Portland Pirates News

wildcat48

Special teams come through for the Pirates

Published on: 29th December, 2010 by Chris Roy

Portland, ME – It was that kind of night for the Portland Pirates.

A little luck and solid special teams helped propel them to a 4-3 win over the Providence Bruins before a near-sellout crowd of 6,626 for a Tuesday night AHL contest at the Cumberland County Civic Center.

Link>>>

Kennedy does it again for a whale of a win

Published on: 31st December, 2010 by Chris Roy

Portland, ME – Just like Wednesday night in Hartford Tim Kennedy came back to haunt his former team.

This time, it only took Kennedy 24 seconds to find the back of the net as he scored the game-winning goal to give the Connecticut Whale a 5-4 OT win over the Portland Pirates in front of a capacity crowd of 6,733 at the Cumberland County Civic Center in the traditional New Year’s Eve game.

Link>>>>

Pirates drop yet another heartbreaker

Published on: 2nd January, 2011 by Chris Roy

In the first game of 2011 for the Portland Pirates, they began the year the same way they finished 2010.

With a loss.

Matt Irwin scored in the closing seconds of the game to give the Worcester Sharks a 3-2 victory over the Pirates in front of 3,550 at the DCU Center on Sunday afternoon.

Link>>>

Pirates know they need better from special teams

Published on: 4th January, 2011 by Chris Roy

Five points in the last seven games is not good enough.

Too many opportunities not capitalized on and too many mistakes have consistently killed the Portland Pirates since the middle of November, and now as the Pirates hit their busiest month of the season.

Link>>>>

Pirates spread the offense for first win in Bridgeport

Published on: 5th January, 2011 by Chris Roy

The Portland Pirates received goals from five different players as they won their first game of the season in Bridgeport with a 5-3 win over the Sound Tigers in front 2,044 at the Arena at Harbor Yard on Wednesday night.

Link>>>>

Pirates put together “almost perfect” performance

Published on: 8th January, 2011 by Chris Roy

Portland, ME – It was perhaps the Portland Pirates most complete game of the season.

The Pirates scored three times in the second period to go along with a 22-save performance from Jhonas Enroth en route to a 4-1 victory over the Springfield Falcons at the Cumberland County Civic Center on Friday night.

Link>>>>

Pirates pull closer to division leader with a victory

Published on: 8th January, 2011 by Chris Roy

Portland, ME – The Portland Pirates earned their third straight win as Dennis McCauley and Max Legault scored two goals each in a 4-3 win over the Manchester Monarchs in front 4,597 people at the Cumberland County Civic Center on Saturday night.

Link>>>>

Senators veto the Pirates on home ice

Published on: 11th January, 2011 by Chris Roy

Portland, ME – When it comes to winning streaks, the Portland Pirates can master three-game winning streaks, but is having a tough time finding their fourth win.

Corey Locke tallied four points on the night with a pair of goals and assists as the Binghamton Senators went on for the 5-2 win in front of 4,140 at the Cumberland County Civic Center.

Link>>>>

thanks as always, Chris,

What is the skinny on moving Brennan to forward?

Is he expected to return to D? Or is this something more permanent?

Moving Brennan to forward caught my eye as well. Why on earth are we moving one of our promising defensive prospects to forward, especially since the defensive part of his game is what needs the most work - owning our AHL franchise is supposed to eliminate this crap - you develop the players in the position they will hopefully play in the NHL - if you need another forward,, you do what every other AHL team does - raid the roster of an ECHL team.

On the other hand, moving Lagace down to the E does not bode well for him.

Moving Brennan to forward caught my eye as well. Why on earth are we moving one of our promising defensive prospects to forward, especially since the defensive part of his game is what needs the most work - owning our AHL franchise is supposed to eliminate this crap - you develop the players in the position they will hopefully play in the NHL - if you need another forward,, you do what every other AHL team does - raid the roster of an ECHL team.

On the other hand, moving Lagace down to the E does not bode well for him.

Hopefully it was just a lack of bodies that brought the move on. Still, I'd imagine that Gragnani would be the first to make that move since he has in the past and it appears that his future probably doesn't have NHL written all over it. Maybe he's out too.

Hopefully it was just a lack of bodies that brought the move on. Still, I'd imagine that Gragnani would be the first to make that move since he has in the past and it appears that his future probably doesn't have NHL written all over it. Maybe he's out too.

Gragnani will never be the Nathan Paetsch we were hoping he'd be. :beer:

Brennan moving forward might be temporary, but then again, it maybe a more permanent thing. He's played there for the last several games and has really excelled. At defense, he struggled and often time was the seventh d-man.... If the Sabres feel he would make a better forward and it helps his development I could see him becoming a forward.

Remember, Mark Mancari was a defenseman in junior with Ottawa and was converted in his fourth year with the 67's.

As for Lagace... Dineen spoke about that tonight. Felt that Lagace has a lot to learn and he wasn't going to get the playing time with the team getting healthy.

Check out the other thread or read tonight's game story for more from Dineen.

Pirates get it done in regulation against the Whale

Published on: 14th January, 2011 by Chris Roy

Portland, ME – Derek Whitmore scored two goals and David Leggio made 21 saves for the Portland Pirates first shutout of the season with a 3-0 victory over the Connecticut Whale before 3,448 at the Cumberland County Civic Center on Friday night.

Link>>>>

Pirates fillet the Sharks

Published on: 16th January, 2011 by Chris Roy

Portland, ME – What a way for the Portland Pirates to end their five-game homestand.

On the back of a record-tying feat by defenseman Marc-Andre Gragnani, who recorded five assists, the Pirates laid a walloping on the Worcester Sharks, 8-3, in front of 5,339 people at the Cumberland County Civic Center on Saturday night.

Link>>>

Pirates make it a clean sweep of the weekend

Published on: 16th January, 2011 by Chris Roy

The third period has proven to be fruitful for the Portland Pirates in the last two games.

The Pirates scored three times in the third period to outpace the Springfield Falcons, 4-1, in front of 2,773 at the MassMutual Center on Sunday afternoon.

Link>>>

Brennan moving forward might be temporary, but then again, it maybe a more permanent thing. He's played there for the last several games and has really excelled. At defense, he struggled and often time was the seventh d-man.... If the Sabres feel he would make a better forward and it helps his development I could see him becoming a forward.

Remember, Mark Mancari was a defenseman in junior with Ottawa and was converted in his fourth year with the 67's.

As for Lagace... Dineen spoke about that tonight. Felt that Lagace has a lot to learn and he wasn't going to get the playing time with the team getting healthy.

Check out the other thread or read tonight's game story for more from Dineen.

Thanks, Chris. It sounds like he is more than a ways off from the NHL.

Archived