[OT] The Bills

SabresneedaCup

Not only have I not seen a decent pass rush so far this pre-season, I have not seen one in years.....

It used to be that the Bills could not win a pre-season game and yet have a stellar regular season. However, that was many years ago. It's hard not to be cynical about those guys with the way that organization is being run these days. A Sunday comes around between September and December and all I want to do is yawn.

I guess I might as well 1, either root for my wife's Saints, 2, wait until October and hope the Sabres can come up with a playoff-bound season, or 3, do both.

I've been as down on the Bills as anyone, but I will say the following:

1. There is a not insignificant possibility that Gailey and Nix will do a good job and turn this train wreck around. I felt there was zero possibility of that under Jauron and the vacant GM position.

2. I haven't seen a Bills running back make a running play as nice as Spiller's TD the other night in a long, long time. When was the last time the Bills had a running back with that kind of elusiveness? Not since Joe Cribbs, right? Thurman is probably my all-time favorite Buffalo Bill, but he didn't move like that. Antowain Smith? McGahee? Travis "broke daddy" Henry? Lynch? Uh-uh.

The starting line has barely practiced together and played no more than a half of football together. While I'm not expecting them to all be probowlers, I think Wood, Levitre and Hangartner (sp?) can hold their own, let's hope the tackles work out or it will get ugly. If that happens, everyone will get there wish and see a whole bunch of QB's get to play for the Bills this year.

I think they will struggle with pass rushes on the outside. Both OTs are pretty bad, and I doubt Bell ever becomes a franchise LT. Now if the guards have to start helping out on the outside that opens up the QB for blitzes, and that can only end very, very badly. We are probably two OTs away from a decent line.

I will be surprised to have better than a 4-12 season. If by any twist of fate one of those 4 wins is against the Patsies then I will deem this season a success :worthy:

I've been as down on the Bills as anyone, but I will say the following:

1. There is a not insignificant possibility that Gailey and Nix will do a good job and turn this train wreck around. I felt there was zero possibility of that under Jauron and the vacant GM position.

While I still expect them to have a bad record this year; there is a slight possibility that they could surprise us and win more then we think. The big thing I look for this year is that the team is competitive. At least have some fight in their game. Be entertaining. Actually score a few touchdowns in most games. Show us you are actually trying to become a winning team. We didn't see much of that under the last regime.

I've said it on the Bills board and I'll say it here. The team is being prepped to be sold, and not to be made a contender. As long as RW owns the team, it will not progress. Once the team is sold, they will not be long for WNY. RW paid 50k for the team. The new owner will pay over $900 million. How does the new owner get that money back? Not by charging the Bills current avg ticket price of ~$55 and not by increasing player salaries for higher quality players.

The new owner will raise the cost of everything from tickets, to parking, to concessions and the team will probably still suck in the meantime because he wont be able to afford any real talent. Fans will stop going and the team will leave. The NFL does not worry about stadiums being filled with Joe six-packs every week, so dont bother reminding me of how we fill RWS every game with 73k fans. The NFL cares about corporate dollars. Something Buffalo has very little of and is very unlikely to obtain in the future.

Just to throw some fuel on this fire, Buffalo has been ranked the most "dead" city in the nation. This kind of press is not going to help keep the Bills in Buffalo. I love asking this question...If you had (or had access to) a billion dollars, would you buy the Bills and keep them here knowing that you have very limited corporate support and fans that cant afford to pay the amounts of money needed to sustain the operation? For the record, I would not. The 11 season slow-motion train-wreck called the Buffalo Bills continues this year. I think they win 5 games.

Link..

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/live/2010/08/buffalo-no-1-on-dead-cities-list.html

Just to throw some fuel on this fire, Buffalo has been ranked the most "dead" city in the nation.

Hard to argue with the article. Amazing to consider Buffalo was once the 8th largest city in America. My father came to Buffalo from Philadelphia in 1950. He used to say, if you wanted a job in Buffalo, you could get a job between the milling, steel and manufacturing that occurred there. Now, all that is gone. Sad.

While I still expect them to have a bad record this year; there is a slight possibility that they could surprise us and win more then we think. The big thing I look for this year is that the team is competitive. At least have some fight in their game. Be entertaining. Actually score a few touchdowns in most games. Show us you are actually trying to become a winning team. We didn't see much of that under the last regime.

Right on. When RW brought back Jauron before last year, I interpreted that decision as a statement that the organization simply wasn't trying.

I know it's preseason, but damn, these last two weeks have me wondering if Gailey might be the anit-Jauron.

He definitely is, but that doesn't mean a thing when it comes to the standings. No matter what happens though, at least the press conferences will be more entertaining this time around.

Detroit was 4-0 in the preseason the year they went 0-16. :P

Yeah, I remember that well. The thing is, my expectations for this team are at the absolute floor. I've been pleasantly surprised. I mean even Maybin got a couple last night.

The Bills did play far better than for instance the first preseason game against the Skins in DC which was the definition of a putrid and disgusting performance. This time, we played better, especially offensively, where both the O-line, WR's and QB's seemed to make a lot of strides; the pass-protection was for the most part adequate (which is a big upgrade over the way they've played) which gave Trent more time to go through his progressions which easily made him more effective. Of course, the story of the game to me was C.J. Spiller and how he has - not surprisingly at all - emerged as the biggest playmaker on our entire offense. The guy can literally take it to distance on every occasion and thereby presents a vehement challenge for any defense dealing with his speed and vision.

That being, I simply can't ignore the incontrovertible fact that both our defense and our Special teams looked utterly abysmal for the most part; defensively, we struggled hugely with our first unit which was underlined by the fact that the Bengals scored on two TD's on three drives and basically played trick and treat with our defense. ST look nothing like what we've come to expect here in Buffalo after being spoiled with by April's brilliant units over the years.

The Bills did play far better than for instance the first preseason game against the Skins in DC which was the definition of a putrid and disgusting performance. This time, we played better, especially offensively, where both the O-line, WR's and QB's seemed to make a lot of strides; the pass-protection was for the most part adequate (which is a big upgrade over the way they've played) which gave Trent more time to go through his progressions which easily made him more effective. Of course, the story of the game to me was C.J. Spiller and how he has - not surprisingly at all - emerged as the biggest playmaker on our entire offense. The guy can literally take it to distance on every occasion and thereby presents a vehement challenge for any defense dealing with his speed and vision.

That being, I simply can't ignore the incontrovertible fact that both our defense and our Special teams looked utterly abysmal for the most part; defensively, we struggled hugely with our first unit which was underlined by the fact that the Bengals scored on two TD's on three drives and basically played trick and treat with our defense. ST look nothing like what we've come to expect here in Buffalo after being spoiled with by April's brilliant units over the years.

The Bills have more to be excited over right now than the Sabres.

PTR

Now if they can get the defense and special teams to start playing.

I think DeHaven will have them in shape by opening day. Maybe I wasn't paying attention -- when did he come back? Please don't say 2006 or something. Just this season, right?

Archived