Free Agent Frenzy

spndnchz

The point is Darcy isn't going anywhere, so as long as he is the GM the analogy stands. Even with a new GM I don't ever see the Sabres being big players in free agency with Quinn and Golisano in charge.

Sanity to me is not holding out in false hope year after year after year that Darcy will make a big splash in free agency.

Voicing displeasure with a failure to act and actually expecting action to occur are two completely different things which YOU insist on lumping together. I don't know that anyone voicing their displeasure actually EXPECTED Darcy to do anything other than what he has done.

And whether Darcy is hamstrung by Quinn/Golisano or if our current inaction is Darcy's call won't be known until Darcy is gone and his replacement in place.

Based on Darcy's history, I suspect our current inaction is mostly due to Darcy

I'd much rather work out a trade instead of going the route of losing the 4 first round picks it would take. That is the only route that would eliminate Anaheim's say in the matter.

Ah yes, he is Tier 1. But, I'll take him for the 4 firsts any day. With him in the line up those aren't going to be top 12 picks.

So ya, I would say the reward out ways the risk in this case.

Ah yes, he is Tier 1. But, I'll take him for the 4 firsts any day. With him in the line up those aren't going to be top 12 picks.

So ya, I would say the reward out ways the risk in this case.

There's still that wild card of will they/won't they match it with Anaheim for anyone who tries to sign him. A trade is the only way to effectively eliminate that option. Quite honestly, short of something completely absurd, there is no offer out there that Anaheim won't match.

Buffalo Signs McCormick

One yr. deal worth $500,000. Cody McCormick gets a one way deal.

Source: Andy Strickland

Clearly making a run for the cup here................

Thats great but I think we still have several other issues to address her DR? <_<

Voicing displeasure with a failure to act and actually expecting action to occur are two completely different things which YOU insist on lumping together. I don't know that anyone voicing their displeasure actually EXPECTED Darcy to do anything other than what he has done.

In that case this thread needs to be renamed to "Place to bitch about our GM not signing guys that we all knew with 100% certainty he wasn't going to sign in the first place" That clearly separates the two actions while at the same time demonstrating it's complete lunacy.

Buffalo Signs McCormick

One yr. deal worth $500,000. Cody McCormick gets a one way deal.

Source: Andy Strickland

Clearly making a run for the cup here................

Why wasn't this deal done 2 months ago?

Does anyone else get the feeling Darcy is an automaton? He deals without emotion in a sport ruled by emotion. Think this plays any part in the free agency problems we have experienced over the years and his preference for trades where the player doesn't have a say in the matter?

In that case this thread needs to be renamed to "Place to bitch about our GM not signing guys that we all knew with 100% certainty he wasn't going to sign in the first place" That clearly separates the two actions while at the same time demonstrating it's complete lunacy.

That is supposed to happen in the OT thread, but sometimes it trickles over here. And expectations may have been bumped up this year by Darcy's own statements that they were going to be a playa and things were going to be different.

Does anyone else get the feeling Darcy is an automaton? He deals without emotion in a sport ruled by emotion. Think this plays any part in the free agency problems we have experienced over the years and his preference for trades where the player doesn't have a say in the matter?

So now we're complaining that Regier should have signed Cody McCormick earlier than he actually signed him? The downward spiral of this board just keeps right on going.

So now we're complaining that Regier should have signed Cody McCormick earlier than he actually signed him? The downward spiral of this board just keeps right on going.

Actually, yes - but hear me out. Why expose a player you intend to sign to free agency? Get the deal done when you have exclusive negotiating rights. Competition for services drives up the cost of those services. Sure, free agency could be used to tamp down expectations of a player who has his head in the clouds about his worth on the open market, but do you think that's likely with a guy who spent the entire regular season in the minors?

What the frig has Darcy been doing for the past 2 months? How long did it take to put this deal together - 2 minutes?

This is the issue I have with DR - he likes playing chicken with semis. In this case, who cares if we lose McCormick, but this same lassez-faire attitude and lack of any urgency to get a deal done before free agency kicked in cost us drury, briere and campbell.

Players are people - they want to feel needed. I doubt they feel needed when Darcy takes three months to get back to them about their contract.

You're being sarcastic, right? :unsure:

That is supposed to happen in the OT thread, but sometimes it trickles over here. And expectations may have been bumped up this year by Darcy's own statements that they were going to be a playa and things were going to be different.

... and we believed him why?!?

