Chris Drury: Mr. Intangible

VansTheMans

I am all but certain that you cannot include portions of a player's salary in a trade any more. That died with the new CBA.

I haven't read the section about re-entry waivers lately, but I believe that even in that case, the sharing is specified and not negotiable.

Basically, in waiver claims and trades, the new team takes the whole salary; in re-entry waiver claims, the two teams split it (evenly, I believe); and in buyouts, the old team pays a fraction (1/2 or 2/3 depending on age and maybe NHL years) of the salary over an extended period, but the player becomes a free agent.

Then I'm done with this concept; Drury would not fall so far on the re-entry waiver wire (whoever is in last place surely would grab him with a split salary situation), and I don't think he's worth his current salary. If the Rags buy him out, fine, but for the reasons stated in your earlier post, I doubt it happens.

I'm under the impression most of the NYR fans despise Chris Drury. They find him to be a highly overpaid MISTAKE.

I'm thinking the Rangers would dump him in a heartbeat if someone offered something.

That contract was a mistake, but the fans' anger is misplaced. They should be pissed at the FO for massively overpaying a solid two-way leader AND bringing in a nearly identical player at the same damn time (Gomez).

Exactly. Like another poster said, he's a role player making superstar money. Don't want him. One good game in the Olympics where everyone is paid the same, NOTHING, doesn't make me yearn for him in blue and gold. He's clearly shown what type of player he is over the course of an 82 game season. Not a very good one. Unfortunately we can't just have him for playoffs. Then he's ok in my books. But like it was said, move on.

I hope you mean not a very good player this year, because otherwise I cannot disagree more. 20+ goals in 9 of his previous ten seasons, averages around 55-65 points per year, is a top two-way player, and then you look at his postseason record.

I signed up for this form after reading the X-rated Drury-Love posted here.

Really? I mean, at one-fourth of his salary, and on a third line, okay. Don't even argue him v. Roy. Neither is capable of keeping the puck out of the net. One of them can put it in.

Intangibles? Goals? Which is worth more?

Much as e might be maligned, Regier has never once been wrong about a player (though it may have hurt us fans). Drury was never worth what the Rangers paid (likewise Briere and that hilarious contract). Why would he be worth it now?

I signed up for this form after reading the X-rated Drury-Love posted here.

Really? I mean, at one-fourth of his salary, and on a third line, okay. Don't even argue him v. Roy. Neither is capable of keeping the puck out of the net. One of them can put it in.

Intangibles? Goals? Which is worth more?

Much as e might be maligned, Regier has never once been wrong about a player (though it may have hurt us fans). Drury was never worth what the Rangers paid (likewise Briere and that hilarious contract). Why would he be worth it now?

Well, it's only PG-13, but welcome to the board.

That contract was a mistake, but the fans' anger is misplaced. They should be pissed at the FO for massively overpaying a solid two-way leader AND bringing in a nearly identical player at the same damn time (Gomez).

I hope you mean not a very good player this year, because otherwise I cannot disagree more. 20+ goals in 9 of his previous ten seasons, averages around 55-65 points per year, is a top two-way player, and then you look at his postseason record.

Drury has been a minus player in 4 of the last 5 seasons. He's been in decline since he left. I don't think you pay guys as much money as you do Drury, for intangibles. He's making numbers that are usually reserved for guys who put the puck in the net a lot, not guys who have a career .707 point per game and career minus 9. I'm sorry. For all his greatness, I think most Sabre fans just remember some heroic playoff games. Nobody remembers his minus 11 during their 05/06 season.

As for the fans' anger. Hey, they pay the money to come watch, they have every right to be pissed. Drury clearly has not fulfilled his contract. Not by a long stretch.

If losing Drury set the franchise back 3 to 5 years, then bringing him back would set it back even further. What, exactly did he accomplish while here, other than his current contract? All we have to do is wait for the playoffs and watch his body break down again to realize how much better that money could be spent.

If losing Drury set the franchise back 3 to 5 years, then bringing him back would set it back even further. What, exactly did he accomplish while here, other than his current contract? All we have to do is wait for the playoffs and watch his body break down again to realize how much better that money could be spent.

Come on....If you dont think he wasnt the main man that turned them around and got them to play to the next level then you didnt really watch the 2 yrs after the lockout....He was key in changing the attitude of that team..He scored key goals and was pretty much THE LEADER of that team..They were 2 injuries on def from winning the cup and then they let the grit of the team go in Grier Dumont and Mckee..He didnt do it on his own by any stretch but he sure as hell got them thinking and believing they could do it...And he was clutch when it mattered...When the Rangers stole him from us not only did they take our captain they pretty much took us out of the playoffs...

