Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

This.

As a girl who is surrounded by girls my age getting rocks on their fingers and babies in their bodies, I understand. I can't meet up with anyone I haven't seen in awhile without getting the "so..... you getting married soon? Kids? House?". Half the kids I know going that route are having this mid twenties biological clock meltdown - as my friend who's marrying the wrong man this fall said recently "well, he's handsome, i guess we'll make it work, he won't ###### up anymore because divorce is a bitch and this is the last chance I'll be able to have my wedding before I get too old and it's a joke".

Upon me explaining to someone that no, it's going to be a few years before I myself don a white dress and sashay down any aisle or pop out any grandbabies, I was told "better hurry up or you'll be too old and have to adopt". :wallbash:

I think a lot of people forget there's a marriage after the sparkly party is over.

oof. sorry. Liger's complaint hit my 24 year old girl rant nerve. I'm so sick of people telling me where I should be on the good little housewife scale. Nothing wrong with whatever choices you make, babies and marriage are wonderful when it's right for you, just stop expecting me to do the same thing.

You do you, Liger, it'll work out for you.

Also, holy crap weave, that sucks. :(

THIS, all day long. You think it's bad now? Wait until you're in your 30s. Most of my friends were already married, and almost none of them are childless at this point. I love my friends but as the years go by I have less and less in common with them, and that makes me sad.

Webinars where the audio won't work unless you call in. WTF is the point of a webinar if I have to call in vs. just using my computer speakers/headset? Stupid.

THIS, all day long. You think it's bad now? Wait until you're in your 30s. Most of my friends were already married, and almost none of them are childless at this point. I love my friends but as the years go by I have less and less in common with them, and that makes me sad.

My sister is 30. She's never had a date in her life, never been kissed, etc. etc. Just now she kind of wants to look into the dating world, and she's not having any luck. And the losing touch with friends- very much so. She's never had an easy time making friends, but it's really hard now. Socially, I'd say she's just now hitting about 20 years old.

It sucks for me, sure, but when people find out about my sister, it's this near level of outrage which then fizzles into "your poor mother" and "what a shame, what a waste, she'll be a spinster for life". Reeaallly not helping her out. Also, inexcusable.

My sister is 30. She's never had a date in her life, never been kissed, etc. etc. Just now she kind of wants to look into the dating world, and she's not having any luck. And the losing touch with friends- very much so. She's never had an easy time making friends, but it's really hard now. Socially, I'd say she's just now hitting about 20 years old.

It sucks for me, sure, but when people find out about my sister, it's this near level of outrage which then fizzles into "your poor mother" and "what a shame, what a waste, she'll be a spinster for life". Reeaallly not helping her out. Also, inexcusable.

Yeah that's not cool at all. Happiness is up you, and if your sister has been happy on her own, then who is anyone else to judge?

Thanks for the advice. I'll do my best.

Second complaint of the day. Just found out that the IP authentication range will not be happening until we have a new Director or roughly another 6 months. I am so pissed about this because it should be something that has already happened. It one of those stupid little problems that should not exist.

And this is a lame complaint, but I can't believe I have to wait almost 4 months now for another episode of Marvel's Agents of SHIELD! :( The finale was awesome... so hooked.

I feel ya! I was bummed that the season ended.

Salaried =\= Infinite work hours.

Americans really need to get a grasp on this.

I just grasped this concept. I work my 40 - 45 now and that's it.

Also...our company is making shitastic decisions that are forcing/encouraging people to jump ship. Things including anemic raises, then turning around and burning a ###### ton of money to replace carpets (that aren't that old) and add flower beds, etc. People are sick of it and it's really sad.

I just grasped this concept. I work my 40 - 45 now and that's it.

Same here. I haven't gone full Office Space yet, but I certainly don't stick my neck out anymore. I'm in a position now that if I left or was let go I'd be fine for a few years not working. Some days it's so tempting to kiss this corporate BS goodbye knowing that I have that option.

Yep, everywhere I look now... babies. The wife and I aren't getting that push much right now, but we constantly harassed by her mother about buying a house. Right now she's practically ordering my wife to go look at a house that's not even on the market. What exactly does that accomplish? We'll do a drive by and learn that the house is white. That's a great use of my free time.

The market out here is ridiculously overpriced. Anything decent starts at $400k. I'm not going to move on anything until I know the finances are in a very good place. I'm not going to rush into a down payment that completely drains every penny and a monthly mortgage payment that burns up our entire salary.

And on that note, a complaint from me. I was looking at house listings randomly this week and I found a newly listed house that just went on the market at a surprisingly low price. Everything looked good on this one, a little on the small side, but recently renovated and had a huge yard. The first open house was scheduled for this upcoming sunday so we were going to go. Today I find out that the house is already gone. Damn people move fast.

Yep, everywhere I look now... babies. The wife and I aren't getting that push much right now, but we constantly harassed by her mother about buying a house. Right now she's practically ordering my wife to go look at a house that's not even on the market. What exactly does that accomplish? We'll do a drive by and learn that the house is white. That's a great use of my free time.

