Free Agent Frenzy

spndnchz

I'm still shaking my head over Volchenkov at $4.25. That is a great value for what he brings to the rink. The Sabres couldn't get that deal done or even better it?

I am so with you on your thoughts. How do we not better that?

Marty was the first signing today, signing right out of the gate. It really looks like he took the first offer he got and immediately ran with it.

Every team had the exact same chance to sign him. Including the Sabres.

Not too much of an excuse. We needed a back up. He was the ideal choice.

We missed the boat.

Just listened to the Darcy presser.

Jordan Leopold and Mike Weber is what we can expect as defensive additions.

Gragnani is ready to step in and play some games and has serious offensive up side.

(I firmly believe Sekera and/or Butler are gone by next season)

He indicated he went after a couple of offensive names, didn't happen.

He didn't state anything about going after some more players in the days to come (I wouldn't tip my hand either)

He did clearly indicate he is open to any offer to change the character or shake up the make up of this team via trade.

Gragnani is ready to step in and play some games and has serious offensive up side.

He didn't state anything about going after some more players in the days to come (I wouldn't tip my hand either)

He did clearly indicate he is open to any offer to change the character or shake up the make up of this team via trade.

THey went after Koivu..Glad they didnt get him we need big and good up the middle we have enuff small and fake...

Based on Darcy's interview w/ GR. He's done defensively he is looking towards Portland for 1-2 Dmen. He's talking to forwards in re price and term. I guess this is his master plan, promote from within. "Nothing sitting on the front burner right now" :wallbash:

You have to love a GM that admits his failures. If only there were someone to hold him accountable for his failures.

I love the experts who say the big winners were Ottawa, NJ, Pitt & Vancouver.

Ottawa signs a Pitt player.

NJ signs an Ottawa player (& Tallinder).

Pitt signs a NJ player (OK - they did also sign Michalek).

Van signs a Pitt player (& Malhotra & a couple other minor additions).

So for the most part those 4 teams kinda just swapped parts.

NJ got a solid backup tender as well.

Vancouver also got Ballard in a deal last week. The Canucks blue line is 10 times better than it was a week ago.

The Ottawa one is the real confusing one. Their blueline just got a lot older and they also lost a center. I have no problem with the others.

The Ottawa one is the real confusing one. Their blueline just got a lot older and they also lost a center. I have no problem with the others.

Yea, I'm not sure what Detroit is thinking having Lidstrom and Rafalski still playing :rolleyes:

Elite, puck moving offensive dmen can play well into their 30's.

Gonchar will help Ottawa move the puck up the ice MUCH more efficiently than last season. Not too mention the improvements he will bring to the PP.

Clouston utilizes a team strategy that demands his forwards act in a physical manner. Murray sacrificed some grit in the back end, but he has enough up front to make up for it.

Just our luck, we don't get the guy who knocked the other guy out. We get the guy knocked out. God forbid the Sabres have any player that shows any type of aggression.

They do. He just can't cross the border right now.

NJ got a solid backup tender as well.

For the 8 games he will play.

Vancouver also got Ballard in a deal last week. The Canucks blue line is 10 times better than it was a week ago.

Last week was not part of the first day of ufa signings.

The money wasn't the problem, they didn't want to sign a 33 year old player for 3 years. They probably would have given him more money for less years.
So, the same terms that Lydman signed for. If Leopold is better than Tony then I give Darcy credit for making a nice swap (I don't know enough about Leopold to make a judgment one way or the other).

truthfully? i had no idea lydman was 33. so, if it's a leopold for lydman swap -- two lefties, same size, roughly same stat lines (although leopold's +/- ain't great), lydman with maybe a little more physicality, leopold with better wheels -- then i reckon we did fine to get a guy who's 4 years younger.

Sabres newest defenseman will tell you that Sutton is a high impact player.

ouch.

Enroth is an option.

Lalime next season and Enroth the season after that. I'm sure this one is a no brainer in Darcy's mind.

i don't get that at all, if that is their thinking. it's penny-wise, pound-foolish.

enroth's not a kid anymore, but he's still the sort of asset that you want to be killing it in the minors so that he becomes an appreciating asset that you could use to get something you need. unless they're going to commit to giving the guy 20-25 games, there's no point in designating him as our backup.

having lalime back means that miller plays another ~70 games, which, after the unique 09-10 that he had means that we're risking a step-back year for him (i think the olympics brought out a focus in miller that he may struggle to repeat and recapture). for this team, even a small step back for miller would put us in 10th.

in the words of bill simmons, i will now light myself on fire.

Yea, I'm not sure what Detroit is thinking having Lidstrom and Rafalski still playing :rolleyes:

Elite, puck moving offensive dmen can play well into their 30's.

Gonchar will help Ottawa move the puck up the ice MUCH more efficiently than last season. Not too mention the improvements he will bring to the PP.

Clouston utilizes a team strategy that demands his forwards act in a physical manner. Murray sacrificed some grit in the back end, but he has enough up front to make up for it.

Ottawa's biggest problems last year were goaltending and their lack of depth up front behind their top 3.5 forwards (I'm counting Kovalev as that .5). Nothing's changed there. But they lose their best defenseman and sign a 36 year old who has played 80-something games over the last two seasons and all of a sudden it's a huge gain for them. I just don't get it.

Who said anything was inaccurate? I said it was a stretch to make a point that the team should have picked "the other guy" of one particular hit.

Not at all. They are both free agents. One is seen as more of a "skill" guy and the other is "physical." We know which one Regier did and always would pick.

Archived