Free Agent Frenzy

spndnchz

Typical Regierian response, it's not the individual moves it's the ideas behind the moves. Sabre fans are so beaten down by status quo that the idea of actually acquiring talented hockey players is considered "moves for the sake of moves."

I actually felt physical pain at the truth of this sentence.

Hey Deluca, Burke says no trades or signings expected till after the holiday. Didn't they get your memo about not taking time off?

Nothing wrong in relaxing after you have accomplished much this off-season. What is that saying "Coffee is for closers only." In this case the coffee represents time off and Regier needs to step away form the coffee until he accomplishes something.

Some tequila and a really good time :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, I don't think that would be enough to silence Eklund. It would actually encourage him even more to come up with some more outlandish rumors. Then everyone would really know just how out to lunch he is.

Well, the only semi-encouraging information over the past couple of days to me was that Darcy was trying to get "certain forwards" that went to other teams.

Obviously he didn't try hard enough, but at least he submitted an offer - for what it's worth.

And it holds out hope that he sees the need for new blood in the forward position.

Wouldn't have made the gold medal game if his goalie hadn't played incredibly well throughout, either.

Very true, and wouldn't have gotten that game to OT either.

It's what was promoted so it must be true.

Did you watch the games? Or are you just PO'd at the Sabres?

I don't know if the Sabres would have scored if Brett Hull's goal would have been disallowed either, would have liked to find out.

(cringing)

This would be correct. And Toms feelings are shared by many, I was a bit skeptical myself on Burke before he began to make moves with Toronto. But tom, if you look at how Burke has gone about transforming the Leafs, I for one find it very interesting indeed. Forget analyzing it, he has made sacrifices and the team is improving. He is building around Kessel, and rightfully so. Buffalo builds their line 1 around Vanek, and also, rightfully so.

Let's wait until they finish above 2nd-last in the NHL on his watch before we come to any conclusions.

Say what you want about his team being soft but in my opinion he's done a great job transforming Toronto from a bottom feeder to (likely) a competitor. Only time will tell if Kessel and Versteeg pan out for them, but the potential is there. IF Toronto adds another scoring forward (like Max as was previously mentioned), I wouldn't be surprised at all to see them finish ahead of Buffalo. Especially if they hang on to Kaberle, which I would if I were in their position.

honestly right now, outside of Miller and Myers I would trade Buffalo's whole roster for Toronto's full roster in a heartbeat.

See above. This is certifiably insane.

I have to ask this question. Does Leopold count as one of the moves you thought Regier would make? If the off-season consists of Leopold and a third or forth line forward will you express the disappointment you indicated previously?

I'll make this promise again. If Regier comes up with a big time move, and I mean big time like Kaberle, Kovi, Frolov, Gagne, Savard or a player of similar quality, I will not include a opinion that mentions Regier or the Sabres GM until next season playoffs are over. If Regier can shut me up I will man up and let him be after I acknowledge a good job.

this is a huge development.

I will be very disappointed if this is all they do. I don't believe it will be.

I agree 100% with the first part and am very anxious about the 2nd part.

That's just your opinion.

outstanding.

It may be crazy, may be ill advised but at least it's something.

Sabre fans are so beaten down by status quo that the idea of actually acquiring talented hockey players is considered "moves for the sake of moves."

What I considered "moves for the sake of moves" was when you said so yourself in the first quote.

Do you think the Sabres will have a worse year next year than this year? Apparently you do -- why?

Unless they do something at forward, why would you think the Sabres are going to be better?

Do you think the Sabres will have a worse year next year than this year? Apparently you do -- why?

As SwampD said, they haven't done anything to get better-- but that doesn't mean I think they'll do worse. Toronto has clearly taken steps to improve their team while Buffalo has remained at status quo for several years. I don't actually think the Sabres are going to finish last in the East, but I do think Toronto now has a better team offensively than us (and defensively too, other than Myers obviously being the most valuable on both teams), and they probably aren't done yet.

now tell me why you think Toronto will finish last?

Unless they do something at forward, why would you think the Sabres are going to be better?

May I pipe in? Second half of last season, when Miller decided to stop playing like he wanted to prove some kind of point, the Sabres were probably at about a 10th place pace extrapolated over a whole season. I think they went 56-44. My fear is that they pick right up where they left off.

May I pipe in? Second half of last season, when Miller decided to stop playing like he wanted to prove some kind of point, the Sabres were probably at about a 10th place pace extrapolated over a whole season. I think they went 56-44. My fear is that they pick right up where they left off.

its possible.

