Free Agent Frenzy

spndnchz

Stevens, Holik, Niedermayer, Patrik Elias, Petr Sykora, Jason Arnott, Alexander Mogilny, Brian Rafalski, John Madden, Scott Gomez.

So, who's the middle of the road guy there?

Who's the 60-goal scorer?

And I did not say I wanted a middle-of-the-road guy.

Get it now?

We've got some pretty good two-way players and they cost more than 3 mil. Good luck with that.

This is just the perpetuation of the Lindy myth,"Ya gotta roll four lines." You only "roll four lines" when you don't have a number one line.

We've got some pretty good two-way players and they cost more than 3 mil. Good luck with that.

This is just the perpetuation of the Lindy myth,"Ya gotta roll four lines." You only "roll four lines" when you don't have a number one line.

You roll four lines when you have depth. Which this team does not.

Lindy's myth?

Here are a few quotes from the SC finals:

"We have a lot of depth. That's one of the things we pride ourselves on, we have all year," Madden said. "So we rolled four lines in the third and we were able to produce another goal, that's the way it is. The top line's not going to score every night of the week and you've got to be able to pick them up, so we did it tonight."
coach Joel Quenneville said. "We had all four lines bringing it and fed off the noise of the crowd and took advantage of it."
Chicago forward Patrick Sharp said. "It doesn't concern us. We've said all playoffs long, we don't care who scores the goals as long as we get the wins. We have four lines that can contribute offensively and that's why we're here."

And finally: Mike Richards' post-game interview (0:45):

"Final one for you, Mike, is there anything that you looked at in this series that was the difference between these two teams?"

"They had four lines going, we had three."

The Sabres need a better top line, but you need four good lines to win it all.

[/b]

You roll four lines when you have depth. Which this team does not.

Correct. We ALL loved it when they rolled four lines a few years ago. It's depth that I'm looking for, rather than one big line and three mediocre ones.

EDIT: How much did Drury, Dumont, Campbell, Briere cost when they were here? Gotta go find two or there more like them. Not one Kovy.

All you're saying is that you'd rather take the approach the Sabres take, with zero Cups, over the approach New Jersey takes, with several Cups (heat stroke is preventing me from knowing the number, two or three I think) and looking for more. Enjoy the ride.

PA Was that you living with your deceased sister and husbands bodies?

The real myth is that there is only one way to win.

Correct. We ALL loved it when they rolled four lines a few years ago. It's depth that I'm looking for, rather than one big line and three mediocre ones.

EDIT: How much did Drury, Dumont, Campbell, Briere cost when they were here? Gotta go find two or there more like them. Not one Kovy.

this is nonsense. according to you then we should not have signed vanek at 7 mil then. theres no doubt that kovalwoodchuk would make this team better.

this is nonsense. according to you then we should not have signed vanek at 7 mil then. theres no doubt that kovalwoodchuk would make this team better.

I totally agree, but to be fair, I think most will agree that Vanek is not worth 7 mil -- they also will agree that the front office just absolutely could not let him go after losing Danny and Chris. It was a sticky situation and looking back, I'd rather have the draft picks, but you can't really blame Darcy for that one. hindsight is 20/20

I totally agree, but to be fair, I think most will agree that Vanek is not worth 7 mil -- they also will agree that the front office just absolutely could not let him go after losing Danny and Chris. It was a sticky situation and looking back, I'd rather have the draft picks, but you can't really blame Darcy for that one. hindsight is 20/20

i agree with you about sort of having to sign vanek, but i disagree with you saying hes not worth the 7 mil, yes he had an off year this year, but hes an elite player when he plays to his potential.

i agree with you about sort of having to sign vanek, but i disagree with you saying hes not worth the 7 mil, yes he had an off year this year, but hes an elite player when he plays to his potential.

I hope so! He certainly showed flashes of it towards the end of the last season and the few playoff games he was in. I do believe the Sabres would have beaten Boston with Vanek in the lineup but we'll never know. It'd be great if he came out this year and scored 40 again.. it'd also be great if they signed Kovalchuk, and the both of them potted 40 a la Lafontaine and Mogilny!

yeah vanek is beast hes gettin 40 this year, kovalwoodchuk would be a great pickup. did lafontaine ever get 40 goals? i dont think he did.

that's going a ways back for me, i was only 2 or 3 at the time and had no understanding of hockey, but i think i've seen on stat sheets that he scored 40 once. could be wrong.

Lindy's myth?

Here are a few quotes from the SC finals:

And finally: Mike Richards' post-game interview (0:45):

The Sabres need a better top line, but you need four good lines to win it all.

It's easy to roll four if you have the lead. I'll bet they weren't rolling four when they needed a goal.

When the Sabres need a goal late, what do we get? Adam Mair, with Vanek on the bench.

Archived