Free Agent Frenzy

spndnchz

I'm not convinced that they had any intention of keeping either of the Lydman-Tallinder combo.

Agreed on Tallinder, but I think they wanted Lyds for the right amount and term. They blew their chance by not making an offer until 2 days before free agency.

I think you're probably right, but if that is the case, why extend an offer at all? It seems like just a way to CYA so he can tell all of us that he tried, but it's insulting to the player when the offer isn't even legitimate.

Because it's probably common courtesy to put something on the table as a way of saying "hey, if nothing else works out we'll be your backup plan". I don't see it so much as insulting as a way of saying we aren't flat out throwing you to the curb. They probably never intended to bring them back, but there's no reason not to throw an offer out there that might be workable as a starting point for future negotiations if it comes back to that. I think Darcy and these two both knew they'd get better offers from other clubs though. No harm in admitting that.

I think you're probably right, but if that is the case, why extend an offer at all? It seems like just a way to CYA so he can tell all of us that he tried, but it's insulting to the player when the offer isn't even legitimate.

This is such a tough game to play because we have no idea what goes on with those negotiations. Both sides say offers have been made, but how formal was it? Was there any discussion between Darcy and the players that said that either the team wants to go another way or the player wants to move on? I can come up with a million questions. All we know is that the comments from Lydman-Tallinder after signing were all positive and they seem fine with the way things played out. That's enough for me.

If that's the case, then +1. Purely a PR move for the fans that makes them look cheap and uncaring to other free agents.

rumor mill says Buffalo is looking at Colaiacovo and Krajicek now. Not thrilled about the latter in any way.

Forgive my ignorance but where does Krajicek play presently? and if you're not thrilled w/ him, is he a puss on D or what?

Toronto talking with Afinogenov. That's JUST what Buffalo needs, a renewed Mad Max playing in the division with something to prove to Lindy and the Sabres.

Does Max strike you as the kind of player who can elevate the Leafs out of the basement? He doesn't strike me that way.

Does Max strike you as the kind of player who can elevate the Leafs out of the basement? He doesn't strike me that way.

Did I say that? No. Don't put words in my mouth. But should they sign him, they will have upgraded their offense quite dramatically over the last year by adding him along with Kessel & Versteeg. Armstrong, Kulemin and Grabovski aren't exactly "gifted offensive players" but it's a good set of role players.

They might not lead the league in scoring, but Phaneuf, Beauchemin, Komisarek, and an older Luke Schenn combine to form one of the strongest defenses in the league, backstopped by Giguere, who is still a solid #1 goalie. If they hang on to Kaberle, that's almost scary.

If Burke thinks he has something that can help his team I wouldn't question it.

the guy has one Cup to his credit in his 2nd year with the Ducks. Beyond that - nothing. Since when is he the gold standard for anything?

the guy has one Cup to his credit in his 2nd year with the Ducks. Beyond that - nothing. Since when is he the gold standard for anything?

He also built a team that came VERY close to winning gold at the Olympics, which would have been seen as one of the biggest moments in US Hockey since 1980 I assume.

Burke is a architect that builds the type of teams I have an appreciation for. And, that one Stanley Cup? Gives him a huge benefit of the doubt that Regier has not earned.

He also built a team that came VERY close to winning gold at the Olympics, which would have been seen as one of the biggest moments in US Hockey since 1980 I assume.

Would have won the Gold if his goalie wouldn't have let in that soft goal.

Good call.

Would have won the Gold if his goalie wouldn't have let in that soft goal.

######.

Burke is a architect that builds the type of teams I have an appreciation for. And, that one Stanley Cup? Gives him a huge benefit of the doubt that Regier has not earned.

Actually he was let go in Vancouver because his teams were able to win only one playoff series and the team was thought to be too soft and under achieving.

Archived