitter from seeing him play.

Sounds like he came into his own in his last year in Juniors with 40 goals. He's not huge at 6' tall but 210 pounds is impressive for a 20 year old. He has plenty of fight videos on YouTube as well.

No idea what his ceiling is, but he seems like a guy we'll be able to count on for a solid effort every night.

And Sutch. They were all nasty in juniors.

And Sutch. They were all nasty in juniors.

I don't think Sutch is eligible for the AHL for another year. But the point still stands. The guys we're bringing in are all guys you wouldn't look forward to playing against.

I've said it before: My dream for the Sabres is to have them be a team that no one wants to play against. That even if you can beat them, you know it's going to be a horrible 60 minutes. I want to create a culture of jerks.

This is probably why I wasn't excited about Mark Pysyk when we drafted him. Skill? Hockey sense? Skating ability? Whatever. He looks too friendly. Guy probably volunteers at an old folks home on off-days.

Sutch has another year in juniors. Boychuk is only eligible to be in Portland because of his age although not sure he is a slam dunk to be signed.

Personally, if they're serious about this whole increased spending on player development, I'd love to see them take on an ECHL affiliate and sign more of their picks.

Sutch has another year in juniors. Boychuk is only eligible to be in Portland because of his age although not sure he is a slam dunk to be signed.

I'll be PO'ed if they don't sign Boychuk. He's the most feared player in our system not named Zack Kassian.

And his WHL numbers this year show he's got some hockey ability as well. He's been good in the playoffs so far too. Stats.

Why wouldn't we sign a 6'5", 220 power forward with some skill and see if he can develop for us? It's not a horrible bet and we could definitely use a guy like this in the future if Ennis, Gerbe, Roy, etc. are still a part of the core.

Archived