Actually, yes - but hear me out. Why expose a player you intend to sign to free agency? Get the deal done when you have exclusive negotiating rights. Competition for services drives up the cost of those services. Sure, free agency could be used to tamp down expectations of a player who has his head in the clouds about his worth on the open market, but do you think that's likely with a guy who spent the entire regular season in the minors?

What the frig has Darcy been doing for the past 2 months? How long did it take to put this deal together - 2 minutes?

This is the issue I have with DR - he likes playing chicken with semis. In this case, who cares if we lose McCormick, but this same lassez-faire attitude and lack of any urgency to get a deal done before free agency kicked in cost us drury, briere and campbell.

Players are people - they want to feel needed. I doubt they feel needed when Darcy takes three months to get back to them about their contract.

I was expecting more of a "he's wasting time that should be spent dealing with someone else" type answer. But anyway, I'm not so sure the Drury-Briere-Campbell thing is worth mentioning anymore. They've clearly seen the error of their ways there. The proof comes in the form of the extensions to guys like Miller, Pominville, Hecht, and even the Grier deal a couple weeks back. If they think the player is an important piece, they'll take care of things well ahead of time. You can question their idea of who is important, but not the way the addressed it with those guys.

Like you said, who really cares if McCormick gets away. He's a nice bit piece, but not a major cog. He did not deserve the attention that some of the other players I mentioned got. Ultimately, he's right back here, so it worked out in the end.

The other thing from your post that I don't completely agree with is the idea that McCormick might not feeling that he's needed. If you look at the thread Bill Hoppe posted, he mentioned that this is the first ever one-way contract that McCormick has ever signed. That has to be a good feeling.

I was expecting more of a "he's wasting time that should be spent dealing with someone else" type answer. But anyway, I'm not so sure the Drury-Briere-Campbell thing is worth mentioning anymore. They've clearly seen the error of their ways there. The proof comes in the form of the extensions to guys like Miller, Pominville, Hecht, and even the Grier deal a couple weeks back. If they think the player is an important piece, they'll take care of things well ahead of time. You can question their idea of who is important, but not the way the addressed it with those guys.

Like you said, who really cares if McCormick gets away. He's a nice bit piece, but not a major cog. He did not deserve the attention that some of the other players I mentioned got. Ultimately, he's right back here, so it worked out in the end.

The other thing from your post that I don't completely agree with is the idea that McCormick might not feeling that he's needed. If you look at the thread Bill Hoppe posted, he mentioned that this is the first ever one-way contract that McCormick has ever signed. That has to be a good feeling.

Have they? I am not so sure. If McCormick is so thrilled with a one way contract, wouldn't he have been just as thrilled if it had been offered before free agency opened and we risked losing him? He's a poor example because he is not a major cog, but it seems the same thing happened with Lydman - no contact with DR until just before free agency began, and at that point he is asking for a hometown discount. What if DR tried to extend him in February or May - might he have been more amenable to an additional 2 years for a team he liked then? Where is the incentive to sign a contract when you will be a free agent in two days. It seems that DR is backsliding into his old habits. Lyds is a better example than McCormick. He's not a miller or pommer, but is comparable to a hecht and grier.

Have they? I am not so sure. If McCormick is so thrilled with a one way contract, wouldn't he have been just as thrilled if it had been offered before free agency opened and we risked losing him? He's a poor example because he is not a major cog, but it seems the same thing happened with Lydman - no contact with DR until just before free agency began, and at that point he is asking for a hometown discount. What if DR tried to extend him in February or May - might he have been more amenable to an additional 2 years for a team he liked then? Where is the incentive to sign a contract when you will be a free agent in two days. It seems that DR is backsliding into his old habits. Lyds is a better example than McCormick. He's not a miller or pommer, but is comparable to a hecht and grier.

And if you resigned him mid-season, then that limits possibly picking up someone better during free agency. We didn't care if we lost him. While no fan of DR, I think players that he intends to build around have been getting signed midseason lately.

I'm not convinced that they had any intention of keeping either of the Lydman-Tallinder combo.

I said it before either had signed a contract and I still agree with it. If Lyds and Tallinder both stated they wanted to stay here and Darcy didn't bother to sign them, then he never really intended to. I would guess they were both probably willing to take a bit of a discount for the sake of convenience. If that wasn't enough to get Darcy to put a contract down, nothing would be. He wanted some fresh faces and I can't argue with that.

I'm not convinced that they had any intention of keeping either of the Lydman-Tallinder combo.

I think you're probably right, but if that is the case, why extend an offer at all? It seems like just a way to CYA so he can tell all of us that he tried, but it's insulting to the player when the offer isn't even legitimate.

Archived