GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

Lindy just said several others are under the weather and at least one in addition to Goose will not be going to the Island ... he said Paetsch may have to play forward ...

Given that ... 2 points are 2 points, I'm not complaining.

Yeah.. I'm looking at the minutes but can't tell who else is out??

Lindy just said several others are under the weather and at least one in addition to Goose will not be going to the Island ... he said Paetsch may have to play forward ...

Given that ... 2 points are 2 points, I'm not complaining.

Makes me wonder how many other guys have the flu (or at least the early stages of it). They are just getting muscled off the puck a little too easily.

There's my "Blind Squirrel" comment.

You gotta love when you play horribly and still get the win.

It was a pretty ugly win, but a win is a win. Here's what I noticed tonight:

-Rivet really looked off tonight. He looked like his legs were in molasses. He looked really slow, much slower than normal, not sure if he's sick like others.

-It is blatantly obvious that this team has missed Grier the last few years. The hustle he showed to force Gustavsson to play the puck on the icing is the kind of hard work and effort that this team has missed. What a great play by Grier.

-The Sabres just didn't seem to have their legs tonight, and I really felt like Toronto outplayed them, especially in the third. Toronto had more shots and chances and it looked like Toronto was getting all the pucks tonight.

-Miller is playing at Elite Goalie level right now. He gave up 2, but he made some amazing saves to keep the Sabres in it because this game could have really gone Toronto's way had it not been for Miller. He was huge tonight.

-I know people have complained about Tim Connolly and his lack of scoring. Well, guess who decided to show up to play tonight? Connolly with 2 goals and an assist. Connolly really needs to start shooting the puck more, he's really got a dangerous shot. I'll take it one game at a time with Connolly, but as long as he continues to stay healthy, he can really make this a better team. It has always been a big if with him, but let's see if he's crossed that hump this year.

-Give credit to Toronto. They came out hard tonight and really trying to find a way to win. The Sabres D blocked a ton of shots tonight, but the Leafs still ended up getting a ton of shots on Miller even with that. They really played well tonight, but the Sabres found a way to get the two points. This is one of those games that may be a turning point in the season where they were completely outplayed in most facets of the game, but they somehow found a way to win even in OT.

By the way, on the Sabres feed, did anyone notice that it said Buffalo is 1-0 in OT. Is that not completely wrong since the Sabres are 8-1-1, and the one OT loss was game 1 of the season against Montreal where Gionta got the OT goal on a bounce off the boards? Don't know how they screwed that up.

Anyway, good win, now onto the Island where presumably Lalime will get the start in net. This will not be good, especially if the team is coming down with the flu. If Lalime starts, I am expecting a loss, especially with the flu bug going around.

Or it could bode well in that Miller is doing his job and earning his money by bailing them out when they need it. Just sayin' ... could ...

This.

They looked really bad the last, about, 30 minutes. The Leafs had several solid chances they didn't convert - the Hockey Gods were with the Sabres.

Miller definitely earned his paycheck tonight; how many goalies other than Miller would that team feel comfortable with behind them?

Figures Myers would have a tough game right after "the announcement". He did make some solid plays, but also made some real bone-headed plays.

Don't these guys get flu shots?

I believe the H1N1 shot hasn't been out long enough for the immunization to take effect... It's a couple weeks after the shot that it really kicks in.

One guy other than Miller that looked healthy was Grier. I wonder what would have happened if he was still here in 06-07. It's great to have him back.

For the record, at 8-1-1 the Sabres have the best 10-game record in the NHL (Penguins were 8-2-0, Avalanche were 7-1-2.) Those teams will be hard to stay ahead of, though, as each has continued to do well.

You keep that information in a spreadsheet, right? Are there any other stats you track?

You keep that information in a spreadsheet, right? Are there any other stats you track?

NO NO! Not yet! It's not time to break out THE GRAPH yet. I was thinking of it, too. But it's too early...

We're finally ahead of last season, too. Our best start since 2006-07.

