Free Agent Frenzy

spndnchz

Do you think the Sabres will have a worse year next year than this year? Apparently you do -- why?

Well, let's think about this for a minute. WIll they win the division again? Maybe not (but so many here think that was worthless, anyway). Will they have a worse playoff campaign? No. So regular season, maybe the team has a year worse than last. Playoffs won't get worse.

Sort of true -- I don't think he's going to get that much for Kaberle, which is his biggest remaining move, unless Kaberle signs a contract extension in the deal.

Don't just think Kaberle, they also have Jean-Sebastien Giguere who just may fetch a nice return at some point. Combined that $10.5 off the books. Burke is positioning this team really well.

Actually, the Sabres right now are positioned nicely for next off-season as well with only $32 mill in dedicated salary cap space.

Do you think the Sabres will have a worse year next year than this year? Apparently you do -- why?

I'll answer this question for myself nfreeman.

1. There is absolutely zero reason to believe they will repeat as NorthEast Division leaders.

2. With other Divisional as well as conference opponents either already set with offense or upgrading significanlty (Boston, Toronto) with offensive talent there is absolutely no reason to believe Buffalo with essentially the same roster can continue a successful pattern without change occuring.

3. Defensively multiple conference opponents improved this off season, the Sabres how ever have not. Now, this is not to say Weber, Leopold and Gragnani cannot make the team better, but it is "crytal" clear many teams in the ECF have improved significantly player wise on defense, further putting our "crystal" clear ineptness on offense on full display.

4. If talent and skill are judged according to individual effort as well as chemistry among groups of players, I have to firmly believe based on the pure law of averages that 4 out of 15 teams in the ECF just moved Buffalo down the list to an 8th seed if they are lucky.

These are merely a few of my points to make nfreeman, there are more, but lets start here.

Well, let's think about this for a minute. WIll they win the division again? Maybe not (but so many here think that was worthless, anyway). Will they have a worse playoff campaign? No. So regular season, maybe the team has a year worse than last. Playoffs won't get worse.

I wish I had this optimism. I really do. I just don't know where it comes from. Unless they get a forward of worth, this is the same team as last year, maybe even a little worse if the D doesn't pan out.

I have to remind myself that they might, just might, do something in the middle of the season. And then comes trade deadline day. I know that Darcy doesn't do much during either period, and I don't expect him to pull of a Butch Goring-type of trade by any means. However, we never know what pieces of the puzzle might come our way over the next few months. At the same time, I'm not going to kid myself and expect him to do anything that is totally out of his character either.

He was a cup of coffee player back in the day, and I think this has a lot to do with his management style. That feeling of underachievement seems to be a monkey that will never get off his back.

Don't just think Kaberle, they also have Jean-Sebastien Giguere who just may fetch a nice return at some point. Combined that $10.5 off the books. Burke is positioning this team really well.

Giggy is their only goalie. How can they trade him?

I'll answer this question for myself nfreeman.

1. There is absolutely zero reason to believe they will repeat as NorthEast Division leaders.

2. With other Divisional as well as conference opponents either already set with offense or upgrading significanlty (Boston, Toronto) with offensive talent there is absolutely no reason to believe Buffalo with essentially the same roster can continue a successful pattern without change occuring.

3. Defensively multiple conference opponents improved this off season, the Sabres how ever have not. Now, this is not to say Weber, Leopold and Gragnani cannot make the team better, but it is "crytal" clear many teams in the ECF have improved significantly player wise on defense, further putting our "crystal" clear ineptness on offense on full display.

4. If talent and skill are judged according to individual effort as well as chemistry among groups of players, I have to firmly believe based on the pure law of averages that 4 out of 15 teams in the ECF just moved Buffalo down the list to an 8th seed if they are lucky.

These are merely a few of my points to make nfreeman, there are more, but lets start here.

Well, the conference opponents that "improved defensively," interestingly enough, each lost their best defenseman (NJ lost Martin, Pitt lost Gonchar and Ottawa lost Volchenkov). I'm not sure you'll see much if any net improvement on D out of any of those teams.

I have no idea what #4 means.

also, if you're going to put quotes around the word "crystal," you should at least spell it right.

