Free Agent Frenzy

spndnchz

I know it is all on paper right now, but is anyone else concerned by how strong the Eastern Conference appears to be getting? I hope Kaberle and Nabokov end up out West.

There is no need for us to worry...as we know how it goes in Sabreland:

Buffalo Sabres Hockey: Status Quo Is The Way To Go

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Does this mean the Sabres may try to trade for Zach Parise? He has speed, talent and lacks size? The three things Regier looks for in a forward.

I'm sure that the Devils will try to keep Parise, but something has to move in NJ. If Kovy gets 7 yrs, $60 million as reported, they they will have over $64 million in cap hit with one more forward to sign just to hit 12. That means moving Elias or Rolston, or two (or more) of Zajac, Zubrus, Parise, Langenbrunner and Clarkson. Rolston's production has fallen far too much for his $5 million hit, so he'll be hard to trade.

Not sure why all the fuss about a player that should have 'born to lose' tattooed on his face. He's a prima Donna only concerned with stats. He won't help NJ win squat. He doesn't put forth effort unless offense in involved.

Not sure why all the fuss about a player that should have 'born to lose' tattooed on his face. He's a prima Donna only concerned with stats. He won't help NJ win squat. He doesn't put forth effort unless offense in involved.

Lou Lamoriello is neither desperate or stupid. He had a real close look at Kovi and decided this is the move to make. This isn't the NY Rangers. It's Lou Lamoriello and the Devils. This team is a perennial Cup contender (who also won a division and had a 100 points last season) and they land the best defenseman and forward available? At least we signed :cry:

I know it is all on paper right now, but is anyone else concerned by how strong the Eastern Conference appears to be getting? I hope Kaberle and Nabokov end up out West.

Nabokov will end up in the east, just a ###### of a lot further to the east than you're thinking. He'll be going KHL.

I'm sure that the Devils will try to keep Parise, but something has to move in NJ. If Kovy gets 7 yrs, $60 million as reported, they they will have over $64 million in cap hit with one more forward to sign just to hit 12. That means moving Elias or Rolston, or two (or more) of Zajac, Zubrus, Parise, Langenbrunner and Clarkson. Rolston's production has fallen far too much for his $5 million hit, so he'll be hard to trade.

I was going to suggest Jay Pandolfo, but apparently he's already been bought out. I don't know how I missed that one.

Classic WNY/blue collar mentality. "All the bum does is score goals!"

Sorry but I've heard enough hockey people comment on his game to know he does not make teams better. If they have to unload a core piece to fit under the cap they will be in trouble this season.

Sorry but I've heard enough hockey people comment on his game to know he does not make teams better. If they have to unload a core piece to fit under the cap they will be in trouble this season.

Well sorry to you, but I've read enough hockey stat sheets to know that his 40+ goals a year would make ANY team better. ANY team. I don't know what lie you're living in, maybe just trying to ease the pain of knowing that Buffalo will never acquire a player of his ilk, but come on. Kovalchuk won't make NJ better? New Jersey, a team who's problem for years has primarily been lack of offense, won't benefit from adding an annual 40 goal score? lol ok boss.

He did help NJ get further in the playoffs than Buffalo did last season, though, right? I'm glad the Sabres aren't paying $9M/per for Kovy. Very glad. I'd rather have three great two-way players, with 20 goals each, for my $9M. Call it a blue-collar mentality if you will, but I haven't been justly accused of that too often.

He did help NJ get further in the playoffs than Buffalo did last season, though, right? I'm glad the Sabres aren't paying $9M/per for Kovy. Very glad. I'd rather have three great two-way players, with 20 goals each, for my $9M. Call it a blue-collar mentality if you will, but I haven't been justly accused of that too often.

He had 10 goals and 27 points in 27 games with NJ last year. Anyone who wouldn't take that on their team is just being pigheaded.

He had 10 goals and 27 points in 27 games with NJ last year. Anyone who wouldn't take that on their team is just being pigheaded.

I'd take it. I wouldn't take it at that price if I could get three other guys like I described instead.

EDIT: Not sure I'd take it at that price at all, actually.

Not to mention the fact he'd spent his entire career with Atlanta prior to that. People have been discrediting his accomplishments with New Jersey but it's not the easiest thing to leave an organization you've spent 9-10 years with and immediately start clicking with new team mates. Chemistry has to be developed on the ice.

I'd take it. I wouldn't take it at that price if I could get three other guys like I described instead.

You are Darcy Regier. :doh:

You can't win with a roster full of middle of the road guys. Even with a great goalie like Hasek or Miller.

I'm sure Darcy and Lindy feel the same. That is why the Sabres (unless they get another all world season out of Miller) will flirt with 7th or 8th in the east just like they do every year, not always making either.

You are Darcy Regier. :doh:

You can't win with a roster full of middle of the road guys. Even with a great goalie like Hasek or Miller.

Yeah, NJ never won that way. They won with Kovy, instead.

Stevens, Holik, Niedermayer, Patrik Elias, Petr Sykora, Jason Arnott, Alexander Mogilny, Brian Rafalski, John Madden, Scott Gomez.

So, who's the middle of the road guy there?

Stevens, Holik, Niedermayer, Patrik Elias, Petr Sykora, Jason Arnott, Alexander Mogilny, Brian Rafalski, John Madden, Scott Gomez.

So, who's the middle of the road guy there?

thank you, i personally will be tuning in waiting for the response to this one

All you're saying is that you'd rather take the approach the Sabres take, with zero Cups, over the approach New Jersey takes, with several Cups (heat stroke is preventing me from knowing the number, two or three I think) and looking for more. Enjoy the ride.

They won with a HOF goalie and HOF defensemen. They also regularly brought in outside offensive help from Stepane Richer to Jason Arnot and dozens in between. If Lou Lamoriello thinks he can help them to a Stanley Cup and is willing to give out a big contract that certainly says a lot about Kovalchuk as a player.

They won with a HOF goalie and HOF defensemen. They also regularly brought in outside offensive help from Stepane Richer to Jason Arnot and dozens in between. If Lou Lamoriello thinks he can help them to a Stanley Cup and is willing to give out a big contract that certainly says a lot about Kovalchuk as a player.

I think it's gotten to the point where people say they wouldn't want Kovalchuk as a Sabre just to go against the grain and give the impression that they know something the rest of us don't. There is absolutely NO reason anybody should not want Kovalchuk on their team. Only Ovechkin has scored more goals than Kovalchuk since the lockout, it doesn't make sense to not want him. Oh, and he IS worth 9 mil a year if Hossa is.

Archived