I track a few other things (Vanek's goals, Roy and Connolly's points, etc.), but mostly I track the progression of teams against a playoff pace (93 or 94 points, depending on my mood.)

-Miller is playing at Elite Goalie level right now. He gave up 2, but he made some amazing saves to keep the Sabres in it because this game could have really gone Toronto's way had it not been for Miller. He was huge tonight.

Uh oh. You just waved big red flag in front of PA.

I think everyone is spot on with the flu analysis. That would definitely explain why the team seemed to crash during the third.

Terrible game; however, I think bouncing back after an atrocious third period and giving up the late tying goal is a good sign. The team of the last two years probably would have lost in OT or the shootout.

I am glad Myers waited until game 10 to start making big mistakes...it was the right decision to keep him up here. I think if he made these mistakes earlier in the season, it would have been a good excuse to send him back to Juniors. Let's hope he bounces back tomorrow.

Hard to like this game, although I agree that it was one they would've lost in the past 2 years. A few notes:

1. Quite a few posters have been complaining about Gaustad's contract, but he was definitely missed tonight.

2. Myers was pretty shaky in the first period, but I thought he settled down and was playing pretty well by the end of the game.

3. Poor effort on the clear by Mac that resulted in Toronto's 1st goal.

4. I thought Vanek and Roy played a bit better tonight. Same with TC and Pommer.

5. Another very strong game by Miller.

6. The flu would be a good explanation for that 3rd period, but it also felt like they were just trying to escape with the win. They ended up doing so, but that kind of 3rd period is going to result in losses more often than not.

7. Let's see how they respond tomorrow night. As I seem to say before every game, this will be an interesting test.

Hard to like this game, although I agree that it was one they would've lost in the past 2 years. A few notes:

1. Quite a few posters have been complaining about Gaustad's contract, but he was definitely missed tonight.

2. Myers was pretty shaky in the first period, but I thought he settled down and was playing pretty well by the end of the game.

3. Poor effort on the clear by Mac that resulted in Toronto's 1st goal.

4. I thought Vanek and Roy played a bit better tonight. Same with TC and Pommer.

5. Another very strong game by Miller.

6. The flu would be a good explanation for that 3rd period, but it also felt like they were just trying to escape with the win. They ended up doing so, but that kind of 3rd period is going to result in losses more often than not.

7. Let's see how they respond tomorrow night. As I seem to say before every game, this will be an interesting test.

They may have been trying to escape with the win...but they looked exhausted out there.

Just my view from the rink... The Sabres looked absolutely horrible tonight. D wasn't coordinated; forwards passed when they should have shot, and shot when they should have passed; and some absolutely stupid penalties (Kennedy taking the bait in the 1st comes to mind, as does Stafford later that period). Nice that they walked away with a win, and they owe that to Miller.*

But it was great to see several one-on-goalie opportunities (only Connolly's was a true breakaway), and I liked the long-pass game in general. There were a lot of two-line passes that would have been outlawed years ago, but that looked terrific the way the Sabs executed them.

Myers looked hungover. Rivet showed some signs of age, both good and bad: he wasn't speedy, but he was directing teammates all over the ice.

Pominville, well, I defended him before with claims that he was learning to be a two-way forward, but he was just sh*tty tonight. As was Roy, for most of the game. The team needs these two to pull it together. Jochen Hecht shouldn't look like a better player than Jason Pominville, but he did tonight.

*On to the asterisk. 35 shots, 33 saves, and that doesn't even begin to tell the story of how Miller won the game tonight. He got one hell of a workout. Miller needs to sit either tomorrow or Wednesday; both games are against the Isles. I'd rather see him play the back-to-back games against Filly and Boston next weekend and let Lalime play next Wed., but I could understand if Ruff were to start Lalime tomorrow. And no, I don't mind if the Sabres concede one game against the Islanders, if it means they win both against the Cryers and Bruins. That just makes sense.

Archived