You're smart enough to know you can't extropolate parts of seasons. Every game is played in the context of what was okayed out earlier in the season. Its why that cliche about the season being a marathon exists.

You're smart enough to know you can't extropolate parts of seasons. Every game is played in the context of what was okayed out earlier in the season. Its why that cliche about the season being a marathon exists.

If the Sabres had gone 44-56, you wouldn't be more optimistic about next season?

As SwampD said, they haven't done anything to get better-- but that doesn't mean I think they'll do worse. Toronto has clearly taken steps to improve their team while Buffalo has remained at status quo for several years. I don't actually think the Sabres are going to finish last in the East, but I do think Toronto now has a better team offensively than us (and defensively too, other than Myers obviously being the most valuable on both teams), and they probably aren't done yet.

now tell me why you think Toronto will finish last?

I see no reason why the Sabres will be worse and a number of reasons why they might be better:

1. Myers continuing to develop

2. bounceback year for Vanek

3. maturity/development from Butler and Sekera

4. more toughness on D if Weber is ready

5. maturity/development from Ennis and Kennedy

6. still holding out hope that they bring in a good forward

7. still have one of best goalies and one of best coaches in the NHL

As for Toronto, they have been terrible for years, were 2nd-last in the NHL last year and added a 5'9" 44-point guy in Versteeg and a 29-point guy in Armstrong. Why exactly should they be expected to get out of the basement?

I see no reason why the Sabres will be worse and a number of reasons why they might be better:

As for Toronto, they have been terrible for years, were 2nd-last in the NHL last year and added a 5'9" 44-point guy in Versteeg and a 29-point guy in Armstrong. Why exactly should they be expected to get out of the basement?

We all know they are not done yet. There is a reason to be optimistic if you are a Leaf fan.

1. Schenn continuing to develop

2. Versteeg continuing to develop

3. Kessel potting more goals than Vanek and Roy combined

4. Already max'd out on toughness on D with Phaneuf, Schenn, and Beauchemin

5. Still money to spend on a scoring forward, OR Kaberle to trade to for one (both of which will result in Toronto getting a better player than Darcy will sign).

What I considered "moves for the sake of moves" was when you said so yourself in the first quote.

My wording was in response to a previous post. I would never consider adding a 50 goal scorer as "moves for the sake of moves." I was trying to point out that even if people consider a move like that crazy it is at least something.

So,.. hope, although I think he will.

So,.. hope, although I think he will as well.

Um,.. hope again.

And yet more hope although I just don't know where it comes from on this one.

Yet more hope.

If this happens (like I said) who knows, so no comment.

Not one of the best goalies, the best, but I'll be more surprised if he repeats the season he just had rather than have a let-down. Best coach? Well, I sure hear that a lot so it must be true, although, how would we know?

So basically,.. hope. You are hoping they will be better. I'm surprised you didn't say, "8. Another year for the Core to have matured." Well, we've been sold hope for far too many years. I'll take a proven player, thanks.

We all know they are not done yet. There is a reason to be optimistic if you are a Leaf fan.

Sort of true -- I don't think he's going to get that much for Kaberle, which is his biggest remaining move, unless Kaberle signs a contract extension in the deal.

1. Schenn continuing to develop

2. Versteeg continuing to develop

3. Kessel potting more goals than Vanek and Roy combined

4. Already max'd out on toughness on D with Phaneuf, Schenn, and Beauchemin

5. Still money to spend on a scoring forward, OR Kaberle to trade to for one (both of which will result in Toronto getting a better player than Darcy will sign).

All of this is possible/accurate except for #3. In fact, I'll predict that Vanek outscores Kessel this year.

So,.. hope, although I think he will.

So,.. hope, although I think he will as well.

Um,.. hope again.

And yet more hope although I just don't know where it comes from on this one.

Yet more hope.

If this happens (like I said) who knows, so no comment.

Not one of the best goalies, the best, but I'll be more surprised if he repeats the season he just had rather than have a let-down. Best coach? Well, I sure hear that a lot so it must be true, although, how would we know?

So basically,.. hope. You are hoping they will be better. I'm surprised you didn't say, "8. Another year for the Core to have matured." Well, we've been sold hope for far too many years. I'll take a proven player, thanks.

You are right -- these are all hope. All of the guys I'm hoping will develop/improve have shown promise (in varying degrees, to be sure). So if half of them hit, that's still a net improvement for the team over last year, innit?

I too would rather have a proven player, specifically a forward, and will be disappointed if we don't see one added.

Archived