[OT] The Bills

SabresneedaCup

Put a better QB in the huddle and see how much better the o-line gets. There were plenty (by NFL standards) of open receivers on Sunday that Edwards had time to hit and just refused to throw the ball. It's not that Edwards can't find them it's more that he has refused to throw the ball unless the guy is wide open. This is the NFL, on only a handful of plays are receivers running open. In the NFL if a receiver has a quarter step on a defender he is wide open.

We're agreed on this based on the fact that I yelled this out loud at my tv several times. Throw it down the field and let the receiver make the play. All I can think of is Oddball from Kelly's Heroes: "have a little faith baby, have a little faith". Edwards has no confidence in his receivers and it shows in his lack of willingness to throw to them.

It was the last play of the game,... only a touchdown will do,... with eighty yards to go,...

...and Trent throws a five yard checkdown pass.

I just don't get it.

Dick Jouron has completely mind f**cked this kid beyond repair. Edwards is thinking that he doesn't want to turn the ball over on the last play of the game.

I have a bigger question for you. Why is there a receiver within five yards of the line of scrimmage on the last play of the game and 80 yards to go? It is one thing to complain why is Edwards throwing to Evans 1 yard past the line of scrimmage on 3rd and 12, the real question is when is Evans running a one yard pattern on 3rd and 12? This coaching staff needs to take away Edwards comfort zone. Fine any receiver $5K that catches a ball that is not beyond the 1st down marker.

If this teams strongest assets are the running backs? Why throw the ball at all. Pound Lynch and Jackson for the 1st three quarters and then put in your home run hitter in Spiller in the fourth quarter when the defense is worn down. Sometimes the answer is the easiest option.

It was the last play of the game,... only a touchdown will do,... with eighty yards to go,...

...and Trent throws a five yard checkdown pass.

I just don't get it.

This has been going on for years, not just in Buffalo. It's the hockey equivalent of being down 2-1, pulling the goalie, allowing an empty netter with 45 seconds to play, then putting the goalie back in. Seen Mindy do that many a time. It's called quitting.

I still don't get the safety strategy.

Dick Jouron has completely mind f**cked this kid beyond repair. Edwards is thinking that he doesn't want to turn the ball over on the last play of the game.

I have a bigger question for you. Why is there a receiver within five yards of the line of scrimmage on the last play of the game and 80 yards to go?

They didn't have a prayer of throwing long into the wind, especially with the inept Edwards out there. I'm guessing they assumed their only shot was one of those crazy lateral plays. The problem was that Miami actually had someone covering that short pass (well, other than that other serious problem named Edwards).

They didn't have a prayer of throwing long into the wind, especially with the inept Edwards out there. I'm guessing they assumed their only shot was one of those crazy lateral plays. The problem was that Miami actually had someone covering that short pass (well, other than that other serious problem named Edwards).

Laterals aside, there is no way to justify a 5 yard pass in that situation. None.

Laterals aside, there is no way to justify a 5 yard pass in that situation. None.

And there's no way to justify about 95% of what happened in that game. The most telling thing about the trainwreck that is Trent Edwards was the fact that Miami was actually covering Nelson 5 yards down the field on that play.

And there's no way to justify about 95% of what happened in that game. The most telling thing about the trainwreck that is Trent Edwards was the fact that Miami was actually covering Nelson 5 yards down the field on that play.

This is probably the best piece of football analysis I've heard all week. I mean it.

Yep. For the same reason he passed on a 40yd FG into the wind and went for a 60+ yarder with it. Morman under a rush at the goaline would probably get the ball to the 30, which with the wind was an automatic FG for Miami if they went 3 and out. Miami touchback with 20 seconds left and winning by 6 at best for Bills. By giving Moorman 30 extra yards and no rush....they hung it to try and catch the wind and a bobble. A longshot, but if it works they need to drive 60yds for a TD with 1:30 on the clock instead of 60yds for a FG attempt with 20 seconds on the clock. If they go for it, they still need to go 70yds for a FG attempt. They don't make it, game over.

It wasn't a brilliant move...it wasn't a bad move....it was a consistant and thoughtful move, so I'll give him props.