This is a very predictable forum. The moment I saw the :wub: Drury-Miller kiss :wub: last night, I knew the bring Drury back thread would start.

I don't see it happening. The economics just don't work for either team. The thought that NYR would eat salary seems beyond silly to me.

What it did reinforce for me was how much I wish he would have stayed. But that is water over the dam.

Yeah seeing Drury play the intangibles role last night brought me back. That goal to go back up by 1, the big face-offs, the blocked shots at the end and that embrace with Miller. Awesome. Ive seen all 3 US games and he's been the same Chris Drury I remember. With all that being said Im with you guys that a return to Buffalo is a pipedream video game scenario.

Side note. I'd trade anyone on the Sabres not named Miller or Myers for Ryan Kessler. This guy has been an absolute buzz-saw for anyone he's covering. Reminds me of a bigger Michael Peca (without the open ice hits). All hustle and great on draws too. He's impressed me the most from anyone on the US squad. Fantasatic player and would be a nice change of pace from the slacker B@#%S*%! we've seen for 2+ yrs.

What I haven't seen brought up....Drury's dream was to play for the Rangers. Certainly he wouldn't be asking for a trade or anything, but is there even a possibility that he'd take a "hometown discount" and renegotiate so he can stay in NYC? I just don't see him leaving the Rangers without doing everything in his power to stay.

Believe me, I love the type of player he is and would tell every kid I know to watch & learn from his style of play. But he's 33 and not getting any younger. I don't see the point of trying to make amends for the DR/LQ ######-up and bring him back.

Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if he tried convince the Rangers' FO to bring in Miller. :ph34r:

What I haven't seen brought up....Drury's dream was to play for the Rangers. Certainly he wouldn't be asking for a trade or anything, but is there even a possibility that he'd take a "hometown discount" and renegotiate so he can stay in NYC?

I don't believe there is any renegotiating of contracts in the NHL like some of other sports. Except for the buyout clause, I am pretty sure the team holding the contract is stuck with the player according to the original terms of the contract.

Drury has been a minus player in 4 of the last 5 seasons. He's been in decline since he left. I don't think you pay guys as much money as you do Drury, for intangibles. He's making numbers that are usually reserved for guys who put the puck in the net a lot, not guys who have a career .707 point per game and career minus 9. I'm sorry. For all his greatness, I think most Sabre fans just remember some heroic playoff games. Nobody remembers his minus 11 during their 05/06 season.

As for the fans' anger. Hey, they pay the money to come watch, they have every right to be pissed. Drury clearly has not fulfilled his contract. Not by a long stretch.

In those four full years you mention (I didn't include his current year, since there are still ~25 games left) he's scored 114 goals and 136 assists. You're going to see minus numbers when you are playing other team's scoring lines. Is he on the decline? Probably. I just can't get on board with a school of thought that claims Drury is not a very good player during the regular season and is only a good playoff player.

Fans have every right to be pissed, absolutely. But Drury isn't the one who offered a superstar contract to a smaller, solid two-way role player who was on the wrong side of 30. The Rangers made the mistake of giving him franchise scoring winger money when he has never been that guy. But I guess it's easier to come to the rink and boo Drury than it is to yell at Sather in the hockey offices.

Come on....If you dont think he wasnt the main man that turned them around and got them to play to the next level then you didnt really watch the 2 yrs after the lockout....He was key in changing the attitude of that team..He scored key goals and was pretty much THE LEADER of that team..They were 2 injuries on def from winning the cup and then they let the grit of the team go in Grier Dumont and Mckee..He didnt do it on his own by any stretch but he sure as hell got them thinking and believing they could do it...And he was clutch when it mattered...When the Rangers stole him from us not only did they take our captain they pretty much took us out of the playoffs...

First of all, as you have admitted, your opinion about Drury is biased.

Secondly, wasn't the main thing that turned this team around after the lockout the "new NHL"? You know, the NHL where smallish skill players like Drury and Briere could flourish because nobody was allowed to touch them.

:worthy:

After seeing tonight's USA performance, I got Chris Drury on the mind. He played a FANTASTIC game. His play on the PK, clearing pucks from Miller's crease and his leadership on the ice really stood out. He was even the first player to hug Miller and congratulate him on a STELLAR performance.

To quote Eleven in the Olympic thread,

"Intanglble was on top of Miller as soon as the last whistle blew. Wow. I'm betting NYR doesn't want him; who wants him back and at what price? (And this might become a separate thread.)"

So, what does everyone here think? Dismissing clear logic that the chance of him coming home is a million to one, would you want to see Drury back in blue and gold? What would you be willing to part with?

