Chris Drury: Mr. Intangible

VansTheMans

I'm just trying to figure this out. The Sabres back then were basically the sabres now, but with Drury as our number one center. So if they weren't good enough back then, why would bringing back Drury now be the answer.

My argument for years has been and still is those players shouldve been added to not subtracted from...Obviously they wouldnt have been any better..I think if you brought him back now our defense is a better unit than 2-3 yrs ago..They could get better..Drury no doubt would make this a better team..Do they win the cup adding just him?? NO WAY but he would def. be a improvement at the center position..Would he be our number one center?? I dont think Lindy has ever really been about number one or 2 centers..I think he goes up against the best lines and I think he makes plays against those lines when it matters..When they came out of the lockout we really didnt have a set 1 2 3 line we rolled them all and played Drury Grier and whoever against the other teams top lines....I say it now he would make this team a whole lot better..

It's bad enough when one poster comes up with a proposal to trade two top 6 forwards for Drury, but now a second poster is on board with this?

Here is a refresher...Drury is a very average second line center who was able to take advantage of the "new" NHL coming out of the lockout. He would go through large numbers of games where he was no better than a 4th liner and in that regard, he fit right in as a Sabre. Now he is a extremely overpaid 2nd line/3rd line center who is not coming within a country mile of putting up numbers anywhere close to the 05-06/06-07 seasons.

Yes he had a reputation for scoring some big playoff goals, but in the end, his last series as a Sabre consisted of 1 goal and 2 assists as Ottawa spanked them in 5 games.

I CAN'T BELIEVE ALL OF THIS DRURY LOVE BECAUSE OF ONE OLYMPIC GAME.

but, but, but he won the little league world series ... that has to count for something..

It's bad enough when one poster comes up with a proposal to trade two top 6 forwards for Drury, but now a second poster is on board with this?

Here is a refresher...Drury is a very average second line center who was able to take advantage of the "new" NHL coming out of the lockout. He would go through large numbers of games where he was no better than a 4th liner and in that regard, he fit right in as a Sabre. Now he is a extremely overpaid 2nd line/3rd line center who is not coming within a country mile of putting up numbers anywhere close to the 05-06/06-07 seasons.

Yes he had a reputation for scoring some big playoff goals, but in the end, his last series as a Sabre consisted of 1 goal and 2 assists as Ottawa spanked them in 5 games.

I CAN'T BELIEVE ALL OF THIS DRURY LOVE BECAUSE OF ONE OLYMPIC GAME.

I dont necessarily buy that argument. You could apply that logic to Briere, but I don't think Drury falls into that category. He was putting up strong numbers in Colorado pre-lockout.

Drury was NEVER a point per game player though. That's not his job, and anyone expecting that needs a reality check.

I would trade Stafford and Pominville for Drury too. Would love to hear your analysis as to what the Sabres are missing and why Stafford and Pominville are valuable enough to not do this.

Pomminstein's line this year.....16 goals, 27 assists, 43 points +10.....60 games

Stafford's line this y ear.......13 goals, 15 assists, 28 points -1 .... 58 games

Drury.....10 goals, 12 assists, 23 points, -11.....57 games.

Sabres 12 points ahead of NYR with 2 games in hand.

Why would I trade those 2 guys for Drury????? It's basically a wash salary wise. Both Sabres are on the right side of 30, Drury is not.

The numbers are enough for me. Would I trade either Sabre to another team? You bet. But not for Chris Drury or other players with the same numbers, same salary and same age. Not a chance. Sorry, not under my watch.

Drury's numbers are awful. His minus 11 wipes out half his points. At least Pommers is a solid plus player. I'm not thrilled with Stafford, he clearly lacks passion and I'd move him before Pomminstein. But dealing both for Drury is a joke. Sorry.

Pomminstein's line this year.....16 goals, 27 assists, 43 points +10.....60 games

Stafford's line this y ear.......13 goals, 15 assists, 28 points -1 .... 58 games

Why would I trade those 2 guys for Drury????? It's basically a wash salary wise. Both Sabres are on the right side of 30, Drury is not.

The numbers are enough for me. Would I trade either Sabre to another team? You bet. But not for Chris Drury or other players with the same numbers, same salary and same age. Not a chance. Sorry, not under my watch.

Drury's numbers are awful. His minus 11 wipes out half his points. At least Pommers is a solid plus player. I'm not thrilled with Stafford, he clearly lacks passion and I'd move him before Pomminstein. But dealing both for Drury is a joke. Sorry.

:thumbsup:

but, but, but he won the little league world series ... that has to count for something..

And Stafford and Pominville (and the rest of this team) have won what, exactly?

With that said, I don't believe it would take both of those guys to land Drury... IF (and it's a big if) Drury himself was willing to leave the Rangers.

And if he was, I would pick him up at the airport. Drury is nowhere near talented enough to carry a bad or mediocre team (see, e.g., the Rangers now and Calgary in 03-04), but he has always, always helped make a good team a great one.

Come on. Are you REALLY quoting statistics? So that's what you think Chris Drury brings to the table - goals and assists? The only thing you said above that I think has any credibility is the "wrong side of 30". Very true. I also think his "best days are behind him"... which is why I agree that paying a heavy price in a trade is risky.