The market out here is ridiculously overpriced. Anything decent starts at $400k. I'm not going to move on anything until I know the finances are in a very good place. I'm not going to rush into a down payment that completely drains every penny and a monthly mortgage payment that burns up our entire salary.

And on that note, a complaint from me. I was looking at house listings randomly this week and I found a newly listed house that just went on the market at a surprisingly low price. Everything looked good on this one, a little on the small side, but recently renovated and had a huge yard. The first open house was scheduled for this upcoming sunday so we were going to go. Today I find out that the house is already gone. Damn people move fast.

Yeah, I had that experience when I was buying, too... if you see something you like in your price range, you have to be ready to move and make decisions quickly. That being said, it sounds like you guys are doing the smart thing by holding off until you find something more affordable. I love having a house I can call my own, but there are many, many (many) times when I wish I'd continued to rent for about 2/3 the monthly rate.

Same here. I haven't gone full Office Space yet, but I certainly don't stick my neck out anymore. I'm in a position now that if I left or was let go I'd be fine for a few years not working. Some days it's so tempting to kiss this corporate BS goodbye knowing that I have that option.

People donating their time for the benefit of corporate shareholders with the expectation that there will be some kind of reward is insanity.

You want double the work done? Pay me double, or hire another engineer.

Especially with engineers. You're in a position where they can't just go hire someone else, because there is a shortage. Quit giving your labor away for free.

People donating their time for the benefit of corporate shareholders with the expectation that there will be some kind of reward is insanity.

You want double the work done? Pay me double, or hire another engineer.

Especially with engineers. You're in a position where they can't just go hire someone else, because there is a shortage. Quit giving your labor away for free.

There's definitely some of that, but in my line of work it is also to my benefit to put in long hours and get more accomplished, because unless we get another grant, the funding for my job ends in December. My boss doesn't hold it over me or anything like that, but I want him to succeed and in doing so I can also help myself (even I'm working quite a bit more than I'm paid to).

It would be difficult for him to replace me, but what does it matter if he doesn't have the $ to keep me employed?

Yeah, I had that experience when I was buying, too... if you see something you like in your price range, you have to be ready to move and make decisions quickly. That being said, it sounds like you guys are doing the smart thing by holding off until you find something more affordable. I love having a house I can call my own, but there are many, many (many) times when I wish I'd continued to rent for about 2/3 the monthly rate.

My personal favorite is the contradictory message we are sent almost daily. First it'll be "you really need to save for a house", then the next sentence is "now let's go shopping for some new curtains for your apartment since those old ones aren't the right color".

Thanks for the advice. I'll do my best.

I was married 35, babies started at at 37...wife two years younger. Still think sometimes was married a few years to soon.

Now my trivial complaints about spring

Having to cut the grass twice a week.

Magnolia tress droping leaves now, those things are heavy as well and a pain in da arse to bag up(too big for mower to mulch)

lol yeah, the grass... I put down seed about 3 1/2 weeks ago because there are bare patches and areas with more weeds than grass, and the seeds are slowly sprouting but the rest of the yard is a damn jungle! I heard you should wait as long as possible before mowing so the new grass can establish itself, but I'll have to chance it this weekend. Hopefully I can replace my mower blade without cutting myself. :unsure:

Edited by biodork

If it's a gas mower, for the love of god, please disconnect the spark plug.

It's an electric mower, and the instructions look pretty straightforward but I'm just nervous because I've never done it before. I think if I use my heavier leather gardening gloves I should be okay. Kind of embarrassing it's the first I've bothered to maintain the thing after almost 8 years, lol.

and the plumbing hits just keep on coming. I came home to an angry, frustrated wife. She opened the under-the-sink cabinet and found an exploded can of Great Stuff. Sticky foam glued everything under the cabinet together. It must have happened some time this afternoon because alot of the foam was still very tacky. I look at the huge ball of foam to see if I can see where the can leaked. There was a ring of rust around the bottom of the can, and the leak came from the bottom of the can. So.... why did the bottom of the can rust? Closer inspection revealed a small leak in the valve stem packing of one of the shut off valves for the faucet. Of course the floor of the cabinet was wet and dark with mold. I pulled up the cabinet floor and the insulation underneath was wet. FML.

At least this one was quickly fixable. But I still have more Great Stuff to scrape off once it fully cures.

Oh, and dried Great Stuff doesn't come off skin. Or hair. I have several hairless spots on my arms now.

I hope this ###### doesn't come in threes.

Friends trying to set me up. Especially behind my back. I appreciate it, but it's way too early, and the expectation that I'll ask out a woman--even a woman that otherwise I would find irresistible--is ridiculous. Let me have my time, dammit.

Friends trying to set me up. Especially behind my back. I appreciate it, but it's way too early, and the expectation that I'll ask out a woman--even a woman that otherwise I would find irresistible--is ridiculous. Let me have my time, dammit.

I used to f*ing hate this!!! Setting people up is awful. Yeah, they mean well but if you aren't asking then I'd assume you'd rather not be set up.

Edited by ubkev

Wow, some people are completely clueless, aren't they. I'm still ridiculously guarded with what I say to my wife. Even something so little as calling it "your moms house" instead of "your parents house" has me worried.