Me, I'd be willing to part with Derek Roy. At this point in his career, it seems like Derek Roy has hit a ceiling. I think it may be safe to say that what you see is what you get. I'm not sold on his ability to be a number one center, and I grow tired of the Maxim inspired play style has has adopted as of late (even if Lindy seemingly hasn't). The one thing Roy has going for him is that he's a good deal contract wise.

NYR would jump at the chance to have Derek Roy on their squad, as they desperately need more offense. Pretty boy Roy would love it in the city, even though his sausage may miss Clarkey boy.

Drury would bring us all the intangibles that we need to make a deep playoff run. His contract is ridiculous, but it's not impossible to accommodate. Drury wouldn't be afraid to take it to slackers either; I have a feeling all the youngin's would up their play with Chris on top of them in the locker room. I'd bet my bottom dollar Vanek turns things around. I'd even pair them together on the ice.

Let me put it this way: Who would you rather have on the team? Chris Drury or Derek Roy?

If you recall, I was "mocked" on this board about a month ago for saying I would trade TWO of the top-six forwards to get Drury back because of what I felt was a lack of leadership on the Sabres. ;-)

If you recall, I was "mocked" on this board about a month ago for saying I would trade TWO of the top-six forwards to get Drury back because of what I felt was a lack of leadership on the Sabres. ;-)

I didn't see your original post on this, but if I did, I would have joined in the "mocking". Two of (Vanek, Connolly, Pominville, Roy, Stafford, #6???) for Drury and his ridiculous contract? :lol:

Everyone knows how I feel about Drury, so I guess that makes me bias. However, answer this. At present salaries, would you rather have

Drury and Mike Weber in the line up or

Hecht and Rivet?

Just some food for thought. I could play with the roster more to make the numbers closer but swithing those pieces increases the cap hit by about $600K and actual dollars over 2 years by about $3 million.

And no, I am not suggesting that the Rangers would trade Drury for Hecht and Rivet.

I didn't watch the game, but unless Drury made it snow in Vancouver, or brought the luger back to life, most of this thread is absolutely pathetic. Miller and Drury hugged afterwards? Who cares? Wow, the US wins a virtually meaningless game, and people want Chris Drury back. Funny.

There is no way that they take him back at his current salary. There are only two other options:

1) The Rangers buy him out this Summer. The salary would be $2.167 million for the next four years and, because of the weird contract salaries, would have caps hits of $1.217 million, $4.217 million, $2.167 million and $2.167 million. He would then be an UFA again. Not sure that the Rags want a $4.217 million hole in their cap in 2011-12.

2) The Rangers waive Drury, then (assuming he clears) put him back on re-entry waivers. The Sabres (or any other team) could then claim him and his salary/cap hit would be split between the two teams 50/50 (I think, though there may be some special effects because the salary in his contract is not constant, so like the buyout, there might be some makeup or payback.)

I'd love for either of those two happen, but I wouldn't be crazy about bringing him back at his current salary. Especially not if it takes one of our more cost-effective contracts to do it.

Excellent post, as always.

Good call.

+1

This is a very predictable forum. The moment I saw the :wub: Drury-Miller kiss :wub: last night, I knew the bring Drury back thread would start.

I don't see it happening. The economics just don't work for either team. The thought that NYR would eat salary seems beyond silly to me.

What it did reinforce for me was how much I wish he would have stayed. But that is water over the dam.

+1, although I do think the Rangers might buy him out if they miss the playoffs. They make bad decisions frequently.

Yeah seeing Drury play the intangibles role last night brought me back. That goal to go back up by 1, the big face-offs, the blocked shots at the end and that embrace with Miller. Awesome. Ive seen all 3 US games and he's been the same Chris Drury I remember. With all that being said Im with you guys that a return to Buffalo is a pipedream video game scenario.

Side note. I'd trade anyone on the Sabres not named Miller or Myers for Ryan Kessler. This guy has been an absolute buzz-saw for anyone he's covering. Reminds me of a bigger Michael Peca (without the open ice hits). All hustle and great on draws too. He's impressed me the most from anyone on the US squad. Fantasatic player and would be a nice change of pace from the slacker B@#%S*%! we've seen for 2+ yrs.

+1. That game last night was vintage Drury. He does what winning teams need. He's in the right spot to clear a loose puck from the crease -- or to bury a rebound for a huge goal (and he doesn't whiff on it or hit the post in crunch time like mentally weak SGMs do). He kills penalties, he blocks shots, he wins faceoffs. He's a grownup, he's tough, he's consistent and he knows what it takes to win games. While he may not put up big scoring numbers in the regular season, that kind of professionalism sets an example for younger players and raises everyone up.

Everyone knows how I feel about Drury, so I guess that makes me bias. However, answer this. At present salaries, would you rather have

Hecht and Rivet?

