Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

I have a Surface Pro 3 and am pretty happy with it.  My understanding is that there isn't much difference between the SP3 and the SP4.

One caution:  quite a few SP3 users have reported problems with battery life (and mine isn't great either) -- so if you buy one used, I would suggest grilling the owner about this point.

Good luck.

Picking up a SP3 or 4 used isn't a bad idea. Takes a little bit of the bite off the upfront cost and you end up with a computer instead of just a tablet. 

I have a Surface Pro 3 and am pretty happy with it.  My understanding is that there isn't much difference between the SP3 and the SP4.

One caution:  quite a few SP3 users have reported problems with battery life (and mine isn't great either) -- so if you buy one used, I would suggest grilling the owner about this point.

Good luck.

Thanks for the input! 

One of my former students got a used surface book and likes it a lot. He let me try it out- it's got some lag and memory issues that I'd have to settle for. 

I'd love to find a used one somewhere. It's tough- all the other digital art people have the same idea haha 

At this point I might just pony up the bucks for a newer pro and hope it lasts a few years/take the tax cut. My laptop stopped being usable for art some time ago, and it kills my productivity if I'm traveling. 

Thanks for the input! 

One of my former students got a used surface book and likes it a lot. He let me try it out- it's got some lag and memory issues that I'd have to settle for. 

I'd love to find a used one somewhere. It's tough- all the other digital art people have the same idea haha 

At this point I might just pony up the bucks for a newer pro and hope it lasts a few years/take the tax cut. My laptop stopped being usable for art some time ago, and it kills my productivity if I'm traveling. 

I bought mine on ebay last year.  My recollection is that there were quite a few available.  You of course have to live with the inherent risk of buying on ebay, but I have found that if you stick to sellers with 100% positive feedback, and plenty of feedback as a seller, it's generally a positive experience -- and probably safer than buying it used elsewhere.

Ten days ago I had to replace an 8 month old tire because of a nail. This morning? Nail in the same tire.

In that vein, run-flat tires.  I've owned a bunch of cars with regular old non-run-flats and never replaced a tire.  So far, I've had to replace three of the run-flats on my current vehicle. One had a chunk of metal in it (you can't just yank the foreign object and patch it), the other two succumbed to a nasty pothole (which caused tennis ball sized bulges on the sidewalls). Next vehicle?  Non-run-flats.....

Ten days ago I had to replace an 8 month old tire because of a nail. This morning? Nail in the same tire.

What in the world kind of nail did you run over? I've had a few nails/screw-related incidents before, but never had to replace the tire to fix it.

My mom is (again) digging herself into a financial hole.  She's stopped paying my brother full rent, her car has bad tires that she can't afford to replace, the car A/C doesn't work (a significant issue in AZ), and now she's decided she's going to have to miss a car payment so she can afford to get surgery for her cat to remove a growth from her ears.  I want to help, but I've got my own things to deal with and it's so hard watching someone slowly destroy themselves, over and over again.   :(

My brother decides to come home for a couple days from school just because. And he's sick as a dog. Thanks, bro. 

In case people can't tell, I'm borderline obsessive about germs

Same. I'd rather camp in a tent than be near someone virally sick, especially if it's stomach related. I live in borderline paranoia over norovirus and food poisoning or anything that can bring on the barfs. 

Speaking of sick, not to revive the thread-that-shall-not-be-named, but today the future for myself and many of my friends and family just got a lot darker. I'm kind of a mess about it. The electronics stuff from earlier is small potatoes, thanks universe for reminding me. Hoping things work out. Sorry for mentioning it. Please don't rip my head off. 

Same. I'd rather camp in a tent than be near someone virally sick, especially if it's stomach related. I live in borderline paranoia over norovirus and food poisoning or anything that can bring on the barfs. 

Speaking of sick, not to revive the thread-that-shall-not-be-named, but today the future for myself and many of my friends and family just got a lot darker. I'm kind of a mess about it. The electronics stuff from earlier is small potatoes, thanks universe for reminding me. Hoping things work out. Sorry for mentioning it. Please don't rip my head off. 

He doesn't have any sick-person-etiquette either, which is why he gets sick so often and why the whole house does when he is. I think this might be the fourth or fifth cold/bug of some sort he's had since the spring semester started in January. It's unreal. I always tell him, you know, it doesn't have to be that way with a few minor lifestyle changes, you could feel good MORE than half the time, but nope.

Yeah I read some of that today. That's just deplorable 

If we're referring to the same thing that is

Yeah I read some of that today. That's just deplorable 

If we're referring to the same thing that is

Fingers crossed that the Senate kills it.   :ph34r:

He doesn't have any sick-person-etiquette either, which is why he gets sick so often and why the whole house does when he is. I think this might be the fourth or fifth cold/bug of some sort he's had since the spring semester started in January. It's unreal. I always tell him, you know, it doesn't have to be that way with a few minor lifestyle changes, you could feel good MORE than half the time, but nope.

