Free Agent Frenzy

spndnchz

Actually he was let go in Vancouver because his teams were able to win only one playoff series and the team was thought to be too soft and under achieving.

This would be correct. And Toms feelings are shared by many, I was a bit skeptical myself on Burke before he began to make moves with Toronto. But tom, if you look at how Burke has gone about transforming the Leafs, I for one find it very interesting indeed. Forget analyzing it, he has made sacrifices and the team is improving. He is building around Kessel, and rightfully so. Buffalo builds their line 1 around Vanek, and also, rightfully so.

This would be correct. And Toms feelings are shared by many, I was a bit skeptical myself on Burke before he began to make moves with Toronto. But tom, if you look at how Burke has gone about transforming the Leafs, I for one find it very interesting indeed. Forget analyzing it, he has made sacrifices and the team is improving. He is building around Kessel, and rightfully so. Buffalo builds their line 1 around Vanek, and also, rightfully so.

Didn't Burke draft the Sedin twins and trade Mogilny for Brendan Morrison? I wouldn't consider his time in Vancouver a failure just unfinished.

Didn't Burke draft the Sedin twins and trade Mogilny for Brendan Morrison? I wouldn't consider his time in Vancouver a failure just unfinished.

Opinions are like stats, you can shape them to say anything you want. You said he built teams you liked but that team was considered soft, so how can you say he buids the kind of teams you like?

Per Hockeybuzz ... Kaberle to Sabres? I wish I had my hands on the high-grade weed that Eck apparently does. If we pulled off a trade for Kaberle - who I don't think is going anywhere, anytime soon, I would run naked around Niagara Square with chicken wings hanging from my junk and a beef on weck in my mouth.

Well, what more do you expect from a guy who digs for gold in Acapulco?

Opinions are like stats, you can shape them to say anything you want. You said he built teams you liked but that team was considered soft, so how can you say he buids the kind of teams you like?

Say what you want about his team being soft but in my opinion he's done a great job transforming Toronto from a bottom feeder to (likely) a competitor. Only time will tell if Kessel and Versteeg pan out for them, but the potential is there. IF Toronto adds another scoring forward (like Max as was previously mentioned), I wouldn't be surprised at all to see them finish ahead of Buffalo. Especially if they hang on to Kaberle, which I would if I were in their position.

honestly right now, outside of Miller and Myers I would trade Buffalo's whole roster for Toronto's full roster in a heartbeat.

I usually look at PPG and more importantly PPA. He's not on the top of that list.

Although he seems to have a pretty high percentage shot @ 10-15%.

This probably means nothing in the grand scheme of things, but now we have back-to-back Hobey Baker winners on the team. Leopold won it the year after Millsy did.

You might want to take a closer look, you memory must be going. His teams had Bertuzzi, Morrison, Klatt, a guy named Matt Cooke? Guys like Messier and Linden, even if in the later stages? A young punk named Jarko Ruutu? His teams did not lack for toughness.

I have to ask this question. Does Leopold count as one of the moves you thought Regier would make? If the off-season consists of Leopold and a third or forth line forward will you express the disappointment you indicated previously?

I'll make this promise again. If Regier comes up with a big time move, and I mean big time like Kaberle, Kovi, Frolov, Gagne, Savard or a player of similar quality, I will not include a opinion that mentions Regier or the Sabres GM until next season playoffs are over. If Regier can shut me up I will man up and let him be after I acknowledge a good job.

These reports that Wang is offering Kovalchuk $100 million over 10 years are hilarious. That guy is an absolute imbecile. 10 years to Yashin blew up in his face. 15 years to DiPietro blew up in his face. You'd think he would have learned something from it.

hey somewhat off-topic and probably stupid question but a lot of rumor sites and twitter posters all seem to infer that nothing will happen over the holiday weekend, saying things like 'before things slow down for the weekend' and 'it will be monday before a deal gets done.' Is there some type of 'pause' on transactions because of the holiday?

I have to ask this question. Does Leopold count as one of the moves you thought Regier would make? If the off-season consists of Leopold and a third or forth line forward will you express the disappointment you indicated previously?

I'll make this promise again. If Regier comes up with a big time move, and I mean big time like Kaberle, Kovi, Frolov, Gagne, Savard or a player of similar quality, I will not include a opinion that mentions Regier or the Sabres GM until next season playoffs are over. If Regier can shut me up I will man up and let him be after I acknowledge a good job.

I will be very disappointed if this is all they do. I don't believe it will be.

I'd check with SDS to be sure, but I'm pretty sure we're allowed to write opinions when we like something.

It's all just opinion on the board it's just certain members feel their opinion trumps all other opinions. On another note Gagne has waived his no-trade clause so we'll get to see Darcy pass on another quality player that will go to another team.

These reports that Wang is offering Kovalchuk $100 million over 10 years are hilarious. That guy is an absolute imbecile. 10 years to Yashin blew up in his face. 15 years to DiPietro blew up in his face. You'd think he would have learned something from it.

It may be crazy, may be ill advised but at least it's something. Here we are again so beaten down by status quo that we are looking down at a owner who actually is trying to do something? WTF! The man owns a NHL franchise and has a boat load of money and wants to use it on a very very good player. If it happens good for him and good for the Islander fans. Will it make a difference, probably not, at least it's not Leopold and McCormick.

It's all just opinion on the board it's just certain members feel their opinion trumps all other opinions. On another note Gagne has waived his no-trade clause so we'll get to see Darcy pass on another quality player that will go to another team.

Actually the problem seems to be more about opinion being stated as fact.

It may be crazy, may be ill advised but at least it's something. Here we are again so beaten down by status quo that we are looking down at a owner who actually is trying to do something? WTF! The man owns a NHL franchise and has a boat load of money and wants to use it on a very very good player. If it happens good for him and good for the Islander fans. Will it make a difference, probably not, at least it's not Leopold and McCormick.

If you want moves for the sake of moves, why aren't you a Rangers fan?

Typical Regierian response, it's not the individual moves it's the ideas behind the moves. Sabre fans are so beaten down by status quo that the idea of actually acquiring talented hockey players is considered "moves for the sake of moves."

Sather is the anti-Darcy. I'd be happy with someone in between.

I would also add Darryl Sutter to the list of making moves for the sake of making moves. I don't know what he was smoking this offseason, but :blink: .

Archived