[OT] The Bills

SabresneedaCup

I have a strange, unfamiliar feeling of guarded optimism about the Bills. I kind of like the looks of Chan Gailey, and I still can't forget how good Edwards looked very early in his career. The Bills might just be watchable and respectable -- and who knows where that can lead.

I have a strange, unfamiliar feeling of guarded optimism about the Bills. I kind of like the looks of Chan Gailey, and I still can't forget how good Edwards looked very early in his career. The Bills might just be watchable and respectable -- and who knows where that can lead.

i agree im very excited. the bills are due. its time for a surprise run. im thinkin wildcard.

hey guys i was just wonderin what you guys think of the bills and football in general. i know this is a hockey forum but i thought it would be intersting to hear peoples opinions about the bills.

I think Buff'lo's a drinking town w/ a football problem.

I'm still thinking 0-16. No QB, only 1 wide receiver and their below average offensive line has injury problems. We are at the beginning of a long stretch of seasons with 10+ losses.

You can turn any QB into a SB-serviceable QB as long as you have an O-line. Sadly, what Buffalo rolls out there in the post Polian, Post Kelly era as an O-line is a travesty. Can't pass block, can't run block, injury-plagued, penalty plagued, no skill players... I think 6-10 is achievable, 7-9, possible, 8-8 over achieving and 9-7 unthinkable. I hope they make me eat my words. I'll be rooting for them.

hey guys i was just wonderin what you guys think of the bills and football in general. i know this is a hockey forum but i thought it would be intersting to hear peoples opinions about the bills.

people in western new york have been getting jerked around by this poor organization forever. and yet it is amazing how many still attend games.its kinda sad.--the bills have some talent but mostly in the wrong positions.the mediocre QB edwards will be hurt by game 5 max.the mediocre d front 7 is enough to lose the bills their usual 9-11 games this year.--they wont be bottom dwellers like many of the pundits think because they do have some remarkable talent in the d backfield and other talent around the edges.

under present ownership the bills have no chance.when ralph does make a mistake and hires a good coach or GM they of course get fired.

when ralph dies the bills likely move.

It's the first time in a decade that I didn't buy the Sunday Ticket.

...thereby guaranteeing them a playoff birth.

I've never bought Sunday Ticket.

I hope you're right in that they may get a playoff berth, but I'm not counting on it at all.

You can turn any QB into a SB-serviceable QB as long as you have an O-line. Sadly, what Buffalo rolls out there in the post Polian, Post Kelly era as an O-line is a travesty. Can't pass block, can't run block, injury-plagued, penalty plagued, no skill players... I think 6-10 is achievable, 7-9, possible, 8-8 over achieving and 9-7 unthinkable. I hope they make me eat my words. I'll be rooting for them.

That is simply not true. Dilfer does it once and it becomes so? I wonder exactly how many Super Bowl winning QB's are in the hall of fame and how many are not? I'm too lazy to look it up.

pretty easy to figure this team out....

3 most important things for a football team

1) QB

2) O line

3) Pressure on QB

3 weakest areas on Bills

1) QB

2) Oline

3) No pass pressure

what do you get, a lot of losses....

actually, the bills do you have decent pass rush, id say run defense is higher on the list of problems.

That is simply not true. Dilfer does it once and it becomes so? I wonder exactly how many Super Bowl winning QB's are in the hall of fame and how many are not? I'm too lazy to look it up.

Where did I say winning SB QBs?.. The SB has been ripe with serviceable QBs: Doug Williams, Woodley, McMahon, Rypien, Chandler, Dilfer, Collins, Brad Johnson, Delhomme, Grossman, Neil O'Donnell, Stan Humphries, Hostetler, Eason, Ferragamo,

In regard to your inquiry on football in general, I think the most interesting storyline this season doesn't have anything to do with the outcomes of games. I'm not sure if any of you caught the most recent "Real Sports w/ Bryan Gumbel" but there was a superb piece on the recent discoveries of the links of repeated head trauma and ALS.

It appears that a doctor in Boston, Dr. Ann McKee, has discovered a pattern in ALS sufferers who were athletes by finding the presence of toxins, produced by the brain following extensive brain trauma, in the spinal chord. I'm really interested to see how the league, and our country in general, reacts to this. The breakview, obvious ly, is terrific. I guess I'm wondering if people will be turned off by football because of the revelation of more permanent and lethal brain and spinal chord injury? More importantly, how will the league respond to these findings?

All I will say is this team, with all of its problems and brain-dead coaching, still managed to win an average of 7 games in each of the last 3 years. It's very obvious to me Chan Gailey and Buddy Nix finally have the team moving in the right direction. The Bills only have to improve by 3 wins to be in the running for a playoff spot. Not impossible.

PTR

All I will say is this team, with all of its problems and brain-dead coaching, still managed to win an average of 7 games in each of the last 3 years. It's very obvious to me Chan Gailey and Buddy Nix finally have the team moving in the right direction. The Bills only have to improve by 3 wins to be in the running for a playoff spot. Not impossible.

PTR

Not impossible, but not likely either. My gut feel is that they end up 6-10, teams w/ new coaching staffs and schemes rarely get the hang of them the 1st year. Hopefully I am tremendously underestimating them, but I'm fine w/ a rough year this year if it brings a good draft position for next season (whenever that is). I just hope that if a real QB isn't currently on the team that they trade for one or sign a quality FA; a rookie stud might be better in the long run, but I don't want to wait the 2-3 years for the rookie stud to pan out (or as recent Bills history would suggest, not pan out).

Our O-line is below average at best, I agree.

However, we were one of the better teams in the League last year in Rushing, and we just added CJ Spiller. Run blocking is NOT an issue with this team.

Pass blocking and staying healthy is more along the lines of why we won't be going to the playoffs, although I must admit the starting 5 did not look too awfully bad last week, and if they can manage to stay healthy, may be serviceable. Levitre looks to be the weak link, but hopefully he'll watch film and correct his short-comings. He's not the far away.

The whole gotta have a offensive line thin has become tired and cliche. You don't need to have 1st round picks and big free agent signees to have a serviceable line.

I don't care if the whole line was comprised of undrafted guys as long as they can give the QB a chance to throw. These QBs are still getting rushed way too much and with the talent of all 3, that won't cut it..

I don't care if the whole line were comprised of undrafted guys as long as they can give the QB a chance to throw. These QBs are still getting rushed way to much and with the talent of all 3, that won't cut it..

The starting line has barely practiced together and played no more than a half of football together. While I'm not expecting them to all be probowlers, I think Wood, Levitre and Hangartner (sp?) can hold their own, let's hope the tackles work out or it will get ugly. If that happens, everyone will get there wish and see a whole bunch of QB's get to play for the Bills this year.

In regard to your inquiry on football in general, I think the most interesting storyline this season doesn't have anything to do with the outcomes of games. I'm not sure if any of you caught the most recent "Real Sports w/ Bryan Gumbel" but there was a superb piece on the recent discoveries of the links of repeated head trauma and ALS.

It appears that a doctor in Boston, Dr. Ann McKee, has discovered a pattern in ALS sufferers who were athletes by finding the presence of toxins, produced by the brain following extensive brain trauma, in the spinal chord. I'm really interested to see how the league, and our country in general, reacts to this. The breakview, obvious ly, is terrific. I guess I'm wondering if people will be turned off by football because of the revelation of more permanent and lethal brain and spinal chord injury? More importantly, how will the league respond to these findings?

The silence speaks louder than words. Hard to feel much sympathy when they get paid millions upon millions of dollars to play a game. No technological breakthrough will alleviate the problem, and no one wants to watch flag football.

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Archived