Chris Drury: Mr. Intangible

VansTheMans

:worthy:

After seeing tonight's USA performance, I got Chris Drury on the mind. He played a FANTASTIC game. His play on the PK, clearing pucks from Miller's crease and his leadership on the ice really stood out. He was even the first player to hug Miller and congratulate him on a STELLAR performance.

To quote Eleven in the Olympic thread,

"Intanglble was on top of Miller as soon as the last whistle blew. Wow. I'm betting NYR doesn't want him; who wants him back and at what price? (And this might become a separate thread.)"

So, what does everyone here think? Dismissing clear logic that the chance of him coming home is a million to one, would you want to see Drury back in blue and gold? What would you be willing to part with?

Me, I'd be willing to part with Derek Roy. At this point in his career, it seems like Derek Roy has hit a ceiling. I think it may be safe to say that what you see is what you get. I'm not sold on his ability to be a number one center, and I grow tired of the Maxim inspired play style has has adopted as of late (even if Lindy seemingly hasn't). The one thing Roy has going for him is that he's a good deal contract wise.

NYR would jump at the chance to have Derek Roy on their squad, as they desperately need more offense. Pretty boy Roy would love it in the city, even though his sausage may miss Clarkey boy.

Drury would bring us all the intangibles that we need to make a deep playoff run. His contract is ridiculous, but it's not impossible to accommodate. Drury wouldn't be afraid to take it to slackers either; I have a feeling all the youngin's would up their play with Chris on top of them in the locker room. I'd bet my bottom dollar Vanek turns things around. I'd even pair them together on the ice.

Let me put it this way: Who would you rather have on the team? Chris Drury or Derek Roy?

Okay, I'm on the Chris Drury wagon. I'll trade anyone for him. Seeing him and Miller at the end of the game almost choked me up a bit because it just looked so right. I was watching with some friends and said out loud "######, give me Chris Drury back right now."

Blocking shots, getting his nose dirty in front, and showing a ton of heart. He's everything the Sabres lack and it's obvious that Miller knows and appreciates it.

Yeah, count me in.

At this point in his career, it seems like Derek Roy has hit a ceiling
I'm not sold on his ability to be a number one center, and I grow tired of the Maxim inspired play style has has adopted as of late

NYR would jump at the chance to have Derek Roy on their squad, as they desperately need more offense

first you bash roy for not playing to his top level as an offensive player.

Then you say the NYR would jump at a chance to have roy for his offensive ability. Damn bro you should be a NHL scout!

If he sucks here, who the hell would you think would want him? and getting a deal like drury for him.. ya ok.

I've always been on the Drury bandwagon, but there's no way we can bring him without NYR buying him out or us seriously slashing some salary.

There is no way they trade him to us..I dont know the ramifications of them buying him out or how it affects there cap..He is a one of a kind player and they cant be replaced..IF he is on the right team in the right role he is worth whatever it takes to have him on your team..NO QUESTION ABOUT IT!!! Losing him set this team back 3-5 yrs...

There is no way they trade him to us..I dont know the ramifications of them buying him out or how it affects there cap..He is a one of a kind player and they cant be replaced..IF he is on the right team in the right role he is worth whatever it takes to have him on your team..NO QUESTION ABOUT IT!!! Losing him set this team back 3-5 yrs...

Well, there are only a few days between the Olympics and the deadline, so maybe not this year. But maybe this summer. And as much as I've ragged on him, I realize that he's pretty important to Miller, who in turn is really important to the team.

Drury is NOT worth his salary, as others have mentioned. Not even close. But we've seen teams deal and carry part of salary, and maybe that can happen this time. (I leave it to the CBA gurus to tell me that can't happen; maybe it can't.)

And as VanstheMans said, most Rags fans want him out of Manhattan, anyway.

You may not care, which is fine. But this isn't an Playstation game, this is the real world and any smart business man will care, thus, Drury isn't coming here. Sorry.

Exactly. Like another poster said, he's a role player making superstar money. Don't want him. One good game in the Olympics where everyone is paid the same, NOTHING, doesn't make me yearn for him in blue and gold. He's clearly shown what type of player he is over the course of an 82 game season. Not a very good one. Unfortunately we can't just have him for playoffs. Then he's ok in my books. But like it was said, move on.

There is no way that they take him back at his current salary. There are only two other options:

1) The Rangers buy him out this Summer. The salary would be $2.167 million for the next four years and, because of the weird contract salaries, would have caps hits of $1.217 million, $4.217 million, $2.167 million and $2.167 million. He would then be an UFA again. Not sure that the Rags want a $4.217 million hole in their cap in 2011-12.

