Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

Insurance jobs will contact you pretty much regardless of what your resume and work experience says. I worked in that field (along with financial advising) for a few years about a decade ago. They are always looking for insurance agents because there is extremely high turnover and the positions are all pretty much 100% commission based so they can hire 10 people every day and it doesn't matter because they only have to pay you if you sell somebody a policy and make them money.

Weird, right?  And they've been oddly aggressive about it.  The one yesterday left a voicemail saying they wanted to schedule me for an interview next Tues.  I didn't apply to your job and you don't even know if I'm interested, but you have the audacity to try and schedule me for an interview?  So very stupid.  They must just be desperate for people and contact everyone who adds a resume or something.

Thanks, Chris... I've used Indeed some, but hadn't heard of dice.com.  I'll check that one out.  There are several others geared towards scientists, but a huge majority of the postings are for either junior / entry-level people or PhDs.  I fall into a rather unfortunate grey area of highly experienced but "not qualified" based on the MS vs PhD.  I'm tempted to start applying to PhD positions and write in the cover letter why they should consider me anyhow.

Definitely start doing that.  You're probably overqualified for a lot of those positions.

Definitely start doing that.  You're probably overqualified for a lot of those positions.

I know I am because many of them say PhD with 0-2 yrs experience.  Someone who went straight from undergrad through their PhD only has 3-5 years of research experience, and only in one area.  I've been in 4 different labs over 13 years AND have the MS, so I *should* be a better candidate, but I need to find a way to distinguish myself from someone who maybe got a MS right out of undergrad and has worked in positions with less responsibility than I have.  It's a tricky thing and people get too hung up on the degree without thinking rationally about who really has the better experience.

Edited by biodork

I know I am because many of them say PhD with 0-2 yrs experience.  Someone who went straight from undergrad through their PhD only has 3-5 years of research experience, and only in one area.  I've been in 4 different labs over 13 years AND have the MS, so I *should* be a better candidate, but I need to find a way to distinguish myself from someone who maybe got a MS right out of undergrad and has worked in positions with less responsibility than I have.  It's a tricky thing and people get too hung up on the degree without thinking rationally about who really has the better experience.

I think you can do that in your cover letter and how you format your CV.  Definitely highlight the work experience and sound confident in your ability while at the same time addressing your lack of PhD and turning it into a positive. 

I've been checking there and Roswell periodically, but nothing so far that matches my expertise.  :(

(I don't have experience with liquid chromatography and mass spec.)

Upon closer inspection, it appears I may need to replace some drywall... I can see several places where they've eaten tracks close to the wall surface.  :(

Nah, all you need is some white toothpaste and a fresh coat of paint. ;)

I've been checking there and Roswell periodically, but nothing so far that matches my expertise.   :(

(I don't have experience with liquid chromatography and mass spec.)

Come one, everyone has dabbled in liquid chromatography and mass spec at some point in their lives.  I was into that stuff right up through 7th grade until I discovered nuclear particle physics.

Woke up on Monday with bloodshot eyes and could barely breathe. Assumed it was allergies. It's Thursday now and nothing I've taken has worked. Between the crippling headaches and non stop runny nose I'm a useless mess this week. Ugh.

Found out a little over a month ago that a friend of the family's wife was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. So that sucks. Then, yesterday, I found out the friend of the family himself was just diagnosed with prostate cancer (technically not official yet, but his doctor basically told him he has it and it's just a question of how advanced it is). So now he's probably going to be dealing with cancer treatments while he's supposed to be taking care of her, and I don't even want to think about the worst case scenario here. That is what we call being dealt a hand.

I still have dreams about my ex.  I don't want her back, I'm much happier now.  It just sucks that I'm still dealing with the fallout from that relationship.  On the flip side, that's about the lamest complaint ever so I'm doing ok.

Condolences to you about your friends, blue.  :(

What he said.

I'm sorry about your Dad.

I'm sorry, Blue and shrader.  :(  And d4rk, I hope you feel better!  My complaint this week is shallow but I'm gonna say it anyhow.

I have to go to a baby shower on Saturday for a friend from high school.  First off, I dislike baby showers even more than I dislike babies.  Trying to guess baby food flavors and playing other stupid games while pretending to fawn over little clothes and the like... ugh.  And there's usually no booze, except there might be for this one because her mother is a functioning alcoholic.  The really horrible part of the shower is that her mom, who is hosting, lives in a trailer park.  I've been there before and it's not a bad area or home, and she's a nice lady, but FFS how are you going to host a baby shower in a trailer on a tiny lot in a trailer park?!?  WTF?

I'm sorry, Blue and shrader. :( And d4rk, I hope you feel better! My complaint this week is shallow but I'm gonna say it anyhow.

I have to go to a baby shower on Saturday for a friend from high school. First off, I dislike baby showers even more than I dislike babies. Trying to guess baby food flavors and playing other stupid games while pretending to fawn over little clothes and the like... ugh. And there's usually no booze, except there might be for this one because her mother is a functioning alcoholic. The really horrible part of the shower is that her mom, who is hosting, lives in a trailer park. I've been there before and it's not a bad area or home, and she's a nice lady, but FFS how are you going to host a baby shower in a trailer on a tiny lot in a trailer park?!? WTF?

I've done my best in life to avoid surrounding myself with people who enjoy pedantic things like baby showers, bachelor parties with strippers, etc. There are a lot of tired "traditions" that I have no interest in propagating.