Portland Pirates News

wildcat48

I don't think Sutch is eligible for the AHL for another year. But the point still stands. The guys we're bringing in are all guys you wouldn't look forward to playing against.

I've said it before: My dream for the Sabres is to have them be a team that no one wants to play against. That even if you can beat them, you know it's going to be a horrible 60 minutes. I want to create a culture of jerks.

This is probably why I wasn't excited about Mark Pysyk when we drafted him. Skill? Hockey sense? Skating ability? Whatever. He looks too friendly. Guy probably volunteers at an old folks home on off-days.

Yeah its sucks that his upside could end up only being someone like Mike Ramsey.

I don't think Sutch is eligible for the AHL for another year. But the point still stands. The guys we're bringing in are all guys you wouldn't look forward to playing against.

I've said it before: My dream for the Sabres is to have them be a team that no one wants to play against. That even if you can beat them, you know it's going to be a horrible 60 minutes. I want to create a culture of jerks.

This is probably why I wasn't excited about Mark Pysyk when we drafted him. Skill? Hockey sense? Skating ability? Whatever. He looks too friendly. Guy probably volunteers at an old folks home on off-days.

They can't all be tough guys. Like Soupy before him, Sekera has the potential to be a huge contributor on this team. I don't want a defense group of all Sekeras, but I don't want all Webers either.

It's all about getting the right mix of skill and nasty, including a few of the (rare) guys who have plenty of both.

Personally, if they're serious about this whole increased spending on player development, I'd love to see them take on an ECHL affiliate and sign more of their picks.

I'm all for an ECHL affiliate, but they have signed 6 out of 8 of their 2008 picks and figure to sign 4 of 6 of their 2009 class. They have to be inching toward that 50 player limit especially if they to count Zagrapan, Gogulla and Schutz on their reserve list.

They can't all be tough guys. Like Soupy before him, Sekera has the potential to be a huge contributor on this team. I don't want a defense group of all Sekeras, but I don't want all Webers either.

It's all about getting the right mix of skill and nasty, including a few of the (rare) guys who have plenty of both.

Better response.

I was trying to compare Pysyk to a current Sabres defenseman around the Holidays to my friends and I picked Sekera. He's not super big but he sounds very skilled. Of course, that comparison seems outdated since Sekera turned himself into a human highlight reel (and occasionally not that dependable).

The key word for Pysyk might be "smart." Sounds like he understands the game and knows how to play in any situation: PP, PK, and even strength. He had a crazy streak during the season where he was never a "minus" in a game. He'll probably be one of our better blueliners when it comes to making the first pass coming out of our own end. It makes a huge difference having guys who can do that.

Yeah its sucks that his upside could end up only being someone like Mike Ramsey.

:lol:

I had the chance to talk to some fans at the World Juniors and many were saying that Pysyk is one of the best skaters they've ever seen.

That and a right handed shot.

I'm excited to see him play.

I was trying to compare Pysyk to a current Sabres defenseman around the Holidays to my friends and I picked Sekera. He's not super big but he sounds very skilled. Of course, that comparison seems outdated since Sekera turned himself into a human highlight reel (and occasionally not that dependable).

The key word for Pysyk might be "smart." Sounds like he understands the game and knows how to play in any situation: PP, PK, and even strength. He had a crazy streak during the season where he was never a "minus" in a game. He'll probably be one of our better blueliners when it comes to making the first pass coming out of our own end. It makes a huge difference having guys who can do that.

I didn't know you were joking either. good stuff.

I'm all for an ECHL affiliate, but they have signed 6 out of 8 of their 2008 picks and figure to sign 4 of 6 of their 2009 class. They have to be inching toward that 50 player limit especially if they to count Zagrapan, Gogulla and Schutz on their reserve list.

What have they been typically carrying in the last couple years, 42-44 of that 50 limit? I'm trying to count these guys off the top of my head and that obviously isn't the greatest approach.

Pirates miss ‘clinching’ opportunity

Published on: 8th April, 2011 by Chris Roy

The Portland Pirates will have to wait another night before claiming hold to the Atlantic Division title.

Jordan Caron scored twice as the Providence Bruins scored five unanswered goals and held off a late surge by the Pirates for a 5-4 win before 8,871 at the Dunkin Donuts Center on Friday night.

Link>>>

Pirates clinch title with shootout victory in Albany

Published on: 9th April, 2011 by Chris Roy

The Portland Pirates are 2010-’11 Atlantic Division Champions.

The Pirates didn’t make it easy on themselves over the course of the last month, but found a way to get the job done as Derek Whitmore scored in the shootout, giving the Pirates a 3-2 win over the Albany Devils before 4,349 at the Times Union Center on Saturday night.

Link>>>

Pirates take a moral victory in OT loss after hectic finish

Published on: 10th April, 2011 by Chris Roy

Portland, ME – It wasn’t just about wins and losses at this point for the Portland Pirates as they played their season finale on home ice on Sunday afternoon.

The Pirates were playing for pride and considered the outcome a moral victory, of sorts, just to cross the finish line to complete a cruel and ridiculous stretch of seven games in nine days despite falling 2-1 in overtime to the Springfield Falcons, wrapping up their regular season before a capacity crowd of 7,051 at the Cumberland County Civic Center.

Link>>>>

Brennan maintained a steady ship in rough waters

Published on: 14th April, 2011 by Chris Roy

At the beginning of the season it would have been ok to blame Portland Pirates defenseman TJ Brennan’s lack of success as just another sophomore slump.

Three goals and a minus-4 rating into the first quarter of the season even left the second-year pro scratching his head and wondering what was going on.

Link>>>

:lol:

I had the chance to talk to some fans at the World Juniors and many were saying that Pysyk is one of the best skaters they've ever seen.

That and a right handed shot.

I'm excited to see him play.

I'm confused? Pysyk wasn't on Team Canada. He got cut.

Pirates-Whale Playoff Preview

Pirates have tough series ahead against the Whale

The Portland Pirates will be looking for only their second win in the playoffs in the last three seasons as Game 1 of the best-of-seven Atlantic Division Semifinal gets underway tonight at the Cumberland County Civic Center.

The Pirates, who enter the playoffs as the No. 1 seed in the Atlantic Division, have struggled over the last month of the season, going 3-6-2 in their last 11 games with only one win in regulation during that span. It won’t be any easier against a Connecticut team they’ve had trouble with all season long only going 3-2-3 in the regular season.

Link>>>>

Pirates strong start gives them series lead

Portland, ME — The Portland Pirates did something they haven’t done in nearly two years.

Win a playoff game.

Even Pirates head coach Kevin Dineen had suffered semi-amnesia as to when the Pirates last won a playoff game.

“Thanks for the reminder on that one,” Dineen said half jokingly.

The Pirates scored three times in the first period against the Connecticut Whale and then held on for a scantly, 3-2, victory before 2,171 at the Cumberland County Civic Center to take a 1-0 lead in the best-of-seven Atlantic Division semifinal series over the Connecticut Whale.

Link>>>>>

You realize 90% of the people here resent the fact that the team left Rochester and is in some no name city in a no name state?

As much as I'd love to have the Buffalo-Rochester affiliation back, Portland is our affiliate right now and they've been as good as we could have hoped for. No need to put them or Wildcat down; he tells us how our "kids" are doing.

Archived