Chris Drury: Mr. Intangible

VansTheMans

You had me up to this point. He was never among the 10 best players in the league. Briere, Max and Drury benefitted more from the new NHL than any other players in the league. Their produciton spiked under the new rules and has slipped since. I like Drury as a player, but his legend has far exceeded his performance. Is he cluth? I guess. Is he a good NHL player? Most of the time. Is he a player you pay franchise type money for? Not a chance.

I wouldn't use the phrase franchise-player and Chris Drury in the same sentence either... but I would only do that with two guys - Ovechkin and Crosby. Drury is also getting up there in age now, so I guess you'd have to be careful what you would give to get him. I still think in 2006 you could have made a case for him as a top-10 player in the NHL as I say above. Anyway, I guess the only real point I was trying to make is that Sabres fans would have killed to re-sign Drury in 2007, after watching him perform for 5 years, and were devastated when he left. I don't think that either feeling was a wrong one. What I think is wrong is this re-writing of history that somehow not signing Drury in 2007 wasn't so bad after all.

That's so funny. You can't say "######" on here. I will not reveal where she carries her groceries. It'll be exponentially funnier if people insert their own word.

"On her thighs" :unsure:

I agree with that. I'm a 22 (23 tomorrow) year old man who still has to take stock of my fandom at times. We spend a lot of time on this forum picking away at pie-in-the-sky dreams with logic and numbers. There are posters here who draw ire for being on one side of that balance or the other. Most of the time I find myself on the logic and numbers side, but in this particular instance I'm going to let the dreamer fan in me win out. I liked Drury when he was here and I still like him now, and it saddens me to see him suffering in New York.

My number in sports has always been 23 (for my birthday), and he wears my number. I like the guy, I like how he plays, and I try to model my game after him. I skate hard, I sacrifice my body, and I'm a team player. I like Chris Drury and after last night it will be hard to get the image of him and Miller out of my head, because in my gut, that's the way it should be.

Fans will be coming to forums like this at a younger and younger age, and they will be influenced by their mothers and fathers who read these forums. They will be told their favorite player really isn't that great. It really is the one big downfall of having such a great place like Sabrespace to discuss hockey; we sometimes discuss it to death.

+1, Excellant post. You sir are wise beyond your years. Sometimes life, experiences, etc., can jade you.

I am a fan of being a fan and I salute your salute.

You missed the point. An argument can be made to bring Drury back -- not a great one, but one nonetheless -- but to do so on the basis of one virtually meaningless Olympic game is crazy. Since I don't care for All-Star teams of professionals in the Olympics, I'll have to rely on others to tell me if Drury was that good, and continues to be that good, throughout the tournament. If he is, after the way he's been playing in New York, my respect for him will drop. Same for Miller, after his play before the break.

Drury happened to have a wide open net because of yet another blunder by Brodeur. He did what anyone in that position would do, put it in the empty net. He was better than Phil Kessel on the night, but he also lost a key faceoff late in the game with Canada down 1 goal. They couldn't get the puck out for over 1:24 seconds and were very lucky Miller saved the day.

Let's be real. Drury got an empty net goal, and Miller was gigantic in net. The difference in the game wasn't how well Drury played, it was how well Miller played and how poorly Brodeur played.

As for the hug at the end. ALL the US players looked pretty happy with Miller. Not just Miller and Drury.

The USA beats Canada in the Olympics for the first time in 50 years and it's "virtually meaningless."

What?

Don't look for logic here.

I don't care. Not anymore. Sorry. I'll try to not rain on anyone's parade here. After all, if I don't care about the Olympics, why should I be discussing it? I just couldn't resist when the thread inevitably turned toward bringing Drury back.

From one hockey fan to another, I urge you to watch one of the games before you make up your mind on this. You may not care who wins, but from a sports appreciation perspective, the games are just great.

This. PA, you are missing out. Even the "lesser" teams have had some intense, competitive, fun games to watch.

Big fan of NBA players in the Olympics, then, I take it?

Indifferent. I am of the all or nothing approach. If other countries are going to send pros, then we should as well. If the rest of the world is going to use true amateurs, then we should send college players. Same in the Olympics.

But against my better judgment, I'll bite. What's your point?

Big fan of NBA players in the Olympics, then, I take it?

