GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

7:30pm

This is the first big test of the team now that we're good. Sure, the Sabres played montreal at the beginning of the season, but nobody really knew what they had. Now, we all know that htis team is playing great defense, they're gritty again, and they can roll 4 lines effectively. This has the making of a playoff team. However, they cannot call themselves a good team till t hey beat some division teams, which of course starts tonight. A great way to start this weekend would be to beat the snot out of the leafs!

Personally, I think this is a bigger test than the Devils game. They cannot let down for the "easier" teams. This will be a good measure as to whether they are truly maturing.

Personally, I think they are.

The sad thing about it is my it's no longer fun to give my Leaf fan family a hard time about them. They've lost interest, they been bad for so long. Kind've reminds me of another team. :ph34r:

Sabres, 3-1.

Don't know what Lindy's decision is, but I think tonight would be a great night to start Lalime. I think Lindy should start playing Lalime on the front end of back-to-backs instead of on the back end. If we assume that the team is not tired and ready for the front end, Lalime would be better suited to start the game as the team in front of him will likely perform better. If we assume that on the back end of the back-to-back that the team is tired and potentially comes out flat, I'd rather have Miller in goal who could at least bail the team out when they may not have their legs to start the game. I'm hoping Lalime starts tonight and Miller start tomorrow night on the Island, but we'll see.

Either way, I think the top 6 breaks out with a strong game. 2 from Vanek, 1 from General, 1 from Roy, and one from Matty Ice. Sabres win 5-2.

Don't know what Lindy's decision is, but I think tonight would be a great night to start Lalime. I think Lindy should start playing Lalime on the front end of back-to-backs instead of on the back end. If we assume that the team is not tired and ready for the front end, Lalime would be better suited to start the game as the team in front of him will likely perform better. If we assume that on the back end of the back-to-back that the team is tired and potentially comes out flat, I'd rather have Miller in goal who could at least bail the team out when they may not have their legs to start the game. I'm hoping Lalime starts tonight and Miller start tomorrow night on the Island, but we'll see.

The logic is good, but I still think Lindy will start Miller.

Prediction: Sabres get a sloppy W, 4-2.

I'm kind of sick of the whole "these bad teams are the first big test" idea. Screw that. Bring on Pittsburgh. Bring on Philly. Bring on our kryptonite Ottawa. That's the real test. Until then, they're all big games anyway. Keep building up those points.

Exactly, Buffalo at home on a Friday night against the Leafs - whatever...This group should and will win

I'm kind of sick of the whole "these bad teams are the first big test" idea. Screw that. Bring on Pittsburgh. Bring on Philly. Bring on our kryptonite Ottawa. That's the real test. Until then, they're all big games anyway. Keep building up those points.

While I agree with you, I think the Sabres still haven't shaken off the "this is what would have happened last season" stigma. Rightfully so, too, IMHO.

This is the kind of game that killed their record last year - riding high on a great road series; bottom-feeding, struggling team coming into HSBC - this would be a guaranteed struggle if not a complete loss last season.

The stage is set for disappointment - and it's not OUR fault - it's the team's - that at least some of us are still leary. We have two seasons of disappointment to go on.

So, I think we either see a low-effort game where the Sabres lose by a point, or a blow-out where the Sabres have their way with the Leafs horrible D and goal-tending.

While I agree with you, I think the Sabres still haven't shaken off the "this is what would have happened last season" stigma. Rightfully so, too, IMHO.

This is the kind of game that killed their record last year - riding high on a great road series; bottom-feeding, struggling team coming into HSBC - this would be a guaranteed struggle if not a complete loss last season.

The stage is set for disappointment - and it's not OUR fault - it's the team's - that at least some of us are still leary. We have two seasons of disappointment to go on.

So, I think we either see a low-effort game where the Sabres lose by a point, or a blow-out where the Sabres have their way with the Leafs horrible D and goal-tending.

Exactly. Really, after last year, how could anyone NOT think there is a real risk of a desultory, mail-it-in performance by the Sabres tonight? I need to see quite a few more professional, focused, grind-it-out wins against bottom dwellers before I'm ready to not worry about these games and look forward only to the heavyweight matchups.

(BTW, teams like the Leafs and Islanders are "bottom dwellers", not "bottom feeders"; the Sabres, if they consistently beat the "bottom dwellers", will be "bottom feeders" -- i.e. those feeding off the dreck at the bottom.)

Sabres better win because I would like to spend the time in the NHL Chat room busting out Leave fans. They have got to be the most annoying fans with a team that has been one of the most incompetently managed teams over the last number of years. In fact, have the Leaves done anything since Lanny McDonald left them?

(BTW, teams like the Leafs and Islanders are "bottom dwellers", not "bottom feeders"; the Sabres, if they consistently beat the "bottom dwellers", will be "bottom feeders" -- i.e. those feeding off the dreck at the bottom.)

Yes, yes. Cut me some slack; I posted that before having a cup of coffee in me.

So no Gaustad tonight... That changes the flavor of things...

Indeed, especially against the undertalented but chippy Leafs. Mair's no shrinking violet, but he'll probably get about 8 minutes as compared with the 15-16 that Gaustad usually gets. The Sabres will be smaller and less physical overall with Gaustad out.

Also they will not win many faceoffs tonight with Goose out. I was starting to enjoy the old take the faceoff and then pull the switch.

And the Leafs have 7 guys over 50% FOW, we only have 2, Roy and Ellis. Looks like they'll be doing that "play the faceoff like we'll lose it" thing.

I'm at the game tonight, we'll see if we have bloody Leaf fans by the time it's over.

Archived