2) The Rangers waive Drury, then (assuming he clears) put him back on re-entry waivers. The Sabres (or any other team) could then claim him and his salary/cap hit would be split between the two teams 50/50 (I think, though there may be some special effects because the salary in his contract is not constant, so like the buyout, there might be some makeup or payback.)

I'd love for either of those two happen, but I wouldn't be crazy about bringing him back at his current salary. Especially not if it takes one of our more cost-effective contracts to do it.

There is no way that they take him back at his current salary. There are only two other options:

1) The Rangers buy him out this Summer. The salary would be $2.167 million for the next four years and, because of the weird contract salaries, would have caps hits of $1.217 million, $4.217 million, $2.167 million and $2.167 million. He would then be an UFA again. Not sure that the Rags want a $4.217 million hole in their cap in 2011-12.

2) The Rangers waive Drury, then (assuming he clears) put him back on re-entry waivers. The Sabres (or any other team) could then claim him and his salary/cap hit would be split between the two teams 50/50 (I think, though there may be some special effects because the salary in his contract is not constant, so like the buyout, there might be some makeup or payback.)

I'd love for either of those two happen, but I wouldn't be crazy about bringing him back at his current salary. Especially not if it takes one of our more cost-effective contracts to do it.

You're one of the CBA experts, so I put it to you: Are teams still permitted to trade a player and carry part of his salary (like the DC-Rags Jagr deal)? Or is that dead now?

Exactly. Like another poster said, he's a role player making superstar money. Don't want him. One good game in the Olympics where everyone is paid the same, NOTHING, doesn't make me yearn for him in blue and gold. He's clearly shown what type of player he is over the course of an 82 game season. Not a very good one. Unfortunately we can't just have him for playoffs. Then he's ok in my books. But like it was said, move on.

Looking past the salary, who would you rather have on your team? Derek Roy or Chris Drury?

You're one of the CBA experts, so I put it to you: Are teams still permitted to trade a player and carry part of his salary (like the DC-Rags Jagr deal)? Or is that dead now?

I am all but certain that you cannot include portions of a player's salary in a trade any more. That died with the new CBA.

I haven't read the section about re-entry waivers lately, but I believe that even in that case, the sharing is specified and not negotiable.

Basically, in waiver claims and trades, the new team takes the whole salary; in re-entry waiver claims, the two teams split it (evenly, I believe); and in buyouts, the old team pays a fraction (1/2 or 2/3 depending on age and maybe NHL years) of the salary over an extended period, but the player becomes a free agent.

Looking past the salary, who would you rather have on your team? Derek Roy or Chris Drury?

It's a silly question. One - what does Derek Roy have to do with this? Two - it isn't a one person team.

For this team, you take Roy and his production. You just can't cut one of your top point-getters because you have a hard-on for the past. You still need to outscore your opponents in the NHL you know. This team lacks scoring and you want to trade what we have for something less? :unsure:

It's a silly question. One - what does Derek Roy have to do with this? Two - it isn't a one person team.

For this team, you take Roy and his production. You just can't cut one of your top point-getters because you have a hard-on for the past. You still need to outscore your opponents in the NHL you know. This team lacks scoring and you want to trade what we have for something less? :unsure:

EXACTLY!

as for answering the question, I'd take Roy thanks. Way younger, still put points on the board, unlike Drury.

Again, this is a 2 week tournament. Drury excels under these conditions, I get it. But the NHL is an 82 game grind and Drury clearly is done in those regards. Unfortunately we need the 82 games to see who gets to the playoffs. Last I looked our team, with Roy, is in if they started today. The Rangers, with Drury, are not.

EXACTLY!

as for answering the question, I'd take Roy thanks. Way younger, still put points on the board, unlike Drury.

Again, this is a 2 week tournament. Drury excels under these conditions, I get it. But the NHL is an 82 game grind and Drury clearly is done in those regards. Unfortunately we need the 82 games to see who gets to the playoffs. Last I looked our team, with Roy, is in if they started today. The Rangers, with Drury, are not.

Numbers dont lie people do and you are correct there..But I gotta say that Drury on this team is the unquestioned leader heart and soul..They followed his lead and he was the perfect captain for this team. With the Rangers he is a number not a leader for whatever reason..He was a different player on the Sabres...I beleive he would still be that player if he was still here..IMO..We will never know but I beleive it with my heart...

OK Chris is not a superstar per se. But I would take a sue-do superstar, who leads, carries the team in clutch situations,and scores the big goal, rather than a 25 to 30 goal scorer,who has done nothing for this team, and I feel with his head hanging and pouting does nothing but bring this team down. I hope our "superstar" has been watching.

ps The Ryan and Chris moment at the end DID bring a tear to my eye.

Archived