Speaking of professionals participating in the Olympics. Wouldn't figure skating be interesting if they had to wear the Disney On Ice costumes. I Would love to see a medal podium with Capt. Hook, Shrek and SpongeBob Squarepants standing there as the anthems play.

Speaking of professionals participating in the Olympics. Wouldn't figure skating be interesting if they had to wear the Disney On Ice costumes. I Would love to see a medal podium with Capt. Hook, Shrek and SpongeBob Squarepants standing there as the anthems play.

AKA Toni Lydman, Ronan Tyan and Derek Roy.

Indifferent. I am of the all or nothing approach. If other countries are going to send pros, then we should as well. If the rest of the world is going to use true amateurs, then we should send college players. Same in the Olympics.

But against my better judgment, I'll bite. What's your point?

Well, really, if having a discussion with me is against your better judgment... just forget it. My sincere apologies.

Well, really, if having a discussion with me is against your better judgment... just forget it. My sincere apologies.

Sorry. Was expecting being led down a weird path to a vague point that isn't really related. By all means, continue.

Drury happened to have a wide open net because of yet another blunder by Brodeur. He did what anyone in that position would do, put it in the empty net. He was better than Phil Kessel on the night, but he also lost a key faceoff late in the game with Canada down 1 goal. They couldn't get the puck out for over 1:24 seconds and were very lucky Miller saved the day.

Let's be real. Drury got an empty net goal, and Miller was gigantic in net. The difference in the game wasn't how well Drury played, it was how well Miller played and how poorly Brodeur played.

As for the hug at the end. ALL the US players looked pretty happy with Miller. Not just Miller and Drury.

My praise for Drury goes beyond his goal.

Drury's PK presence was unmatched on the ice. He cleared pucks out of the crease, and his active stick work on the PK was picture perfect.

If anyone has an idea on how to make figure skating more exciting than DeLuca's idea (remember, clothes on, it's the Olympics), I'd really like to hear it. Otherwise, I'm in with Captain Hook.

If anyone has an idea on how to make figure skating more exciting than DeLuca's idea (remember, clothes on, it's the Olympics), I'd really like to hear it. Otherwise, I'm in with Captain Hook.

One of my friends reposted a twitter post suggesting Demolition Ice Dancing, where all of the teams perform their routines at the same time and the last couple standing wins. I kinda like it. Full contact figure skating.

Oh wait, that's a Sabres-Senators game... :unsure:

One of my friends reposted a twitter post suggesting Demolition Ice Dancing, where all of the teams perform their routines at the same time and the last couple standing wins. I kinda like it. Full contact figure skating.

Oh wait, that's a Sabres-Senators game... :unsure:

Actually, the Sens usually play the part of the Broad Street Bullies whenever they face the Sabres.

Talk about a team playing out of character to beat another. And every damn time too.

Oh, and thanks for reminding me of that little "tivalry", during the break, hehe :wallbash:

I replayed the third period last night. Canada started 11 shots at the net during that 1:24. Only a few actually made it on net, but that was intense. Canada was wild, if they had composed themselves during that frenetic period they might have sent some quality shots at the net. It was like free ammo night at Gun show.

I seems to me, if Canada had played like a team, they would have won. The Russians and Americans played more like a team.

My praise for Drury goes beyond his goal.

Drury's PK presence was unmatched on the ice. He cleared pucks out of the crease, and his active stick work on the PK was picture perfect.

One of the commentator's spoke of Drury's movement and stick work on the PK. Pretty much said it couldn't have been done any better.

Some people keep saying he only scored a wide open net goal, and all I can think about is did the people who have that opinion actually watch the game? Drury's on the ice leadership, hustle, always being in position, setting up quality scoring chances, etc... The Sabres do not have a guy like that on the team right now. I'd trade Pomminstein and Stafford for Drury.

I'd trade Pomminstein and Stafford for Drury.

It's bad enough when one poster comes up with a proposal to trade two top 6 forwards for Drury, but now a second poster is on board with this?

Here is a refresher...Drury is a very average second line center who was able to take advantage of the "new" NHL coming out of the lockout. He would go through large numbers of games where he was no better than a 4th liner and in that regard, he fit right in as a Sabre. Now he is a extremely overpaid 2nd line/3rd line center who is not coming within a country mile of putting up numbers anywhere close to the 05-06/06-07 seasons.