But the main point I think that I and others are trying to make is included in the title of this thread - "intangibles". The Sabres are SORELY lacking in leadership and intangibles. I believe that many Sabres would be better than their current performance with him on the roster. He makes other players better. THAT'S what Chris Drury is all about Charlie Brown. Not statistics.

Come on. Are you REALLY quoting statistics? So that's what you think Chris Drury brings to the table - goals and assists? The only thing you said above that I think has any credibility is the "wrong side of 30". Very true. I also think his "best days are behind him"... which is why I agree that paying a heavy price in a trade is risky.

But the main point I think that I and others are trying to make is included in the title of this thread - "intangibles". The Sabres are SORELY lacking in leadership and intangibles. I believe that many Sabres would be better than their current performance with him on the roster. He makes other players better. THAT'S what Chris Drury is all about Charlie Brown. Not statistics.

I thought that was what Grier brought to the team? :doh: I guess it goes to show you that nobody outside of the players and coaches has little idea what is going on in the locker room in terms of leadership.

I thought that was what Grier brought to the team? :doh: I guess it goes to show you that nobody outside of the players and coaches has little idea what is going on in the locker room in terms of leadership.

I always thought it would be funny if it came out that the guy who really holds this team together in the lockerroom when things get hairy is... Andrej Sekera. You are right -- we really don't know what goes on.

I always thought it would be funny if it came out that the guy who really holds this team together in the lockerroom when things get hairy is... Andrej Sekera. You are right -- we really don't know what goes on.

Can't deny that no one knows what's really going in inside locker room. But we "see what we see" on the ice... and that is a team that Ryan Miller eloquently referred to as a "bunch of fragile little kids" when the going gets tough. Regarding Mike Grier, I think he HAS helped a LOT over last year. I really think he and Montador have brought more intangibles to the Sabres than they are given credit for this year. But I believe that Chris Drury would help that aspect even more and make some of the forwards on this team better yet.

Bottom line: Grier + Montador = Good. Grier + Montador + Drury = Better. Unless you are getting a guy who is a natural 40+ goal scorer or a dominating defenseman, I would rather have a team full of guys like this. And I realize I'm going over the top in what I say I would "give" for Drury. It's mostly to make a point as to what this team lacks. I'm starting to think that maybe the 09-10 Sabres are closer than I think, talent-wise, if they can get the right mix of players to help them play consistently and with confidence.

Can't deny that no one knows what's really going in inside locker room. But we "see what we see" on the ice... and that is a team that Ryan Miller eloquently referred to as a "bunch of fragile little kids" when the going gets tough. Regarding Mike Grier, I think he HAS helped a LOT over last year. I really think he and Montador have brought more intangibles to the Sabres than they are given credit for this year. But I believe that Chris Drury would help that aspect even more and make some of the forwards on this team better yet.

Bottom line: Grier + Montador = Good. Grier + Montador + Drury = Better. Unless you are getting a guy who is a natural 40+ goal scorer or a dominating defenseman, I would rather have a team full of guys like this. And I realize I'm going over the top in what I say I would "give" for Drury. It's mostly to make a point as to what this team lacks. I'm starting to think that maybe the 09-10 Sabres are closer than I think, talent-wise, if they can get the right mix of players to help them play consistently and with confidence.

Stats do tell the story when players are in decline. Drury is in decline. He is not worth Staff and Pommers. Sorry. Stats aside, I wouldn't make that deal.

The Sabres have enough character guys on the team. They don't need Drury to come back for that intangible reason. If he were making $1 million, then I'd be for it, maybe. I find it funny that you call me Charlie Brown because I quoted stats. Yet it's ok for you to just bring up intangibles. They all play a part to fit the puzzle and his intangibles, plus his stats, plus his salary and AGE, don't warrant trading those 2 players. That train has moved on from the station. I'll take the younger guys.

Stats do tell the story when players are in decline. Drury is in decline. He is not worth Staff and Pommers. Sorry. Stats aside, I wouldn't make that deal.

The Sabres have enough character guys on the team. They don't need Drury to come back for that intangible reason. If he were making $1 million, then I'd be for it, maybe. I find it funny that you call me Charlie Brown because I quoted stats. Yet it's ok for you to just bring up intangibles. They all play a part to fit the puzzle and his intangibles, plus his stats, plus his salary and AGE, don't warrant trading those 2 players. That train has moved on from the station. I'll take the younger guys.

We VERY MUCH disagree on the current state of affairs regarding the Sabres "character guys". But I definitely was not calling you Charlie Brown. Haven't you ever seen "A Charlie Brown Christmas"? I was just making a joke because the pivotal scene in that episode says "That's what Christmas is all about, Charlie Brown". And I was saying, "that's what Chris Drury is all about...". It was supposed to be humor. Yeesh.

But I do enjoy the "banter". I don't agree with you at all on Drury, but enjoy the discussion.

We VERY MUCH disagree on the current state of affairs regarding the Sabres "character guys". But I definitely was not calling you Charlie Brown. Haven't you ever seen "A Charlie Brown Christmas"? I was just making a joke because the pivotal scene in that episode says "That's what Christmas is all about, Charlie Brown". And I was saying, "that's what Chris Drury is all about...". It was supposed to be humor. Yeesh.

But I do enjoy the "banter". I don't agree with you at all on Drury, but enjoy the discussion.

You had me at Yeesh. :)

Archived