This is pretty compelling, although Weber really might be a complete washout.

I didn't watch the game, but unless Drury made it snow in Vancouver, or brought the luger back to life, most of this thread is absolutely pathetic. Miller and Drury hugged afterwards? Who cares? Wow, the US wins a virtually meaningless game, and people want Chris Drury back. Funny.

What is the point of this post? Do you really think the Sabres would not be better with Drury, right now? Do you really not think his departure was directly related to them falling off the table immediately afterwards?

As to the substance of your post, I can't understand why, if you like hockey, you did not watch this game. Were the ice dancing preliminaries so important that you couldn't change channels? I can assure you that virtually no one involved in the game, which was a fantastic hockey game, considered it "meaningless." Those guys were going after it tooth and nail and the building was going crazy, as was anyone who watched it on TV. Read some Canadian press coverage of the game and see if you think they consider it meaningless.

More importantly, as Carp has trenchantly observed, the USA now gets a bye, and only has to win 3 games to win gold, while Canada has to win 4 -- including playing Russia in the 2nd round. So the USA only has to play one out of the killer 3 of Russia, Canada and Sweden. That is huge.

EXACTLY!

as for answering the question, I'd take Roy thanks. Way younger, still put points on the board, unlike Drury.

Again, this is a 2 week tournament. Drury excels under these conditions, I get it. But the NHL is an 82 game grind and Drury clearly is done in those regards. Unfortunately we need the 82 games to see who gets to the playoffs. Last I looked our team, with Roy, is in if they started today. The Rangers, with Drury, are not.

Interesting, but not entirely relevant. I could counter this point simply with this: Last I looked, Drury had won a cup and Derek Roy had not.

Hecht and Rivet?

Just some food for thought. I could play with the roster more to make the numbers closer but swithing those pieces increases the cap hit by about $600K and actual dollars over 2 years by about $3 million.

And no, I am not suggesting that the Rangers would trade Drury for Hecht and Rivet.

:thumbsup:

Bring up Weber. He's more than ready.

What is the point of this post? Do you really think the Sabres would not be better with Drury, right now? Do you really not think his departure was directly related to them falling off the table immediately afterwards?

As to the substance of your post, I can't understand why, if you like hockey, you did not watch this game. Were the ice dancing preliminaries so important that you couldn't change channels? I can assure you that virtually no one involved in the game, which was a fantastic hockey game, considered it "meaningless." Those guys were going after it tooth and nail and the building was going crazy, as was anyone who watched it on TV. Read some Canadian press coverage of the game and see if you think they consider it meaningless.

You missed the point. An argument can be made to bring Drury back -- not a great one, but one nonetheless -- but to do so on the basis of one virtually meaningless Olympic game is crazy. Since I don't care for All-Star teams of professionals in the Olympics, I'll have to rely on others to tell me if Drury was that good, and continues to be that good, throughout the tournament. If he is, after the way he's been playing in New York, my respect for him will drop. Same for Miller, after his play before the break.

I didn't see your original post on this, but if I did, I would have joined in the "mocking". Two of (Vanek, Connolly, Pominville, Roy, Stafford, #6???) for Drury and his ridiculous contract? :lol:

MacArthur is #6 and I STILL stand by the statement. Chris Drury is being used improperly in New York. Last night he proved what he can do when in the right situation - and he proved it over and over again in Buffalo. Seems to me a lot of people on this board have short memories. Drury was doing nothing in Calgary either before coming to Buffalo. In Buffalo he became a top-10 force in the NHL.

I didn't watch the game

really? without some context, that's surprising. you missed a great one -- i hope you dvr'd it.

the US wins a virtually meaningless game

i don't get this at all, but have little to add to freeman's and carp's responses -- maybe just to emphasize that the bye is potentially huge and to say that my 2 guests and i woke up my 5 y/o in celebrating the u.s.'s 3rd or 4th goal (i'm not saying it was anything like the celebration we had when drury potted that overtime winner against ott'wa 2006, but we were whooping it up a fair amount).

That game last night was vintage Drury. ... He's a grownup, he's tough, he's consistent and he knows what it takes to win games. While he may not put up big scoring numbers in the regular season, that kind of professionalism sets an example for younger players and raises everyone up.

i liked that bit a lot.

You missed the point. An argument can be made to bring Drury back -- not a great one, but one nonetheless -- but to do so on the basis of one virtually meaningless Olympic game is crazy.

i've got no beef with a somewhat irrational impulse (i.e., a feeling (and i got that same feeling others here did when drury knocked helmets with miller)) reviving a rational assessment of an open issue. as for the latter, though, there is just no way that the economics of bringing drury back based on his current contract figures would make any sense. no way.

Archived