At the end you just get the ball into someone's hands and hope they make a break. Edwards was at his best when Josh Reed was his #1 receiver. He trusted him to run his route and get open. He hit 15 yd outs, slants....a lot more anticipation routes on Edwards part. Nelson needs to be that guy because Evans is not capable. One of the reasons I think Edwards doesn't launch it is because Evans has cost him 4 or 5 INTs by loafing the past few years. I don't think those 2 like each other so unless it's a sure thing on a fly.....he checks. It still doesn't excuse all his gunshy play.....but I like Edwards. At worst he should be a #1 career backup for 10 years. I just figured he'd be at least as good as Fergy by this point.

I've enjoyed the attack you've faced for your thoughts on the spanish reporter controversy. The overreaction to the burka comment was great.

That place is something else. At least now I have a little more insight into why Tim Graham and Lori left. When they start swarming you really have to hold on tight to your own sense of reality. If you can do that, it's actually kind of fun to sit back and watch the crazy unfold.

That place is something else. At least now I have a little more insight into why Tim Graham and Lori left. When they start swarming you really have to hold on tight to your own sense of reality. If you can do that, it's actually kind of fun to sit back and watch the crazy unfold.

What surprised me is that even Wawrow went after it for year. You made an extreme exaggeration for the sake of making a point. I would have assumed that most writers would be more than aware of that practice.

What surprised me is that even Wawrow went after it for year. You made an extreme exaggeration for the sake of making a point. I would have assumed that most writers would be more than aware of that practice.

Absolutely. Not only that, but he goes on the offensive at the drop of a hat. I would think as a writer that he would engage more in the give and take of an argument to get the whole story. The first time you question "his all-knowing highness" he starts in with the name calling. Very confusing. I think he needs a hug.

I made a $5 bet with a coworker, I gave him the Bills against the Pack and Pats and I gave him 60 points for the combined two games. I truly think rock bottom is coming for this franchise. 0-16 is a real possibility.

I'm betting the Bills.

They play more loose on the road. Edwards has had most of his best games away.

Gailey admitted his mistakes this week which was refreshing. Freddy is your go-to guy.

I predict fans will be more heartbroken that the Bills almost pulled off an upset but just missed.

GB 23 Buf 19

I didn't think they could possibly be worse than last year, but here we are. I don't think I can watch another game with Edwards under center.

Is Edwards the core problem? I don't know that the second coming of Joe Montana could do anything behind that line.

Is Edwards the core problem? I don't know that the second coming of Joe Montana could do anything behind that line.

It's Trent. He is the worst in the NFL. He will never start for another team besides the Bills. Once he is off the team, you will never hear from him again.

It's Trent. He is the worst in the NFL. He will never start for another team besides the Bills. Once he is off the team, you will never hear from him again.

Just like Rob Johnson and JP. How bad does our management look with only Drew Bledsoe to get excited about in recent history?

The o line is a disaster though. I'd say they share equal blame with Trent.

There comes a time where you have to throw a ball into a bit of coverage. Edwards refuses to throw to someone unless they're ridiculously wide open. Just look at some of those passes Rodgers threw today that were right at one of our corners but in a spot where only the receiver had a shot at the catch. Edwards is terrified of throwing a pick and at this point, I can't see him ever getting over it. I know they're pretty much hopeless no matter who is back there, but I wish they'd throw Brohm to the wolves. He's probably nothing too, but he's the only one on this roster who has any potential left.

There comes a time where you have to throw a ball into a bit of coverage. Edwards refuses to throw to someone unless they're ridiculously wide open. Just look at some of those passes Rodgers threw today that were right at one of our corners but in a spot where only the receiver had a shot at the catch. Edwards is terrified of throwing a pick and at this point, I can't see him ever getting over it. I know they're pretty much hopeless no matter who is back there, but I wish they'd throw Brohm to the wolves. He's probably nothing too, but he's the only one on this roster who has any potential left.

I agree 100%. It's 4th down and 10 or whatever, you're down by 20 whatever points, there are only a few minutes left and you scramble out of bounds for 2 yards? Just take 3 steps and throw it up for grabs - what does it matter?

Archived