Yes he had a reputation for scoring some big playoff goals, but in the end, his last series as a Sabre consisted of 1 goal and 2 assists as Ottawa spanked them in 5 games.

I CAN'T BELIEVE ALL OF THIS DRURY LOVE BECAUSE OF ONE OLYMPIC GAME.

It's bad enough when one poster comes up with a proposal to trade two top 6 forwards for Drury, but now a second poster is on board with this?

Here is a refresher...Drury is a very average second line center who was able to take advantage of the "new" NHL coming out of the lockout. He would go through large numbers of games where he was no better than a 4th liner and in that regard, he fit right in as a Sabre. Now he is a extremely overpaid 2nd line/3rd line center who is not coming within a country mile of putting up numbers anywhere close to the 05-06/06-07 seasons.

Yes he had a reputation for scoring some big playoff goals, but in the end, his last series as a Sabre consisted of 1 goal and 2 assists as Ottawa spanked them in 5 games.

Ottawa had a much better team than the Sabres at that point. We couldnt match them up then and its only gotten worse since.

I think the reason for this bandwagon jumping is that for us fans, that were really pissed they gave him the opportunity to leave the Sabres, It kinda showed us that he really can still be a player that produces in all key elements of a game. Who knows maybe its a a big giant fluke and he will suck the next game. All I know is I would rather have him on this team at center instead of anyone else on the roster we have. Just think how it would open things up for Roy and Connoly who are gifted playmakers going up against 2nd and 3rd lines instead of 1st and 2nd..He would just make this team a whole lot better..Its never gonna happen but it definately reopens some old fire...

Just think how it would open things up for Roy and Connoly who are gifted playmakers going up against 2nd and 3rd lines instead of 1st and 2nd..He would just make this team a whole lot better..Its never gonna happen but it definately reopens some old fire...

You think Drury would be the number one center in Buffalo? He'd be the third line/checking center (making $7 mil!!! :doh: ).

Ottawa had a much better team than the Sabres at that point. We couldnt match them up then and its only gotten worse since.

I think the reason for this bandwagon jumping is that for us fans, that were really pissed they gave him the opportunity to leave the Sabres, It kinda showed us that he really can still be a player that produces in all key elements of a game. Who knows maybe its a a big giant fluke and he will suck the next game. All I know is I would rather have him on this team at center instead of anyone else on the roster we have. Just think how it would open things up for Roy and Connoly who are gifted playmakers going up against 2nd and 3rd lines instead of 1st and 2nd..He would just make this team a whole lot better..Its never gonna happen but it definately reopens some old fire...

I'm just trying to figure this out. The Sabres back then were basically the sabres now, but with Drury as our number one center. So if they weren't good enough back then, why would bringing back Drury now be the answer.

I'm just trying to figure this out. The Sabres back then were basically the sabres now, but with Drury as our number one center. So if they weren't good enough back then, why would bringing back Drury now be the answer.

Because the players Darcy drafted are maturing and getting better each year. Don't you listen to Darcy?

I replayed the third period last night. Canada started 11 shots at the net during that 1:24. Only a few actually made it on net, but that was intense. Canada was wild, if they had composed themselves during that frenetic period they might have sent some quality shots at the net. It was like free ammo night at Gun show.

I seems to me, if Canada had played like a team, they would have won. The Russians and Americans played more like a team.

Good call. I also thought team USA just wanted it a bit more.

One of the commentator's spoke of Drury's movement and stick work on the PK. Pretty much said it couldn't have been done any better.

Some people keep saying he only scored a wide open net goal, and all I can think about is did the people who have that opinion actually watch the game? Drury's on the ice leadership, hustle, always being in position, setting up quality scoring chances, etc... The Sabres do not have a guy like that on the team right now. I'd trade Pomminstein and Stafford for Drury.

I'd love to have Drury back, but I can't get there on this trade proposal. It would be trading an awful contract for an even worse one, and subtracting scoring in the bargain. OTOH, TW's proposal yesterday of Hecht and Rivet is still pretty intriguing.

It's much more than numbers with Drury. I know you don't think it's just a coincidence that they completely fell apart when he left.

Archived