There are plenty of serviceable goalies available. Toronto is in a rebuilding stage and JSG is in his final year, he will get dealt at some point. Maybe to Philly for Gagne? Maybe to a team that finds itself in need of a goalie during the season? Right now his value to the Leafs is more in what he can bring back in a trade than on the ice.

All of this is possible/accurate except for #3. In fact, I'll predict that Vanek outscores Kessel this year.

Number 3 was flat out laughable. The Vanek-Roy combo have combined for 43, 64, 68, 68 again, and 54 goals each year they've been on the team together. Kessel's career high is 36. So even in a down year for both Vanek and Roy last year, they still combined to put up more goals the Crosby or Stamkos, who both held the league lead at 51 goals. Really, the only way Jack's prediction comes true is if there is an extended injury for one or both of those players and if he's making that prediction, he's an ######.

Number 3 was flat out laughable. The Vanek-Roy combo have combined for 43, 64, 68, 68 again, and 54 goals each year they've been on the team together. Kessel's career high is 36. So even in a down year for both Vanek and Roy last year, they still combined to put up more goals the Crosby or Stamkos, who both held the league lead at 51 goals. Really, the only way Jack's prediction comes true is if there is an extended injury for one or both of those players and if he's making that prediction, he's an ######.

Obviously I was exaggerating a bit when I said that, but Kessel has potted 30+ the last two seasons (after 19 in his sophomore year), so there's no reason to believe he will decline other than Versteeg possibly sharing some of the offense.

Well, the conference opponents that "improved defensively," interestingly enough, each lost their best defenseman (NJ lost Martin, Pitt lost Gonchar and Ottawa lost Volchenkov). I'm not sure you'll see much if any net improvement on D out of any of those teams.

I have no idea what #4 means.

also, if you're going to put quotes around the word "crystal," you should at least spell it right.

Spell policing put aside :nana: , #4 was to show that other teams in the ECF are attempting change over in the more than 1 player catagory. If those players find significant chemistry and have individual skill to do such, those teams have improved.

NJ, Pitt, Boston and Ottawa replaced losses on Defense with players that were equal to or actually a better caliber in some cases. This is worrisome to me with Darcy making no significant moves on offense.

Ottawa owned us throughout the season. Pitt in all reality did as well.

Although we played NJ tough, I can't see this current roster defeating them in a best of 7.

Boston appears to be in the position to just steam roll the Sabres, no different than the playoff series in any event.

Not griping about Darcy mind you, but my opinion is that Darcy needs to solidify that top scoring line, and stop waisting years trying to find out if Stafford is going to come around. There are RWer's out there that can do such. If its a trade, then so be it.

But as I point out, its just my opinion nfreeman. I truly believe Darcy has wasted atleast 1 full season too many on Stafford as that line 1 RWer the team is looking for. And a 3rd line center would have been nice as well.

If you want to contend for the Cup, then Darcy will have to fill those holes and with real talent.

Lets all bare in mind, Darcy did state in his presser they went after a couple of offensive talents. I am merely speculating, but Ray Whitney, Matt Cullen and Saku Koivu are my guesses.

I am looking to Lombardi as the last FA center that may fit with the Sabres.

Since Darcy also believes he has 2 of the top 20 centers in the league, I don't see Connolly or Roy going in a trade.

So that pretty much narrows it down to a RWer for Roy and Vanek and a 3rd line center.

As for the RWer, any one have any FA names they would like to see?

My opinion is Darcy should throw an offer at Bobby Ryan of the Ducks, since he turned down the 5 mil for 5 yr contract with them.

Any thoughts on this?

This line should be enough for any person to see that he does not have an eye for talent, just a great ability to pull the wool over the fans eyes. That right there should be enough to get you fired, not extended. 2 of the top 20 centres in the league?

No he isn't, they still have their "goalie of the future", Gustavson (The Monster). Giggy is being used at this ppoint as a "mentor" to the monster until they feel he is comfortable to fill the #1 spot on his own.

The Leafs may have improved, by they still will be lucky to be competing for a playoff spot this season if their lineup stays "As-Is"

The biggest problem is that while other teams appear to be making moves to improve, as usual the Sabres are making lateral moves and relying on guys "stepping up" to play to their potential

No he isn't, they still have their "goalie of the future", Gustavson (The Monster). Giggy is being used at this ppoint as a "mentor" to the monster until they feel he is comfortable to fill the #1 spot on his own.