My brother was like that growing up... he'd get sick and would intentionally cough into the cupboards to try and take the rest of us down with him.  Always happened right before a winter chorus concert and I'd be all froggy because of him.   <_<

My brother was like that growing up... he'd get sick and would intentionally cough into the cupboards to try and take the rest of us down with him.  Always happened right before a winter chorus concert and I'd be all froggy because of him.   <_<

I would literally call the authorities

I would literally call the authorities

I would find subtle ways to torture him. Like replacing his sugar with salt, or messing with alarms, or setting his room on fire after locking his door...

I'll be a terrible mom someday. "Oh, you have one of the 800 flubugs/colds/general illnesses going around the cesspool of germs we call a school? Cool, have daddy clean up your bodily fluid explosions, I'll be living in the shed out back until you're better." It's one of the completely irrational reasons I'm terrified to ever have children. 

Yep.

Edited by Josie914

I would find subtle ways to torture him. Like replacing his sugar with salt, or messing with alarms, or setting his room on fire after locking his door...

I'll be a terrible mom someday. "Oh, you have one of the 800 flubugs/colds/general illnesses going around the cesspool of germs we call a school? Cool, have daddy clean up your bodily fluid explosions, I'll be living in the shed out back until you're better." It's one of the completely irrational reasons I'm terrified to ever have children. 

Yep.

True story:  several years ago my brother wanted to make Thanksgiving dinner for everyone, but he definitely underestimated the amount of work involved.  He stayed up super late trying to get everything done and managed to get all the dishes together, but when we got to dessert, we realized in his tired rush he'd accidentally grabbed cumin instead of cinnamon.  We all kind of politely tried not to make faces as we were eating it, but it was so gross.  We still tease him today about his specialty Mexican cheesecake.   :lol:

True story:  several years ago my brother wanted to make Thanksgiving dinner for everyone, but he definitely underestimated the amount of work involved.  He stayed up super late trying to get everything done and managed to get all the dishes together, but when we got to dessert, we realized in his tired rush he'd accidentally grabbed cumin instead of cinnamon.  We all kind of politely tried not to make faces as we were eating it, but it was so gross.  We still tease him today about his specialty Mexican cheesecake.   :lol:

When my parents were dating, my GrandmaPie made cookies and accidentally added a cup of salt instead of sugar. My mom managed to eat one with a straight face before someone else tried one and spit it out. They threw them out in the yard but even the birds wouldn't touch them. :)

Complaint: It's all work, all the time.

Edited by MattPie

When my parents were dating, my GrandmaPie made cookies and accidentally added a cup of salt instead of sugar. My mom managed to eat one with a straight face before someone else tried one and spit it out. They threw them out in the yard but even the birds wouldn't touch them. :)

:lol: yikes, your mom must be a saint!

I made a birthday cake for a former boyfriend once and did something like this. I'd made the cake several times, but in a moment of unobservant stupidity, I mistook baking soda for baking powder. The result was a beautifully decorated cake that tasted like salt.

His roommate played Taps on a kazoo as we tipped it into the garbage bin.

Fingers crossed that the Senate kills it. :ph34r:

If by "it" you mean this particular bill, that's almost guaranteed.

But almost as guaranteed is the Senate passes some kind of more incremental ACA reform the left won't like, and that something will get through the House and conference committee (with the Freedom Caucus a no, but the moderates who voted against the AHCA getting back on board). This essentially served as a signal to the Senate that the House is capable of passing health reform. Without that signal, the Senate wasn't going to go through the political hassle of doing anything. But with the signal sent, the Senate will do something that has a good chance to become law, though probably short of the full repeal/replace many on the right hoped for.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

But almost as guaranteed is the Senate passes some kind of more incremental ACA reform the left won't like, and that something will get through the House and conference committee (with the Freedom Caucus a no, but the moderates who voted against the AHCA getting back on board). This essentially served as a signal to the Senate that the House is capable of passing health reform. Without that signal, the Senate wasn't going to go through the political hassle of doing anything. But with the signal sent, the Senate will do something that has a good chance to become law, though probably short of the full repeal/replace many on the right hoped for.

We can only hope.

Now before I get banned for veering into politics, a lame complaint:  I'm tired.  Felt good to be more productive yesterday at work, but wish I'd gotten motivated in the afternoon instead of in the evening.   :death:

I'm interested to see how it is modified when it goes through the Senate. Hopefully there will be better protections for pre-existing conditions. That is a line that the GOP has promised not to cross, and from what I understand, this bill in its current incarnation crosses that line. Honestly most on the right just want to control the premium increases and rising costs of deductibles. Obamacare helps a lot of people, but it also hurts a lot of people too. Has to be a better way.

I'm interested to see how it is modified when it goes through the Senate. Hopefully there will be better protections for pre-existing conditions. That is a line that the GOP has promised not to cross, and from what I understand, this bill in its current incarnation crosses that line. Honestly most on the right just want to control the premium increases and rising costs of deductibles. Obamacare helps a lot of people, but it also hurts a lot of people too. Has to be a better way.

Yea, it'll be really interesting to watch. A lot will depend on how much the parliamentarian lets them squeeze through reconciliation, because I genuinely believe (perhaps naively) not even McConnell wants to nuke the legislative filibuster.