GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

They may have been trying to escape with the win...but they looked exhausted out there.

Definitely... though, Ive had the flu the last few days... the very last thing i'd want to be doing is playing hockey. Actually the last thing i'd want to be doing is flying to long island. I'm sure it robbed them of their energy by the third. Luckily though they scored that goal to tie we got to take the PP into the OT. 4 on 3 is much nicer than 5 on 4

Didn't see the game but glad they won. Earned a beer out of it.

One thing I have noticed when Myers is mentioned on these threads. Everyone is quick to point out his errors. That's all fine and dandy, but maybe it's time to move on from that. Don't all players make errors?

The reason his errors are noticed so much is because he's under the microscope. Try this. Next game pick another dman and see how many mistakes he makes.

I know Myers has a lot to learn but he's been really good and will only get better. The team is 8-1-1 and hopefully can keep it going and not get sick, as some suggested may be happening.

Just cause:

1. If MacArthur gets any wood/composite on that clear, the first Toronto goals doesn't happen. Instead he flutters it out to White who drilled it back with 1 second left on the PP.

2. I think it was Ponikarovsky who had a golden chance. He swept the puck around Miller and pinged the left post. Miller was clearly beaten.

3. Back to Back 5 on 3s in the same game should have amounted to more than one Sabres goal. Instead the second one was nullified by a Sabres penalty that resulted in the first Toronto goal.

4. Miller played Stepniak perfectly on that shorthanded breakaway.

5. Vanek had some chances last night. He just didn't bury them. He did collect a rare assist.

6. What a weird sequence to end the game. Stajan takes a stupid penalty nullifying their 6 on 5. They still manage to score on a tip, short handed with 30 seconds left. OT begins 4 on 3 and Buffalo buries them.

7. For all the concern about faceoffs, Buffalo held their own and ended up even-ish. They won the key ones more than not on the PP.

8. Gustavsson made some quality saves last night. He deserved better.

9. Montreal and Rangers both lost last night. Rangers stay 4 games played ahead of the Sabres and the Sabres have caught them in points. Caps lose in OT and Pitt storms back from 0-2, and 1-3 to win 4-3. And they don't have Malkin.. Clearly they're the class of the conference right now.

10. OV got his 14th last night. I'm actually taking my kids to see him next weekend versus Florida in DC. 4 tickets under 100 bucks.. Couldn't pass it up.

I think everyone is spot on with the flu analysis. That would definitely explain why the team seemed to crash during the third.

Terrible game; however, I think bouncing back after an atrocious third period and giving up the late tying goal is a good sign. The team of the last two years probably would have lost in OT or the shootout.

I am glad Myers waited until game 10 to start making big mistakes...it was the right decision to keep him up here. I think if he made these mistakes earlier in the season, it would have been a good excuse to send him back to Juniors. Let's hope he bounces back tomorrow.

But for the several big mistakes (and Ryan after the game suggested the hooking penalty was a blatant dive), Myers always seems to keep rollling along, making positive plays to balance the ledger. The big man got down to save a sure goal (at least that's how I remember it) and drew a hooking penalty at the other end, both in the third period. The mistakes have been few and far between -- they don't seem to add up on him.

Uh oh. You just waved big red flag in front of PA.

I have no problem agreeing that Miller has been playing at an elite level this season. We've seen these stretches before, including, I believe, last season. When he does this for a whole season, then we've got something. It bothers me that apparently it takes an Olympic year for him to do it, but I'm thrilled he is. Whatever floats his boat.

Just cause:

1. If MacArthur gets any wood/composite on that clear, the first Toronto goals doesn't happen. Instead he flutters it out to White who drilled it back with 1 second left on the PP.

3. Back to Back 5 on 3s in the same game should have amounted to more than one Sabres goal. Instead the second one was nullified by a Sabres penalty that resulted in the first Toronto goal.

Pretty sure a forechecking leaf got his stick on Mac's as Mac was trying to clear -- but Mac still needed to make a better play. He had possession for long enough to clear it.

As for nullifying the 2nd 5-on-3, I thought the penalty on Stafford was a make-up call.

But for the several big mistakes (and Ryan after the game suggested the hooking penalty was a blatant dive), Myers always seems to keep rollling along, making positive plays to balance the ledger. The big man got down to save a sure goal (at least that's how I remember it) and drew a hooking penalty at the other end, both in the third period. The mistakes have been few and far between -- they don't seem to add up on him.

Yes.

Pitt storms back from 0-2, and 1-3 to win 4-3. And they don't have Malkin.. Clearly they're the class of the conference right now.

Buffalo has beaten both teams (New Jersey and Phoenix) that have beaten the Penguins.

Having said that, I'm certainly not disagreeing with you. I just found that interesting. We'll see how real the Sabres are with how they perform this month. I remain cautiously optimistic.

Buffalo has beaten both teams (New Jersey and Phoenix) that have beaten the Penguins.

Having said that, I'm certainly not disagreeing with you. I just found that interesting. We'll see how real the Sabres are with how they perform this month. I remain cautiously optimistic.

Ahh, the tortured Buffalo fans lament... I do agree.

As PA said in another thread, all the other teams now have 10 game scouting report to see what Bflo has been doing and can game plan, however only the better teams that have the player's and coaches who can adjust their systems are typically able to do that. This is where we often hear teams/players say they do not worry what other team does they want to dictate their system/style of play on them and that is generally true to the point you keep it even or get the lead (and do not play it safe)..... Jury is still out with me whether Bflo's players can continue to impose their system on other's especially when injuries/illness's and fatique set in(e.g. back to backs). A reason for more optimism is I'm still waiting for our top line to look like and contribute like a top line...hopefully it's a slump and not the system thats holding them back

Surely some elderly Sabres fan *cough* PA *cough* could forego theirs and see that it goes to Miller instead... :)

Good one.

Actually the elderly will be the very last to receive the swine flu vaccine, if any's left. And, yeah, it pisses me off.

Archived