The Leafs may have improved, by they still will be lucky to be competing for a playoff spot this season if their lineup stays "As-Is"

The biggest problem is that while other teams appear to be making moves to improve, as usual the Sabres are making lateral moves and relying on guys "stepping up" to play to their potential

If only they realized that you need both to happen to win a Stanley Cup.

This line should be enough for any person to see that he does not have an eye for talent, just a great ability to pull the wool over the fans eyes. That right there should be enough to get you fired, not extended. 2 of the top 20 centres in the league?

He was speaking purely in the statiscal sense. Believe it or not, Roy and Connolly both fell into the top 20 or so (there is an actual tie for 20th) in scoring amongst centers.

Their goalie of the future with a heart condition.

He was speaking purely in the statistical sense. Believe it or not, Roy and Connolly both fell into the top 20 or so (there is an actual tie for 20th) in scoring amongst centers.

And that's the problem with Darcy; he finds a single stat or cause that supports his stance and uses that as universal support of his point. They're never wrong, but always incomplete. For example, last year when asked about the team being too small, he responded that Detroit is the smallest team. OK, but they don't play small and actually have skilled players that are willing to step up their physical game down the stretch and during the playoffs. The Sabres are small and soft. You can make up some for one with the other, but you can't get by without either.

This year, it's "we have two of the top 20 centers." He doesn't say that they were in the top 20 in terms of points this year; he just says that they are top-20 centers. I see Connolly as tied for 21st, but that aside, there is a lot missing from that argument. Marleau played mostly wing this year, so he was listed as a winger. Guess what, he's a better center than both. Matt Duchene and John Tavares were a little lower on the list as rookies and have far more potential to improve next year than two guys who have been in the league for many years (especially Connolly). Spezza and Savard had injury shortened seasons, so they are not above Connolly or Roy, but both are better centers (and he can't argue including them since he gave Connolly a raise after several far more injury-shortened seasons.) There are players who are a little lower but bring a combination of grit, size, leadership, clutch, faceoff ability, etc., that make them more valuable even with slightly lower production. Case in point: Mike Richards (also, Jeff Carter) is right below Connolly on the list. Ask anyone in the league to name the top-20 centers in the league and how many would include even one? Both? Sure sounds good though.

And that's the problem with Darcy; he finds a single stat or cause that supports his stance and uses that as universal support of his point. They're never wrong, but always incomplete. For example, last year when asked about the team being too small, he responded that Detroit is the smallest team. OK, but they don't play small and actually have skilled players that are willing to step up their physical game down the stretch and during the playoffs. The Sabres are small and soft. You can make up some for one with the other, but you can't get by without either.

This year, it's "we have two of the top 20 centers." He doesn't say that they were in the top 20 in terms of points this year; he just says that they are top-20 centers. I see Connolly as tied for 21st, but that aside, there is a lot missing from that argument. Marleau played mostly wing this year, so he was listed as a winger. Guess what, he's a better center than both. Matt Duchene and John Tavares were a little lower on the list as rookies and have far more potential to improve next year than two guys who have been in the league for many years (especially Connolly). Spezza and Savard had injury shortened seasons, so they are not above Connolly or Roy, but both are better centers (and he can't argue including them since he gave Connolly a raise after several far more injury-shortened seasons.) There are players who are a little lower but bring a combination of grit, size, leadership, clutch, faceoff ability, etc., that make them more valuable even with slightly lower production. Case in point: Mike Richards (also, Jeff Carter) is right below Connolly on the list. Ask anyone in the league to name the top-20 centers in the league and how many would include even one? Both? Sure sounds good though.

That sounds kind of familiar.

Seriously, you are preaching to the choir here. I was just pointing out how Darcy can make that statement.

Yes it is.

Being a Sabres fan is a complete waste of time guys.

Unless you are just casual and have no expectations.

I wish I could find the quote, Lou Lamoriello stated he wouldn't be going to the beach this weekend and I guess it paid off.

Does this mean the Sabres may try to trade for Zach Parise? He has speed, talent and lacks size? The three things Regier looks for in a forward.

Archived